Hey guys, I'm probably gonna be buying Gibson Les Paul Custom in a few weeks, and I want to install some EMG Zakk Wylde active pickups in it. Now I know that the pickups need a 9V battery to work, so my question is, where is the battery gonna go? Am I gonna have to actually cut a hole in the guitar to place the battery holder?
nah trust me you will have enough room in your cavity since my Eclipse originally came with active EMG the battery was kept in the control bavity you really dont need it
Yeah, most people can easily fit EMgs on LPs.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
actually you will have enough space to do 18v mod since i just checked out my Eclipse you will have enough space for them
Here is a couple of other ideas, get an ESP/LTD Eclipse (they have EMGs 60/81), get the Zakk Wylde Gibson or Epi LP , which has the pickups that you want(just maybe not the design you like). or get an Epi and replace the pickups with EMGs(whole lot cheaper). I Love my Gibson LP, I also have an explorer with 81/85 EMGs, and well they are 2 different axes by far. The Emg 81 is a good pickup for rock, sometimes too trebly but the 85 gets too muddy for my liking. Just Check out a ESP/LTD/Whatever guitar with EMG's, before you mod a Les Paul
Quote by uterus
why would you ruin a les paul? honestly....

I did it on my les paul and i wouldn't call that ruining the guitar.It depends on what
you want to do with your guitar.Since i'm mostly into metal for me it's been a total improvement.Just keep the original hardware in case you want to go back to the original state.
Gear:
Gibson les paul custom (black beauty)
Pickups: Emg 81/85 (zakk wylde set)
Bogner Ubershall
Quote by High Risk 666
Here is a couple of other ideas, get an ESP/LTD Eclipse (they have EMGs 60/81), get the Zakk Wylde Gibson or Epi LP , which has the pickups that you want(just maybe not the design you like). or get an Epi and replace the pickups with EMGs(whole lot cheaper). I Love my Gibson LP, I also have an explorer with 81/85 EMGs, and well they are 2 different axes by far. The Emg 81 is a good pickup for rock, sometimes too trebly but the 85 gets too muddy for my liking. Just Check out a ESP/LTD/Whatever guitar with EMG's, before you mod a Les Paul

yeh but the ESP/LTD Eclipses/EC available in America have a shorter lower horn which imo is very ugly and if you really want the Les Paul then the ts should buy the real deal
Ok first of all, I live in Israel so my options are really limited Gibsons are REALLY expensive over here, about twice the price, I'm not exaggerating...
Anyway I found a great deal on a LP custom and I love the EMG sound so I'm just gonna install 'em in there.
Quote by uterus
why would you ruin a les paul? honestly....

that is a very ignorant statement... what if someone doesn't like the sound they are getting out of the gibson pickups? are they just gonna sit on their asses and keep the same sound they dont like?

the answer is no...

pickups are purely preference... if i got a les paul, i would probably put emgs in mine becuase i like the heavier sound
My Myspace
My Covers
PLEASE WATCH AND COMMMENT

My Gear

Schecter S1 Elite
Line 6 Sypder II 212
Dunlop DB-01 Dime Crybaby From Hell Wah
BOSS PS-5 Super Shifter
BOSS DS-1 Distortion
One thing to remember as well is that when you put EMG's into a guitar that used to have Passive Pickups you need to change the pots in your guitar. If you dont then the EMG's wont work, i cant remember what capacity of pot you will need for EMG's perhaps someone else can come in on that.
its 10K or 25K but its the ballpark around there also you will need to replace your input jack but if i remember right these stuff will come with the pickups
That sounds about right, for some reason i have 18K in my head which makes sense.

Its true that the needed stuff normally comes with it, but its worth mentioning because some folks think its as simple as old pickup out and new in when changing to EMG's...but as we know its a little more work than that so worth forewarning.
The pots have to be replaced with long shaft ones or something like that, but i think the ZW EMG's have long shafted pots anyway.
Ok guys look, I'm a huge Zakk fan and I'm really looking for that great metal tone he has, but I also wanna be able to mellow out and play some SRV as well. Will I be able to do that with the ZW EMG's?
i wouldnt have an absolute clue you could swap the neck for a 60 for the cleaner **** but SRV really did use a dirty tone from his pups so depends on the amp as well