Whenever i play i always use a bit of reverb to clean things up. just so that i dont get that annoying bit of a pick scratch when im doing trem picking and sweeping. and it overall just sounds nicer. but the question is, is little bit of reverb (just enough to cover up the pick scratch, not even to the point where you hear the echo) a cover up or is it a tone booster?

myself i think, if it sounds better then why not do it? what do you think?
Vocals Wanted For:
Tool-Sober, Aenema
Led Zeppelin-The Ocean
Audioslave-Cochise
Sublime-Santeria
Rush-Tom Sawyer, Fly By Night, Limelight
Assorted Original Acoustics

PM if interested
I've never heard anyone call it a cheater knob or cover up... and I'm glad I haven't because that's a retarded thing to say.
what is the music theory and what does it teach you, like scales, solos, and to build speed???

Check out my recordings
For practising, I'd say, stay clean, because you WANT to know what you're not doing perfectly.

For performance, as long as you don't mind the difference in tone, go for it.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
I practice unplugged. Because
1) My amp isn't the greatest
2) I don't wanna annoy people, and I feel embarrassed if someone hears my messy playing
3) Can't be bothered to get the amp out
4) Saves electricity
yeah i understand what you mean about using it as "cover up"
but imo
it doesn't cover it up too much so if someone REALLY sucks... kicking in reverb just makes it a shiny suck.

plus alex lifeson of rush used reverb/chorus all the time
because it sounds better
spring reverb is pretty much essentioal to my tone, so i dont htink its really cheating, i mean i guess you could use it to cover stuff up, but i just like the way it sounds.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Reverb can hide sloppy playing, in a similar way to distortion or compression, but i think it does enhance your tone and make it sound a lot smoother. I wouldnt use it for practising, but for recording or gigging, a little reverb is a must for anyone, in my opinion.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Depends on how you use it.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
nah, I don't think it's a cover up at all, thats like calling your bass knob a "cheater knob"
I love the sound of full on reverb, when its max'd out. But it makes you sound really sloppy.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
If anything is a cheater knob it's the gain knob.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by xifr

2nd.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Most people that can't play or are really sloppy hide their slop behind gobs of gain. I don't use much reverb at all, but it definitely smooths out my lead tone alittle.
I always hate that idea of 'cheating'. That's like saying that banjo is better than guitar because guitar's sound better to most people. It's total bullsh*t.

Reverb sounds good on big, open clean parts, but sh*t on crushing metal riffs. It's a tool; use it if you want to.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
no i think turning up your gain will amplify and mistakes.......................but i listen tooo closely:p
Quote by Danno13

Go cut your wrists or whatever it is you emo kids do for fun, I'm not helping you.

member of UG's gain \/\/hores- pmgpderek09 to join
Quote by spanerman
no i think turning up your gain will amplify and mistakes.......................but i listen tooo closely:p

no if you use gain to the level were talking about it will just sound like a big muddy mess and you wont be able to hear small mistakes.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I only use reverb up 0-3 depending on what i'm playing

and this whole "Cheat" thing is bull crap

I have gain 10 when playing stuff like megadeth, metallica, anthrax or slayer cos its chuggier and really makes power chords sound
i drop it to about 6-7 for stuff like satriani, it never covers up my mistakes, neither does reverb, i can still hear them so then i practice more

if you feel that you can cover your mistakes with shed loads of gain or reverb then you arent going to get anywhere simple
Quote by spanerman

Wow... Turning the gain up is an excuse for covering up slop. Turn it down or use your clean channel to hear your mistakes. I'm mainly talking about lead work, for rhythm it's preference as to how much gain you want for the sound you're after.
Anytime that I'm riffing or playing rock, I never use any reverb(well, thats not true, but I would probably only turn it up to 2 on my Hot Rod Deluxe). Whenever I'm playing open, clean parts, I usually turn it up to about 4-6. If I am using my lead tone, I usually turn the reverb up to about 9, and turn the gain up about 6, and then crank it. It definately makes my lead tone more smooth.

I don't see how it is cheating because its not like it covers up massive mistakes or anything. It does make stuff sound better when used correctly though. If you play half-assed, using a bit of reverb isn't going to make it sound any better.
-XKR
Gain is more of a cheater knob then anything because...

REALLY high gain makes sustaining notes much more easy. You listen to early blues guitarists and a lot of their sustain comes from vibrato. And two high gain covers things up because its all so...gainy. Though I'm not saying its bad, I play with fairly high gain because...it makes sustaining notes easier and its ok to be a bit sloppy, and I see nothing wrong with it.
If you think it's ok to be alittle sloppy, stay away from John Petrucci's forum, there's a lot of talented musicians on his forum, but most of them won't put up with slop. There's a recent thread right now where people are picking apart Petrucci's live playing. They must bring notepads to every show and write down every mistake or something.
Quote by Guitarmiester
If you think it's ok to be alittle sloppy, stay away from John Petrucci's forum, there's a lot of talented musicians on his forum, but most of them won't put up with slop. There's a recent thread right now where people are picking apart Petrucci's live playing. They must bring notepads to every show and write down every mistake or something.

I think those people need to take the dick out of their ass and SUCK IT! I hate people like that. Just enjoy the musicccc
playing guitar isnt a game, so no, its not cheating
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
Quote by xifr

Maybe if you play a fuzz box.

A tight amp like my ENGL and everything stands out when you turn the gain up.
i dont think its a cheater knob, i dont use any reverb because i think it makes the playing sound like **** with it on
maybe for a solo, reverb on ten would sound sick, but when playing chords and punk, any reverb at all ****s it up
Quote by ImSheddingSkin
your avatar rules
no, the cheater fx are distortions
|_1√3 1|\| yΩ|_|® \/\/®|_D 93+ p\/\/n3d 1|\| 1\/11|\|3

I Love to Drink Bawls!

(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination
Quote by xifr

Totally agree, Reverb isn't a cheater knob at all in my book, more of a different sound knob and if you are afraid you're using it to cheat try playing unplugged or keep playing completely clean if you don't feel comfortable until you've reached the next level
Reverb is just a sound, it depends how you reason for using it, I use it to give my guitar a little more of a roomy sound, thats like saying if you turn your volume knob up your covering up for your soft picking. If you're using it to cover up for your mistakes than you're using it to cover yourself up theres no need to ask other people. If you think you're cheating by using it than you are noones gonna tell you that.
i say if your learning new **** then do it completely clean...on a steel string acoustic if you can

but once its down and your gigging then if reverb improves your tone then go for it for sure
Quote by R_H_C_P
You're joking right?

It's like comparing sex to sticking your penis in a blender.

I use ****loads of reverb...not because I'm sloppy but because it's become start of my guitar style and I like how it sounds.

When I get to my amp the first thing I do is jack the 'verb up to 10.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Chet Atkins called reverb talent, so in his opinion, it was a cover up. He used to say, "Hey, you want a little talent on that guitar part?"
Earth to Bella,
Everything you know is wrong.
Well, almost.
¿Quadque?
Quote by sashki
I practice unplugged. Because
1) My amp isn't the greatest
2) I don't wanna annoy people, and I feel embarrassed if someone hears my messy playing
3) Can't be bothered to get the amp out
4) Saves electricity

kewl!
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

The thing bout gain........or atleast my view on gain

I play less sloppy on low gain settings.......... I usually keep it around 5 - 7.5 , 8 only for Meshuggah jamming........

Oh yeah................ REVERB TOTALLY SUCKS FOR RHYTHM................. I'm much more of a Delay dude........
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
i remember reading an interview with Pantera Darrell and he talks about one day as a kid he's listening to van halen and his dad walks in right at the big lead jerk-off festival (appologies to EVH fans. it make me want to vomit) and claims "of course he sounds good. anybody who uses that much reverb will sound good."
from what i remember Darrell played rather dry.
^Your point is ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Quote by sethp
i remember reading an interview with Pantera Darrell and he talks about one day as a kid he's listening to van halen and his dad walks in right at the big lead jerk-off festival (appologies to EVH fans. it make me want to vomit) and claims "of course he sounds good. anybody who uses that much reverb will sound good."
from what i remember Darrell played rather dry.

Anyone who has that much reverb will have good tone. I just went down stairs, played really ****ty and cranked my reverb.

I had great tone.

But the playing still sucked.