alright i've been playing bass for a little over a year now and im really into metallica, but i've pretty much overplayed all of there songs. Im looking for some new stuff thats pretty challenging to play. Anyone got any suggestions for anything to play?

I'm open to any suggestions from any genre, band, etc.
red hot chili peppers. the majority of Flea's music is really easy, buts sounds spectacular. his music isnt so easy that it takes five minutes to learn, but it also wont take you months to learn. and if you can slap on bass, then you pretty much got most of his songs down.

some songs to recommend:
start off with something easy such as dani california, which is a simple four chord progression (A G D A) and then when you got that down, try something a little harder like californication, then into something like by the way (if you can slap) and if you could play those three songs, you can play mostly the rest of his music.

good luck,
mark
mark ^||^
Not especially difficult, but fIREHOSE always has interesting/occaisionally tricky basslines, and i'll bet you 5 grand you haven't learned a single one.

Fishbone has some fast slap funk/ska/metal lines, ala Bonin' in the Boneyard.

Phish lines are great starting points for practicing improvisation, as well as some fun slap passages.

But this has been done before, so I'm not sure how much time I give it before closure.

EDIT: to the guy above me.... By the Way isn't slap....

And Flea slaps alot compared to many artists, but there are many, many, many RHCP songs with no slapping.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
no, bro, the song is completely unslapped.

The evidence, since it seems you confuse the sound of slapping with funky fingerstyle:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7VI76aYtlo

No slapping.
Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray > Digitech BP200 > Gallien Krueger 400RBIII/115

Co-President of the fIREHOSE fANCLUB. PM Me, Tedrick, or Incubus_Science to join.

Quote by crazypeanutman

damn yertle, you got some groove
Try some Iron Maiden stuff. Aces High, Run to the Hills (good for the 3-finger galloping technique), The Trooper, Powerslave, stuff like that.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by metal4life592
Try some Iron Maiden stuff. Aces High, Run to the Hills (good for the 3-finger galloping technique), The Trooper, Powerslave, stuff like that.

I thought Steve Harris only played with 2 fingers?

Crossroads by Cream is a good guideline for blues improvisation.

Alot of Dave Matthews has good bass in it.
My Profile

http://www.kerozenband.com

Co-Founding member of the Save the Funk club. PM jesusgonewrong or me to join.

Gear:
Ibanez SR506
Fender MIM Jazz Bass Deluxe Active
Yorkville XM200
Last edited by jimmypage27 at Oct 1, 2006,
I don't play Metallica so i don't know how hard it is, but if you've outplayed Chilli's, then try YYZ by Rush. I'm not a Rush fan (YYZ is the only song of theirs I've even heard), but alot of people talked about it, i can't play the entire song with all the fills, but it's definately something challenging that you can work on for a while.

Once again I'm not sure what skill level you're at (i have no idea about Metallica), but also try some Mudvayne, Death Blooms is interesting to play, because it keeps changing. Have you really outplayed the Chilli's, because they've made like 9 albums so I'm sure there's some of their stuff you haven't tried. If You Have to Ask is good, if you know all the fills, and you like getting into a Swing Groove. A personal favourite groove of mine, Mellowship Slinky in B Major, it's just fun to play.
Quote by jimmypage27
I thought Steve Harris only played with 2 fingers?

Crossroads by Cream is a good guideline for blues improvisation.

Alot of Dave Matthews has good bass in it.

Steve Harris has always played with 3 fingers, as far as I know. There are some songs I can't imagine NOT using 3 fingers for.

OP: You should try learning some ska/punk, like Reel Big Fish, Less Than Jake, or STreetlight Manifesto. Even if it's not your thing, the basslines very fun to play, althoug usually not that complicated.
Last edited by Ironflippy at Oct 2, 2006,
Death From Above 1979, you need a pick, and lots of distprtion, but Jesse Kellers riffs are amazing. Rage Against The Machine is pretty easy, but I've always found it fun to play. Have you ever thought of getting into using effects and playing Tool and stuff like that?

If your a Metallica fan, try playing some Slayer, it's like 10x faster, and some of Tom Araya's bass lines are insane.

Member Q-Tron of the EHX Users Guild
Quote by rhymeswith suck
Death From Above 1979, you need a pick, and lots of distprtion, but Jesse Kellers riffs are amazing. Rage Against The Machine is pretty easy, but I've always found it fun to play. Have you ever thought of getting into using effects and playing Tool and stuff like that?

If your a Metallica fan, try playing some Slayer, it's like 10x faster, and some of Tom Araya's bass lines are insane.

i think i will get some effects and try some new stuff, what tool and slayer songs would you suggest?
Tool? - Anything off the 10 000 Days album is awsome, but for most tool you need a whammy pedal. Try Vicarious, Schism, and The Pot for starters, the great thing about Tool is that you kind of have to explore their music urself

Slayer? Anything of the Reign in Blood Album, or the New one - Christ Illusion

i'd suggest tool, schism seams to be the favourite around here. it is a pretty awesome riff.

and you've over played all rhcp songs already? even stadium arcadium? he has some fun as hell riffs in there, hump de bump, wet sand, charlie, torture me, strip my mind, warlocks, she's only 18, most of the jupiter disc come to think of it.

u can look into some protest the hero. not sure how easy it'd be to find a tab for them but their bassist is sick.

theres a bunch of AFI riffs that are pretty fun, may not be the most challenging.

unholy confessions is a fun one for the whole band.

and if none of these suggestions mean anything to u, get going ont he victor wooten stuff and go to hell.
Depends, if your really serious about Tool, then find some kind of whammy (but I don't know how m uch they cost, I just use the one in my effects processor) otherwise, Bass Wah and Distortion would probably the most useful.

Spiral Architect has pretty awesome bass, try the song Fountainhead.
Quote by bassnbsktbll14
what brand of distortion and wah do you think is the best?

Boss Overdrive ODB - 3, you just cant go wrong with any form of overdrive in my opinion.

And Dunlop have their own cry baby bass wah pedal, its awesome!

They are listed in my sig dude, i really recommend both from experience of using them.

Effects processors are a waste of time! Theres just too many needless effects that as a bass player you dont need.
Bass Guitars:
Warwick - Corvette $$
Gibson Thunderbird IV
Tanglewood - Warrior II
Stagg - Semi Acoustic Bass

Amp:
Behringer BX3000T Head
Behringer BB115 Cabinet