As the title says.

I mean "play" as in how long until you were remotely good to play something (not one hundred percent perfect, but almost there)
it depends on how much time you spend practicing, what you practice. and how you practice.

If you want to learn a song in 5 minutes ... you can take any of Green Day songs
one year
meanwhile, at the "What would you sell your soul for?" thread...
Quote by Stooja
For The Ability to write lyrics and sing better, and play guitar better of course.

And Chuck some hot chicks in aswell...

Quote by nextBIGthing1
^ You really think YOUR soul is worth that much?
Sorry. Let me rephrase the question.

How long was it until you can solo well?

Power chord songs are easy lol. Even I can do em.
^^ Well, try playing some Slayer. The speed on them is intense, that's nearly the stuff I was playing. You know; a **** load of 16ths, (quarter of a single beat) with no rests at 125 ish tempos.

Solo... I don't do solos, they just don't appeal to me at all. I've always been a rythem player.
ARGH.

Let me rephrase. How long till you could play reasonalby quickly, like thrash metal-ish.

There
Quote by Coins
Sorry. Let me rephrase the question.

How long was it until you can solo well?

Power chord songs are easy lol. Even I can do em.

I've been playing for almost 2 years, and I still can't pull off a solo to save my life.
Ummm I couldn't tell you. I use to think I was fairly good, but recently after looking back on my time playing (2 years woot woot) I'm not as a good as I thought. The same will probably happen in another 3 months. Right now I can easily play thrash metal solos (except Slayer, I don't bother with those I just hit a bunch of chromatics hahah). But I'm still striving to get better.
A year. I can easily improvise at any tempo now.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
What types of solo?

Smells Like Teen Spirit solo - 1/2 days
Eruption-esque solo - 1/2 years

But intermediate stuff like Crazy Train or what have you? Well, that all depends on how much per day you spend jammin' the blues, thrasin' the metal, or whatever you play. Decent amount of practice (1 - 2 hours per day) should see you busting out Crazy Train / Sweet Child O Mine type solos in around 7/8 months maybe. But yeah, mostly depends on how much you play.

R E G G A E