alvarez. do they suck? i hav a $175 one, my first guitar. and i was just wondeirng if it was a bad or good guitar. also, while making a thread, can anyone help with the strings buzzing? its really annoying, its tuned correctly, and im not hitting the strings hard at all
--------------------

I LOVE DRAGONBALL Z
well my friend has and alvarez i think its cheap but it has really great action for an acoustic. and about ur buzzing im not sure about that. your action is too low but im not sure how u should go about fixing it
You'll need to adjust the action by changing the neck tension with the truss rod... but it's not something you should mess with unless you know what you're doing.

My first real guitar was an Alvarez Regent Series, like 200 bucks or so. Good value, good sound for the money. I played a lot of shows with it... if you plan on playing live I'd get a feedback buster.
^ You don't adjust the action with the truss rod. The truss rod is used to adjust the neck to prevent warping, but not to adjust action. The best way to adjust the action is to sand down the bottom of the saddle. I would still have a professional do it, though.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Alvarez are IMO some of better budget priced guitars. I've been a fan of Alvarez and their brite tones for many years. IMO the 1970's Alvarez low end budget/beginner guitars were of better quality than their current low end models. And the Yari's of the 1980's were amoung some of the best guitars made at any price.
IMO your $175. Alvarez is probably a "decent" quality budget/beginner guitar. But you really don't get top quality at that price range.
As for the string buzz. I definantly DO NOT recomend shaving the bridge saddle. Lowering the action is almost certainly not the answer. In fact, raising the action is likely what is needed. Or you might need a new nut or neck adjustment.
Has it always buzzed, or just started?
Perhaps you might try making a shim out of folded paper placed under the bridge saddle to see if that helps. Try a single layer. If it doesn't help double the thickness. If after several (2-4) layers it hasn't helped, let a luthier look at it. There could be several causes. Some simple and some not.
1/2 my brain tied behind my back, just to make it fair.
Last edited by EL Conquestidor at Sep 30, 2006,
^Whoops....you're right. I was responding to the post about adjusting the truss rod, not remembering that he had an annoying buzz. Lowering the saddle will only compound that problem. Have you changed your strings recently?

And Alvarez is a good bang for your buck guitar.

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
My first acoustic was an Alvarez RD8, and as long as the strings on it aren't dead, it's a wonderful guitar. The action is great on it, too. In fact, I've found everything I need with it, so I didn't bother getting any more acoustics.
Quote by YAY_FOR_PIE
, I stopped when I read something about three dragons being in you or something.

Quote by Metal claw
Paris Hilton looks like Dave Mustaine to me.
Yeah Alvarez are teh bomb.

I've got an RD8 I've pimped out w/ stickers and It's the only acoustic I think I'll ever need.
Quote by Iluvpowerchords
Yeah Alvarez are teh bomb.

I've got an RD8 I've pimped out w/ stickers and It's the only acoustic I think I'll ever need.

You put stickers on your RD8?
Quote by MightyAl
I took a pic of myself, cut a hole in the face and stuck my knob through so i could see what I'd look like if I got bitten by a radioactive elephant.
You know, I've been playing an Alvarez for almost seven years. It's the RD8. Good guitar. I love it. I have had to replace one of the tuning pegs, which sucked but wasn't terribly hard to do. There is rattling, but I put some paper on the saddle to stop it. It's the perfect beginner guitar, but not the perfect only guitar in your life. I am in the process of spending $1000 that I really can't spare on a sweet Taylor. It's the 210ce. I can't wait. So, start with an Alvarez, but once you can really appreciate the better one, get it.
I *love* alvarez. My first guitar was a Alvarez Regent, 5212. Sweet intro guitar, great sound out of it. Did develop a weird buzzing out of the headstock, but nothing major. I now own a alvarez MD95 and think its quite possibly the best guitar for that price, period. The Alvarez Yairis are some of the best guitars out there, IMO. So yes, Alvarez is good. I think the Yairis can stand up to any of the Martins or Taylors out there and probably do just as well, if not better in a side by side comparison. They just don't have that big name swagger like Martin or Taylor does.
********May Truth and Good Music Prevail!********
I played a friend's Alvarez RF10, never really heard of it before I played it. I loved it! The action was beautiful, the sound was crisp and clear. I looked on the internet, it's discontinued but I haven't seen one over $200! I expected at least $250 or $300 for such a nice instrument.
All your base are belong to us.