Well two or three part harmony is easy enough, just add the 3rd and 5th to whatever scale degree you're on. But what are common ways to go about four part harmony? 3 people playing in straight harmony and a fourth playing a bass line? 2 playing harmony and then maybe something contrapuntal and a bassline? Any four part harmony songs anyone would recommend studying, i.e., beatles, string quartets, etc.?
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Some Eagles stuff has three- or four-part harmony ("Best of My Love" comes to mind right now)
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
there are rules to harmony. I don't have them all memorized (I used to), and its a very much important aspect to advanced counterpoint. However sadly I have forgotten most of them. Give me a bit, unless someone else beats me to it.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
Well, typically in a four part harmony, you have 2 roots, a third and a fifth. Either a bass or tenor playing one root, and either alto/soprano playing the other. Bass and tenor don't play the root together, and same for alto/soprano.

Atleast that's my understanding...
^ agreed. The tenor, alto, and soprano should move in contrary movement from the bass notes and you should try to keep common tones and avoid the parralell fifths and twelfths
Quote by Yespleasevicar
NevermorePsalm thank you for showing me how clever and witty one person can be in just a few sentances. My God i wanna be like u so much! In fact we all do. Well done

Steven Wilson and Mikael Akerfeldt own my soul.
Well, according to my music theory teacher, bass and soprano should move in contrary motion, tenor and alto should have as little movement as possible, and parallel 5th are an automatic F.

So for the most part, what he just said
Quote by josephde
Well, typically in a four part harmony, you have 2 roots, a third and a fifth. Either a bass or tenor playing one root, and either alto/soprano playing the other. Bass and tenor don't play the root together, and same for alto/soprano.

Atleast that's my understanding...

But when two of those voices play a note, they should they be in octaves, or unison?

Quote by josephde
Well, according to my music theory teacher, bass and soprano should move in contrary motion, tenor and alto should have as little movement as possible, and parallel 5th are an automatic F.

This helps a lot, but if you can't use contrary motion between the soprano and the bass, should the bass double somebody's part, or octave it?
"You are amazed that it is so easy to infect men with the war fever, and you surmise that man has in him an active instinct for hatred and destruction... I entirely agree with you."

--Sigmund Freud in a letter to Albert Einstein

Id say 1 person doing the root, another oding it an octave up.
Then a person doing the 3rd and another the 5th.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!