I've been playing for 11 months now, and i'm playing stuff like Master of Puppets by Metallica, and I am starting to pick up on a couple songs by Lamb of God. I am taking lessons and learning theory and stuff like that. I still have one of those guitars that comes in those starter packages. I sort of want a new one, but dont know when a good time to get a new guitar would be. I am also doing bass in jazz band for school, and was just practicing on the EADG strings. Is that ok? Or should i get a bass to practice on for school instead and get a new guitar later? I would play on the school's bass that they have at school. But i would have to buy a special amp too if i got my own . Ya cant hear bass guitars without the amp for ****.

P.S. I was looking at the Ibanez RG350MDX. It's near the top of the list for best selling on www.musiciansfriend.com and i've read that the Ibanez RG series is good for metal.
Last edited by TacoPaco9317 at Sep 30, 2006,
You can get a new guitar whenever you want. Or if your not exactly rich, then wait until that guitar just doesn't cut it for you, OR you could bust out a crazy Hendrix-style solo in the middle of a jazz band concert and proceed to set your guitar on fire, and then get a new one. You would be a champ.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
You can get a new guitar whenever you want. Or if your not exactly rich, then wait until that guitar just doesn't cut it for you, OR you could bust out a crazy Hendrix-style solo in the middle of a jazz band concert and proceed to set your guitar on fire, and then get a new one. You would be a champ.

sounds good lol
i have no experience with ibanez, even though i hear they are really good, with me its almost one of those things that if i dont think it looks cool or i would like it, nobody would ever change my mind, so its almost a "try out" thing. but a new guitar can be good by giving you a good motivation to be better, or it can be a waste of money/ or an excuse just to liven up your playing. i have just as much experience as you, i started off with a schecter omen6, not bad for the price, but am planning on getting a schecter hellraiser due to its pickups. and with your bass thing, unless you want your bass to sound like crap, a specified bass amp is usually needed for that kind of output, or so im told. whether or not you want to go and buy one is up to you.
My Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey Valveking 112
Line 6 über-Metal Pedal

Quote by pwrmax
All you care about is looks? No wonder you have it hard.

Quote by srvflood
You can't have sex with her personality.
Quote by Lead guitarist
I recon a new guitar, then sell your old one and save up for a bass n amp.

mmmmk

i don't want to be flamed for this(i know i will), but what do you guys reccomend for a good ibanez metal guitar? i was lookin at rg350mdx but are there any other opinions?
RG series guitars' are awesome, especially if you want to put out a heavy sound. I would say go for it if you have the cash.

As far as the "bass" idea... wait until you play a little with the one at school. You may prefer guitar over bass, or vice versa. Do whatever feels good to you.
i dont really have a budget yet lol, but i'm looking to save about 450ish, my birthday is right before christmas and i just ask for money on both days, last year i got 400ish. And i'll mow the lawn n stuff to get a little bit more money also. so i'll probably be buying one in january. And i'll consider that yamaha guitar that you gave me a link to.
The only thing better about the RG350MDX than the Yamaha RGX320FZ is that it has a neck-thru. The pickups are mediocre and the trem is a horrible Edge III. I say go for the Yamaha, its also $100 cheaper.

A tremolo is a bridge that you can raise the pitch and lower it with. Trust me, you wont want one for your second guitar. You'll be playing a lot of new stuff with different tunings an such. A tremolo will be a hassle if you're gonna change tunings and stuff. Again changing strings on a trem is wayyyy different then changing on a TOM bridge. All in all, I highly suggest you go for the Yamaha. And you're only paying $300 for it. I got mine for $569, consider yourself lucky.
Last edited by drop-dead666 at Sep 30, 2006,