Page 1 of 3
I just found out about this band when researching the geniuses who came up with the opening song in the brit flick "28 Days Later" (amazing movie... go see it now)..

Anyways... these guys... are... freaking... INCREDIBLE!

Absolutely mind-blowing. I've listened to some of the "movements" on their myspace (their songs are all like 20 minutes long so they have 8 minute or so "movements" posted there) and I was blown away. Best band I've found in a while...

Needless to say, "Lift you skinny fists like Antennas" or whatever it's called and f#a#oo are on the way now to my mailbox...

What do you all think of them...

I seriously pity anyone who does not absolutely love this band... awe-inspiring music (listen to it in the dark on headphones when no one's around)
Simply incredible. They've written some of the most epic, powerful, haunting and beautiful music I've ever heard.

You've ordered their two best albums. They're both completely different though, Skinny Fists is just 2 CDs of sheer epic-ness and F A OO is more atmospheric. The first movement on the album is really scary too...
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by richwatkinson
What was the 28 Days Later song named?

East Hastings. Anyway they're a great band, I own their entire discography minus Yanqui U.X.O. and that Gasoline + Sunshine song they did for some magazine.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

A to the Mazing band.....I played "The Dead Flag Blues" on the radio the other day and like everyone hated it........ignorant fools
Quote by uhh_me?
A to the Mazing band.....I played "The Dead Flag Blues" on the radio the other day and like everyone hated it........ignorant fools

Well Godspeed are pretty much the opposite of acessible so that's understandable. I think the musicians in that band are really talented. I mean justl isten to the tremolo picking on some of those songs. ****in' crazy.
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Generic member of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati

Quote by mydarkesthour

It seems like UG is full of those Caveman Metalheads

Quote by mydarkesthour
I meant caveman as in long haired....

Amazing band. Threadstarter, if you like Godspeed You! Black Emperor, you should check out 'A Silver Mt. Zion.'
awesome. i have lift your skinny fists... as well as f#a#? on vinyl, which is pretty damn cool. yeah.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
Godspeed! are on extended hiatus, are they not?

We all know "extended hiatus" turns into "indefinate hiatus" turns into "split". Such a fantastic band too.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
I find them overrated, LYSFLATH was a horribly boring experience.

I'll have to give them another listen someday, but my first impressions weren't very kind.
I have pretty much all thier material. They are truly an amazing band (or whatever you would like to call them). They have a strange meaning and message as a band but thier tunes are so good.
Quote by Tombe
Simply incredible. They've written some of the most epic, powerful, haunting and beautiful music I've ever heard.

You've ordered their two best albums. They're both completely different though, Skinny Fists is just 2 CDs of sheer epic-ness and F A OO is more atmospheric. The first movement on the album is really scary too...

That's what I've heard... nonetheless while listening to their myspace again (for possibly the 20th time today... this music NEVER gets old!) I went ahead and bout the new zero kanada ep and yanqui uxo. Are they incredible as well (albeit less so)?
Quote by Caustic
Godspeed! are on extended hiatus, are they not?

We all know "extended hiatus" turns into "indefinate hiatus" turns into "split". Such a fantastic band too.

And I never got to see them live...

OH I WANT TO DIE!!!!!!

Is there some sort of live dvd at least?

Man I would pay $100 to go to a concert (well... 50 maybe)
Oh, another Godspeed thread.

Huzzah.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
Grown a little tired of Godspeed over the years, they are good, but there are just too many bands out there now expanding on what they've been doing and its really starting to become quite a tired genre - at least in parts. 'F#a#infinity' isn't their best album in my opinion, always pick 'yanqui uxo' over that and the rest of 'em.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by WNxScythe
That's what I've heard... nonetheless while listening to their myspace again (for possibly the 20th time today... this music NEVER gets old!) I went ahead and bout the new zero kanada ep and yanqui uxo. Are they incredible as well (albeit less so)?

I don't think Yanqui UXO's that good to be honest, it's kind of Godspeed by numbers, but Slow Riot is just a pure rock-out, to the point where it's actually quite difficult to listen to the whole record in one go.
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
Quote by andrewbiles
Grown a little tired of Godspeed over the years, they are good, but there are just too many bands out there now expanding on what they've been doing and its really starting to become quite a tired genre - at least in parts.

Agreed but I love GY!BE.
Quote by andrewbiles
Grown a little tired of Godspeed over the years, they are good, but there are just too many bands out there now expanding on what they've been doing and its really starting to become quite a tired genre - at least in parts. 'F#a#infinity' isn't their best album in my opinion, always pick 'yanqui uxo' over that and the rest of 'em.

No one's anywhere near as good as them at doing it though.
Quote by pumpkins_rule
East Hastings. Anyway they're a great band, I own their entire discography minus Yanqui U.X.O. and that Gasoline + Sunshine song they did for some magazine.

i've got everything on cd and vinyl minus that 7 inch, but i have it in a mp3 somethere.

it's weird to see how big they've got in the last few years, and even more so just from doing the 28 days later thing.
Quote by andrewbiles

i know what you mean, the whole post rock scene, for lack of a better term, has become a joke. starting with explosions in the sky.

i'm going to have to fight you on yanqui uxo though- i think it's their worst
Quote by starsnostars
i know what you mean, the whole post rock scene, for lack of a better term, has become a joke. starting with explosions in the sky.

OH! You did not just say Explosions is crap!
I dono, they are talented, Dead Flag Blues is probably my fav (or sleep)

but

its kind of tiedous to listen to them...i dont like bands where i feel like its a job to listen to them, and after 15 minutes it becomes a job

i think alot of it has to do with the fact that i put alot of weight on the lyrics of song

none-the-less, they are the best at what they do for sure

Are they related to My Morning Jacket in some way?
To be the last one
who will sing you to sleep...

christie.FRONT.drive
Just gave them another listen, can't say my opinion has improved. Does anybody actually actively listen to these guys?

I guess I just don't have the patience.
Quote by WNxScythe
No one's anywhere near as good as them at doing it though.

I do agree that they're good at what they do and that there aren't many bands the same size as them playing the same thing that come off better, but there are much better post-rock bands out there.

Quote by starsnostars

Not a joke, just over-crowded and repetitive. There's still people creating good stuff (I'd highly recommend any Triosk album - kind of jazzy post-rock - and if you can get Sparrows Swarm & Sing's 'Untitled II' on vinyl still then that is well worth picking up) but most of the time you listen to an album and you've heard it all before.
And yes, EiTS, booooooring.
'Yanqui UXO' was a great album. 'Rockets fall...' is probably my favourite Godspeed track, although that's partially to do with the title as well.

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by andrewbiles

I'd highly recommend any Triosk album - kind of jazzy post-rock

i'll have to look into that one. is it do make say think jazzy? or tortoise jazzy? or none of the above. i can't can't say i'm a big fan of tortoise- or, well, a fan at all.

Quote by andrewbiles

if you can get Sparrows Swarm & Sing's 'Untitled II' on vinyl still then that is well worth picking up.

i got ahold of one of their albums a while back, i think it was that one. on first listen, i found it dull and borning, but i'll have to give it another shot
They try to act Indie but everyone knows The Godspeed Mafia all drive Porsches.

Anyways they're quite good. I really like their F#A# Infinity album.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by trev_smith12
They try to act Indie but everyone knows The Godspeed Mafia all drive Porsches.

uh, no.

as if it even matters- but no.
^ I was joking. That's a quote from Nick Diamonds of the Unicorns. I just figured people would get the reference.
Member of the We Have Better Taste Than You club
PM DorkusMalorkus with a list of your favorite bands to join.
Quote by trev_smith12
^ I was joking. That's a quote from Nick Diamonds of the Unicorns. I just figured people would get the reference.

oh, well i can't stand the unicorns, so that would be why
Quote by starsnostars
i'll have to look into that one. is it do make say think jazzy? or tortoise jazzy? or none of the above. i can't can't say i'm a big fan of tortoise- or, well, a fan at all.

Out of the two, I'd say more DMST as I don't ever remember Tortoise being that jazzy, but maybe I'll have to go back and listen to both of their stuff again to compare.

RateYourMusic
My favourite band! Bought their cds with amazon after hearing them in progarchives.com when I heard storm from lift your skinny fists (the first part) I lifted my skinny fists like antennas to heaven
Yeah I first heard East Hastings on 28 Days Later, and, not knowing who it was by, really liked it. I then went and found out who it was and listened to all the stuff on Myspace. Really great music, definately talented, but I haven't got round to ordering any albums yet.
very good music. i'll listen to a song or two every once in a while,
usually when i'm walking, or while it's raining.

is f#a#infinity literally referencing the repetition
of those notes/chords forever? just wondering
if it's significant at all or just whatever.
Quote by system
very good music. i'll listen to a song or two every once in a while,
usually when i'm walking, or while it's raining.

is f#a#infinity literally referencing the repetition
of those notes/chords forever? just wondering
if it's significant at all or just whatever.

on the vinyl version (which is different to the cd version) the first side begins in f sharp and the second half in a sharp. the record ends in a locked groove, playing over and over, hence the infinity.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
godspeed are one of my faviroites
heres some artists like them if anyone cares:
Explosions in the sky
A silver mt. zion
Yndi Halda
Sigur ros
wait did some bands name themselves after godspeed songs, or did godspeed name their songs after some bands?

either way, not very cool..
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
there is a band called antennas to heaven. thats taken of a godspeed album, and they are a pretty good band.
Page 1 of 3