Page 2 of 3
Quote by yndi_halda
A silver mt. zion

They've were just announced a couple of days ago for ATP next year. Looks (so far) like one of the best line-ups they've done.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Quote by Xiang
wait did some bands name themselves after godspeed songs, or did godspeed name their songs after some bands?

either way, not very cool..

If talking about A Silver Mount Zion. They're kind of a Godspeed spin-off group. On some p2p engines the first movement of Lonely as the Sound of Lying On the Ground of An Airplane Going Down, by ASMZ gets misnamed A Silver Mount Zion, By Godspeed You! Black Emperor.
An incredible band, so mysterious too. Everytime I put on a record it just blows me away.
rites of nothing.
they're like, the coolest band ever, seriously. they're all anarchists and they make some of the most beautiful music ever....and they're just wonderful
Yeah they are a great band. They are not a band I can put on all the time, but when I'm in the right mood they are amazing.

My favourite "songs" are 'Cowboy song' and 'Sleep Climax'. I love the words in 'Dead Flag Blues' aswell.

I also like A Silver Mt Zion a lot. Their new unreleased songs sound like some of their best work so far.
bumping as this is the biggest thread about GYBE.

Listening to F♯A♯∞ for the first time. I've had it in my itunes for the longest time, just never listened to it.

All I can say is that I wish I were stoned.
It's so good.
I like this band, Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas to Heaven & Yanqui U.X.O. are my favs, but the other stuff is good as well. I'm going to get F♯A♯∞ vinyl the next time I go to the record store.
I can't decide if I like Lift Your Skinny Wrists or F# A# ∞ better.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by neidnarb11890
I'm going to get F♯A♯∞ vinyl the next time I go to the record store.

the one with the crushed coins in it? i thought that was super rare
Oh hell I put wrists, I think that's a sign I need to listen to it again. Been too long.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by BenRaah
I thought Yanqui was considered their worst by pretty much everyone

Uh, well, not by me & my friends.
Quote by TheReverend724
I can't imagine someone preferring Yanqui over F#A#infinity or Slow Riot

Deal with it, bro.
Quote by BenRaah
the one with the crushed coins in it? i thought that was super rare

Uh, I dunno, my friend bought a copy at the record store last week, & I've seen it at Newbury Comics on numerous occasions.
Quote by palm mute
Oh hell I put wrists, I think that's a sign I need to listen to it again. Been too long.

I think the fact that i didn't notice either means it's time for me to listen to it again too

Quote by neidnarb11890
Uh, I dunno, my friend bought a copy at the record store last week, & I've seen it at Newbury Comics on numerous occasions.

Fair enough, I think the vinyl version is different from the cd anyway
Last edited by BenRaah at Jan 2, 2012,
Quote by BenRaah
Fair enough, I think the vinyl version is different from the cd anyway

Yeah, it is. 'Cuz it goes on for ∞!

I'm still gutted I missed their show in london with Portishead and Swans. Pretty sure that would be the most emotionally draining concert ever
Yeah, I know the movements for Lift Your Skinny Fists 'cuz there's that big map in the centerfold, but otherwise I only know the track names.

I don't actually own a physical copy of F#A#∞, so I figure I'll buy the vinyl, that way I'll have both versions.
I have cd's of F#A#∞ and Skinny Fists. I want to get Slow Riot so bad but i can never find it in any shops
Bummer, maaan. Makes me grateful for having at least two cool record stores within a half hour radius.

And the means to get to them, too, I suppose. Bourgeois lyfe!
Quote by TheReverend724
But the vinyl version doesn't have The Sad Mafioso, which is like my favorite Godspeed movement, so I don't really care for the vinyl

I am glad I don't buy vinyl, that is my favorite movement as well.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
Quote by neidnarb11890
Bummer, maaan. Makes me grateful for having at least two cool record stores within a half hour radius.

And the means to get to them, too, I suppose. Bourgeois lyfe!

I actually have some really cool record stores nearby, just none of them ever have Slow Riot

Have you tried shopping for it online? I'm sure amazon would have it.

I prefer buying things from my local store, but if they don't have it I have no problems buying online.
In my heart I'm with you

every night
I prefer buying online. no rush, no traffic jam, just click the check out button, my stuff is coming front of door

Buying online is definitely more convenient, but nothing beats that feel of flicking through a bunch of albums in a record store and finding something you've been looking for
Slow Riot > Lift Yr Skinny Fists... > Allelujah > F#A# > Yanqui

I've listened to all their stuff a lot in the past week and this is what I came up with. I like Yanqui very much though.
I put on Lift Yr Skinny Fists the other day as I was reading, and at times I would simply stop and get enthralled by the music gushing out of the speakers. Its IMO one of the most hard hitting emotional albums I've ever heard.
Quote by BenRaah
F#A#∞ > Skinny Fists > Slow Riot > Allelujah > Yanqui

Mladic is top 5 gy!be though

I own them all now

Yeah Mladic is so good
Recommended threads
Killing hum
Ian hawkins
Last post:
by Griffin Effects