Page 1 of 17
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
I felt that reading through the FAQ here, it didn't elaborate much on Power tab, and it didn't talk about Guitar Pro at all, so I'm making this thread. It's also much easier for users to single out this specific topic instead of having to look through the Faq for it.

There are many EXTREMELY out of date tablature editors, feel free to goolge them if you would like to look into them: MusicXML, Bucket O' Tab, TabRite, and TablEdit.

Power Tab- Only for Pc's. This Tablature Editor is free. Very easy to use for guitar and bass tabbing , but gets just a little tricky when trying to add drums (technically it is merely a drum sound, because there are no cymbols and such) when you're not an experienced user is a huge hassle.
Quote by BadBishop
The only thing Power tab has over Guitar Pro is you can have low melody sections meaning pieces on Piano can be played easily. Just look at Tennessee by Hans Zimmer (its on UG).
The sound is only MIDI, which is suffice considering the program is free. It has a playback feature so once you tab out your song/riff, you can play it back in real time to hear how it sounds.
Power Tab can be downloaded here- http://www.power-tab.net/downloads.php
If you have any questions about using power tab, look in the powertab help thread- https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116345

Guitar Pro- For both Macs and Pc's. This Tablature Editor is not free; there is a 15 day free trial, then you either buy it or not use it again, and the full version for $59.00 USD (78.90 Australian Dollar, 31.75 Pounds, 65.06 Canadian Dollar, and 47.06 Euro). For the demo though, there is no Realistic Sound Engine, Guitar Pro's main aspect setting it appart from Power tab, and every time you print on the demo it has a huge label saying "GUITAR PRO DEMO" over every page. Very user friendly in all aspects other than that tabbing out drums can be a bit lengthy, as they just give you a list of 1 through 87 of their drum actions, and you need to use the key to pick out every one; However though, not near the hassle as drums are for power-tab, especially if your not an experienced user. In general, much more user friendly than powertab. The Real Sound Engine (RSE) is very cool if you are looking for a realistic sound, but when searching though the different amp distortions, they start to sound quite a bit the same when looking at similar settings. The RSE also has not only effects in the amp channels, but effects you can use seperately so that it only last for the number of measures you select. However though, for each main instrument (Guitar, Bass, and Drums) you can choose most aspects of it, to get a customized sound. Also has the playback feature, import and export feature, but a much better variety of imports and exports (significantly, Imports- Powertab, MIDI; Exports- Guitar Pro 4, MIDI). Guitar Pro also has a friendly online support page, say if you forgot your User ID or you bought GP5 via internet through credit card and you lost your software, it can be redownloaded.

Guitar Pro can be bought here- http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=buy
And the demo downloaded here- http://www.guitar-pro.com/en/index.php?pg=download

My Overall Opinion- I like Guitar Pro 5 better, as to me it sounds realistic and is much more user friendly. 'Tis worth shelling out the sixty bucks for it.

Special Notes: Many people find they like power-tab better, which is why people need to use the Guitar Pro 5 Demo before they think of buying it.
Many people also dislike the RSE of Guitar Pro 5, thinking it sounds way too fuzzy or fake, and some just flat out dont want it.

Quote by Bam_HIM_Bassist
Guitar Pro for me was about 363MB, Power Tab is only about 4MB. So if you have a low memory computer, then you should go for Power Tab.

If I made any mistakes, big or small, forgive me as it was 2 in the morning in Tennessee...
Sorry about a) The mistake in the GP5 screenshot where I had to cross it out, I used so many text layers that I couldn't go back and edit that one once I had noticed...=\ and b) the fonts are a little hard to read, but none really worked too well.

Hope this helps!

Andrew EDIT: If this hasn't answered your question still, please also check the third post here.
Last edited by GuitarManiac09 at Aug 17, 2008,
Bam_HIM_Bassist
288 IQ
Can I just add.

Guitar Pro for me was about 363MB

Power Tab is only about 4MB

So if you have a low memory computer.
Then you should go for Power Tab.
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Crap... All that work and then this will probably get closed Well, at least it got a post.

EDIT: Or maybe there is hope for this, the mod deleted his post

By the way Bam_HIM_Bassist, I added your section in there.
Mack56
mackabre
1,078 IQ
I actually have both. I'm more used to working and creating in powertab, but more songs seem to available to learn in GP. That's life, i guess. hahah.
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!
5,856 IQ
Guitar programs are for wussies.

Looks good...
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
faqu
Potato Chips rule!
1,948 IQ
Looks good man, nice job!
books have knowledge, knowledge is power, power corrupts, corruption is a crime, and crime doesn't pay..so if you keep reading, you'll go broke.

UG Profile
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Thanks everyone for all of the positive responses, and I'm glad I got a suggestion!
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Looks good.

I personally prefer GP because I find it easier to use and understand. It has a nicer layout and is prettier IMO. Has many more features too, but you'd expect that for the price.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
JMMD
10 IQ
I use GP 5 and I love it. Definitely worth the money IMO.
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
awesome job. ive never used GP but PT can be pretty helpful when learning stuff

BIIGFTJ?
(Jack) why teh fuck do people still have rottweilers/pit bulls?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
(Jack) because they have a strange tendency to EAT YOUR CHILDREN
STFU(its)JERRY
Pro Badminton/Pingpongist
256 IQ
Awesome man, now I know where chocolate milk comes from.

Thank you GP
'J'adore ah les femmes', yeah I love my riches, 'bonjour' money and 'au revoir' bitches
ibaRGnez321
Guitarded.
626 IQ
Looks good Adam. Great job.

I personally prefer GP5, though the RSE clips on me a bunch. It's just my crappy sound card I'm assuming though.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
this is really good. nice little list of the differences and such. maybe include a labeled screen shot of the two programs to give people who dont know them an idea of what they are getting in to if they decide to try them. i know that would have helped me when i was trying to figure some stuff out.
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Quote by jof1029
this is really good. nice little list of the differences and such. maybe include a labeled screen shot of the two programs to give people who dont know them an idea of what they are getting in to if they decide to try them. i know that would have helped me when i was trying to figure some stuff out.

That is a great idea man! Thanks!!
Freddedonna
has licked your screen
530 IQ
Nice post.

Btw I find guitar a lot easier to use than power tab.
garett
UG Addict
1,272 IQ
Cool man. I haven't really used any tab editors. I've toyed with power tab just having people send me their stuff to check out etc. but I don't really use tabs so... but anyway I've considered buying GuitarPro just for doing composing etc. and I've heard good things about it. It's nice to have a comparison like that.

One thing that weighs heavily on my decision is whether or not the application supports editing the standard notation directly. It's been a while since I've used powertab but the last time I played with it you could only edit the tab, not the sheet music. That's a big killer for me. Can you edit the standard notation in GuitarPro or do you have to use the tab ?
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
Looks pretty good

Guitar Pro also has some effects that you can use. There's a wah function in the GP5 and more of a variety of instruments. (It might be in there but I'm too lazy to look back in your writing )
Sent from my iPad.
Last edited by paintITblack39 at Oct 15, 2006,
Lacquer_Head
Band
385 IQ
I've used both before and I prefer Guitar Pro, partially because I find it easier to use. I haven't used it for much and when I'm doing compositions I usually use Sibelius and then Sonar 3 (which I think is still MIDI) but for simple tabbing, Guitar Pro is very good.
Quote by ACG

In conclusion, I'm gay.

Mud Sergeant of the Primus Sucks Club. PM StratEnRegalia to join.

"Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join."
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Quote by paintITblack39
Looks pretty good

Guitar Pro also has some effects that you can use. There's a wah function in the GP5 and more of a variety of instruments. (It might be in there but I'm too lazy to look back in your writing :p

Yea, I know, that comes with the amp as well, I forgot to mention you could use it in certain spots as well, definitely gonna add that, Thanks.
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Garett, if you mean what i think what you mean, yes.

You can edit the standard notation.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
meh!
Doin' DAT FUNKY DANCE
2,037 IQ
Good stuff, possibly you coudl do something with lableling, like I said?

It all seems sound to me
On vacation from modding = don't pm me with your pish
GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Frenchy is right, yes you can. To show you how, here is a screenshot

Hope this helps you decide.

EDIT: To meh- Lableling?
Last edited by GuitarManiac09 at Oct 13, 2006,
Chak
Your weapon is guilt
250 IQ
Looks good Nice job!
Drop another coin in the slot, and I will tell you more...
theguitarist
I closed your thread.
1,293 IQ
GooD WorK
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
TheFlammableCow
Barned
75 IQ
Quote by GuitarManiac09
Frenchy is right, yes you can. To show you how, here is a screenshot

Hope this helps you decide.

EDIT: To meh- Lableling?

Just as a side note, that picture looks like it contains rusty cooley's noew song...

please dont kill me cooley fans... Hes good and all, but he tends to be a bit too wanky for me
Quote by 94 hours

Quote by dumps
i dont really know what is good so maybe you guys could give me some suggestions of a good practice amp with some a effects between 70 and 100pound. cheers

your buying an amp based on weight??
Sceptile_Master
When Sceptile's take over
644 IQ
Yeah I dunno if this is the right place, but... question. Anyone have idea how to make a sort of jews harp sounding noise on guitar pro?
Sceptile_Master
When Sceptile's take over
644 IQ
A jews harp gives this type of boing noise. It's not like a traditional harp. You hear it in alot of folk metal like finntroll and moonsorrow. This what one looks like.

GuitarManiac09
868 IQ
Quote by Sceptile_Master
A jews harp gives this type of boing noise. It's not like a traditional harp. You hear it in alot of folk metal like finntroll and moonsorrow. This what one looks like.

ahh, no clue then...sorry, I'd try making a thread about it.
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
Quote by Sceptile_Master

Don't they have midi downloads for some instruments?
Sent from my iPad.
Toni Low
~Toni
21 IQ
I'm going to sound like a douche when I say this, but for some reason I can't download RSE for GP5 on guitar-pro.com. Is there an external site or something I can take it from?

And no, I didn't pirate the software, I forked over my sixty bucks.
..........................................................................................
[inappropriate sucess]
->not just your everyday breakfast cereal.
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Maybe you didn't choose to install it.

It should be part of the file you download, but there's an option to install it when you install GP5, check you did that

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
Toni Low
~Toni
21 IQ
Well obviously you're a genius, because I just uninstalled and reinstalled the program and I got it. Thanks ^^
..........................................................................................
[inappropriate sucess]
->not just your everyday breakfast cereal.