Page 3 of 17
Quote by Fabbi_Kanin
Can't even compare those two.

Are you saying like one is boundlessly better than the other?

Because, they are both tablature editors with the same general concept... Just different features. That's like telling me I can't compare say a Les Paul Classic to the new Les Paul with Ethernet hook-ups, because one costs more has more capabilities.
The only thing Power tab has over Guitar Pro is you can have low melody sections meaning pieces on Piano can be played easily. Just look at Tennessee by Hans Zimmer (its on UG).
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
Quote by BadBishop
The only thing Power tab has over Guitar Pro is you can have low melody sections meaning pieces on Piano can be played easily. Just look at Tennessee by Hans Zimmer (its on UG).

Thanks, added.
im partial to GuitarPro5 myself....i dont really need powertab because GuitarPro can use power tab files and play them back in GP format...
Thanks dude.Guitar pro 5 is awesome,but it has some problem:
1_sometimes get confused.
2_When you update your software,all tabs you wrote before chang in sound and sometime
time signature.
Quote by emad
Thanks dude.Guitar pro 5 is awesome,but it has some problem:
1_sometimes get confused.
2_When you update your software,all tabs you wrote before chang in sound and sometime
time signature.

o.O That never happens to me... If you bought the program, I would contact the Guitar Pro support center and ask them about it.

And for the sometimes you get confused part, just give yourself some time. By now I know pretty much everything I need to know about Guitar Pro to make it do what I want.

Dont know if this has been put up as a point because i couldnt be bothered reading through like 5 pages of ppl saying i like this or i like that.

Anyway what i would like to say is that Power Tab also has the advantage of having very low system requirments, making it great for ppl who are spending more on there guitars then there comps =P

GP owns lower end systems to the point where the feature to play the piece is almost usless. (this becomes especialy problematic when mutliple instruments are playing etc.)
Quote by t0M0
Dont know if this has been put up as a point because i couldnt be bothered reading through like 5 pages of ppl saying i like this or i like that.

Anyway what i would like to say is that Power Tab also has the advantage of having very low system requirments, making it great for ppl who are spending more on there guitars then there comps =P

GP owns lower end systems to the point where the feature to play the piece is almost usless. (this becomes especialy problematic when mutliple instruments are playing etc.)

Yeah, 'twas in the first post, but thanks for your effort to contribute!
God yes...the stop button is glitchy as hell in GP, and the sound freezes up whenever a 16th note run (or faster) is being played. Damn, that's annoying. Especially when you listen to a ton of Satriani >_>
Quote by wasp2020
God yes...the stop button is glitchy as hell in GP, and the sound freezes up whenever a 16th note run (or faster) is being played. Damn, that's annoying. Especially when you listen to a ton of Satriani >_>

o_O I don't think that's the programs fault, I think it's your computers...
Regardless of what size (in MB) the damn thing is, I think we can all see that Guitar Pro has a much nicer interface to work with AND realistic sounds (if you like) instead of Powertab, which sounds like something your mate made up on his mobile when he found "ringtone maker"
Axe FX 2
Matrix GT1000FX
Mesa 4x12
Behringer FCB1010
Im'a lay down a few reasons why GP walks all over power tab.

First: GP files are highly available from UG (Thousands of the buggers)

Second:Every GP file I've used has been 95% correct or more.

Third: the RSE effects > with the right computer, RSE can be great, bringing dull MIDI parts to life.

Four: GP can be used to make high-quality backing tracks for recording or jamming (something power tab does not and probably never will feature. Write a drum/bass line, export, and burn to a CD. Perfect for writing new guitar peices.)

Five: Various instruments that actually sound like they should. Lets face it, PT is nice, but i for one can't stand the endless drone of MIDI notes.

Six: It can help you to write and structure songs.

As much as people would like you to believe there isnt, with 30 Pounds and around 360 Mb difference, there is a whole lot of extra features. Well worth buying, torrenting, or just trying out.

As it stands , my playing has benefitted immensely since i got my hands on GP. I write picking exercises, arpeggio sequences and pretty much every kind of technique-building lick you can think of, then use the programs metronome/speed trainer to help me get difficult phrases and ideas up to speed.

Thats about all...

~Rich
i u sse powertab to save my bands songs so we can come back to them later on. Why pay for GP whe u can use powertab..its cheaper yes..guess itsnto as good, but it'd be my first coice
My gear:
Fender Jazz Bass
Ampeg BA115

Uh, yeah - the exact same for Powertabs.

So what. Every Powertab file I've used has been 95% correct or more. 80% of GP tabs I've seen have either been horrific (and I mean it) or poorly, poorly done.

Third: the RSE effects > with the right computer, RSE can be great, bringing dull MIDI parts to life.

Okay. Can be.

Four: GP can be used to make high-quality backing tracks for recording or jamming (something power tab does not and probably never will feature. Write a drum/bass line, export, and burn to a CD. Perfect for writing new guitar peices.)

Powertab does not have drums (well yes, it does, but not to the extent that GP does). It will have it in the next version (I don't know where you're getting this "probably never will", certainly not from anywhere but your own head). Alright, it doesn't have perfect drums, you can write a bass/drum line, record, and burn to a CD. I don't know what kind of argument you're making here.

Five: Various instruments that actually sound like they should. Lets face it, PT is nice, but i for one can't stand the endless drone of MIDI notes.

Uh, no, both use MIDI, therefore they both sound EXACTLY the same, no matter what. It jsut matters what sound card you're using. Seriously.

...So can Powertab. I've written more then a dozen pieces with it already.

So out of 6 points of why GP "walks all over" PT, all you've mentioned are the features both of them offer. Seriously, have you ever even used Powertab before? Do you even have it on your computer, for gods sakes? "Gee, I don't know what the heck this right here Powertab is, but GP can write arpeggios! It's orgasmic!"

As much as people would like you to believe there isnt, with 30 Pounds and around 360 Mb difference, there is a whole lot of extra features. Well worth buying, torrenting, or just trying out.

There's some extra features, yes, but you haven't mentioned any of them. Except for RSE.

As it stands , my playing has benefitted immensely since i got my hands on GP. I write picking exercises, arpeggio sequences and pretty much every kind of technique-building lick you can think of, then use the programs metronome/speed trainer to help me get difficult phrases and ideas up to speed.

And PT can do exactly the same thing. Jesus Goddamn Christ, never become a salesman. "I don't know about this washing machine, but this one here has a whole buncha settings on it, it can even do a Heavy Wash! It's the most amazing thing since sliced bread! With this baby, I can wear a nice outfit one day, and then wash it and wear it another! Why the hell would you choose that other washing machine, God, what's wrong with you?"

Quote by GuitarManiac09
o_O I don't think that's the programs fault, I think it's your computers...

So? It's a perfectly valid reason for me not to use the program. And all three of my computers are more then adequete enough. If Powertab can play absolutely anything, then GP should also (but nooo, let's give them a flashy layout, that's more important...).
Last edited by wasp2020 at Dec 25, 2006,
Quote by wasp2020

Uh, yeah - the exact same for Powertabs.

So what. Every Powertab file I've used has been 95% correct or more. 80% of GP tabs I've seen have either been horrific (and I mean it) or poorly, poorly done.

Okay. Can be.

Powertab does not have drums (well yes, it does, but not to the extent that GP does). It will have it in the next version (I don't know where you're getting this "probably never will", certainly not from anywhere but your own head). Alright, it doesn't have perfect drums, you can write a bass/drum line, record, and burn to a CD. I don't know what kind of argument you're making here.

Uh, no, both use MIDI, therefore they both sound EXACTLY the same, no matter what. It jsut matters what sound card you're using. Seriously.

...So can Powertab. I've written more then a dozen pieces with it already.

So out of 6 points of why GP "walks all over" PT, all you've mentioned are the features both of them offer. Seriously, have you ever even used Powertab before? Do you even have it on your computer, for gods sakes? "Gee, I don't know what the heck this right here Powertab is, but GP can write arpeggios! It's orgasmic!"

There's some extra features, yes, but you haven't mentioned any of them. Except for RSE.

And PT can do exactly the same thing. Jesus Goddamn Christ, never become a salesman. "I don't know about this washing machine, but this one here has a whole buncha settings on it, it can even do a Heavy Wash! It's the most amazing thing since sliced bread! With this baby, I can wear a nice outfit one day, and then wash it and wear it another! Why the hell would you choose that other washing machine, God, what's wrong with you?"

So? It's a perfectly valid reason for me not to use the program. And all three of my computers are more then adequete enough. If Powertab can play absolutely anything, then GP should also (but nooo, let's give them a flashy layout, that's more important...).

Jesus Christ man, fucking chill.. Some people prefer power tab, some guitar pro, you don't have to throw a huge tantrum. People have OPINIONS, just cause someone likes Guitar Pro and you like Power Tab doesn't mean they are an idiot. The fact you can get so pissed off by such minuscule a topic is rather sad man, grow up.
<i>People have OPINIONS, just cause someone likes Guitar Pro and you like Power Tab doesn't mean they are an idiot.</i>

No, someone saying GP is <i>verifiably</i> better then PT for literally no reason makes them an idiot. Uh, PS3 is sooo much cooler then that dumb kiddie Wii! It has these games I can play, and I can plug it right in my TV! Uhuhuh!

But yes, I disagree with his so called "<I>opinion</i>" that GP is better, that's exactly what my entire post was about, thank you for realizing that (I'll proceed to "grow up" now!).
The main thing for me personaly that makes GP a superior program is that you can slow the tempo of the song (im pretty sure you cant in power tab wthout changing the tab) and this is something that has helped me on a number of occasions.

Personally though, i use both, i like to compare PT tabs and GP tabs (cause most GP files on different sites are always the fricken same!!) to see which one i believe is more correct. But also i find that sometimes PT has songs i wanna play that GP doesnt so for me its good to have both and i use both.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......?
....\__________.?
Quote by GuitarSacrifice
The main thing for me personaly that makes GP a superior program is that you can slow the tempo of the song (im pretty sure you cant in power tab wthout changing the tab) and this is something that has helped me on a number of occasions.

Yeah, you can in powertab, there's a button where you input a tempo marker.

But yes, it's always good to have both, there's a number of songs that are on GP but aren't on any PT (like War and New Blues by Satriani, but I hope to resolve that in time)
Quote by wasp2020
random crap flaming my post

Dude.....chill. Theres no reason for you to just come into a thread and pick someones post apart with no reason. Theres also no reason for you to get so upset about the fact that i think GP > PT.

Whatever kid. Express your opinions, but dont do it so angrily and childishly.

*high fives Adam on way out of thread*
GP > PT, especially since I can play PT's in GP's but not the other way around. :p I only use PT on my lappy (which is quite a crappy one) because GP is too resource-heavy for it, other than that - GP all the way for me.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by richwatkinson
Theres also no reason for you to get so upset about the fact that i think GP > PT.

You're right, there isn't. What the hell kind of person gets mad over some computer program?

Now, this is where it gets hairy - if you can actually find anywhere in that post where I had gotten upset at the fact that you simply prefer GP over PT, then everything will be just peachy. As it stands, no, I have never done such an idiotic thing. So I don't know why the hell someone would accuse someone of something with nothing more then an unfounded assumption.

Thank you for your time!
I use both still but Guitar Pro blew me away with the string bending options.
Just simply allows you to do everything.
GP Rules. Bit in my version it does not have Strat Electric/LP Electric settings or amp EQ on it. What versoin do you have because i have 5 too
Member of the "Defenders of Emo,PM eckman88 to join "

Founder Of The Artcore/Hollow Body Users Club PM me to join

Quote by Chuck Norris
Leading hand sanitizers claim they can kill 99.9 percent of germs. I kill 100 percent of whatever the fuck he wants.
Quote by thehardwayout
GP Rules. Bit in my version it does not have Strat Electric/LP Electric settings or amp EQ on it. What versoin do you have because i have 5 too

5.1, and I can update because I bought the program unlike most
Ive never used Powertab but Guitar Pro makes it a lot more easier to learn songs.
Xbox 360 Gamertag - TheTacoDoctor
Just send a message saying your from UG.
CoD4 anyone?
Quote by TurnToDespair
on guitar pro how do you change the speed of th song half way through???

WHatever point you want to change the speed, press F10 and the mixer box comes up. Then tick "Tempo" and set a new tempo. The mixer boc also allows you to change how loud the guitar is, and the effects, etc.
powertab is just ****ing bad! you can only hear MIDI from the tab and you cant put more than 7 track... but with GP, you can do everything!!
Gp Ftw.
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
Quote by GuitarManiac09
5.1, and I can update because I bought the program unlike most

I am actually thinking about buying the program. Little worried that they only offer you free updates until they move forward a whole number. I think that's pretty dumb
-Roy

My Gear
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Stratocaster
Washburn Lyon (LCT24)
Silvertone Revolver Bass
Ibanez IJV50 Acoustic
Fender CD160E-12
Guild Starfire IV
Some cruddy classical that my parents bought off ebay for like 40 bucks.
In PT, how do you change the like.. spaces between notes?
By which I mean..

Songs going

duh duh duh.........................duhduhduhduhduh duhduh duh

And not just

duh duh duh duh duh duh duh duh

Sorry if that doesn't make sense.

^ Down the bottom of the screen there's the range of note lengths. If you've already written down the notes you're playing and just want to sort out of the timing, click on the note that's longer/shorter and then change the length.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic