Page 5 of 17
i have both of these too, power tab first then guitar pro later when i could afford it

like many things in life, it was worth it to spend the money on the higher quality product, because guitar pro is basically a larger better version of power tab, although both are very good and functional

if you can, running guitar pro is worth it but if you have a crappy computer or no money power tab is a pretty nice program for free
Definately Guitar Pro. It takes a while to figure out,but Its just better than Power Tab in every way.....except for size. WHEN THE **** IS GP6 COMING OUT!
personally, i find it easier to create music in powertab than guitarpro, the only thing that would be better for powertab is to add more instruments, but i like learning stuff in guitarpro, i don't know why though
Quote by ledhendrix711
do u guys know where i can get guitar tabs ive bin lookin every where on the internet..

Quote by Muphin
I take the strings off before I smash my guitars. I usually go through about 2 a week. It's mad fun.
anyways thanx but if ya guys could tell me that how could i see those god damn tablatures id be so happy i cant read notes damiit!!!

PERSIAN PRIDE >3 ....NICKERZ!
Quote by jesussowns
Definately Guitar Pro. It takes a while to figure out,but Its just better than Power Tab in every way.....except for size. WHEN THE **** IS GP6 COMING OUT!

well, it's only at 5.2 just now, and version 4 went up to 4.11, so i'm guessing quite a while.
But i prefer Guitar Pro, IMO it's easier to use, nicer to look at and easy to understand, i just couldn,t get powertab to do what i wanted it to do.
Hey, pretty new with guitar. And Power Tab used to be very helpful with learning songs, but now, it won't let me print. I even tried reinstalling it. Anybody have a similar problem?
Guitar Pro is a very nice program, but Powertab has been able to write 2 voices years before GP... that is why I chose Powertab over GP. Having made over 400 tabs... and being of the opinion that both programs are excellent... it is my opinion that Power Tab Editor is slightly better just for the reason that it is easier to manipulate information... it has a ritardando/accelelrando button and the musical directions (Da Coda and Dal Segno) are far superior to GP5.2.

That... and the approval process of powertabs.net is far tougher than MSB or GProtab.net, thus the quality of the tabs is far better... and UG has nothing to say about it, since it stole the entire Powertab Archive a year ago.

Having said that... both programs are very good.
^I can't find guitar pro on ebay, can you give a link please
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

?
I can't afford guitar pro =(, so I have to use power tab.
also, I'm not really making tabs at the moment, just playing them, and I have one song I really want to play, but there literally isn't a powertab for it anywhere
GP owns because you can select a single bar and play it over and over again. this helps when your trying to learn a song
Quote by MyGuitarAndMe

voodoo child - jimi hendrix (good song by a crap guitarist)
nothing else matters - metalica (closest they'll ever come to true metal)
can't stop - rhcp (john is not god)
fix you - coldplay (the shredding is top)
Quote by DezFoxtoN
GP is free if ya DL it from a torrent site

thats what i did
anyhow
pt is free
theyre both really close
but i like in guitar pro how you can look at a single bar and loop passages to learn em better...so, idk if its worth the money, but if youre gonna torrent it, its better than pt
Quote by metaldud536
Because there is a bomb in the lasagna!

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
make loud howling noises and throw your feces at them whenever they bring it up, I suggest that your GF does the same.
Quote by szekelymihai
Is that a newer vs of GP ? i dont have the thing there with the les paul

Sorry, I didn't notice that comment. I just read the new ones and assumed the rest were a string of 'Gp PwNs!!! 101z!' or 'Dudez, gp'z is the totally freez0rz if you dl it from torents man..'

Yes, it is a newer version of GP, you can go online to download the updates or if you're one of the cheap slags who won't shell out 60 bucks, go download the latest version through a torrent.
I love GP, mostly because it automatically ends bars for you.

however, Power Tab is for more of an actual music writer XD

The only issue I have with Power Tab is it doesn't automatically end bars...you gotta do it and that's hard to do XD

it also doesn't have a beat counter, so it's very diffacult to write solos that are REALLY fast proporly.

So yeah, I bought Guitar Pro ^^
Gear:
Gibson LP
Marshall
DF-7 Foot Peddle
I personally hate writing music on Power Tab - it's really not very user friendly, and you can't shift notes around very easily. The playback thing gets really annoying and there's a really low range of instruments, and the sound of the slides and bends is mucked up.

I only use it if I just really need to hear the timing for some less audible guitar parts, that's it. But as it's free... I can't really complain.

I LOVED GP when I had the free 15 day trial, it's a shame I'm too much of a pussy to ask my dad if he can fork out £30 for the full version :P.
Quote by Paul Lambeth

Is it lame to quote yourself in your sig?
$49.99 or $0.00? I'll stay with powertab.
"I worked hard. Anyone who works as hard as I did can achieve the same results.” ~ Johann Sebastian Bach
Quote by Jonbenet692000
Andrew Edit: user warned

You, are the scum of the earth. They deserve their money.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I find Guitar Pro has a much larger selection of sounds... Rather than Powertab: "Bleep Bleep Bleep". Not to mention you can import PowerTabs into Guitar Pro. >_>

As well, Guitar Pro makes it very easy to export MIDI (.midi) files to be imported to such programs as FL 7... But I guess that runs into FL 7 Talk.

I was surprised that people had issues with Guitar Pro... other than its price, of course.
I've downloaded PT, really good, just a few anoying things, the range of sounds isn't very big, the sound of the slides are just crap, and you can't put in drums, but changing the length of notes isn't hard at all, it's just shift+up OR shift+down, depending if you want the notes longer or shorter, but that's pretty obvious I'll stay with pt until i can find the money for gp5,
so i downloaded guitar power tab and now i have to extract the zip file im using a windows xp it says extracting on the extraction wizard but its been like that for a few minutes did i do something wrong or what do i do someone please help
Am I one of the few people who purchased GP5 the day it came out? Which means I got the entire MSB library along with it for free. I use GP for non-guitar things too, I've composed a score arranged for a DCI band.... Powertab is too bare
i dont no how to download powertab can someone guide me through the steps of where you got powertab and how you download it on xp
Quote by demonofdeath
i dont no how to download powertab can someone guide me through the steps of where you got powertab and how you download it on xp

http://www.power-tab.net/guitar.php
http://www.harmony-central.com/Software/Windows/powertab.html

Download the zip folder. Un-zip it (or just open it - do a virus scan of the folder just incase). Double click the .exe and install. That should be the way to do it. Then just follow the simple instructions.

Oh, and for people that keep saying download GuitarPro, check your inboxes for warnings. I don't appreciate people providing illegal ways to get this software and I'm sure GP don't either.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i downloaded the zipped compressed powertab file at download.com but when it got done i couldnt extract the file i right clicked it brought up extraction wizard then when i got to the point where it was supposed to extract it said no files to extract this has happened to me many times since ive been trying download it i just dont no shit about these file things
Go to that second link (harmoney-central). Right click on the download link. Save target as. Untick that 'close dialogue box when download finishes' thing. Then click 'open folder'. It'll lead you to the place that you've saved it. Then double click on the zip folder. It should just open. I think from then on you should just have to double click on the setup.exe file, click run and then it should install.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
i started out with PT and used it for over a year. After i got more experience writing music and found i about GP i got it and have been using it every since. What i like the most about it and whats keeping me hooked is the RSE. Having that realistic sound is making all the difference.
Could someone please tell me how to get rid of the staff in PT?

I have the lyrics in above my tab, and the staff is covering it up. Is there any way that I can rid of the staff so I can read my lyrics?