Page 5 of 73
pwnd in the hardcore forum? the shame, dude, the shame...
haha yeah. so anwyay.

personally i hate the screams in Miasma (album) except for Im Charming. in that one he sounds generally pissed, whereas everything else (like Flies and A Vulgar Picutre) i think he sounds a little whiny. still though.
Quote by Contraband
So if someone thinks In Flames are shit, they need a brain check? So what you're basically saying is that anyone who has an opinion needs a brain check?

Next, you just blatantly contradicted yourself. When you emphasize the fact that they are not DEATH METAL, but melodic DEATH METAL, you sound like a total fucking douche. In essence, you're saying that a band that is death metal that has emphasis on melody is not death metal? This is like saying that avant-garde black pirate folk metal is not folk metal.

I agree, the In Flames thing was a bit over the top... regretted it as soon as I typed it.

Melodic Death Metal is not simply death metal with melody. The growling (or screaming) is often very different, the riffs are different (melodicity (?) comes from this). Drumming is not overall as fast, the songs are more bent on catchiness than brutality. Death metal with melody would be something like Death, which is very melodic (for DM) while still keeping a

I don't appreciate being called a fucking douche either, I haven't flamed you.

However, I will as of now stop this senseless arguing (I hardly think I'm going to convince you of anything).

Quote by Masochist_Lust
I just saw a video for 'Miasma'. I thought the song was awesome

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJG2Q_82FC4

I laughed so hard at the sign that said "Loose Sluts" for some reason haha

--Masochist Lust

Miasma is funny. They look like a bunch of N64 nerds in that vid
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor

Black metal? nigga plz....(yeah yeah, this response is a little late). Try deathcore.
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by Everybody
Plus_the_Bear is the entertainment event of the holiday season!

My rig:

Ibanez Custom Chinese Fireball
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
2 Crate solid state half-stack cabinets and ampheads.
Digitech 2000 Whammy/Wah Pedal
Dunlops Picks
Quote by mike130
Miasma is funny. They look like a bunch of N64 nerds in that vid

Yeah, they were kinda just like... I dunno. You saw them walking down a street... And then they were headbanging, and then they were walking down the street again, and it was weird...

And what the fuck is deathcore? Excuse me for my genre n00bishness.

--Masochist Lust
Deathcore does not exist, and I just tried to stop the senseless genre war about this band.
MELODIC DEATH, LOOK IT UP IN THE REC. THREAD

Quote by Masochist_Lust

--Masochist Lust

A false name given to trash/death mix bands with slight metalcore influences such as breakdowns (Lamb of God, Job for a Cowboy), normally associated with the American metalcore scene.

Really, the scene is the only thing that links them, and bands such as Gojira (French "Deathcore", meaning experimental death/trash) are not even related to the metalcore scene, making the only relation between them useless and not really a genre.
Quote by Twist of fate

Last edited by mike130 at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by Masochist_Lust

--Masochist Lust

A name people have given to death metal bands that put a large emphasis on the use of breakdowns. Most people would just call it metalcore, but it really has nothing in common with metalcore aside from the breakdowns (which really isn't a hardcore/metalcore exclusive trait to begin with) and the occasional two-step beat. EX: Despised Icon, Job For a Cowboy, Glass Casket, etc.. If you were to compare some of these "deathcore" bands to a metalcore band such as Integrity or Mörser, you'd pass it off as death metal without even thinking twice about it.

Back on the topic of TBDM though, I'd say that they're a melodic death metal band, though not in the same vein as In Flames. Actually, come to think of it, I don't really think In Flames has really played straight up melodic death metal since The Jester Race was released. When I think of TBDM, I'd more likely associate them with Arsis, At The Gates, Quo Vadis (Canada), and (to some extent) Edge of Sanity; death metal bands that put considerable focus on creating melody rather than all-out brutality. Not to mention the drumming is straight up death metal.

Really though, I think TBDM only gets a metalcore label because they like to use Gothenburg-style, Iron Maiden influenced guitar harmonies, much like the current wave of shitty metalcore that exists these days. That's not to say that all metalcore is bad (I do enjoy some), but hearing every new band in the genre trying to recreate Whoracle and Slaughter of the Soul in a soul-less manner gets very old and annoying very quickly.
Last edited by JimFear86 at Jan 22, 2007,
Quote by mike130
I agree, the In Flames thing was a bit over the top... regretted it as soon as I typed it.

But if you regretted it as soon as you typed it, you could have just pressed the magical Backspace button. Perhaps you regretted it as soon as you posted it?

Quote by frozen-dirt
^Deathcore? nigga plz...try melodic death metal.

You used a different amount of periods than he did...he used four, you used three. It probably detracts from the humor because now the two statements dont like identical. Of course, if you were truly trying for that, you would have had to put an eight-word phrase within parantheses also.

/ruins everything
Quote by Bottled Ink Co.
But if you regretted it as soon as you typed it, you could have just pressed the magical Backspace button. Perhaps you regretted it as soon as you posted it?

Ye, that
M'bad.
Quote by Twist of fate

I have all of their albums, my favorite is "What A Horrible Night To Have A Curse" It kicks ass.
I love BDM. I'm Charming, Funeral Thirst, This Ain't No Fu[/arial]ckin' Love Song, Miscarriage, Burning the Hive, Thy Cosmic Horror, When the Last Grave, etc. are all excellent songs. Statutory Ape has ruined me though. I can't say Statutory Rape anymore, I always leave out the R unconciously. I had a conversation about that once and kept saying 'Ape' instead of 'Rape' and everyone thought I was having a speech impediment of some sort.
^ BDM's version of the song is better than the awful original.
Did you bother to read new forum rules? I'm gonna report you for that.
What song did TBDM cover?
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Oh.

Pretty much erry band does it better than the original.
Get baked, study theory.

Quote by :-D
Why are you bringing Cm into this?
Quote by Embodiment
I love BDM. I'm Charming, Funeral Thirst, This Ain't No Fu[/arial]ckin' Love Song, Miscarriage, Burning the Hive, Thy Cosmic Horror, When the Last Grave, etc. are all excellent songs. Statutory Ape has ruined me though. I can't say Statutory Rape anymore, I always leave out the R unconciously. I had a conversation about that once and kept saying 'Ape' instead of 'Rape' and everyone thought I was having a speech impediment of some sort.

I love statutory ape My favorite song by them besides.... Im Charming, Miasma, Vice Campaign (that part where Trevor screams for a long time is beautiful, around 2:43. It sends shivers down my spine, and then that awesome guitar tremolo riff that stops abruptly that follows after), oh man . Miscarriage has a really awesome, brutal intro too.
Quote by insideac
Hey, I know you people all say that the Black Dahlia Murder is metalcore

WTF!!! THey are no where near metal core! They are ****ing death metal! end O' story.
Who would you say that they sound like?

I'm still kinda a n00b listening to metal so compare them to some band I'll probly know pease and thank you.
"It's the preachers,and the teachers.Governments,close minded creatures."

my gears not worth the time it would take to put up here
Quote by wetwilliamthe3r
Who would you say that they sound like?

I'm still kinda a n00b listening to metal so compare them to some band I'll probly know pease and thank you.

Is it just me or are bands like Nearea and As Blood Runs black, etc. ripping off TBDM?
Quote by Rything Shred
WTF!!! THey are no where near metal core! They are ****ing death metal! end O' story.

They're not tr00 death metal really, more deathcore. Who gives a fuck though, they own faces and that's all that matters.
Quote by Embodiment
They're not tr00 death metal really, more deathcore. Who gives a fuck though, they own faces and that's all that matters.

I wouldn't say deathcore just because of the fact that most deathcore is just death metal with a lot more breakdowns and Black Dahlia only have a few here and there. But lets just drop the genre thing and just agree that Black Dahlia are mad 'cabre.

Inhuman, the mounting of a tragedy, MACABREEEEEE!!!!!!
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
So Black Dahlia's newest drummer is the the ex- All That Remains drummer? Personally, I think it brings a whole new aspect to BDM. I really enjoyed ATR newest albums drum work.
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Quote by GoodCharloteSux
So Black Dahlia's newest drummer is the the ex- All That Remains drummer? Personally, I think it brings a whole new aspect to BDM. I really enjoyed ATR newest albums drum work.

Whoa =| Whattttt? I think I missed something.
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
I haven't listened to ATR in 2 years. I have no idea of their ex-drummer.
BDM will probably still own our faces, no matter what. I want more songs with lyrics similar to A Vulgar Picture.
Im starting to hate BDM >_> From what my friend tells me, and from a few words we exchanged, they can be real pricks. I love their music, but the fact that they are assholes, and suck as people, is a huge turn off for me

/seekscomfort
^Yeah, I'll just come in say, without really knowing a whole lot about the band, that they lose some points for having a go at Nile (more specifically Karl) over what he said when announcing the Ozzfest thing.

And they did so on their Myspace, pretty wimpy right there. *Just so you know Karl was taking the piss and said that they were the first true Death Metal band to play Ozzfest, which is true...
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Quote by shhaannt
ya theyre awsome...

anyone know what scales they use for their songs and solos?

harmonic minor, aeolian, phrygian-dominant, altered-dominant, for the most part and mostly all in C.