AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
i play in a thrash metal band, and i'm building my own guitar from scratch. it's either gonna be shaped like a b.c rich ironbird or an explorer (with the esp head)...

it's for a school project so i'd like to keep it cheap but at the same time i want the sound in the end to be a decent one because i'd like to be able to play it live.

it's gona be made out of basswood, so what kind of pickups should i be looking at?

i only need a bridge pickup for now, what would work?

duncan distortion...invader...live wire-metal...jb...

dimarzio d sonic...x2n....super distortion...

those are a few i'm lookin into right now...which would work best? i want alot of crunch, and not too much treble but i also don't want a fat sound. no dimebuckers! we play mostly pantera, children of bodom, testament, arch enemy type stuff.
so let me know what you think!
sheumack111
UG Board King
591 IQ
Why dont you take a look at the 50000 other threads about someone wanting to upgrade thier pickups in a basswood guitar???
hmmm_de_hum
617 IQ
Pantera - Bill lawrence Xl-500
COB - EMG Hz
Testament - .......?
Arch enemy - JB

i think thats what each band has in bridge position, dont go for the invader.....its really muddy, the live wire is pretty cool but its gonna be a bit complicated trying to wire an active and passive (assuming its dual hums) If it was me i would use the B.L but thats is just because imo it gives the fattest sound...
AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
i don't have a problem with wiring an active pickup, my friend knows how to do it.

what pickups on my list would sound liek crap on basswood? i might as well eliminate them now...

duncan distortion...invader...live wire-metal...jb...

dimarzio d sonic...x2n....super distortion...
incockgnito
1,023 IQ
Evo - neck - solos
D-Sonic (notice the 2 instalation options - "With the solid bar toward the bridge, the sound is a little brighter and better-defined, and this is the direction we recommend for heavy strings and low tunings. With the adjustable polepieces toward the bridge, the sound is warmer and a touch louder, and we think this works best for standard tuning and more solo-oriented playing") - bridge - for metal a'like rythm

Both pickups have split-coil and parallel options for even more variety of sound
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
not an invader, that'll be muddy in basswood.

i don't have much experience with the others...
Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
yeah the d sonic sounds pretty cool, i heard it on the dimarzio site. the thing is, the sample song they have for it is a linkin park song...so i have no idea what it would sound like for leads. it's like perfect for rhythm though.

would it be cool on a basswood? oh and i play in standard tuning a whole step down...
incockgnito
1,023 IQ
Well, D-sonic is also "new" (2004) Petrucci sound, don't bother with LP s*** they sound like s*** ewen on PRS guitars with DiMarzios... I'm going to have Evo/D-sonic set in next week or two, if you are not hurry I can give you sound examples then on basswood Ibanez thru POD XT
AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
that'd be great. i loaned my dad like sixty bucks today so i can't but it anyway. i'll wait two weeks to buy the pickup, just to be sure about what i'm gettin
AlGeeEater
Luthier
212 IQ
I like Duncan Distortions in basswood.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ that might work pretty well in BW, chris... I tried it in alder and it was a bit trebly (could have been the krank playing a part too ), BW might warm it up.

Quote by classicrocker01
Only on UG would I say I got engaged and bought a jet city and get congratulated on the amp

AlGeeEater
Luthier
212 IQ
Quote by Dave_Mc
^ that might work pretty well in BW, chris... I tried it in alder and it was a bit trebly (could have been the krank playing a part too ), BW might warm it up.

Yeah, i'd stay away from using Distortions in any wood that leans towards the brighter end of the tone spectrum. Distortions work good in mahogany & korina!

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Dave_Mc
Chirp and Swirl
2,967 IQ
^ yeah.

is it just me or do the big production companies pay no attention whatsoever to what wood the pickups they select work well with?!

Quote by classicrocker01

AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
the duncan distortions sound nice, i've played them in a basswood warlock i'm pretty sure...it sounded good. but i don't like warlocks.

yeah, so so far i've got duncan distortions and dimarzio d sonic's that'll work now i just need to decide between the two.
incockgnito
1,023 IQ
I'm really sorry but I'm not going to have sound examples for you - yesterday I f*** up, I was drunk and I stepped on my guitar's neck (it was 95% ready to rock&roll, I was waiting only for new strings) Now I'm gona have to buy new body, I don't have money so....
AnarchyGuitarst
454 IQ
aw man, hey well thanks for offering to help. i hope you can get a good guitar, sorry to hear about your old one though.
Generalpwnt
Righteous
1,727 IQ
Ford F-150. I think it's made of metal...
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Walternativo
Rock Guitarist
495 IQ
Quote by incockgnito
I'm really sorry but I'm not going to have sound examples for you - yesterday I f*** up, I was drunk and I stepped on my guitar's neck (it was 95% ready to rock&roll, I was waiting only for new strings) Now I'm gona have to buy new body, I don't have money so....

Say what you will but that is rock n roll.
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard