hi, ive just recently picked up electric guitars and like most beginners i cant afford a les paul

just want to ask is there a big difference in the sound between an eclipse and a les paul?

i read somewhere that eclipse is VERY similar to the les paul
They probably would be quite similar...do to the similar body shapes, but i think the ESP is a little more metal oriented, while the LP is better for rock and ****...id unno...its mostly preference and budget

...or somethin'.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

I have a related question about the eclipse and les paul. I want a les paul style guitar with EMGs. Should I buy an Epiphone LP and install EMGs or just spend the money on an Eclipse with EMGs already in it stock. It would cost about the same, I think the Eclipse may be a better overall quality guitar for the money but I'm curious about everyone elses views.
Gibson SG Special Ebony
Epiphone Sheraton w/ Seymour Duncan JB and SH-1 '59
Fender 1985 Made in Japan Stratocaster
Ibanez S470 DXQM Charcoal Brown
Simon Patrick CW Spruce Top Acoustic
OMG ARE YOU JOKING ME?!?!?
the gibson is top quality, the esp (or ltd cause and esp is the same price as a gibby) is most definitely not
the woods, pickups, electronics, and quality of products of the gibson destroys the ltd
Quote by peever
the gibson is top quality, the esp (or ltd cause and esp is the same price as a gibby) is most definitely not
the woods, pickups, electronics, and quality of products of the gibson destroys the ltd

You have to be kidding me.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
You have to be kidding me.

actually no
a gibson demolishes and ltd or esp.
i guarentee you
personally id rather have a professional highly trained american luthier build my guitar than some guy working for 25 cents an hour in an asian factory
ESP is like Gibson.
LTD is like Epiphone.

Dont try to match LTD against Gibson COUGH*peever*COUGH, cause it just doesnt match up.

All in all, the ESP/LTD are more metal oriented than the Gibson/Epiphone's.

Thinner neck, while the Gibson has a fat neck.
active EMG's, while the Gibson has PAF's or w/e (I'm not too good on Gibson spec's)
1 tone, while the Gibson has 2 tones
2 volume, while the Gibson has 2 volumes.

Rock=Gibson
Metal=ESP

Simple as that.

They only thing that they have in common is the body wood and the shape.

Edit: Peever, you're a ****in retard. ESP far passes the quality of Gibson. Nowadays, their quality control=

Sorry for gettin mad, but you just flamed ESP guitars.
yeah, i flame esp guitars.
and for good reason
their not all their cracked up to be
and everyone now just likes them cause a bunch of artists use them
Yeah, and you just like Gibsons 'cause they've been known for being high quality guitars for a long ass time.

Gibsons are not all their cracked up to be.

Edit: Also, "why" do you think the artists use them? 'Cause they ****in rock.

You dont see Billy Joe using an ESP. He uses Gibsons.
Quote by peever
yeah, i flame esp guitars.
and for good reason
their not all their cracked up to be

You could really say the same about the Gibson. Really, I could spend hours aruguing with you about this stupid topic, but I have better things to do.

It's all about preference, personally, I've played a gibson les pual standard...it's very nice...but the LP is more than 2x the ltd. From what I've played, I much prefer the ltd over the gibson considering that the price jumped WAY up from where it first was (call me crazy but I do). It would be very nice to have a LP...but i'm awfully happy with my guitar.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by drop-dead666
Yeah, and you just like Gibsons 'cause they've been known for being high quality guitars for a long ass time.

Thank you for pointing that out.

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
The ESP has a thinner body for lighter weight, so it has a BIT less sustain and not quite as much of a "meaty" tone, which is what I'd describe it. It's light, heavy (sounding) and if you get EMGs really high output great for metal, but the EMG versions have 60's in the neck which IMO give 'em excellent cleans.

If you get one with Duncans it's probably even more versatile (doesn't do metal QUITE as well, IMO, but it does other stuff nicer).
haha
IMO the ESP/LTD eclipse sounds more like a SG than a les paul...
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
They are both good guitars. If you play metal go for the LTD.
Don't follow the trends. Do what feels right.
ah... i see...

i don't think i will get an esp because im not really into metal

i think i will get an epiphone sg instead, is this a good idea? (i like ac/dc lol)

also, what is the difference between sg 400 and sg special? other than the price range?
Quite a few differences actually. The 400 has a set neck and the special has bolt-on. The special doesnt have any neck bindings or inlay work. The body of the special is a laminated alder whereas the 400 is solid mahogany. The 400 is way better man.
Don't follow the trends. Do what feels right.
yeah if you have to chose between epi sg special and 400 then 400 all the way!
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
wait wait actual ESP Eclipse or a LTD EC cos dont mix those two up. ESP Eclipse seriously will **** all over the gibson anyday no matter whatever you think it will kill it every single ****ing day 24/7 365 days a ****ing year. and plus its really not just orientated to metal it can do anything you chuck at it as long as you dont have EMG's installed.

oh btw drop-dead666 careful with the facts you give out cos you can be technically wrong just to give you a heads up but most Eclipse come with 2 vol, 2 tone set ups like mine
Quote by peever

the same can be said for Gibson.

pwnt
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
I don't mean to judge anyone, but it seems like there's a lot of close minded or biased people. I have both the ESP Eclipse and a Gibson Les Paul. I'm in a touring band, so I come across a lot of different guitars, setups, and opinions. The fact is, is that these are 2 very different guitars. It is all preference. The Les Paul is not better quality than the ESP, and the ESP is not better quality than the Les Paul. It's all preference. I will say that the Les Paul has a little bit of a fatter sound to it than the ESP, where as the ESP has a more higher end sound (in sound, not quality) in my opinion (again, the word is "opinion") but that doesn't make it better or worse. Now, the other topic of changing pickups. Yes, you can buy a guitar that already has the pickups that you want. But the truth of that matter is that when you purchase a guitar, there are 2 important key factors: Feel and Tone. You need both in order to be comfortable with the guitar. You want that guitar to feel as if it's an extension of your body, as if it were an appendage, and has the tone you desire. If tone is off, it can make a guitar not feel comfortable. Most metal-oriented guitars have a thin neck. But what if you're not comfortable with that? What if you want the thick neck of a Les Paul, with the sound of something a little more high gain? I don't see any problem with putting EMG's into a Les Paul. You are customizing the guitar. That way, you get the feel and the tone that you want. Gibson did not make a Les Paul with EMG's. Zack Wylde wanted one, so he had Gibson make what you know today as the Zack Wylde Signature Series Les Paul: a Les Paul with EMG's, right from the factory. Now, if Gibson is doing it, how can you be ruining the guitar if you do it yourself? A set of EMG's, on average, based on the 81/85 setup, or the more and more popular 81/60 setup, will cost between $200-$250. You can get a Les Paul Standard for around $2000. So, along with the other slight modifications you'll need to do in order to get the EMG's to work (pots.,etc) you're looking at around $2500. The Zack Wylde Signature series cost a little over $4000 (this is Gibson, not Epiphone). So you're saving almost $2000. Go with what you like. If you like the Eclipse, get the Eclipse. If you like the feel of the Les Paul, and the more metal-ish sound, there's nothing wrong with using EMG's. Again, it's preference. And just a side note, you don't need active pickups to be metal. Many metal players use passive pickups, and prefer them. Willie Adler from Lamb of God, has a signature series ESP Eclipse, but he substituted the EMG's for a Seymour Duncan JB on the bridge, and a Seymour Duncan 59 on the neck, both passive pickups. Darkest Hour's Mike Schleibaum also uses Seymour Duncans, while Kris Norris (no longer in Darkest Hour) swears by EMG's. Björn Gelotte of In Flames uses a Gibson Les Paul with, oh my god, EMG's. So to say that you should not do that is to say that Björn is wrong, a guy that tours the world in a band that has put out several successful records. What it all boils down to is preference. Feel and tone are key, and sometimes, in order to achieve your preferences, you have to make adjustments. Again, not attacking anyone, just saying that in the end, as owner of both guitars, both the Les Paul and the Eclipse are stand up guitars, none better than the other.
Quote by peever

I don't mean to burst your bubble (it sounds like your a big Les Paul fan) but your statement is not entirely true. Les Paul bodies and necks are made out of Mahogany, just like the ESP Eclipse. The pickups on a Les Paul Standard come equipped with Burstbucker Pros. The Eclipse comes equipped with either the EMG's, an industry standard, or Seymour Duncans, also an industry standard. Les Pauls have been using Gotoh bridges, and Tonepros bridges. The ESP Eclipse uses Gotoh, and the LTD EC-1000 (the lower model of the Eclipse, although still a top of the line guitar) uses Tonepros. The new '08 Les Paul uses Grover Locking Tuners. The Eclipse uses Gotoh Magnum Locking Tuners, the same tuners on the Kirk Hammett signature series guitar. The old Les Paul Standard was using Green Key tuners, not even locking tuners. ESP has always been using Gotoh, Grover and Sperzel locking tuners. So before you bash the quality of something, get the facts first. It's ok to be a big Les Paul fan, and stand by them 100% and swear to defend them at all costs, but at the same time, make sure you don't make yourself look stupid in the process (and no, I'm not calling you stupid. I just said you may have made yourself LOOK stupid) by saying Gibson uses the best top self components, when ESP and even LTD use the exact same components. Here's a recap:

Gibson Les Paul '08 Standard
ESP Eclipse II
LTD EC-1000

LP: Set-Neck Constuction
ESP: Set-Neck Construction
LTD: Set-Neck Construction

LP Body and Neck: Mohogany
ESP Body and Neck: Mohogany
LTD Body and Neck: Mohogany

LP Scale Length and Frets: 24.75" 22 Frets
ESP: Same
LTD: Same, but with 24 frets

LP Fretboard: Rosewood
ESP: Ebony
LTD: Ebony
*note - Rosewood and Ebony are not better than one another. It is preference. My eclipse has an ebony fretboard, my les paul has a rosewood fretboard, and I also own an LTD H-1000, with a rosewood fretboard.

LP Tuners: Grover Locking Tuners
ESP: Gotoh Magnum Locking Tuners
LTD: ESP Locking Tuners

LP Bridge and Tail Piece: Tonepros
ESP: Gotoh
LTD: Tonepros

LP Pickups: Burstbucker Pros
ESP: EMG/Seymour Duncan
LTD: EMG/Seymour Duncan

So as you can see, both the ESP Eclipse, the LTD EC-1000, and the Gibson Les Paul all use high end components, and why wouldn't they? They are all high-end guitars.
Last edited by andiana_jones at Oct 21, 2008,
Quote by peever
actually no
a gibson demolishes and ltd or esp.
i guarentee you
personally id rather have a professional highly trained american luthier build my guitar than some guy working for 25 cents an hour in an asian factory

All ESP guitars are built by luthiers. From what I've been told, most LTD's builders are highly trained, but not luthiers, although there are some luthiers there overseeing the process. There are entry level LTD's made in Indonesia, but there are also very high-end LTD's, some even top of the line, made in Korea. ESP's are made in Japan, and by luthiers. Again, do your homework.
I always considered LTD Deluxe guitars to be about the same quality of the Gibson Standards. the lower end LTDs are like Epis.

ESP Standard series are kinda like really high end gibsons (they are hand-built iirc)

The 2 guitars are suited for different styles, but since you want to put EMGs in the epi anyways id say go for the LTD.
Yes, the high end LTD's, such as the Deluxe Series are, in my opinion, the same quality as the Gibson Standard. From there, you go down to a mid series, and an entry level series. Anything below the 400 series is considered entry level, and made in Indonesia. Anything above the 400 series is make in Korea (from what I'm told) and yes, the Deluxe Series is top of the line, right along with ESP and Gibson. The LTD EC-1000 and ESP Eclipse are virtually the same guitar, with some minor differences, as described in the response above about the Gibsons using high quality components, and the ESP's and LTD's using garbage (totally untrue). One difference that is not listed, is that the LTD was probably built by a highly trained builder, whereas the ESP was built by a luthier, but, I can't swear to that as far as the LTD goes. Regardless, it is a top of the line guitar. I own an LTD H-1000 Deluxe, that I would not be caught without while on tour, and the same goes for my ESP Eclipse. I do bring my Gibson, but usually use the ESP and the LTD.
ESP Eclipses are not that orientated towards metal, unless you get the ones with EMGs. If you get the Eclipses with SDs they are good for everything.
Once I shaved them on a friends razor so when he picked it up he just goes "ARE THESE PUBES! OH MY GOD!" and starting beating the crap out of me.
Quote by azn_guitarist25
wait wait actual ESP Eclipse or a LTD EC cos dont mix those two up. ESP Eclipse seriously will **** all over the gibson anyday no matter whatever you think it will kill it every single ****ing day 24/7 365 days a ****ing year. and plus its really not just orientated to metal it can do anything you chuck at it as long as you dont have EMG's installed.

oh btw drop-dead666 careful with the facts you give out cos you can be technically wrong just to give you a heads up but most Eclipse come with 2 vol, 2 tone set ups like mine

I'd rather have a '58 lp than any ESP
I reallly love Les Pauls, but I don't think they're worth 2 grand. If they were 1,500 for a Standard, then that'd be a good price. However, I can get just as high quality and good sounding Les Pauls for cheaper, such as Edwards (ESP basically), Orville (japanese gibsons), Greco, or Tokai. The Eclipse is a great guitar, but as some said, it's not AS thick as a true Les Paul, but it's still a thick guitar. It really boils down to if you want a skinnier neck and smaller body (ESP), or a bigger neck and heavy body (Gibson).
What's with the thread revivals people?!
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
What's with the thread revivals people?!

Its the same with every thread pretty much

To the OP, the best thing to do is drag yourself over to a store and try them. They will sound a bit different, as yes ESP caters more for the metal crowd while gibson is seen as the classic rock and blues guitar.

If you are wanting a les paul sound, theres plenty of manufacturers making copies, tokai, agile and epiphone, some of which are decent, and of course far better value then the more expensive guitars. But the LP shape isnt for everyone so try em out.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by stratman_13
andiana_jones, I love you.

tru dat

but next time break that shit up in paragraphs yo
Yeah, sorry about that. I wasn't thinking about grammer. I was just thinking about setting the record straight so that the kid that wrote the original question would have facts, and not biased opinioins. Next time I go off on a tangent, I'll try to make it easier to read.
Quote by drop-dead666

ur a twoface, seriously
ur the dude in my sig who said gibsons own
Quote by Racer X
tru dat

but next time break that shit up in paragraphs yo

thats what iwas thinking also but still aindiana_jones im glad that for u being a n00b to this site ur alot more informed then half the people here
My Gear:
Jackson DK2M
PRS Paul Allender Sig
Epiphone SG Special
Fender Blues Jr.
Roland Micro Cube