Page 1 of 3
Bleh bleh I wanna play a rhythm part with a lead over it, sexaey tim please help meee?

Ok i've been talking to some people in the chat and it seems that some people got cooledit but dont really know what to do with it or how to multitrack, which is the best and most handy feature of this program. I?m quite a dumbass myself but somehow I figured out how easy it is. I'll take the time to shortly explain a few things about multitrack so you can start making your own multitracked song within minutes. Multitracking for morons!

Ok I presume you have a fully working/installed/registered version of Cooledit Pro. If you're gonna be all hardcore and illegal you can download it off various p2p programs from which im not saying the name, there's also a registration code somewhere on the web as well, i'm not giving it to you but you could consider a google search on the registration name Peter Quistgard

Please note that im presuming you already know how to plug in your mic or connect your axe via the line in. Do a search in this forum if you?re not sure how to connect your guitar to your computer and setup the volumes and such..if you cant find it perhaps i'll explain it later when i have more time.

Since geocities doesnt allow me to link to my files i just have to upload post***** this thread and put everything here in seperate post.

Let?s go, if you start cooledit and get rid of the annoying tip of the day this will be your screen:
Attachments:
one.jpg
There we go, cooledit will standard load up in multi track mode. Which is what you are seeing right now. Now let me introduce you to your new biggest friend.

The button encircled in red is the switch to: Multitrack / Edit Waveform view. With this button you can switch between modes. Remember where it?s at, it?s gonna be handy in the future. Now I?ll simply explain how to do a small multitracked song. For example, if you want to perhaps record a rhythm part with a lead guitar or bass over it this could be quite usefull.

PS: my name is not Peter
Attachments:
two.jpg
Last edited by turinbrakes at Jul 1, 2003,
Step 1:

Be sure you are in multitrack mode when you proceed.

This is a zoom on track 1 and 2 of the multitrack screen. Now press the R button on track 1. This button indicates on which track you?re gonna record your part on.

(The M button is to mute a certain channel and the S channel is to instantly shut every other channel up and let the track play Solo. Please note that as long as the R button is selected, Cooledit will record on this particular track whenever you press the actual record button at the bottom left of your screen.)
Attachments:
three.jpg
Step 2:

Now press the record button on the bottom left of your screen and start playing your guitar rhythm. Press the stop button whenever you?re done, Cooledit will obviously not stop recording unless you press the stop button (unless you leave it on untill your harddisk is full or if you pull out the plug.. )
Attachments:
four.jpg
Step 3:

Now if you did everything okay (and pressed the stop button), your screen will perhaps look like this; the R button still selected, your new recorded guitar riff on track 1. For the next step, deselect the R button on track 1. And select the R button on track 2.
Attachments:
five.jpg
Step 4:

Now if you press the record button as discribed in step 2 again and your Cooledit is working correctly, it will play your recently recorded rhythm part from track 1 and record at the same time on track 2. This is what multitracking is all about, now you can record your lead over your own rhythm, again if you?re done, press the stop button.

If you did everything ok your screen will look a bit like this. Now press the play button and listen to your newly recorded guitar song..
Attachments:
six.jpg
Step 5:

If you want to do some editing on the wave files you?ve just recorded you can select one of your audiofiles on the left of the screen and press on your big friend again (or press F12) to edit that particular file. You can then do some cutting and Ah hell, I?ll tell ya how to do a fade out:

Go to the wavedit screen of a file. Then select the part of the soundwaves you wish to fade out, then go to Favorites and simply press fade out.
Attachments:
seven.jpg
Step 6:

Now save your song.

(You can choose to save the entire session to your hardrive if you like, this will seperately save every track to your hardrive as if they were master tapes so you can edit them later on to add stuff or change equalizing settings etc.)

The easiest way is to save to mp3 format, this is a small highly compressed file type that has an acceptable size for other people to download. Go to File > Save mixdown as..

Then choose mp3 from the dropdown menu. You can change the amount of compression by clicking on the options button.
Attachments:
nine.jpg
Last edited by turinbrakes at Jul 1, 2003,
Yay, we?re done.

Ok, hope I quickly made some sense for people here. Feel free to use this thread to ask questions or help eachother out regarding cooledit.

PS: im sorry i had to post this in several posts but geocities didnt let me link the pictures

dude. is this a sign from above? ive been wanting to record stuff and decided to download cool edit and i didnt know how to multitrack....you rule dude
Kein Engel kommt um euch zu rächen...

Quote by Spynal
I think I speak for the entire metal forum when I say it is an absolute HONOR to have you on these forums Mr. Vikernes.
Your thread owns me man... very helpful & informative... (of course I'm special and knew everything already, )

Leave well alone
Another Multritracking tip:

If you want to make your song's sound (imo) alot better you should also multitrack your rythms.

Im sure plenty of you know about all this, but for those who dont..

Using the cooledit metronome/a metronome you can record your rythms (or leads or anything for that matter) twice, the exact same way. Then get them both intime with eachother and pan one track left and one track right. This will make it sounds alot fuller, and, IMO, alot better...although our resident audio tech Jas would disagree
Quote by noxiosimitator
I play guitar long then half the people here .. and I suck double as much

EDIT: on the guitar
EDIT EDIT: in playing with my guitar
EDIT EDIT EDIT: I give up
Originally posted by AngelOfLust

If you want to make your song's sound (imo) alot better you should also multitrack your rythms.

Using the cooledit metronome/a metronome you can record your rythms (or leads or anything for that matter) twice, the exact same way. Then get them both intime with eachother and pan one track left and one track right. This will make it sounds alot fuller, and, IMO, alot better...although our resident audio tech Jas would disagree

Yup I agree, I do that too
PETER QUISTARD IS A WINNER

yea, i think we all owe him a huge thank you and he;s definitely going in our album's thank you notes...

does anybody know anything about him???
Originally posted by guitarkid27
RobbieMac2002 gives good advice.
Originally posted by RobbieMac2002

yea, i think we all owe him a huge thank you and he;s definitely going in our album's thank you notes...

i dont lol, i think he's the only regisered buyer of cooledit on this planet and 500k of other people use cooledit with his registration name and code
hehehehe, im now leaning away from cooledit and using cubase its better!!!!!!! and alot more fetures and if you know what your doing its alot easier :P maybe i'll post a cubase lesson in a month or so or something (along with programing synths cuz you can do that with cubase...)
Originally posted by AngelOfLust

reason i dont do it....

when you record something like that, its the identical signal. and for something to be truely in stero they cant be identical. cuz our brains inturpet it as being from the same source. and all it does is make a mono track panned centered....why waste the hard disk space doing something like that? if your gonna want a fuller stero immage, try doing 2 rythem guitars sepretly then pan them left and right, so that there are inperfections in the sound. that way you will be able to decen it better

my last song what i did was the chords (trem picked bm chords lol) were paned center, on the left is the higs of those chords tracked and on the right is the root of the chord on a sepret track. and it gave a very full sound.
Originally posted by uuuuhhhhhhhh
if your gonna want a fuller stero immage, try doing 2 rythem guitars sepretly then pan them left and right, so that there are inperfections in the sound. that way you will be able to decen it better

Thats what I meant/do you know... :P
Quote by noxiosimitator

naw your taking the same signal from the 1 guitar. so its identical signals, im talking about retracking each guitar. so that they are not identical

I use 2 guitars...
Quote by noxiosimitator

ahhh i was thinking you armed 2 tracks and recorded 1 audio signal. sorry

Nope...most of the time (now) I use seperate guitars on each side, depending on what Im looking for. But I always record each side seperate so they're differnt...
Quote by noxiosimitator

Originally posted by TheOffspring77
i can't find cooledit pro on kazaa, can someone send it to me?
my sn is Syko Mike o 77
and my e-mail is Americana1987@hotmail.com

thanks

Yea, and i need the 2.1 registration program... :-/

Anyway offspring, you can download 2.1 from their website itself, you just need the registration program.

Also, a comment from seeing your e-mail address...

Americana wasnt a bad CD, regardless of how many 'fans' of offspring diss it. Tracks 2/3/5 are certainly up there with my favorite songs of all time. But every offspring CD is better than conspiracy of one

( Ignition )
Originally posted by RobbieMac2002

and all along i though i was the only one that got that copy... if i ever make it, i'll probably have a song called 'peter quistgard'... just because that guy rocks. and i know nothing about him, but i'm assuming he's cool.
Originally posted by dmal
Sound is the only real thing that matters.
taking dmal out of context... but i like the quote...
download my songs...
Mines registered to some guy called Marco Hardmeier

Good thread Tim.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Originally posted by Rankles
Mines registered to some guy called Marco Hardmeier

Good thread Tim.

YOU ARE AN OUTSIDER! KILL THE OUTSIDER!!!

Marco....pfft.

Quote by noxiosimitator

Nice one Timmy boy...

Now people, stop spamming this thread and talking about registration programs.
An eye for an eye leaves everyone a pirate.
ok... i have a question. i recorded a guitar track, and it's crystal clear, and sounds great (just being humble ). i also recorded a vocal track. that sounds really, really bad. especially when i'm not singing. then, there's just a loud, dead-air kind of hissing sound. so, i muted that track during those parts (when i'm not singing), and did a fade in back to the vocals. but, because the quality of the vocal track is crap in general, i'm going from a beautiful, clean acoustic, to a beautiful, clean acoustic with vocals and a loud fuzz noise. any ideas how i could either clean up the vocals or just make the track flow well without it all sounding like crap?

and if that doesn't make sense, i'm sorry... but it's late.

ps... i've tried re-recording the vocals 6 times, and they're still fuzzy. if i sing semi-quietly, i get the hissing noise, if i sing loud, i get that static-distortion sound, and the hissing noise.
download my songs...
you could do a few things

1: Noise Gate
2: hiss reduction (sometimes works good, sometimes sucks)

im not sure how to use cool edits noise gate lol...its not easy to understand like cubase's

so go to you effects and i think in one of the sub folders its called noise. and it says hiss reduction. just set it to a defult and press go...if that doesnt work tell me, i'll figuire out the noise gate on cool edit then....
thanks. i'll try that as soon as i can (probably tomorrow). i've downloaded cubase now, so once i find a crack (didn't come with one) i'll try it out too.
download my songs...
If you're using a normal computer mic, you can try lowering the treble (hi's) in cooledit. The typical computer mic hiss comes (in my case) from the higher frequencies so if you lower them on the little equalizer it can do wonders.

I dont get why the noise reduction is so difficult.

You get a sample from pure noise sound, then you apply noise reduction to the areas of the song you want it removed.

They have a tutorial on their website...
What is the size of the adapter that you use to put your guitar cord into the line in jack?
Last edited by GeeTar+VidGames at Jul 10, 2003,
you'll need an adapter that has a mono female 1/4" on one end and a mono male 1/8" on the other.
i think we should gather a tutorial on basic recording with cool edit pro, not the basic how-to multitrack, but more about panning, using fx/filters/eq, etc, getting good quality, double tracking, etc etc.

who's down? I used to know some sources, but I had lost interest but now I feel like I'm gaining my interest back so if I find the sources I'll post em.
Page 1 of 3