hi, im thinking about buying a second guitar (have to throw away my no name, third hand first guitar)

what is the difference in sound and tone between the rg series and s series?

which is more suited for rock?

thanks
Ok.. well the S series is the best sounding ibanez, and it also comes in many awsome colors, but for rock, i would prefer the RG because it has more of a crunch to it. The S series is a great guitar if youre looking for tone, but if youre looking for a great distorted sound, i would go with the RG. Also, it matters what kind of amp youre playing out of. I have a marshall half stack and a Line 6 spider 2 212 watt, and im playing with an ibanez RG prestiege and a discontinued Jackson DK2 Dinky, and it all sounds great.
I think the Rgs are more suited for metal or hard rock music because, on mine, the bridge is free moving (i use it as my whammy bar) If detuned, the bridge drops to allow the strings to be loose, but not to make them break or fall off. As for the V seris, I've never played them so i can't help you there...
well what about the artist series? i ve been thinking about buying the arc 300 because i was told its a budget les paul(my dream guitar) in terms of the deep, rich tone

is this true?
Quote by Jdius Racius
I think the Rgs are more suited for metal or hard rock music because, on mine, the bridge is free moving (i use it as my whammy bar) If detuned, the bridge drops to allow the strings to be loose, but not to make them break or fall off. As for the V seris, I've never played them so i can't help you there...

Free moving? It IS a whammy bar dude.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
They are both metal machines, and both versatile (HSH combo).

Mahogany versus Basswood (or Mahogany in the high up RG models). Up to you what's better.

Trem wise, Rg3xx are ****, compared to S470 ZR trem. Edge Pro or ZR trem, up to you.

RG has 24 frets and thinner, S is a little bit thicker and only 22 frets.

Either way, they are both good model lines.
Quote by jimrootisgod
Ok.. well the S series is the best sounding ibanez

No, No it isnt thats all personal preferance.
It is a nice sounding guitar though

It depends what you're after, really thin mahogany body vs thin bordering on medium basswood body. 22 frets vs 24 frets etcetc. I'd say non prestige S's are nicer than non prestige rgs as the low end rgs have not so good tremolo systems. Prestige S's are still made in korea so i'd reckon they're would be a noticeable quality difference between that and the Made In Japan Rg prestiges. So rg would win it there.

As far as edge pro vs zr goes, there both different units and they both feel different, i myself do not like the edge pro as much as the old ibanez tremolo units such as the edge and lo pro however the edge pro is still a reasonably good tremolo system which will serve you well. The ZR is a new design and it will not feel like any double locking tremolo you've used when the zero point system is installed (it is when stock). Range is also apparently an issue on the s body's (less pull up) but i dont see that as much of an issue myself, unless you think breaking strings is fun..
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
A high end S series or RG will both do rock and metal well from what I hear (and I own an RG 350 which is working well: Im customising that bitch new pups now, new trem if it breaks down)
Gear
Gibson Les Paul std faded, Godin LG
Marshall jcm900
Keeley ds1, maxon od808, boston tu500, RMC Wizard
It's funny, because the S series used to be a favourite with the jazz/fusion set. The S's don't sound "better" than the RG's, different models of each will sound a bit different.

An S will be lighter, and they always seemed more refined to me - an RG's got a larger body so will be a tad heavier and feel more substantial. Stock pickups on both are nothing to write home about but they'll do the job and aren't as bad as the stocks on something like an Epiphone.

The S is in vogue at the moment, whilst the RG is more you're traditional shredder guitar - neither will let you down (Edge 3 bridge not withstanding), it just depends on which style you prefer.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by bean-o
Free moving? It IS a whammy bar dude.

sorry mate.

I meant to say "floating bridge."

Is that better for you?
Quote by pierce34celtic
It's too bad Ibanez doesn't make a 24 fret S. I'd be on that in a second. Or at least a mahogany RG with a ZR.

I saw a dude with a custom S 24 fret...
I really wanna have someone make me one..
whether it be ibanez, or a smalltime luthier..
the S is one of my favorite body styles, its nice and refined, and beautful to boot.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
I love RG's to death. They're my favourite guitars along with PRS Custom 24 and ESP Forest.
- Fender American Standard Ash Telecaster w/ DiMarzio Chopper T & Twang King
- Alhambra 5P
- Laney Lionheart L5T-112
- Line 6 POD XT
- Suhr Shiba Drive
- MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay
- Dunlop Cry Baby
I was in a similar pickle not too long ago, i've decided to go for the Ibanez S470, so many people were making it sound godly.

The trem is meant to be fantastic and it's meant to have a fast neck too. Ideal in my opinion. Especially for soloing.
"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours."
--Stephen Roberts
pretty much every s-serie guitar is a mahogany one. that's the biggest difference
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
Quote by pierce34celtic
It's too bad Ibanez doesn't make a 24 fret S. I'd be on that in a second. Or at least a mahogany RG with a ZR.

trust me..., it will never happen.

If you have 22 frets on a rg, then its not really called a rg anymore....

if you have 24 frets and basswood, or edge Pro, it wouldnt really make it a S series ....
(prolly back in the old days, but they were called Sabers right? Or does the Initial S mean still Saber. Well i dunno) :P
[img]http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9672/stevevaisigver24vf.jpg[/img]
Just an influence.
Well, I had an S2170fb for a week. Amazing guitar. Beuitiful finish, the mohagany sounded phenominal, but it the end, the lack of the extra two frets got to me. I traded it in for an RG1570mrb, and couldn't be happier.
I'm back, you douchebags.
Quote by cheames
S series ibanez is the shizz. Mahogany > Basswood.

Very true. The S sounded so much bettter than my RG, but the body / 22 frets bothered me.
thing is...i only go past 22nd fret once every 3 months...so it doesnt bother me in the slightest, though i'm not a huge fan of the looks either, looks a but feminine, bit too rounded for me. still, i wouldn't turn my nose up at one.
I barely go past 22 aswell, but since there are 24 frets, the cutaway is bigger, so I can reach the 22nd easier.
speaking of whammys, does anybody know if you can put a zr in an rg, im interested because i wanna get an rg320dxfm but it comes with an edge 3 *bad*
Quote by One Way Ticket
I barely go past 22 aswell, but since there are 24 frets, the cutaway is bigger, so I can reach the 22nd easier.

with the S, high access isnt difficult

the neck joint is curved so your hand fits around it

i love both the S and the RG, but recently ive been favouring the S series
might get one for my next guitar!
Top lel.
Quote by pot head pyro
speaking of whammys, does anybody know if you can put a zr in an rg, im interested because i wanna get an rg320dxfm but it comes with an edge 3 *bad*

You could have just made a new thread of making a epic bump from the past.

I don't think the ZR will fit at all since it uses ball bearings instead of pivot posts. You could just install an OFR instead though.
well ive seen a few newer RGs with ZRs i think.....

but its a totally different layout/setup so i dont know
Top lel.
im not really in floyd rose knowhow so if someone could explain what an OFR is that would be greatly appreciated

do you think i could get it re routed to fit? or would i end up with holes that the old system used to fill that the zr doesnt?

I think i might open a new thread about this because it would really kick ass seeing as pretty much all the edge trems suck
ya i love my s. its light and thin and the zr trem is really nice and its sound really awesome too.
For those who want an S with 24 frets, there's the Herman Ri signature.
Quote by SlinkyBlue
I remember when I was really young, I had a wet dream in which i was being dragged along an urban countryside by a pickup truck.

Don't ask me I have no idea how the hell it happened.

To Me:

Quote by Son.Of.TheViper

I love you
Quote by Psychedelico
For those who want an S with 24 frets, there's the Herman Ri signature.

theres also an SV (i think) with 24 frets......
but i think its hideous and doesnt have a locking trem

edit: there are also some very high end 24 fret S series guitars
Top lel.
I would seriously kill for a 24 jumbo-fretted S or SA. I love RGs, but the purple flamed SA is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen... ;_;
Quote by the memory
theres also an SV (i think) with 24 frets......
but i think its hideous and doesnt have a locking trem

edit: there are also some very high end 24 fret S series guitars

I wonder how well that synchroniZR does, but if it's anything like Vigier trems, I don't see much of a problem in it
i think ibanez start making 24 frets on S Prestige model this year
http://www.ibanez.com/eg/guitar.aspx?m=S5470F

I too is struggling on which model to get... RG or S they both looks and play so damn nice. but the s model's body feel so thin and not very abusable
Never argue with an idiot. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.