UniverseZero
Wikipedia is your friend
1,147 IQ
No, not what wood gives what tone....

What makes mahogany, maple, alder and ash great guitar woods?
What makes agathis and other woods crappy guitar woods?

Plywood is obviously crappy because of the lack of continuity of the grain and the tone loss given by the glue between each layer but what about the others?

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
AlGeeEater
Luthier
212 IQ
Nothing seperates them really, it's ALL opinion. Agathis isn't crappy though, it's just used on general crap guitars where the quality of the guitar as a whole is bad. It's actually a very nice tonewood.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Calum_Barrow
(the return)
1,255 IQ
Like Algee says, it's all down to preference of the player. Some people may even prefer plywood - you never know.
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
Tedward
AKA M80 the Wolf
2,023 IQ
it makes me feel fuzzy inside knowing my guitar is made of mahogany.
Toms' anominous
flanned
935 IQ
/\ dude i know what you mean thats why i love mahogany and an oak one wood (see what i did there?) be awsome is it anygood?
Quote by sg255
This fine fellow speaks the truth.

Quote by GD_GC
dude sonic music??? you're my hero!

Quote by tanglewoodguit
Love you

Quote by Jackolas
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,349 IQ
price and sex appeal.

If flamed mapel didn't look hot it would never be used on a guitar. People like a guitar that looks good and they will pay out the ass for it. Figured, curly, flamed, and quilted wood is all bad for tone but it is what what call "master grade" wood. Why? because it looks nice.

As far as tone... We are used to a certain sound and we try to and make what we are used to. Do you really thing that the "BEST" pickup was the first pickup ever made? I don't think so. but that is what we fell in love with so that is what we go after. For tonewood, we go after what looks nice and what we are used to hearing. We are used to hearing mahogany for metal, and alder for classic rock so thats what we think is best. It has nothing to do with the actual property of the tonewood. It's all about what we have been told, what we are used to, and what we think looks nice.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Oct 30, 2006,
fire within
86 IQ
i like the mahogany sound, dunno why, i just do
Quote by Zangetsu 101
Girl (Ned/chav) annoying me on the bus.

Me "Have you ever bled out your arse-hole?"

Her: Facial expression was priceless - "What??! Noo!"

Me: "Well if you want to keep it that way, **** off."

She then turned away and whimpered.
tubadude
I do something. . .
1,797 IQ
*raises hand*

if figured woods are bad tonewoods, why are stradivarious violins that are known for their tone have flamed maple back and necks?
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Ervinr82
I'm Kind of a Big Deal..
342 IQ
My danelectro reissuie is made just like it was back in the day, its hollowbody plywood, and im not going to lie it sound really good. some famous guitarist still use them today.
Custom Telecaster
Alvarez RD20SSB
Jasmine S-35
*Epiphone FT-130

"Yeah, I'm real deep when I'm not busy masturbating or setting off fireworks." - John Mayer
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,349 IQ
Quote by tubadude
*raises hand*

if figured woods are bad tonewoods, why are stradivarious violins that are known for their tone have flamed maple back and necks?

because strads used wood that had been soaking in solt water for 50+ years and stradivariouse was just that good. Even though we know exactly what he did to make his violins we still can't reproduce them because he was that 1 in a 1,000,000.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
peever
368 IQ
what makes wood "good" or gives it its tone is the vibrations in the wood pores
mahogany, alder, ash, and maple are all popular tone woods because the frequency that they vibrate sounds somewhat pleasing to the ear
forsaknazrael
..kupo?
3,141 IQ
Quote by Toms' anominous
/\ dude i know what you mean thats why i love mahogany and an oak one wood (see what i did there?) be awsome is it anygood?

Oak is not known to have good resonant properties, but hey Brian May's Red Special is partially made of oak. It also has a mahogany neck and mahogany veneer and such...is semi-hollow...but...let's not split hairs.
UniverseZero
Wikipedia is your friend
1,147 IQ
I ask it because of the fact that I live in Central America, and I would like to ask what kinds of woods i could use that grow in this area, because i am almost sure that I can't get mahogany or maple, or ash or any of those American woods..... some have said rosewood but..... what can i do?

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
dave293
‪‪‪
480 IQ
Being in central america you should be able to get hold of some mahogany or maybe cocobolo, Balsamo, at least some form of useable hardwood. Ask at any saw mills or lumber yards, if they don't have any they may know where to find some.
UniverseZero
Wikipedia is your friend
1,147 IQ
I am sure there is usable wood... the question is which?

Cocobolo ok...... I will ask (wich btw is just another kind of rosewood)
Mahogany ok.... I will ask
Balasamo wtf? never heard about that one....

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
Last edited by UniverseZero at Oct 31, 2006,
dave293
‪‪‪
480 IQ
Balsamo is a central american wood sometimes used as a brazilian rosewood substitute. There will be other woods you can use i was just listing central american woods used in guitarmaking of the top of my head.
UniverseZero
Wikipedia is your friend
1,147 IQ
hmmm... ok, wikipedia doesn't know anything about it but i will ask at the lumber yard :p

Quote by robbo_0013

Quote by spazzymagee417
MrDelirious
UG's Levelheaded Maniac
295 IQ
careful with the cocobolo, the dust from that can ruin your whole day.