Page 2 of 12
Quote by Cedence
For the hardcore section, you listed a lot of older hardcore bands. Nothing against that, but perhaps you should add some modern hardcore bands or make a new section for them. I'm talking about bands like Bane, Modern Life is War, Have Heart, American Nightmare, Guns Up!, the list goes on.

other than that, pretty good thread.

I agree, Boston has a thriving scene if you are looking for examples. As does Halifax/Canada
Signature.
If opivy21 can't do it, i'd be willing to do hardcore punk. I've been meaning to for a long while (since I became a mod) I have it about half done already. But if op want's to do it that's cool by me.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
If opivy21 can't do it, i'd be willing to do hardcore punk. I've been meaning to for a long while (since I became a mod) I have it about half done already. But if op want's to do it that's cool by me.

No, you can go ahead. I'm sure you know more about it, and since you already started something, then you should finish it up.
In the early 1980's, several American bands wanted to do something new with Hardcore Punk. They were influenced by the guitar heavy movement that had started and the DIY ethics of Hardcore, but had sought something else. These bands would use something different than the typical 3-chord progression of the then Hardcore Punk scene and the vocals would be just as likely to be whispered as well delivering the lyrics with a scream. They also sought to create and release the tension instead of just going full-force into it.

Husker Du and Naked Raygun were among the first of these kinds of bands. These bands were to be later followed by bands such as the Effigies, Fugazi, Dag Nasty, Mission of Burma, the Nation of Ulysses, and Quicksand. These bands were also heavily-influenced by the post-punk era of bands such as Joy Division and Gang of Four among many others. These post-punk bands helped play a role in allowing this new kind of Hardcore Punk to grow.

These bands were dubbed Post-Hardcore because of their ties to the Hardcore Punk scene. This new genre allowed for greater experimentation with, what some would consider stale, Hardcore Punk scene. This new genre has close ties with Emo, but the difference is Emo has more of a chaotic sound, the vocals are more likely to be screamed and whispered as opposed to sung (although there a few emo bands that have some singing in it.)

Post-Hardcore is different from metalcore because metalcore should usually be 50% metal and 50% hardcore. Metalcore is metal infused with hardcore, or hardcore infused with metal (Terror is one such example of the latter.) Early Hatebreed was a perfect example of metalcore.

Some bands of today have used the moniker Post-Hardcore incorrectly, most notably Hawthorne Heights. Just because a band has some screaming in it, it doesn't make it hardcore. The fact that there are now pop songs with screaming is just following a trend.

The song structure of Post-Hardcore has always been heavy guitar driven music. The guitar lines usually have a jagged feeling to them. There isn't necessarily a verse-chorus-verse flow to it. The bass isn't always a follow along, mindless bass. The vocals are either sang, talked, or screamed. However, the vocal styling usually goes along with the tension of the song.

The bands that belong in this genre today are:
Trophy Scars
Robot Whales
Silent Drive
On the Might of Princes
Thursday
Thrice
Swing Kids
These Arms are Snakes
Planes Mistaken for Stars
Quantice Never Crashed
skycamefalling
Hot Water Music
Bear Vs Shark
Life of Agony
Embrace
Quicksand
In Pieces
Ink and Dagger
Hoover
Drive Like Jehu
Faraquet
At the Drive-In
Alexisonfire
Walking Concrete
Renee Heartfelt

I'll add more as I remember
Taking Back Sunday = Sensitive Hardcore
I don't really see why you put Metalcore and Deathcore together.

Emo-Violence
Chaotic, emotional screamo mixing elements of hardcore and traditional "emo". This music was made primarily throughout the late 80's and 90's. It's one of the few genres of 'core which expanded to countries further than the United States, Britain and Australia at the time. Some of the best emo-violence bands out there are: Raein/La Quiete (Italy), Envy (Japan) and Love Lost But Not Forgotten, pg.99, Saetia and Funeral Diner (USA).
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
You can't post wikipedia articles here and state them as fact. They are not. Wikipedia is not peer/scholarly reviewed and is therefore NOT a real encyclopedia or 100% correct. So those of you who think they will conduct "research" on wikipedia should look elsewhere to truly get the facts right.
Last edited by mh250nt at Nov 10, 2006,
Quote by martyr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:What_Wikipedia_is_not#Wikipedia_is_not_a_soapbox

I hope this thread doesn't turn into this.

edit: I'm almost done with mine!!

I don't know what you're talking about with the soapbox thing.
If you're implying I received all my info from Wiki, you're wrong, because I never look at Wiki for info on genres.

Quote by SilentSpectacle

Emo-Violence
Chaotic, emotional screamo mixing elements of hardcore and traditional "emo". This music was made primarily throughout the late 80's and 90's. It's one of the few genres of 'core which expanded to countries further than the United States, Britain and Australia at the time. Some of the best emo-violence bands out there are: Raein/La Quiete (Italy), Envy (Japan) and Love Lost But Not Forgotten, pg.99, Saetia and Funeral Diner (USA).

If you got this from Wiki, it's a good example as to why it's wrong.
If this is your's, well, it's still wrong.
Eny, Funeral Diner, and Saetia are definitely not emo violence.
I haven't listened to LLBNF in a while nor have I listened to La Quiete, but I tend to doubt they're emo violence as well.
Pg.99 is really just screamo.
In/Humanity coined the term as a joke.
The only band that should really be in this joke of a genre is them.
Quote by SilentSpectacle
Yeah, but if you read those Wiki's they are pretty good.

I was just trying to say that a few people here were posting links to wiki like if it was proven facts. It is a good site but you just have to understand that its not always correct.
Did anyone actually take the time to check out the link?

Damn.
Listen to my music here
Quote by SilentSpectacle

Because deathcore is the most recent spin off of metalcore.
sorry i dont mean to sound like an asshole or a genre freak... just pointing some stuff out.

Quote by xAestheticx
Hardcore
The Warriors

definetely a mosh band.

Quote by xAestheticx
Metalcore/Deathcore

Some Example Bands: Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying, Bullet for my Valentine, Parkway Drive, Botch, August Burns Red, Converge, Between the Buried and Me, Coalesce, Whitechapel, With Blood Comes Cleansing, Job For A Cowboy, Animosity, Through the Eyes of the Dead, Beneath the Massacre, Misericordiam.

most of these bands are just metal bands with breakdowns IMO and arent really true metalcore... see below.

Quote by xAestheticx
Tough Guy Hardcore

Some of the bands in this genre include: Hatebreed, Agnostic Front, Terror, Blood for Blood, Madball,

these are metalcore bands... just hardcore bands with metal influence aswell as a noticable tie to hardcore. i cant hear any resemblance to hardcore in the metalcore bands u posted above from what i have heard. i think people just percieve them as hardcore cos they might tour with hardcore bands or are considered part of the hardcore scene.

other metalcore bands include bands like integrity, buried alive etc.
Stop a minute, you're calling Blood For Blood and Madball metalcore bands? You're seriously off the mark there, both are 'tough guy'. I see no metal influence in Madball and a very, very limited amount in Blood For Blood.
All-O-Gistics:

Thou shalt always go for greatness
Thou shalt not commit adulthood (ALL)
Thou shalt not partake of decaf (ALL!)
Thou shalt not have no idea (ALL)
Thou shalt not allow anything to deter you in your quest for all (ALL!)
Be that as it may, I still don't see Tough Guy as a legit genre.
However, the first three bands that he listed are metalcore.
Quote by PiNk_ThE_pUnK
Stop a minute, you're calling Blood For Blood and Madball metalcore bands? You're seriously off the mark there, both are 'tough guy'. I see no metal influence in Madball and a very, very limited amount in Blood For Blood.

it was a general statement on that group of bands. most of them to me are metalcore bands. i dont listen to b4b n havnet heard much. yea there is metal influence in madball they may not be much but there still is... it would b wrong to say there is none at all.
nice post enjoyed reading it and ive been arguing with someone that mathcore isnt real but i guess it is real i always thought mathcore was just another way to say grindcore lol
it's cool to catergorize bands and all but it's funner to just listen to what you like with out caring what it is considered to be
How can I keep Stability
On such shaky ground?
Prayers that a smile will flag me down.
Quote by shai_savant
it's cool to catergorize bands and all but it's funner to just listen to what you like with out caring what it is considered to be

ftw.
Listen to my music here
Quote by hxc_triple_og
nice post enjoyed reading it and ive been arguing with someone that mathcore isnt real but i guess it is real i always thought mathcore was just another way to say grindcore lol

Mathcore isn't Grind they're barely alike other than the fact the un-trained ear finds it all to be noise. For one Mathcore is usually well thought out with very technical riffs where as Grindcore is basically an anti-song (just looks at You Suffer! by Napalm Death) which basically has little structure and some shouting. Then there's Noisecore which is just anti-music and just a load of chords, sometimes not even tuned, and a **** load of random shouting and growling.
i dont think remembering never belongs in tough guy at all, listen to the songs incisions and allisons song by them and you can tell.
Scream it at the masses.
Is my definition for post-hardcore accepted or not?
Beneath the Massacre is not Deathcore, they're Tech Death.
Quote by fronkpies
Just search "japanese chicks with big fat dicks" on google and you'll see.
Basically a mixture of metalcore and grind with odd time changes and jazz notations.
I have cancer, fight me.
YOU WON'T.
I'm not very big on hardcore, nor do I know very much about it, but what about Youth Crew bands like Chain of Strength and Youth of Today?
I would assume hardcore
Quote by xXPortSceneXx
could you explain to me real quick what Mathcore is?? thx

First page, don't worry on the text, check out the bands. SS put it nicely, but check out some samples though.
Quote by StuartR
Mathcore isn't Grind they're barely alike other than the fact the un-trained ear finds it all to be noise. For one Mathcore is usually well thought out with very technical riffs where as Grindcore is basically an anti-song (just looks at You Suffer! by Napalm Death) which basically has little structure and some shouting. Then there's Noisecore which is just anti-music and just a load of chords, sometimes not even tuned, and a **** load of random shouting and growling.

could u give me an example of a band that could be considered Noisecore?
daughters are not noise core,,, wolf eyes, hair police, daughters are to technical to be noise core ,,,, they play actual notes an you can tell that theres alot of structure behind their songs, listen to wolf eyes that noise
you win , im stupid
Their's a difference between noise and noise"core". That's a whole different branch of stuff though. I'm not gonna begin to bring that into the hardcore forum.
Noisecore is bands like early Anal Cunt (i.e. the 5643 Song EP which is 5643 songs in less than 15 minutes of just improv racket), Seven Minutes Of Nausea & World.
Wolf Eyes and Hair Police are just Noise. The last Wolf Eyes is pretty listenable to most people compared to most Noise. For some real Noise try Filthy Turd, Kylie Minoise or Masonna. Or check out mine, www.myspace.com/diabolicalnoise

But yeah, Daughters are not Noisecore.

edit: oops, looks like I just brought it in
Powerviolence: early hardcore meets early grindcore, super-fast parts mixed with sludgy parts, sometimes very chaotic. Shouted or screamed vocals and jerky tempo changes with songs seldom over a minute. Charles Bronson, Man Is The Bastard, Combat Wounded Veteran, Reversal of Man, Capitalist Casualties, Spazz

Feel free to adopt it. ^.^