Mario-Guitar
522 IQ
i think that speeks for itself.
92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this.
LuthierofTexas
Banned
2,974 IQ
Active pickups require batteries where as passive use the power from the amp to complete the circuit.
MilanV
kramer addict
192 IQ
active pickups will give you more gain as they have a "on board" pre-amp powered by the 9 V battery usualy.
I started a new wave in music - it's called n00bism...
Oh wait, Curt did it before me
=================
Kramer pacer
Screamin' deamon (neck)
Live-wire metal (bridge, 18v)
Finaly knobs that go to 11
=================
Ali_Boulala
113 IQ
it like
emg hz - passive
and
emg '81 - active
it's different from sound etc.
Hold my breath
as I wish for death
Oh please god wake me
mutated_riff
UG......ly
492 IQ
you guys have no clue do you?

passive pickups use the vibrations of a string in a magnetic field to create a current in a wire wrapped around the magnet. it more coils more output, different gauges of wire different resistance...etc. they can create enough of a signal for an amp to power a speaker.

active pickups use far less wraps of wire which causes more detailed "information" to be picked up (the reason for their sensetivity), unfortunately the signal is very small and hardly audible so a pre amp is used to amplify the sound so we can hear it.

thats the difference
Last edited by mutated_riff at Nov 3, 2006,
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Active pickups require batteries where as passive use the power from the amp to complete the circuit.

Nope, passive pickups generate their own electricity by the string passing over their magents, all generators (including the ones in power stations) work by a magnet spinning round (so that the magnetic field changes in any one given spot all the time) in a coil of copper wire, same principal with a pickup but the magnet stays still and the moving string changes the magnetic feild. That's a BASIC description of how it works.
I know it's already been said that pickups generate their own electricity but i just H8 people who talk as if they know everything when they actually don't know anything about it.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Nov 3, 2006,
TeodosiuS
10 IQ
Faraday's law of induction describes a basic law of electromagnetism, which is involved in the working of many devices such the pickups [electrical generators], transformers and more...

The induced electromotive force or EMF in any closed circuit is equal to the time rate of change of the magnetic flux through the circuit.

Every string E B G D A E has different frequency of trembling.
By the trembling strings - EMF is generated and induced in the pickup.
Last edited by TeodosiuS at Nov 11, 2008,
SomeoneYouKnew
UG God
2,503 IQ
ITT: too complicated, too stupid, or just plain wrong.

passive pickups have magnets. they magnetize the nickel in the strings.
the magnetic lines of force move through the windings of the coil(s) of the pickup inducing a current, as the string vibrates.
this signal is sent through a cable to your amplifier.
the guitar's controls and the input of the amplifier it's connected to, load the pickup.
variation of this load greatly affects the tone. (harmonic content)

active pickups are built like passive pickups. they also have a built-in preamplifier.
because of the preamp, active pickups have a much lower output impedance than passives.
this low impedance output makes the cable less susceptible to hum and noise.
actives can also use weaker magnets and fewer windings on the coil.
and the coils in the actives see a predictable load: the preamp.
this means the load and the coils can be optimized for best match.
variations in the load the preamp is connected to, has little effect on the tone.

Bottom Line:
Passive pickup = Coil + Magnet.
Active pickup = Coil + Magnet + Preamplifier (+Battery)
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Last edited by SomeoneYouKnew at Nov 11, 2008,
wolfman2020
11 IQ
I believe the question was asked "whats the difference between active and passive pickups" wasn't to get a lesson in science, It was asked because we want to know the difference in the sound. Which one has the best CRUNCH? Which one sounds like Ben Moodys guitar "Evenescence" in the song Going Under?? Thanks..
Last edited by wolfman2020 at Jul 25, 2012,
Kevin Saale
Talks to empty chairs
1,339 IQ
This thread is 4 years old dude, come on.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
timbit2006
DEATH THRASH!
3,299 IQ
There should be a warning programmed into UG when a thread is older than one year a big red "This thread is over one year old" should appear above the reply box.
DISPLACED
eddiehimself
Call me EH, eh?
1,540 IQ
Quote by wolfman2020
I believe the question was asked "whats the difference between active and passive pickups" wasn't to get a lesson in science, It was asked because we want to know the difference in the sound. Which one has the best CRUNCH? Which one sounds like Ben Moodys guitar "Evenescence" in the song Going Under?? Thanks..

No I think you will find the OP asked "what is the difference between active and passive pickups". He didn't specify whether that was to do with sound or construction. Whether you like it or not, guitar pickups don't just work by magic. Why the hell you decided to necrobump a 4 year old thread I have no idea. There is a thread dedicated to what pickups you should use for a particular sound, maybe you should consult that?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282071

Quote by eddiehimself
i just hate people who talk as if they know everything when they actually don't know anything about it.

So many things have changed in my life in the last 6 years, but this still remains the same
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Jul 26, 2012,
rocknroll93
Warning: Small Parts
501 IQ
Quote by mutated_riff
you guys have no clue do you?

passive pickups use the vibrations of a string in a magnetic field to create a current in a wire wrapped around the magnet. it more coils more output, different gauges of wire different resistance...etc. they can create enough of a signal for an amp to power a speaker.

active pickups use far less wraps of wire which causes more detailed "information" to be picked up (the reason for their sensetivity), unfortunately the signal is very small and hardly audible so a pre amp is used to amplify the sound so we can hear it.

thats the difference

+1
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.