Page 1 of 2
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ

this is a song that i wrote in about 2 days (only a couple of hours total) based on the chords of a nick drake song.
enjoy!

here is an mp3 version of the song , run through gp5's RSE, and then through DFX audio enhancement. its not entirely up-to-date with what ive changed, but i think ive really only changed the ending so the rest should be correct.

below is the updated gp5 and midi files.
Attachments:
song v4.2.zip
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Mar 11, 2007,
Snipy
Metalhead
392 IQ
Nice start I love it, keep up the good work.
Reminds me Western Films
ShadowintheSun
UG's Thrash Metal Fanatic
335 IQ
That is really good, mate. U need to finish it then post it!
ShadowintheSun
UG's Thrash Metal Fanatic
335 IQ
That is soooo good. It reminds me of the Zelda games i used to play yrs ago. Really nice and calming, good job, 9.5/10.

P.S i have midi on my songs now. Can u crit them?
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
^ LOZ OOT FTW!!!

anyway, yeah the triplets remind me of some part in the gerudo valley song. maybe i should have called the title "crazy flamenco video game coolness on acoustic"
varga88
Varga
50 IQ
haha yeah this is really really nice,!
I am Cool Thanks for listening.
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
1,301 IQ
The lead guitar + chord + arpeggio sounds very nice

The Bass could be improved a lot though

I didn't like the ending, it didn't really work very well

Crit me? (link in sig)
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
sarcasmo: first off thanks. i considered adding distortion but couldn't decide where so i left it out.

giant raven: I did change the ending because i agree it didn't work at all... i think its sounds good now though. and yes the bass is really lame. ill try to work on that over thanksgiving break maybe. thank you as well.
Nunwhxre 666
You have ****ed up now!
1,430 IQ
Well, I'm not big on acoustic songs. But, this is REALLY good. One of the better peices on here. Good to see not everyone on here sucks and writing music. Lol. I really liked the leads. And I could definitely see this in a Zelda game. Lol. The only thing, like stated before, is the bass is pretty weak. Other than that this is an amazing song. 9/10.

Crit mine? The folk song is complete. And there are 2 other songs in sig.
Quote by 1201ZJ
Well this calls for a beer, Uncle-Dad Cletus!

Quote by EchoxOath
HAAAAA! Jokes on you! I high fived you with the hand i fapped with!
RedDeath9
UG's Nu/Shyguy
3,129 IQ
I liked it a lot. It kind of reminds me of Zelda... I wouldn't really change anything, it was all really good. The only thing that I didn't think was the tapping part, but it was still good. 9.5/10.
Hawker45
377 IQ
Hey i really like this, way better than what i could ever do, keep it up.
Notorious Nessy
10 IQ
dude!!!!! that was utterly amazing!!!! the guitar solo thing was really skilled....you've practised well, id like to get a copy of your song, when are you getting it out? im a true guitar fan and you're great... keep it up!!!! (",)
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
ty to all of you.

notorious nessy: i don't know if ill be able to record this one... it really needs acoustic guitars and i don't have a way to record mine since it doesn't have an output thing.
but ty for the compiments all.
gregorisgod
UG Member
349 IQ
It's quite cool.

As has been said before, definately wouldn't sound out of place in a Zelda game (that could be taken either way, it's a compliment this time).

I like the use of a less common time signature, and the lead parts are fantastic with the Rhythm arpegios. The guitars compliment each other well.

EDIT: When the second lead guitar comes in, the sound is great, sounds very... complete. /Edit.

A bassist would kill you if you handed him that part though.

And the drums... well, drumming is shite on GP to be honest, but it works.

Overall, I like it. And you've already crit my first thing, watch out for some more though?
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
haha yeah ill def need to work on that. im no theory head though so i dont know how well it will work.
gregorisgod
UG Member
349 IQ
Quote by §tratôcaster
haha yeah ill def need to work on that. im no theory head though so i dont know how well it will work.

Join the club haha, I know scales, and keys etc from playing piano, but I find that knowing too much theory is limiting...

It's a lot easier to write bass lines with a bass obviously (I cheat and use my digitech whammy).
Gibson06
bh4j
1,495 IQ
It's really good, almost like a classical piece. Is is supposed to be an instrumental? Anyways, its rally nice (other that those cymbals in the background... so annoying...) The solo is increadible. Very well done. 9/10 Thanks for the crit btw
AMERICA
AMERICA
AMERICA
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
well i think the ride-cymbal background thing will stay in...

anyway i turned the volume down on the arpeggio guitar during the tapping part because some notes sounded a little sketchy
and i started on the bass dilemma but i didn't post it yet.
[/post]

edit: [/page] as well
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Dec 3, 2006,
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?
1,468 IQ
this is sick dude

just one thing though, is this going to just be instruments or is it going to have vocals?

cuz i think u should make a different riff for the vox to be over (if there are any), that would be awesome
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
i think it'll be instrumental. thanks anyways though!

edit: i fixed the ending cymbals on the drum thing... not a big update but there were incomplete measures so i fixed it.
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Nov 24, 2006,
dontbestupid47
geRitseder esUr
351 IQ
you obviously know youor music cuz that song is amazing, the arpeggio guitar was well thought out

one thing i would do is bring some life into the bass, especially inbetween lead guitar 1's solos and the tapping part

but thats just me

good job and keep doin whatever your doin
Police were called to a daycare where a three-year-old was resisting a rest.
siddyjain
Mr Coffee
629 IQ
That was amazing

I can never play like that
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
well yeah i suck at life so i didn't get around to the bass problem....

thank you, minister of technology, for your royal, flawless, immaculate comment.[/suckup]

but good news! i might be able to record this after Christmas because i might get an acoustic pickup??? plz santa!!1eleven1!!!
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Jan 5, 2007,
siddyjain
Mr Coffee
629 IQ
Are you a member of this UG republic thingo?

§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
^haha i think i missed that day/week that it was made!? so no lol.

anyways...
i got rid of those text things above the tab in gp.

and i was thinking about adding another guitar so i can get a nice natural harmonic intro... i'd have to change the tuning alot though...we'll see what happens.
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Dec 3, 2006,
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
^that link doesn't appear to be working.

[[update]]

i added that intro...its just some random harmonics... make sure to tell me what you think on that because im not sure about it.

[[/update]]
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Dec 10, 2006,
siddyjain
Mr Coffee
629 IQ
I deleted the thread - i'm gonna make some changes...will post it later in about a week coz I got my exams

mattvl
297 IQ
Very cool, I'm not wishing I had guitar pro...I'll have to look into it. I really didn't see that piano coming at all, it adds amazing depth to the song. Whenever I can get my hands on guitar pro I'll have to give this one a few rounds on the guitar(s)...maybe even bringing out the keyboard (assuming that's what I'm hearing in the midi).
skaguitarist182
Rx Bandits = effin best
183 IQ
Thanks for the crit man, and that song was beautiful! I have been meaning to write something of this style for a while, but never really got around to it, what type of scale do you use to achieve that flamenco style, the harmonic intro was a good add, it all came together beautiful, I give it a 9/10 good job!
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
mattvl: indeed that is a piano/keyboard doing the chord things at every measure. yeah i believe guitar pro has a much better layout than powertab and i would recommend getting a copy of it...legal or not.

skaguitarist: i have no idea what scale it is...i just kind of put the chords in guitar pro then played something along with it, then wrote it in if it sounded good. =]
yeah i think i like those harmonics as well.

thanks to both of you.
axe_grinder247
UG's Shredder in Training
198 IQ
it's pretty good, but i think that it gets a little too predictable because you end many of your phrases on a C# - but other than that it's good...it has potential to broaden into even something more...reminds me a bit of an epic dream theater intro

good job
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
PunkFan99
the king of all rock
21 IQ
that rocked. not my style but it was still really good. keep it up.
jimmmypage#1
death by stoning
241 IQ
Ya, that wassssssssss pretty fine.
i had to listen to the midi file and yes first thing that came to mind was
zelda or something of that sort.
but when you look past that,
that song would sound awesome.
i really like the lead part.
9/10

you crit me i crit you
WOO!
Oh dear god, I dont feel alive.
I have a new blog, of the interesting type.

In so far i have seen,

1. The Darkness
2. Wolfmother
3. The Grates
4. Faker
5. Kings of Leon
6. Coheed and Cambria
7. Architecture in Helsinki

and counting.
§tratocaster
UG's #1 Procrastinater
1,738 IQ
thanks to both of you.

[update]

i made measure 21 a little more complex...(32nd notes ftw!!)

and measure 24 a little simpler...
it doesn't sound any simpler but it's easier to play

also the 2 measures before the tapping solo thing i changed... i think i like the way it turned out.
[/update]

btw does anyone have any ideas on how i could
resolve those phrases without using C#?
Last edited by §tratôcaster at Dec 22, 2006,
the_captn_flint
27 IQ
dude!
this is freakin' sexy! It does remind me of zelda, and some of that new age stuff you get in europe. Does anyone here know what I'm talking about???
-Ben