Page 5 of 2236
Is it true that gay people hate Bi-sexuals? Or is that just a myth?
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
Quote by d4v1d5hu13r
I don't think gays should get married, it isn't moral.

Discrimination on anything is retarded so I feel discrimination against gays is just as bad as against anything else.

Lawlz at hypocrisy.
Quote by CORT noob
Is it true that gay people hate Bi-sexuals? Or is that just a myth?

I've met gay people who don't believe bisexuality to be real, but more of a perpetual state of orientation confusion, and even sympton of Borderline Disorder (in short- do anything for attention).
Am I gay? Nay. Am I for gay marriage? Yes I am, I know a few gay people and they're nice enough.
it's cool to be bi. well, it was last week.

oh..
1. no, I'm not gay.
2. all for gay marriage. it's a legal binding, not a religious doctrine.
3. discriminating people for a life choice that doesn't harm others is wrong.
Last edited by MakinLattes at May 3, 2007,
Quote by skeptopotamus
I've seen several examples in this thread where UGers do not think gay marriage should be allowed due to moral conflict, and also where the same UGer believes that discrimination against gays is completely wrong.

Is it just me, or is believing that gay marriage should never be legal a form of discrimination? I'm of the school of thought where discrimination equals prejudice (ordisagreement) plus power. If these same people had the power to stop gay marriage, would they? I don't see a reason why they wouldn't. They outright said it conflicts with their morals. Yet, at the same time, these UGers claimed to believe that discrimination was wrong. Don't get me wrong, everyone is a hypocrite about something, but I think this is a good example of the kind of hypocrisy that is crippling social progress and acceptance around the world.

It's not really a form of discrimination. I dont think straight people should marry the same sex either, so I'm not really discriminating towards a specific group of people.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

It is discrimination because you're oppressing a certain group of people based on their sexual orientation. It's like forbidding blacks from marrying.
Quote by CORT noob
It's not really a form of discrimination. I dont think straight people should marry the same sex either, so I'm not really discriminating towards a specific group of people.

can atheists marry?
Not letting women vote- Discrimination

Not allowing interracial marriage- discrimination

Not allowing same sex/gay marriage- discrimination.

What justification can be offered for not allowing gay marriage that has constitutional support? Public vote? History can tell us how public voting is the least reliable way to run a country.

Votes have elected people like Hitler to power, and now, one state at a time, votes are turning against a group of living, breathing people, once again.
Apparently, all men were NOT created as equals.

It's quite odd that the documents used to found the US contain words that are quite different from the actions used at the time of their conception, and we still have a long way to go.
Quote by skeptopotamus
Not letting women vote- Discrimination

Not allowing interracial marriage- discrimination

Not allowing same sex/gay marriage- discrimination.

What justification can be offered for not allowing gay marriage that has constitutional support? Public vote? History can tell us how public voting is the least reliable way to run a country.

Votes have elected people like Hitler to power, and now, one state at a time, votes are turning against a group of living, breathing people, once again.
Apparently, all men were NOT created as equals.

It's quite odd that the documents used to found the US contain words that are quite different from the actions used at the time of their conception, and we still have a long way to go.

Majority rule is way this country is meant to be run, If you don't like it go move to a dictatorship country. I'm just saying religous Gay marriage I am against. I do not support political Gay marriage, but I don't have a right to stop it. If you want the government to force me otherwise, don't make me go separation of church in its true meaning on your ass.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by MakinLattes
can atheists marry?

Yeah, why?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Quote by JuicyMango
Marriage is not a religious institution.

It can be. In fact, since if it is held in church, if the government is involved at all does this violate the seperation of church and state?
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at May 3, 2007,
For the questions,
- I'm straight. In all honesty, I don't think I could deal with being any other orientation. All while I was growing up (And I'm sixteen now) my parents would constantly tell me being gay is alright, which I would of figured out for myself, but they always told me and when I hit my teens my father was constantly accusing me of being gay, since I didn't get many boyfriends. These two facts have both made me feel as if there would be something wrong if I was gay, the way my mind worked was if they have to keep telling me it was fine in the first place, then there was something wrong with it. I have the utmost respect for people who can acknowledge their sexuality and be open about it.
-As for gay marriage, I'm all for it. The people involved are the ones who know if they want to spend the rest of their lives together, nobody else. Why should they be denied the right to be married? Atheists can marry in a church, so I can't see why homosexuals can't.
-Discrimination of anything pisses me off, including homosexuality. You get people who will happily yell insults to any gay person, just because they can. I've a few friends who are gay and occasionally will get the odd homophobic remark yelled at them, and it makes me so ****ing angry. but then, they can usually deal with it fine, so I won't jump in to take part in a battle that isn't my own. But if I hear somebody making homophobic remarks for no reason, I'll tell them to shut the hell up.

Now some more of my rambling. Me and a female friend (both comfortable with our sexuality, and in truth not worried about people thinking we're gay) flirt with each other a lot, because it's simply the kind of humour we enjoy. resulting from that, a lot of people think we're lesbians, and unfortunately my school is full of sexist, racist homophobes. So we get called stuff like 'disgusting' because people think we're gay. I can see a little of how damn awful it's gotta be if you're gay and prejudiced against, though being straight I don't think I can fully appreciate it. There's also the matter of homophobic teachers, the RE teacher is very homophobic and refuses to discuss the matter of gay marriage in class, instead just saying 'I think it's wrong' and then moving to another topic.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.
No, because the government is not endorsing one religion by saying that ONLY Christians can marry, nor does it require it to be in a church.

EDIT: To Cort.
Except not. The US is a republic, not a democracy. We have some voting power, but we still elect people to do our thinking for us. And republic, democracy, and dictatorship are not the only choices.

If I might ask, what is the 'true sense' of separation of church and state, and how does legal same-sex union contradict it?
Quote by skeptopotamus
Except not. The US is a republic, not a democracy. We have some voting power, but we still elect people to do our thinking for us. And republic, democracy, and dictatorship are not the only choices.

If I might ask, what is the 'true sense' of separation of church and state, and how does legal same-sex union contradict it?

I think the true reason the seperation of church and state was to keep the government out of church. I think the government should get rid of all marriage, and acknowledge no marriages, because it is personal. Government has no more place in marriage than it does in religion. If Gays want to commit themselves to each other for eternity, let them. I just don't think it belongs in Church, but if a Church decides to let it happen, it's all right by me.
Oh and the reason it is okay for aethiests to get married in a Church is because I don't think hetero marriages are wrong. Gay people have as much of a right to come into a church as I do, I just don't think that a Church should condone marrying them.

noobEDIT: It is a republomacracy. It is both and that is undeniable.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

Last edited by CORT noob at May 3, 2007,
Quote by CORT noob
I think the true reason the seperation of church and state was to keep the government out of church. I think the government should get rid of all marriage, and acknowledge no marriages, because it is personal. Government has no more place in marriage than it does in religion. If Gays want to commit themselves to each other for eternity, let them. I just don't think it belongs in Church, but if a Church decides to let it happen, it's all right by me.
Oh and the reason it is okay for aethiests to get married in a Church is because I don't think hetero marriages are wrong. Gay people have as much of a right to come into a church as I do, I just don't think that a Church should condone it.

noobEDIT: It is a republomacracy. It is both and that is undeniable.

no, church and state should not mix. however, marriage is no longer a solely religious binding.

a marriage is a legal contract between two people. this gives the two people certain rights unavailable to boyfriends and girlfriends (in any combination), or to people in civil unions.

whether or not a certain church condones same-sex marriage is irrelevent. they cannot interfer in government issues and legal bindings.

it has absolutely nothing to do with religion. after all, people of all backgrounds, spiritual beliefs, and ethnicites marry every day. what does gender have anything to do with it?

the only people who have a problem with same-sex marriage are those who have personal biases and opinions which should not be forced onto other people's lifestyles and choices.

marriage is not a "sacred/holy union between a man and a woman" if people who are atheists, and thus not "sacred" or "holy," are allowed to be married. this totally contradicts the argument against same-sex marriage.

true, some people who are gay are very religious, but this too is irrelevent.

marriage has moved completely beyond a religious realm, and is, as I have said before, a legal binding.
To makinlattes

1) I think the marriage as a legal contract should be abolished, people can commit their lives to whoever they want.
2) See 1
3) Nothing, I just think it violates a Christian church, so I do not condone it. If a church wants to wed a gay couple I have no problem with it.
4) I have no right doing it, so I am not going to.
5) I am no more "sacred" or "holy" than homosexuals or aetheists. They have as much of a right to come to church as I do. I think aetheist marriages are fine, because it is not a sin. I think gay marriage in a church is wrong, because the church should not condone the acts of homosexuality. If they do, I am cool with it.
6) Yes it has moved beyond a Religous realm, but I think that Love is something spiritual, so the government should stay out of it.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

^ so when the Church says it is fine, you will agree with them? well, (not trying to be sarcastic), that is devotion, and I applaud you in your faith.

unfortunately, "marriage" is now a legal term with which we describe a commitment between two people. if people what to legally have rights beyond what they have as an unmarried couple, then..they get married. it's a sign of devotion as well as a contract. and any two people should be able to do this. personally, I think marriage is a dated term, which has religious roots, and I would much rather it be called something else...but it's not.
Quote by MakinLattes
^ so when the Church says it is fine, you will agree with them? well, (not trying to be sarcastic), that is devotion, and I applaud you in your faith.

No, actually, I wouldn't agree wiht them, but it is their choice. My only devotion spirituallly wise is to god. For example, I don't agree with the catholic church on a lot of issues, but I'm not stopping them. To me, they believe in Jesus and that is all that matters. Even if they don't its their right.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

1) No

2) There's nothing wrong with gay marriage, I support it. Marriage should be about love between two people who are willing to spend the rest of their lives together.

3) Discrimination in this case is just as bad as racism in the 60s. It's ridiculous, and people shouldn't be judged because of a lifestyle choice, rather their personality and merit.
Get off my lawn.
Quote by CORT noob
No, actually, I wouldn't agree wiht them, but it is their choice. My only devotion spirituallly wise is to god. For example, I don't agree with the catholic church on a lot of issues, but I'm not stopping them. To me, they believe in Jesus and that is all that matters. Even if they don't its their right.

...wait...what church do you belong to? I'd probably understand where you're coming from a bit better. you seem a bit..fickle.
1) No.
2) I'm all for it.
3) I do not know what 'discrimation' is, but discrimination of homosexuals is really stupid, I'm against discrimination in the first place. You should be judged on your personality and treatment of others, not on your sexual tendencies.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
1) Are you gay?

No, I just like pleasure I don't think I'd be comfortable in a relationship with a dude though.

2) Your stance on gay marriage?

Makes no difference to me. As an economic benefit, I'm all for it. But I don't see why marriage is held on such a high status in society in general. What's so special about having a ring? If you're with the person you love, nothing can take it away. You don't need a big ceremony for it.

3) How do you feel about discrimation of gays?

I don't like it. I admit I do call people faggot a lot, and i tend to say "Well that's gay" if something displeases me. But that's mainly due to being brought up where I was; I barely actually connect what I say with it's meaning. It's just a word I use when I get annoyed. I do refrain from it when I'm around gay dudes, but if they are in any way decent they don't tend to mind whatever.

Also, I do think people should take it more lightly (discrimination in general.) I don't mean like real, pure hatered, like the God Hates Fags bastards, but the racist/sexist/homophobic jokes and stuff. People should lighten up and be less sensetive to taboo areas like that IMO. It would improve us all a lot if we could be more tolerant.
Quote by fridge_raider
1) Are you gay?

No.

2) Your stance on gay marriage?

I have no problem with it. I have SOME issue with gay people having children, for the sake of the child. I'm sure that they can get just as much love and support from gay parents as straight, but the discrimination the child grows up with is what makes me undecided.
I'm not really sure why I'm bothering to reply to a first page post considering how long this thread is. My reply probably won't be read and others may have already responded to this but anyway...

By that logic black people shouldn't have children. Atheist people shouldn't have children. French Canadians living in English regions shouldn't have children. Hell, no one should have children because every single group, minority or majority, is discriminated against by someone.
Quote by MakinLattes
...wait...what church do you belong to? I'd probably understand where you're coming from a bit better. you seem a bit..fickle.

I come from a "Bible" church. All we do is sing for half an hour, then we study the bible for an hour, we usually go only like 5 verses at a time, and we break it down for all the context clues, and we apply it to how it was meant in their times, and then how it can be applied to our times. It is a good history lesson.
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123

1) Straight.

2) Gay marriage is whatever. It should be allowed like any other freedom we have. It's not like the people love each other less because they are gay. It's the exact same situation as a straight couple getting married except for the fact that the events in the bedrooms (or wherever ) are a little different. It is ridiculous for government to be so heavily based on Christianity (In North America not sure of anywhere else.) Although it has been like that for a long time. Just because Christianity was the first set of heavily followed rules in the modern(ish) world doesn't mean government has to lean so heavily on them, never mind making a law that affects (and effects) so many peoples lives a la no gay marriage.

3)I have a friend that openly says being gay is wrong and yet is willing to fight in the army for the freedoms the people in Canada have. He's a little backwards, homophobic and I want to hit him. It's ridiculous that we frown so heavily upon racism and antisemitism and yet making fun of gays (or Muslims actually) is totally fine. I have this other friend who, maybe jokingly, makes a lot of antisemitic jokes and the other friend (the one who hates gays) drops his jaw as if that was bad. (great group of friends I have eh?).
this is my honest truth i hate gays, dont care about gay marrige as it has nothing to do with me, they can have kids if they want but ill feel sorry for the kid.

i dont know if im homophobic but it just makes me feel akward when i say two gay guys, i get turned on about two hot lesbians though. i do hate gays, sorry lads PLUGINCHILD is not up for a screw.
Quote by JamieB
Because all TRUE GUITARISTS know what PLUGINCHILD looks like, DUUUUH!

I want it now, and i want you NOW! give me your heart and your soul!
1)Yes
2)I obviously am for it, but I cant seem to find out what the hell people think is so sanctified about it, what with the divorce rate these days.....
3)Being personally discriminated on a daily basis trust me on this...it sucks.

I agree with dorkus, to many of my friends base there entire life around the people that they perfer, and that is rediculous. I live my life one footstep at a time, and things go fine, dont complicate things! ****ing Regges Filman!
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
I'm Just a Box in a Cage
im straight

No problem with gay marriage but dont think they should be allowed to adopt kids. They will get ripped at school and that isn't fair.

There's descrimination against pretty much every type of person these days so it doesn't bother me any more than against any other group. Thats not saying i think its ok that it happens
You had your user title saying "Guitar?....more lik GAY-tar!" for a while and now you say all it is is sexuality, but you felt the need to tell everyone.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
i have no problems with gays.

i mean im not one to throw around a gay or aids joke once in a while, but i personally have nothing wrong with gays.

my favorite teacher was an open homosexual.
Member #10 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance

1) Half. I'm bi.
2) I think gay marriage should be allowed. If two people love each other, then they can get married, simple as.
3) It's the 21st Century, for fuck's sake. If people can't accept each other for who they are, then we're just going to go right back to the stone age. Discrimination sickens me, and I even got fired from work last week because they discriminated against me. Naturally, I'm taking them to court so the management who were cruel to me get put to justice.
1. Nope, not gay.
2. I believe there whole concept is screwed up since it is a religious based concept solidified by the government. So by definition gays can't get married so I think they should be allowed a union but no so much marrage.
3. I think it is bad. I have some gay friends that are more normal that most straight people I know so I think discrimination is wrong.
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
just so i can tell a story, im gonna. i was a jock all throughout my life. ive been playing hockey (all the hockey players i ever knew were all extremely closed minded) so being being an outsider, you were called gay. that put ideas into everyone's head that "gay = bad." senior year in high school, after the hockey season ended, i looked around and saw that ALL of my friends were auditioning for the high school musical. if i wanted to have anyone to hang out with for the last two months of school, i needed to be in that show. after everything, i was introduced to gay cultures by my director, the stage crew, the directors boyfriend (who tought me how to tapdance for that show) and from alot of the directors friend. of course, my current girlfriend was in the show with me, but i was introduced to the fabulous(heh) world of homosexuality. they asked me to walk in the gay pride parade to support an upcoming show of theirs, so we marched around boston, it little more than a fig leaf, in front of hundreds of thousands of gay people and i have to say, albeit it was freezing and raining, it was really really fun.

so now to the real point of it all, im not gay, but do have gay tendencies when im drunk.

i believe gay marriage is great and i also believe they should have kids. one of my best friends has two dads, and i have to say her real dad is the coolest man ive ever met, i sort of have a small crush on him actually. i also have two lesbian aunts myself, and i feel that their kids are amazing too. so, yay gay marriage, yay gays with children.

i had to fight alot in high school to defend myself from being called "gay." i have no sympathy for people who are homophobes and i hope that a giant gay army comes to their front door and beats the daylights out of every bigot, one by one.

/rant.
Quote by TonyRandall

you are definately a skilled writer.

myspace.

my band

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~

Member of the USA LAUGAM HIT SQUAD
Quote by Aidy Damage
2) I think gay marriage should be allowed. If two people love each other, then they can get married, simple as.
What if two people don't love each other but want to get married ?
I'm fine with gay people. I have nothing against them, some of the greatest people ever were gay.

The only thing I dont support is gay adoption. I just dont think that's the best way to raise a child.
Quote by neidnarb11890
the chinese take-out place my family always ordered from gave you chopsticks, so as a kid it was fun to try & eat with chopsticks
now i just use a fork, 'cuz nothing is fun anymore & i just want to shovel food into my mouth to fill the void