I have a knockoff of a Stratocaster, and get a buzz on my low E string when played open. It only buzzes usually when I try to strum(meaning a bit more force is hitting it, rather than individually picking it). I have the action as high as I can set it, while still keeping it intoned, and I beleive m truss rod is pretty close to being right on, if anythign its bowed a bit away from the strings, but was wondering if I put on a larger gauge string, if that would possibly reduce the buzzing, and what do larger gauges even do for the matter??
Yes..string size does matter for fret buzz

Larger strings causes more buzz

why?

Because..they are bigger..
yes it should as it should seat easier in the nut and probably cause less fret buzz and the low end of your fretboard which usually indicates that your nut is cut to low or the likes of that.
If you go for a bigger gauge you have to adjust your neck untill the buzz stops altogethererasd...good spelling.
I put a set of lower gauge strings on my Squier (From 10's to 9's) and I get a hell of a lot of fret buzz D:
Quote by human-blasphamy
Didnt MCR do that song The Gay Parade It went like this
when I was A young boy
My father took me to the bedroom
and told me not to tell
So if like azn_guitarist25 said, that the nut is cut too low, is there a way to fix this easily, or would I have to replace the nut (no clue how to do that )?? I have heard of people like shimming the nut, but not sure if that only applies to those locking string lock things, of if it can be done with my plastic nut as well. And Im still confused, so larger gauge would seat easier in the nut and cause less fret buzz, provided I readjusted the truss rod, or would smaller strings causs less buzz, as right now Im using D'addario .009-.0042.
It was only a temporary thing, but when I had a bit of lower fret buzz on the bottom string on my RR, I stuck a small piece of very thin card under the string at the nut. Solved my problem until I could get my truss rod adjusted.
By crook or fist I'll lather up your gracious smile.
And take my time...
ok wait up here.

thicker strings give u more headstock pull, cause more neck bend and may acually stop some types of buzz.
this depends on the current neck angle, the nut cuts (like said) and the type of guitar.
(trem or no trem.)

sometimes lighter gauge switch causes more buzz because the neck relaxes to almost a back bow, and the first few or last few frets get rubbed.

so what gauge? from and to.
what guitar? any buzz now? if so, string and fret where.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
just turn your guitar up and see if the string is hitting the first fret. I got bigger strings for my strat and like you got a buzz, and found out it was the low E hitting the 1st fret.
Gear:

Guitars:
Jackson King
Ibanez GRG170DX
Replica Stratocaster
Acoustic Crafter

Amp:
Practice Amp

Accesories:
POD X3
POD 2.0
Aria Wah Pedal
Basically, thicker strings vibrate more than thinner ones. By 'vibrate' I mean they're more 'open' to vibrate.

I need to get my terminology correct.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
yeah u better!

happy thanksgiving Chris.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
You know, by you saying that you probaly think it's a belated Thanksgiving for me. Fact is, I still haven't had my Thanksgiving meal. I'm going to cook everything up tomr. night and have MY Thanksgiving.

Thanks Happy Thanksgiving to you too Jenny!

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'