SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
The end of 2006 is near. So much has happened, so many memories have been made. Would it be entirely impossible to have a special end-of-the-year voting thingy, where members vote for a bunch of different crap? Kind of like the UG Awards thingy a while back, only strictly 2006? You know, funniest moment, most attractive user, blah blah blah. I think it could be all put together pretty quickly, just in time for 2007. Is this a terrible idea, and am I just throwing out random crap as soon as I think of it? Or am I on to something here?
Feedback appreciated, thrown vegetables expected.
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
I like the idea, it'd be cool. Vote me for '06 July'er!! Yipeee.
Pan-Tallica
Tengo flujo dulce, nena
1,231 IQ
The last UG awards were held in... June of this year. I figure the next awards will be in June of 07, so there's still a while to wait.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
yeah, the 06 awards already ahppened yo.
BIIGFTJ?
(Jack) why teh fuck do people still have rottweilers/pit bulls?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
(Jack) because they have a strange tendency to EAT YOUR CHILDREN
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
I think the 2006 awards should be in the begining of 2007, it only makes sense.

Make some categories and start taking nominations.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
1-800-DOCTORB

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

WANTED: Univox 8x10" Cabinet
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
its been like a time honored tradition from 02ish or 03ish time to have them mid year. just wait til the next one rolls around.
BIIGFTJ?
(Jack) why teh fuck do people still have rottweilers/pit bulls?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
(Jack) because they have a strange tendency to EAT YOUR CHILDREN
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
how can you have the 2006 awards in June of '06, there's still a whole half a year to go
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
1-800-DOCTORB

FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Because they were for the year June 05 - June 06
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
kirbyrocknroll
UG's Cannons King
2,342 IQ
Yeah, I think we should just wait. I don't see the whole mid-year awards thing. Wouldn't it be more practical to have them at the beginning of the new year?

Everyone's gonna vote Cas for saddest retirement...
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Okay, I suppose I wouldn't want to mess with a time-honored tradition. I can respect that.
But here's a sort of off-topic, sort of relevant idea that's similar to this:
fake_username had this topic in the UG Contribution thread, and it was the top 50 guitarists of all time. Of course, it was strictly his opinion, and therefore the idea got shot down. Then I had the idea that we should get all the users in on a vote on the greatest guitarists of all time. We could compile a huge list of all the best of the best, and then have members vote (somehow), and we could count it up and make it a thread or a column or something, calling it, like, "UG Choice Awards" or something. That way, along with greatest guitarists, we could do best bands of all time, best bands of the new millennium, etc. You know, fun stuff like that.
Again, it might be the incoherent ramblings of a hopelessly crazy man, but it's something to consider, don't you think?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by SethMegadefan
Okay, I suppose I wouldn't want to mess with a time-honored tradition. I can respect that.
But here's a sort of off-topic, sort of relevant idea that's similar to this:
fake_username had this topic in the UG Contribution thread, and it was the top 50 guitarists of all time. Of course, it was strictly his opinion, and therefore the idea got shot down. Then I had the idea that we should get all the users in on a vote on the greatest guitarists of all time. We could compile a huge list of all the best of the best, and then have members vote (somehow), and we could count it up and make it a thread or a column or something, calling it, like, "UG Choice Awards" or something. That way, along with greatest guitarists, we could do best bands of all time, best bands of the new millennium, etc. You know, fun stuff like that.
Again, it might be the incoherent ramblings of a hopelessly crazy man, but it's something to consider, don't you think?

To be honest, no, not really...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
To be honest, no, not really...

You saw fake_username's thread. Everyone in there (including you) is telling him that it's just his opinion and it doesn't really matter. Now, we could either just forget his thread (because I doubt it'll get accepted as an article) or we could get everyone on UG involved in voting for who the people think are the top 50 guitarists of all time. And a website is about the people, isn't it? Eh? Eh?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by SethMegadefan
You saw fake_username's thread. Everyone in there (including you) is telling him that it's just his opinion and it doesn't really matter. Now, we could either just forget his thread (because I doubt it'll get accepted as an article) or we could get everyone on UG involved in voting for who the people think are the top 50 guitarists of all time. And a website is about the people, isn't it? Eh? Eh?

Yeah, but you keep saying his was just opinion... What makes collective opinions any better?

Hey, I've got nothing to say around here. Just sharing my thoughts.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
Yeah, but you keep saying his was just opinion... What makes collective opinions any better?

What in the world are you talking about? That's how the People's Choice Awards are run! Hell, that's how I think all awards shows like that are run, am I right? Oscars, Emmys, MTV Music Awards, etc. It's how elections are run!!! How can you say collective opinions don't matter?
rockon1824
thebesthaircutsaretaken.
630 IQ
Quote by SethMegadefan

It's not a bad idea, just a pain in the ass to do. If you're willing to handle it I don't see a problem with it.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by rockon1824
It's not a bad idea, just a pain in the ass to do. If you're willing to handle it I don't see a problem with it.

Hey, I just thought of a pretty slick way to do that, too. We'd take a few days to (in a thread) brainstorm ideas for who should be put on the voting list (we'd have a couple hundred at least), and then in the actual voting thread, each member would post who they think the top 50 should be. Depending upon what place a guitarist gets in a list, that's how many points they'd receive. If they're number 1, they'd get 50 points, if they're #50, 1 point, #25, 25 points, #10, 40 points, etc. That'd go on for a couple weeks, then it would all get counted up.
Sort of a pain, but pretty smooth if you ask me. I wouldn't mind running that.
Would anyone be up for that idea?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by SethMegadefan
What in the world are you talking about? That's how the People's Choice Awards are run! Hell, that's how I think all awards shows like that are run, am I right? Oscars, Emmys, MTV Music Awards, etc. It's how elections are run!!! How can you say collective opinions don't matter?

Well, I wouldn't compare this to Oscars, Emmys, MTV awards, or elections... Unless there's some enormous prize for the winner

Heck, like I said, just saying what I think, and that is that it's bloody useless, just like all "best guitarists" lists, or best anything lists for that matter.

Click.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by Resiliance

Well, I wouldn't compare this to Oscars, Emmys, MTV awards, or elections... Unless there's some enormous prize for the winner

It shouldn't matter. In fact, it should be even less of a problem because there isn't a prize. I personally think the people should vote for who the people think are the best guitarists.
Heck, like I said, just saying what I think, and that is that it's bloody useless, just like all "best guitarists" lists, or best anything lists for that matter.

I'm not a huge fan of 'em either, but they're really popular, and I think it'd be fun to oversee a huge list like this. That's what I think.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Who cares what UG's favourite guitarist / band is? I'm 99.5% sure that I'll hate whoever wins, as will the vast portion of other members of the boards.
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
I'm pretty sure #1 would be John Frusciante or Dimebag Darrell because apparently that's what all of UG likes.

There's no need for UG's favorite guitarist.
Sent from my iPad.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Yeah, and even if someone wins... Who cares? It's not going to make me like them, the same as it's not going to change anyone elses opinion
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
^what if there were some sort of prize? I have no idea what though
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
1-800-DOCTORB

matter
UG UG
878 IQ
UG Users Awards idea is wicked, we love it

there is a chance you will see it in a consummated form in a month or so -- so please keep posting your ideas on the matter!
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
Quote by the Martian

there is a chance you will see it in a consummated form in a month or so -- so please keep posting your ideas on the matter!

There's a UG Awards thread around June, though.
Sent from my iPad.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Quote by paintITblack39
There's a UG Awards thread around June, though.

Yeah, but I think he means an official "Favourite Guitarist" "Best Album of '06" etc. kind of thing. As in maybe something on the front page, not solely associated with the forums
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
Quote by Yakult
Yeah, but I think he means an official "Favourite Guitarist" "Best Album of '06" etc. kind of thing. As in maybe something on the front page, not solely associated with the forums

Oh ...

I guess that can work. But then the users should have a vote.
Sent from my iPad.
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by paintITblack39
Oh ...

Well, there's already a thread I've set up where users are voting on their favorite guitarists. Link's in my sig, if you wanna check it out.
Angry_again_666
Metal Head
392 IQ
I think it's an awsome idea.
Gear:

Guitars:
Jackson King
Ibanez GRG170DX
Replica Stratocaster
Acoustic Crafter

Amp:
Practice Amp

Accesories:
POD X3
POD 2.0
Aria Wah Pedal
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Quote by paintITblack39
Oh ...

You can't mean all users?! Even women?! You're crazy!
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Quote by the Martian

I spy with my little eye, a front page "Vote for your favourite album of 2006", I'm assuming this is down to you? It's a good idea!

EDIT: Sorry for the double post
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
wahappen
UG NMA Member #1
411 IQ
Quote by the Martian

pff... n00b
Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
IndieMetalhead
Is never online
1,124 IQ
Quote by wahappen
pff... n00b

Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
^ Pfft... Spammers
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████