SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Here's the backstory:
A user called fake_username had a thread in UG Contribution regarding the 50 greatest guitarists of all time, only the whole list was based on his own personal opinions. So, this got me to thinking: what if everyone on UG could vote on who they thought were the 50 greatest guitarists?
If a mod or someone could tell me that this idea's solid, I'd gladly agree to do all the dirty work. Here's what I had planned:
The voting thread would consist of a hugeass list of possible candidates, and in a post, a member would list their top 50 favorites. It would be a big post, but it'd be like the UG awards kinda, and it'd be very important. Users won't have to pick from the big list; the big list is just a guideline to give users some ideas.
The voting thread will only be open a couple weeks or so, and then I'll count up all the votes. I figure the points will be based on what place each guitarist is in in a post. The guitarist in User1's #1 spot will receive 50 points, the #2 spot will get 49, #3 will get 48, and so on until #50 gets 1 point. I'll do this for every post, adding the points to each guitarist along the way. At the end, the top 50 guitarist with the most points can be easily determined!
So basically, I've got most of the startup work ready. I essentially need approval that this idea would be possible, and then the voting can begin!
Any feedback, as usual, is greatly appreciated.
mr_fruitbowl
1,846 IQ
Sounds pretty cool..but far too much effort...imo not worth it.
UGROQFAN
UGROQFAN
794 IQ
that was so much to read and I didn't really get it but the top 50 guitarist thing is a good idea
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination

LETS HEADBANG TO METAL!

If you give a mouse a cookie,satan will get angry
sam b
7,813 IQ
yeah sounds good (as long as i'm in the top 50 )
Mantiscabinet
UG's Jewish Bassist
411 IQ
maybe you could make it so people choose their top 15, and then you make the top 50 outta that list...probably a lot easier for you to tally and shit
Quote by Soma3009
An interesting Thread. IN BIZARRO WORLD! HAH.

Quote by FakePlsticTrees
and props, clapping and bows to you mantiscabinet.
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
or even make it so that people give 3 points to their fav, 2 to their second fav, and 1 to their third fav then add up all the points that various guitarists got.
BIIGFTJ?
(Jack) why teh fuck do people still have rottweilers/pit bulls?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
(Jack) because they have a strange tendency to EAT YOUR CHILDREN
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Quote by Mantiscabinet
maybe you could make it so people choose their top 15, and then you make the top 50 outta that list...probably a lot easier for you to tally and shit

This idea was great.
Quote by BumOffBarney
or even make it so that people give 3 points to their fav, 2 to their second fav, and 1 to their third fav then add up all the points that various guitarists got.

But this idea was even better. We'll try this one, then.
Just a quick question: which forum should I put this in? Just Bands & Artists?
SethMegadefan
UG's Star Wars Nerd
2,020 IQ
Does anyone know why my topic on this in Bands & Artists got closed? I mean, it was an approved idea in here, was it not?
I'd like an explanation, is all.
IndieMetalhead
Is never online
1,124 IQ
i didnt see an approval. see what colin has to say, or if any mod posted when closing the thread.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
So rather than having a list based on one person's opinion that only said person will agree with, we'll have one based on many people's opinions that no one will agree with?
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
i dont know why it was closed in B&A but i dont mind it being in the pit. ill wait for another mod to come in and post what they think before giving you a definite answer though.
BIIGFTJ?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
16kramer05
The...
242 IQ
I think it's brilliant. It's sure gotten me thinking...
I'd love to change the world, but I don't know what to do, so I'll leave it up to you....

Are you Superbad???
198x
Ò_ó - Angry Face
503 IQ
I'd say it's easier with BumOffBarney's idea. It'll be way easier just to do that method than everyone's top 50 (or 15) seeing as alot of people would post.

You could tally up the results in a spreadsheet and post the final 15.

Sounds like a good idea... now all I have to do is convince people to vote Billy Ray Cyrus hehehe
UG's only Manic Street Preachers Fan [So It Seems]
임정현 / FunTwo - Canon Rock
2006 sucked anyways!
Damn stoopid signature
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by SethMegadefan
Does anyone know why my topic on this in Bands & Artists got closed? I mean, it was an approved idea in here, was it not?
I'd like an explanation, is all.

Approved? It wasn't. I explained in the PM why it was closed, but it is again open.

Quote by IndieMetalhead
i didnt see an approval. see what colin has to say, or if any mod posted when closing the thread.

Colin?
Sorry, I'm useless with real names on this site, but who's Colin?
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Please don't, who really cares who some random on the internet you've never met before thinks is the best guitarist in the world. It will just end up with somebody like Hendrix, Clapton or Page being top of the list. It's like saying "The best race car driver in the world is Jeremy Clarkson" when it's cleary not the case that he's the best at anything, except maybe being an arse, and even then, he probably gets topped on that list by Jimmy Page. It's just bullshit, and it just leads to arguments. There's no best guitarist in the world.

/Thread.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
ufossuck
Delighfully twisted
1,186 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
Please don't, who really cares who some random on the internet you've never met before thinks is the best guitarist in the world. It will just end up with somebody like Hendrix, Clapton or Page being top of the list. It's like saying "The best race car driver in the world is Jeremy Clarkson" when it's cleary not the case that he's the best at anything, except maybe being an arse, and even then, he probably gets topped on that list by Jimmy Page. It's just bullshit, and it just leads to arguments. There's no best guitarist in the world.

/Thread.

Indeed you are correct. These lists are stupid and pointless. Has anyone ever seen a list of the best guitarists that didn't piss people off? It's the same every time, Hendrix takes the first position and all the Led Zeppelin fans get a bee in there ass about how Jimmy Page is the best. And then Lenny Breau, Randy Bachman, Dick Dale and others that were/are way better than Page won't be on there. And then there's alway Kurt Cobain and John Mayer and all those talentless hacks who make it on there.

See, already agruing.
"There's Jimmy Page, one of the biggest thieves of American black music to ever walk the Earth."
BumOffBarney
Sex Offender Applicant
584 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
Colin?
Sorry, I'm useless with real names on this site, but who's Colin?

moi.
BIIGFTJ?
(Lucy) why the fuck not?
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
^ Ah, sorry about that. Was just a bit confused as I'm the only one (of the normal mods) that can close threads in that section.

Jeremy Clarkson is a legend, leave him alone. He's always been 'Top Gear', without him that programme would've finished in the 90s.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
Its gonna lead to arguments. I suggest it'd be better if we did 'US's Top 50 Favorite Guitarists'. That'd make a little more sense.
Sent from my iPad.
tubab0y
old skool user.
1,326 IQ
Quote by paintITblack39
Its gonna lead to arguments. I suggest it'd be better if we did 'UG's Top 50 Favorite Guitarists'. That'd make a little more sense.

better?

good idea, though. don't call it the best, and no one can argue. we should look for diversity, add in john williams, wes montgomery, and such.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!