I have an Ovation CC057 Celebrity. Its a shallow-bowl accoustic electric and I love it. However, since the area inside the bowl isnt as large as a standard acoustic guitar, the sound doesnt have quite as much depth to it. It, quite frankly, sounds a little weak.

Ultimate Guitar review can be found here

Theres a built in pre-amp/tuner on the side (pictured below). Even though removing it creates another hole to the bowl, Ive just come to realize that exposing that hole makes the guitar sound quite deeper and more like a regular accoustic to make up for that lack of area to resonate. If you own an Ovation with a similar setup, you can test this by picking the E string over and over and while youre doing this press the button releasing the pre-amp.

Just a little FYI in case anyone is as slow as I am...
It sounds curious, let me try it out...

You seem to be right, but it's slightly noticeable.
Gear:

/Guitars
_Ovation CU147
_Yamaha SG1000

/Amp & Effects
_Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
_Jim Dunlop Original Crybaby
_Radial Tonebone Classic
_Robert Keeley Boss BD-2

/Recording Stuff
_Shure SM57
_Presonus Firebox
_AKG K240 Studio
it might be because the sound is then projected upwards... towards your ears insted of out

just a theory but keep it in mind
Anyway I think I will keep it in. I love having a tuner in the guitar!
Gear:

/Guitars
_Ovation CU147
_Yamaha SG1000

/Amp & Effects
_Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
_Radial Tonebone Classic
_Robert Keeley Boss BD-2

/Recording Stuff
_Shure SM57
_Presonus Firebox
_AKG K240 Studio
Quote by Necros87
it might be because the sound is then projected upwards... towards your ears insted of out

A very testable theory also. Andylow can cover the hole were the electronics were with some carton and gaffer tape and try again. I bet this will indeed prove you right.
Last edited by Marcel Veltman at Nov 29, 2006,
Quote by Necros87

yea, i thought about this as well. however, if you hold the bowl of the guitar at your chest and try strumming, once with the preamp in and once with it out, you can definately feel a difference.

the change is really only slight, but at the time i was kinda of in "whoa" mode i guess i made it seem like the change was more drastic than it actually is.
Quote by andylow
yea, i thought about this as well. however, if you hold the bowl of the guitar at your chest and try strumming, once with the preamp in and once with it out, you can definately feel a difference.

the change is really only slight, but at the time i was kinda of in "whoa" mode i guess i made it seem like the change was more drastic than it actually is.

Good find, but I guess it was to be expected.
Gear:

/Guitars
_Ovation CU147
_Yamaha SG1000

/Amp & Effects
_Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
_Radial Tonebone Classic
_Robert Keeley Boss BD-2

/Recording Stuff
_Shure SM57
_Presonus Firebox
_AKG K240 Studio
Science offers another method that is easy to follow; the blind test. Let someone, or preferably more people, judge the sound without them knowing whether the amp is in or out. To be really valid such a test should be double blind, which means that neither yourself should know the parameters, but I think in this case it'll be enough if you take care you don't give any hints.
Quote by Marcel Veltman
Science offers another method that is easy to follow; the blind test. Let someone, or preferably more people, judge the sound without them knowing whether the amp is in or out. To be really valid such a test should be double blind, which means that neither yourself should know the parameters, but I think in this case it'll be enough if you take care you don't give any hints.

The difference is so slight that not-guitarist people wouldn't notice it.
Gear:

/Guitars
_Ovation CU147
_Yamaha SG1000

/Amp & Effects
_Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
_Radial Tonebone Classic
_Robert Keeley Boss BD-2

/Recording Stuff
_Shure SM57
_Presonus Firebox