Page 1 of 3
taborama
111 IQ
http://www.ustr.gov/assets/Document_Library/Fact_Sheets/2006/asset_upload_file151_9980.pdf

Fighting Internet Piracy

The United States and Russia agreed on the objective of shutting down websites that permit illegal distribution of music and other copyright works. The agreement names the Russia-based website allofmp3.com as an example of such a website.

Russia will:
- take enforcement actions against the operation of Russia-based websites; and
- investigate and prosecute companies that illegally distribute copyright works on the Internet.

Russia will work to enact legislation by June 1, 2007, to stop collecting societies from acting without right holder consent,

Russia will also work to enact legislation implementing the 1996 World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) Internet treaties.

Get all the tabs while you can
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Interesting.

And there was me thinking UG could never die.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Andrew Zara
Banned
3,574 IQ
UG won't be closed down, we have an agreement where we can distribute music. That's why we are still around and all the other guitar sites went down.
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by Andrew Zara
UG won't be closed down, we have an agreement where we can distribute music. That's why we are still around and all the other guitar sites went down.

Did you read it? Russia is implementing new legislation. It doesn't matter about agreements or Licenses after that. It'll be a new law.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Andrew Zara
Banned
3,574 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
Did you read it? Russia is implementing new legislation. It doesn't matter about agreements or Licenses after that. It'll be a new law.

uh oh, UG's in deep s*** then. I hate Russia
ibanez-gnr14
Da Poor Man
143 IQ
Its not copyright if its people's own way of playing these songs. Plus UG doesn't have to completely shut down, just mabey take off the tabs. There would still be everything else.
Man...this guy doesn't even need to write a suicide note. He can just leave a link to this thread on his computer and everyone will understand.
Chimaira
Manbearpig!
210 IQ
Are tabs considered copyrighted work? It doesn't say anything about tabs specifically, just actual music.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
According to American government policy, Tabs, including peoples own interpretations of songs are considered as copywritable material and thus are not allowed for general release. It's all a bit ridiculous, but then I suppose try telling that to all the bands that think they could make more money selling tab books (which incidently are rarely actually like the song's they portray, in contrast to tabs which are often consistently correct).
Quote by CornLord

ibaRGnez321
Guitarded.
626 IQ
Wow, not cool.

Well, even if UG gets shutdown, which hopefully is unlikely, they should keep the forums up.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
thundrstruk891
Jungle Puma
1,040 IQ
Quote by Andrew Zara

if yall dont believe him you can check out
http://www.guitartabs.cc/

its the site i used until they closed down and i found UG
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by thundrstruk891
if yall dont believe him you can check out
http://www.guitartabs.cc/

its the site i used until they closed down and i found UG

Yeah the difference is, in Russia companies can apply for licences which allow them to distribute copywritable material via the web for a fee. This new legislation will no doubt get rid of these licences.

The site you used to visit obviously got shut down because it was situated in a country which didn't offer said licences, most likely America or the UK.
Quote by CornLord

CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,349 IQ
But doesn't UG actually pay for the right to have these tabs up? You would think that a licence that was paid for would still be OK. I dunno.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by CorduroyEW
But doesn't UG actually pay for the right to have these tabs up? You would think that a licence that was paid for would still be OK. I dunno.

Yeah currently that is the case, but I'm not sure whether or not the money actually goes to the artists or whether it just goes to the Russian government, I dunno, I'm not qualified to say. Either way, this new legislation with completely remove these licences.
Quote by CornLord

Forced In
69 IQ
I lost a part of my life when Taborama shut down, they'd better not come here. Or I'll have to start buying tab books, god forbid.
Andrew Zara
Banned
3,574 IQ
I still don't beleive UG will ever go down, besides, don't we have different bases in all of the world? Like Europe and Canada? So, we could move there.
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
Uhoh... This isn't good
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Strat_Monkey
UG's Moody Bastard
710 IQ
OK, at the risk of sounding like a hippy, Music Should Be Free! I can't believe anyone supports this legislation apart from big f*cking muisc execs with too much money already. I swear, I will never sign to a major label...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
198x
Ò_ó - Angry Face
503 IQ
Bit late for an April Fools isn't it? :P

Why not change this site to be an 'underground society. where only those who need to know, know.

The title will still be UG, but Underground-Guitar. It'll be like the A-Team, but GOOD!
UG's only Manic Street Preachers Fan [So It Seems]
임정현 / FunTwo - Canon Rock
2006 sucked anyways!
Damn stoopid signature
IndieMetalhead
Is never online
1,124 IQ
Seriously?

ergh, goddamnit
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
1- UG pays fees to continue to post tabs/files (whether or not this will change, I don't know)
2- The forums won't get shut down (hopefully)
3- there will always be tabs on the internet, no matter how hard they try to shut sites down.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
1-800-DOCTORB

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

WANTED: Univox 8x10" Cabinet
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
zappp has said UG will not shut down, no matter what.

I believe him.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
Yeah the difference is, in Russia companies can apply for licences which allow them to distribute copywritable material via the web for a fee. This new legislation will no doubt get rid of these licences.

UG pays.

The servers aren't in Russia or the US or the UK.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
wahappen
UG NMA Member #1
411 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
UG pays.

Quote by Bill43

I wouldn't know an Opeth song from an Egg McMuffin
ptannjr
43 IQ
I would wonder if there could be some form of payment for use of the tabs at the site. Then UG could pay the "Royalties" to distribute the tabs.
Rankles
2,481 IQ
Quote by Strat_Monkey
OK, at the risk of sounding like a hippy, Music Should Be Free! I can't believe anyone supports this legislation apart from big f*cking muisc execs with too much money already. I swear, I will never sign to a major label...

Why should music be free? Shouldn't musicians have a right to earn money form their music?
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Strat_Monkey
UG's Moody Bastard
710 IQ
^^Yeah, but I get pissed off when the sole aim of musicians is to make bags of cash. Any artist who's gonna realistically sell enough tab books to bring one out almost certainly makes a shedload of money as it is, as do their record company's executives.

I said music should be free, not that it was a remotely realistic idea in this world.

Quote by andrewbiles
UG pays.

Where are they then? Narnia?
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,349 IQ
^Come on, thats just silly. Everybody knows they are at Hogwarts. If something goes wrong with UG it's because Harry Potter and all his little buddies are dead.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
That_Pink_Queen
My Avatar Kills Fascists!
5,856 IQ
Aren't they in the Netherlands or something now?

I vote Iran or North Korea! As I think we all know from experience, the US doesn't have much sway in those parts.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
FrenchyFungus
"UG God"
3,872 IQ
Quote by Strat_Monkey
^^Yeah, but I get pissed off when the sole aim of musicians is to make bags of cash. Any artist who's gonna realistically sell enough tab books to bring one out almost certainly makes a shedload of money as it is, as do their record company's executives.

I said music should be free, not that it was a remotely realistic idea in this world.

Where are they then? Narnia?

<_<
>_>
Attachments:
zappp.JPG
aslan.JPG
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by FrenchyFungus at Nov 29, 2006,
Yakult
Never You Mind
1,175 IQ
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██
████████████████████
██████████████████████
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by ptannjr
I would wonder if there could be some form of payment for use of the tabs at the site. Then UG could pay the "Royalties" to distribute the tabs.

I think you'll have to expect that at some point in the future, but zappp really is trying to keep it free.

Quote by Strat_Monkey

Very rarely its the sole aim of a band to just go out and make money. The only band I've actually heard admit that that was their aim was KISS, and what they did (and created musically) was just disgusting.
Artists barely get any money from tab books, there are so many contributors to tab books that have to get paid so the slice of the pie is tiny, and the amount that actually sell is equally small. However, without these people that have to get paid (ie, the publishers) then it would mean a smaller paycheck for the artists in the end. Thats why the whole 'free music' idea just isn't fair. There are bands that are willing to go through life and not make much money, but at the end of the day, why most indie band (by that I mean unsigned/signed to tiny labels) split up is due to the lifestyle they're having to live to be dedicated to music. Would you not prefer that people were living comfortably if they're providing you, and thousands of others, with a bit of entertainment that you can enjoy for decades to come? Its very rare that you get bands actually earning £1million from a contract, and then that million has to go a long way. It has to last three to six people (generally) possibly two years and there are a lot of costs that they'll have to use that money towards as well (recording, mastering, equipment, living, etc), and at the end of the day, who knows whether they'll actually continue to earn money from music after that? If the album flops badly, then they will get dropped and by on minimum wage like everyone else.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
GiantRaven
UG Spammer
1,301 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
I think you'll have to expect that at some point in the future, but zappp really is trying to keep it free.

Would existing members have to pay?
AdamDK
Meh.
2,296 IQ
UG won't shut down, I guarentee you.

UG Pays royalties - With new legislation or not, paying royalties = LEGAL.

Read the text. It says this:

" The United States and Russia agreed on the objective of shutting down websites that permit illegal distribution of music and other copyright works. The agreement names the Russia-based website allofmp3.com as an example of such a website. "

Notice it says "Illegal distribution of music and other copyright works". That's ILLEGAL distribution. In any country, if you pay the royalties, it is legal. Simple as.
taborama
111 IQ
Quote by AdamDK
UG won't shut down, I guarentee you.

UG Pays royalties - With new legislation or not, paying royalties = LEGAL.

Read the text. It says this:

" The United States and Russia agreed on the objective of shutting down websites that permit illegal distribution of music and other copyright works. The agreement names the Russia-based website allofmp3.com as an example of such a website. "

Notice it says "Illegal distribution of music and other copyright works". That's ILLEGAL distribution. In any country, if you pay the royalties, it is legal. Simple as.

But these websites are not pay royalties to the copyright owners:

"Russia will work to enact legislation by June 1, 2007, to stop collecting societies from acting without right holder consent."

ROMS is one of these "collecting societies". The copyright holders never see a dime.
Gutch220
1,758 IQ
I would be willing to pay a small fee to download GuitarPro or Power Tabs as long as they were correct (from an established publisher like Hal Leonard, Cherry Lane, etc). Maybe 99 cents per song. I wouldn't want to pay for home made tabs though.

Maybe the servers are in Switzerland, that would be cool.
Trust me, I'm a doctor.
1-800-DOCTORB

You'll have to speak up, I'm wearing a towel.

WANTED: Univox 8x10" Cabinet