Page 1 of 3
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
In 20 years... what do you think would happen to shred? Steve Vai getting white hair to match his JEM? Paul Gilbert actually telling kids to get out of his yard? John Petrucci becoming jazz? (I'm so bored I could hump a couch.....)
duncang
Popular British sitcom
4,351 IQ
I think it would still be just as boring, bar a couple of artists.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
liledman_76
sitting behind a computer
136 IQ
i think it will comeback with a vengence and explode like its some old school thing to do...there will always be artists that replace the 'gurus'...although they might suck ass too...
:S
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by Cheesepuff
In 20 years... what do you think would happen to shred? Steve Vai getting white hair to match his JEM? Paul Gilbert actually telling kids to get out of his yard? John Petrucci becoming jazz? (I'm so bored I could hump a couch.....)

And what's wrong with Jazz?
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
Quote by Godly Moose
And what's wrong with Jazz?

Nothing, it's just that I predict that when he gets kinda bored of Dream Theater, he will want more complex music.
TooLateForRoses
WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD
540 IQ
Yngwie Malmsteen won't be butt ugly!

Ha! Like that'll ever happen!
Quote by killer1201
this past weekend, i ditched some girl i liked just to play guitar
she got back together with her ex , but i made some real improvements
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by Cheesepuff
Nothing, it's just that I predict that when he gets kinda bored of Dream Theater, he will want more complex music.

Ah, oh.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

PooKoo
UG Spammer
662 IQ
shred will have come and gone again in mainstream music, will be ever popular in some underground styles of music, and will still be looked down upon, whereas any violinist/saxophonist, or other musician of sorts, will be looked at as a virtuouso in the public eye for playing a million notes a second.

Also, G3 will probably include herman li at some point.
Night_Lights
I've been here too long
863 IQ
^nah there will probably be a metal-shred version of G3 with the likes of Trivium, dragonforce, and other so called 'shredders'. Ugh!

i think some shredders will infiltrate the mainstream somehow by being in bands that appeal to the mainstream but with obvious virtuosity thrown in. e.g The Mars Volta or something similar.
Youtube covers

[url="http://www.youtube.com/user/MrJumboHumbo[/URL"]
duncang
Popular British sitcom
4,351 IQ
Yoshi, I'M Member 9 of the Teabagger's Cult!

Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Allan Holdsworth would sell more records than Elvis Presley
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
G3 with Herman Li

Well, lets hope he gets a bit more variety in his sound by then.... for it is a scary thought.....

^nah there will probably be a metal-shred version of G3 with the likes of Trivium, dragonforce, and other so called 'shredders'. Ugh!

What's wrong with Trivium?
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Even less emotion.

Quote by Cheesepuff
What's wrong with Trivium?

... Shred? No?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
^Well of course they're not shred but they are a good metal band IMO.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Metal?
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
Metal?

Well scratch that, their songs are cool to me lets leave it at that
RandallFlagg
UG's Party Boy
120 IQ
Steve Vai will go into the mountains with his JEMs, UVs, and Carvins to live a life of musical solitude, and look much like an older version of himself in the For The Love Of God video.

Kirk Hammett will learn a different scale and techniques other than hammerons and pulloffs and become a shredder.

And SnakeDawg will be renowned
Quote by _MayDay_
Things I accomplished today:

1. Made up a thing on the piano.
2. Watched Man On Fire.
3. Resisted the temptation to have a wank.
4. Didn't get dressed.
5. Had a wank anyway.

garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
Quote by PooKoo
shred will have come and gone again in mainstream music, will be ever popular in some underground styles of music, and will still be looked down upon, whereas any violinist/saxophonist, or other musician of sorts, will be looked at as a virtuouso in the public eye for playing a million notes a second.

Also, G3 will probably include herman li at some point.

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
RandallFlagg
UG's Party Boy
120 IQ
Oh, and Buckethead will turn out to be Chris Farley.
Quote by _MayDay_
Things I accomplished today:

1. Made up a thing on the piano.
2. Watched Man On Fire.
3. Resisted the temptation to have a wank.
4. Didn't get dressed.
5. Had a wank anyway.

Joey_67
Guitar = funzor
160 IQ
I had a dream with themn relating ...i give that about a 70% chance
im better than normal....im abnormal!
Joey_67
Guitar = funzor
160 IQ
this is not really for shred but in 20 years guns and rose will coem out with chines demorcracy...mabe
im better than normal....im abnormal!
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by RandallFlagg
Oh, and Buckethead will turn out to be Chris Farley.

┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Rusty Cooley will get better.
Paul Gilber will get better.

But in return, old age will get its claws into McLaughlin and Holdsworth, and will kill them within our lifetimes.

Lets hope someone comes worthy to replace them.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
On my way.

Click.
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
I'd say Guthrie, Mattias, and Thal(And of course others, but they'll be the new Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc) are probably going to be leading this generation of shred for a while. Because they're still in their mid to late thirties, so they sill have lots of years left, unless something unfortunate happens. This is of course all theory.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

mr_clapton
Its JIMI!
517 IQ
^ I am with the moose man
Originally posted by dave_c2k2
Just shout really loud...

"Mother where is the carving knife i want to put my HAPPY face on!"
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
Quote by Godly Moose
I'd say Guthrie, Mattias, and Thal(And of course others, but they'll be the new Vai, Satch, Petrucci, Malmsteen, etc) are probably going to be leading this generation of shred for a while. Because they're still in their mid to late thirties, so they sill have lots of years left, unless something unfortunate happens. This is of course all theory.

Right, I call dibs on next Petrucci!
zebrahead234
352 IQ
Paul Gilbert will give Herman Li lessons on phrasing and note selection, while Sam Totman will give up the beer and look to John McLaughlin for inspiration, and then Dragonforce will reach their full potential.

I wish.
Quote by Righteous
Is that Chuck Norris in your avator? I never thought of him as a shredder really... a shredder of bodies maybe.

Member: "I died a little inside when Steve Irwin died...RIP" club. Put in your sig to join

Self Proclaimed Master of Typos
Erich yeung
UG's China Man
508 IQ
Well I honestly think the great shredders will die, only to be replaced by half assed semi mainstream ones, such as the before mentioned. But the souls of the dead shredders will be encapsulated (is it a word?) within a soul-sphere. They'll die off one by one via rank. Until the original circle of shredders is complete within the soul-sphere, then it return to the astral plane to remain there for 100 years before the soul of each original shredder will be reincarnated each on a different continent. To begin an underground shred revolution once again, so that people will realized shred within DF and Trivium is not really shred.

yea..........thats exactly how it would go down.........
My Youtube Vids

"Be formless... shapeless like water.

If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle.

Water can flow, and it can crash....Be water, my friend..." - Bruce Lee
Neon Knight
727 IQ
The people on this forum would have grown in age and skill, then WE will take command.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
kurosawa
Banned
208 IQ
shred will die due to the second golden age of nu-metal and be come back again with a young band doing trivium covers and trying to sing just like matt hefty but during the course of the 20 years the words will become blurred like chinese whispers and we'll enjoy the cover of the cover called master of muppets
Andrew Zara
Banned
3,555 IQ
Quote by kurosawa
shred will die due to the second golden age of nu-metal and be come back again with a young band doing trivium covers and trying to sing just like matt hefty but during the course of the 20 years the words will become blurred like chinese whispers and we'll enjoy the cover of the cover called master of muppets

I'm pretty sure Nu-Metal will not come back any time soon, it's on it's last leg right now.
Neon Knight
727 IQ
Quote by Andrew Zara
I'm pretty sure Nu-Metal will not come back any time soon, it's on it's last leg right now.

Hopefully it will never come back, it seems that every 10 or so years some new bastardized form of metal gains commercial sucess.

80's: Hair Metal
90's: Nu-Metal
2000's: Metalcore
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
Dean ML Tribute
Yngwie Sheep #1
355 IQ
Players who can shred w/ feeling and not just technique impress me and always will. I was fortunate to grow up listening to Yngwie and unfortunate to hear the many clones thereafter. Joe Stump has the potential and a handful of other guitarists do so also

I am 42 and have played since 1977 so I may look at things differently then the younger crowd. Just like metal, it will never go completely away. The real question is who will be next to take it to the next level. I cannot understand how people can look down on another player who is more technically proficient, usually that is because of jealousy or lack of skill.

Playing guitar is about enjoying yourself and having the right to express and share it. You don't have to like it but respect it for what it is

I listen to Baroque organ right through to the most brutal music and find good things in them all to learn from. A guitar has only so many possible notes, the truly creative can utilize those notes in ways most of us may never approach but still inside makes you shake...

I have seen and met Yngwie in person many times over the years and arrogant or not (he was actually a great person to talk with and was quite willing to discuss technique), there is very few who can match his prowess and none that I know of that capture his style and intensity fully. He had the same burning desire to play just like all of us so in that we can all relate

The best guitar player is an innovator, everyone else is just a copycat

Look at it that way and a greater appreciation of playing styles comes into focus
1980 Gibson Explorer e/2
1979 Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty
2006 USA Jackson Select RR1T
Freepower
v It's Back! :D
3,277 IQ
Quote by Dean ML Tribute
The best guitar player is an innovator, everyone else is just a copycat.

Look at it that way and a greater appreciation of playing styles comes into focus

Gotta disagree. Firstly with the statement, then with the logic.

Shurely you'd only end up with a greater appreciation with the originators of the playing styles? And perhaps less appreciation of the others?

Personally, i think yngwie's a better player than his clones, and thats why he's the best. But some other playing styles have players that far exceed the originator in every respect - i mean, Hammet or Cooley?