monster_of_rock
UG Newbie
167 IQ
what is the differance between an active bass and a passive bass?

is it true that passive basses don't slap?

how can i learn to slap in a short period (techniques)? PS: i don't play notes
henza_x
995 IQ
Quote by monster_of_rock

how can i learn to slap in a short period (techniques)? PS: i don't play notes

really? are you serious?

how do i learn how to be a marathon runner,
p.s. i dont like sweating
FunkMaster
UG's Hartke Promotor
280 IQ
I think he means he can't read music notation?

Active basses are said to be easier to use for slap, to get a better sound... But I've used both for it and it just depends on the tone you dial in.
Active basses have an active pe-amp in them so you can cut and boost your tone. They require a battery. Passive basses don't so you can only cut tones away.
Another big difference: passive basses hum, actives don't...
Quote by John Swift
My neighbour bought his son a Mark Hoppus bass for Christmas, the set-up on it was terrible (the neck had so much bow they should have supplid arrows with it).

Its nice to be important, but its important to be nice...
jazz_rock_feel
UG Resident
2,242 IQ
Overall actives are considered better I think. They are usually more expensive and/or are a specialty model (fender deluxe active P-bass etc.). They use a battery and have more.... control, I guess would be the word, you can really tweak it more... I don't know it's hard to explain Funk explained it better
John Swift
899 IQ
Go to a music store and ask for a passive and an active Fender and then try them you'll soon see the difference which is quite considerable, one important thing, you must try them through a full range setup to see the true benefits of active basses, by this I mean have a least a horn/tweeter in the cab.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
FbSa
Percus nam Vita
2,876 IQ
Actives are alot better with controlling the sound through the bass itself, while passives, not so much. Also actives will usually be alot louder when you play them, hence the Active/Passive inputs on most bass amps.
maggotblood16
124 IQ
passive r great if you can use it right. i haeva bass trainer and i can chose whether i want active/passive and i like passive. most pro bassist use passive it sounds fuller if u know what i mean.
ai4281
basswanker
1,799 IQ
I find that passives are more responsive to your playing where as actives shape the tone too much sometimes...
and batteries suck... when batteries start running out, EQs don't work, bass sounds like shit, sometimes it distorts... (pukes)... its ugly
John Swift
899 IQ
Quote by ai4281
I find that passives are more responsive to your playing where as actives shape the tone too much sometimes...
and batteries suck... when batteries start running out, EQs don't work, bass sounds like shit, sometimes it distorts... (pukes)... its ugly
Are you trying to be helpful or just chipping in?
Your first paragraph assumes active Basses have a brain, they don't!
Your second paragraph about batteries is well left alone and ignored.

Funkmaster summed things up very well, what I advise is people who don't really know read what he has written.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
crazypeanutman
wilson, king of prussia
640 IQ
i can switch my bass from active to passive, comes in handy if the battery goes.

not sure if its truely active, but it does give it a considerable boost and it sounds like other active basses.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
Applehead
Acta non verba
2,744 IQ
^ can you boost your bass and treble? if so it is active. my marcus miller has a switch too, very handy indeed and i have actually had to use it once too.
crazypeanutman
wilson, king of prussia
640 IQ
well, it has treble and bass knobs, but when i switch it on i get a better trble and bass range, so i guess that is active.
Quote by Mr. T
"Mr. T defines love as the reluctance to murder. If you're still alive, it's because Mr. T loves you."
chocolateman900
587 IQ
Quote by crazypeanutman
well, it has treble and bass knobs, but when i switch it on i get a better trble and bass range, so i guess that is active.

What bass do you play?
crazypeanutman
wilson, king of prussia
640 IQ
Hohner V bass. they pop up on ebay a lot.
Quote by Mr. T
hatebreed219
663 IQ
Not to hi-jack the thread, BUT, my bass is the Fender Deluxe Active P. It has passive pickups but active electronics, so should I plug into the active or passive input?

I feel kind of dumb asking this to be perfectly honest.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
crazypeanutman
wilson, king of prussia
640 IQ
active, it'll be fine. that means that the pre amp is still active, but the pick up set up is still wound like a passive. it has to do with how the poles of the magnets are wrapped.
Quote by Mr. T
TGM
Transistor Tubes
238 IQ
^ That depends, alot of active basses aren't hot enough to need to go into the active input. Unless you're getting distortion or excess noise from using that passive input, it's fine and using the active input will only lower your volume for no good reason.
"You can practice to attain knowledge, but you can't practice to attain wisdom." - Herbie Hancock
hatebreed219
663 IQ
I plugged into the active jack and it was a little, but not much louder, and the overall tone sounded hotter and meaner. I'll stick with that one from now on.
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Kobrakai
Ginger Fingers
353 IQ
I have both an active and a passive. I prefer the active bass as it has a far greater range of tones.
Take a look to the sky just before you die...it's the last time you will...