Anquil
Guitar Newbie
21 IQ
Ok, I'm 17 and would like to teach myself to play electric guitar, few questions - any answers are really appreciated.

Do you think it would be possible?
Is it electric guitar an OK one to start with?
Should I get a full sized or 3/4 guitar?

Thanks.
Kal Zakath
UG Newbie
288 IQ
start if you want, by a real cheap one just to see whether you are serious or not, if not no big loss. Get a full size one unless you're a midget.
Quote by Tom Martin

Jeez... if your house was on fire, what would you do? Phone the fire department, or go on UG and ask us what to do?
THE BULGE
576 IQ
they say you should learn on acoustic guitar but if your just wanting to learn and play a few tunes then i dont see y not start on an electric i say but a full size starter pack which will come with strings and amp aswell as the gitar or u could get an alright guitar second hand for the same price it really depends on what your looking for
K!!LsWiTcH
Not a fan of KSE
1,420 IQ
well...
squier and ibanez have starter packs that have an electric guitar, amp, and basically everything you need to get started with an electric guitar.
shakysam
UG's Automated Response
43 IQ
1. Yes it is very possible. A good friend of mine taught himself guitar whereas I've always had lessons. He's very dedicated, practices a lot and when it comes to speed he rips me to pieces.

2. Electric guitars are, in my opinion, easier to learn on than acoustics. Almost everybody I know learnt the majority of their skills on an electric. If you like a lot of acoustic music and don't really want to play anything that needs an electric tone (most modern rock music, for example) then it may be a better idea to start with acoustic, but otherwise stick with an electric.

3. As mentioned above, don't get a 3/4 size guitar unless you have a medical reason; they don't sound as good, your choice is very limited and you'll quickly want a full size one. Generally regarded as a solid starter guitar, I would recommend a Yamaha Pacifica 012.

Hope that helps.
Love is not a victory march.
Last edited by shakysam at Dec 3, 2006,
divid3d
we fall.
1,109 IQ
a lot of people teach themselves, you can do it.
if you want an electric, get one.
full size for sure.

try the guitar & bass basics forum and electric guitar forum for further advice.
from daylight...
...into darkness