Does anyone know if this amp would give decent tones at low/bedroom practice volumes? Want an amp that has the versatility for practice and gigging.
what would you recommend then, that could sound decent practicing and be loud enough to gig?
I was just going to ask this question!
Somebody told me that there's some device that you put between the amp and the speaker that lets you crank the amp to its maximum and then control the output volume from the device. Anybody heard of such a thing?
Gibson Les Paul Studio w/ EMG 81/85
Fender American Vintage Series '52 Telecaster
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Dunlop MXR Zakk Wylde Overdrive
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
When i tried the dsl401 at low volumes it sounded very average to me, just like any other practice amp to be honest. They do sound great at high volumes though.

Edit: Your talking about an attenuator which allows you to drive the amp harder so tone wise it sounds more like it does at high volumes, sometimes they alter your tone in a bad way as well though.
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Last edited by Pete Griffin at Dec 7, 2006,
Quote by Pleiadian
I was just going to ask this question!
Somebody told me that there's some device that you put between the amp and the speaker that lets you crank the amp to its maximum and then control the output volume from the device. Anybody heard of such a thing?

its called an attenuator

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
Any disatvantages in using it? Other than the fact that the tubes won't last as long, obviously...
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
meh, it will still sound "decent" at practice volumes, I've heard it played at that level. It has a master volume control. Of course, it will sound a lot better when you can really open it up, but all tube amps are like that if you want powertube overdrive.

An attenuator goes between the amp and the speakers, and converts part of the power that would be going to your speakers instead to heat. However, with an attenuator, you lose a lot of the air movement the speakers normally would push, so you don't get speaker breakup or a lot the texture the speakers add. It also attenuates some parts of the signal more, so it can affect the tone. However, the decent attenuators compensate for this. The hotplate has a bright and deep switch to compensate, and the Weber are also supposed to be good units. The way around this is to use a low attenuation, so you can still bring the volume down to reasonable levels, and get a lot of the powertube overdrive that is coveted by so many players.

BTW, if you feel the gain is lacking at lower vols, throw an OD in front. Gain low, level up, tone to taste.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 7, 2006,
I'm not sure how much gain the 401 has, but my 6505 has more than enough to give the nice saturated tone without having to turn up the post. Going through an attenuator also won't give the type of response that you'd get from higher volumes. Your ears/brain interpret different frequencies differently at different volumes.

You'll still get an OK sound at low volumes, it just won't have the thump or some of the other magical things that happens to tubes when they are pushed. There's no substitute for raw volume
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
Also, the attentuators are friggin' expensive!
Anybody manage to build one themselves?
Marshall JCM2000 DSL401
Roland MicroCube
Dunlop ZW-45 Wah
Dunlop Rotovibe
Dunlop MXR EVH Phase 90
Boss CE-5
iSP Decimator
Quote by DarthV
I'm not sure how much gain the 401 has, but my 6505 has more than enough to give the nice saturated tone without having to turn up the post. Going through an attenuator also won't give the type of response that you'd get from higher volumes. Your ears/brain interpret different frequencies differently at different volumes.

You'll still get an OK sound at low volumes, it just won't have the thump or some of the other magical things that happens to tubes when they are pushed. There's no substitute for raw volume

on the gain!

I use an attenuator in "bypass" so the true amp's sound is maintained. Its called a weber mini mass. It costed about $120 or something. Check out weber's website.

If you do not turn up the post gain, then you are not using up the power tubes. The real sound of a tube amp comes from both preamp AND power amp. In the bypass mode, I can listen to the amp by turning the post gain up to almost 2. I have not gone deaf because the attenuator has a line out in which I stick a high impedance headphone ($20 worth lol).

yes, the amp sounds awesome thru my cab, but if I play it at 2 on the post gain, I'll have to kiss my kid's ears and mine goodbye.

--cheers

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

What speakers are you using in your 1936 cab? I'm thinking about swapping out the Sheffields in my combo for a couple g12t's or a g12t + v30.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
i use mine to practice with i keep the master volume at 5 just enough to make the tubes sing not enough to make the wife smash it up, then again i do live in the country with no neighbours. but if you only want it for bedroom volumes to practice just get a cheap ss amp its only you that will hear it. But yes i find the tone decent at low volumes.
What the ancients called a clever fighter is one who not only wins, but excels in winning with ease.

Sun Tsu, The Art OF War
Quote by False_God
meh, cant say, no tube amp sounds good at low volumes when its 30w or over.

Um, no? My JSX sounds amazing at low volumes. And my friends Powerball amazing at low volumes aswell.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by DarthV
What speakers are you using in your 1936 cab? I'm thinking about swapping out the Sheffields in my combo for a couple g12t's or a g12t + v30.

Its got 2 - 12" Celestion G12T75's. But at 16 ohms, only one speaker is active pumping out 75Watts. At 8 ohms, its a solid 150 Watts.

Swapping out a combo's speaker may not sound as good as a closed back cab. I swapped my sheffield speaker for a celestion on a peavey combo and it did not sound as good as I expected. A closed back does wonders to the low-end.

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Guess I can put that on the list of things to eventually try. First up is a ISP decimator. I have a lot of fluoro lights in my house, so I get some crazy noise once I turn the gain past 1/2 way.
Fleet of MiJ Ibanez
Couple of Balls
Peavey & EVH Wolfgangs
Eclipse
Fender HM Strat
Kemper KPA
5150 III 50w & cabs
The ISP decimator is amazing my friend. My guitars were originally dead silent with the 5150. but I changed some pups and since then, something's wrong and it buzzes a lot. The decimator kills all the noise.
I used to think the boss Ns-2 was good. After I plugged in the decimator, I now think the NS-2 is crap. The NS-2 will eliminate noise, but also eats up your sound. Especially, the clean sound. I dont know how they do it on the decimator. The clean sound is still full of sustain and clarity and the dirty is still dirty without any noise. Its my fav pedal !!

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

Quote by emperor_black
The ISP decimator is amazing my friend. My guitars were originally dead silent with the 5150. but I changed some pups and since then, something's wrong and it buzzes a lot. The decimator kills all the noise.
I used to think the boss Ns-2 was good. After I plugged in the decimator, I now think the NS-2 is crap. The NS-2 will eliminate noise, but also eats up your sound. Especially, the clean sound. I dont know how they do it on the decimator. The clean sound is still full of sustain and clarity and the dirty is still dirty without any noise. Its my fav pedal !!

Ive been meaning to pick up a Noise Gate of some kind cause Ill be adding about 3 pedals very soon, Ill def. consider this one. Thanks for the info haha.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
tube amp at low volumes still has tones superior to any ss amp.

by low i mean 2-3-4 not 0.000003 living next door to some old people waiting to die