Page 3 of 63
I don't think there is a way to tell if it isn't working unless the seller lists it, or you see a pic with missing guts. That would be completely shady of them not too however, you just have to pay close attention to who the seller is, and their feedback/selling history. They are built like tanks though, I've seen the ugliest, beat up, ripped up, torn up looking Mesas that still sound fantastic. The only thing I can think of, is some people say the original 2 ch versions of the rectifier sound a little better than the newer 3 channel, so they are slightly more sought after.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Thanks.... I been wanting the sound of one, but buying everything else cause i couldn't afford a new one. But I figured there one of the best amps makers in the world, so even if i bought a use one i couldn't go too wrong.
yeah, have no fear of a used one, you get a lot more for your money that way. I bought mine used, completely ratty looking, shot tubes and all. It was made in 1991 , and I swear it must have had the original preamp tubes still. New tubes brought it right back to life. The great thing about tube amps, is the tubes are what take most of the beating.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
^^ got a link to JUST your photobucket?
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
hmm, I've never tried to share my whole album, it's pretty cluttered man. I tried emailing you the link thru photobucket, but I don't know if it worked. How do I share my whole album?

edit: alrighty, try this one then. Thanks SG
warning though, it's not organized well at all
http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/Erock503/
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 19, 2006,
when your at the main page where you upload photos, just copy the url and paste it here it wont be on your account IE my gear link is my photobucket url
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
I've had my Single for about 4 months now, and she is my pride and joy I've recently retubed with JJ E-34L's and honestly, I'm like Eric I LOVE the tone!!! The 6L6 deep presence is gone, but the E-34L's are sooo tight and articulate I love it! I'm playing through an Ibanez RG1570 and I can say this, I can get almost any tone I'm looking for.

Mesa is the brand I'll be sticking with for a LOOOONG time
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Cool... I just sold my tonelab se(tube multi-effect pedal) and epiphone valve standard(15 watt all tube).. and got 750 from them... so im hoping and cant get one with a warranty still one it cause i dont have anything else to play nor will i have money two fix it/retube it for a month or two.. it will be my only amp for a long time

but i feel totally confident in buying one now.. thanks
man this thread is getting long...

my question....
What Mesa has the best cleans with a Mesa crunch to go with it??

Thanks...
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Road King II....

Lone Star Cleans...

Rectifier Gain

Can't beat that IMO.

x2 FTW
Long is a good thing, in many many respects...
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
Long is a good thing, in many many respects...

Wtf mate?
in resonse to Rock saviors statement "this thread is getting long"

Im hoping it gets stickied or used enough to be a hot thread..

So I went to a show tonight and saw Brand new sin. they both used 5150's and ESP viper 1000's w/ EMG's...

Great metal sound but sooo middy and high gaing with little low end.

Thanks god for mesa, the bass player broke a string and had to quit for part of a song till the tech got him another bass..

NO low end left in the band...none...
Mail Goes here.

Low end it good.....don't get me wrong....I LOVE my low end....but in a mix, the extended low end of the Mesa plus the 6L6s really muddies up both your tone and the overall mix. IMO, EL-34s seem to be a much better "mix friendly" tube. You're not cutting into bass playing territory any more.
no see you just have to know how to EQ your amp. Mesa wouldnt be famous for 6L6 power if everyone had shitty muddy tone....
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
no see you just have to know how to EQ your amp. Mesa wouldnt be famous for 6L6 power if everyone had shitty muddy tone....

So true. I had a GREAT tone that cut very, very well with 6L6, my ears would also tend to bleed when I had it on though , no but really I love mids....like LOVE...as in if mids where women I would make mad sweety love to her. I just like the extra tight aggressive sound of the EL's. I love 6L6 and I'm sure I'll get a set so I can switch when I want too, but for now I love me E-34L's
Ok....

how much am I looking at spending for a Road King 2??

I have a feeling its gonna be a lot and are there any other amps that are decent that do both....

Also, I'm the 100th post
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
I think there like $3000 or something crazy like that, don't quote me on it though.
Quote by Rock Savior
Ok....

how much am I looking at spending for a Road King 2??

I have a feeling its gonna be a lot and are there any other amps that are decent that do both....

Also, I'm the 100th post

2.5 grand for the head alone I think...900 for the cab....ouch.
It's so good. Try out the roadster...it's almost as good and it's 2 grand
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
Dual Rectifier Roadster (2X12 combo)
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
howbout like around one grand....anything decent to try out??

I like the mesa distortion, but I would also like that great low end on cleans...

I know its hard to find though...a lot to ask for...
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

I've been seeing RK heads going on eBay used for between $1800-2000 pretty consistently in the last few months.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by Rock Savior
howbout like around one grand....anything decent to try out??

I like the mesa distortion, but I would also like that great low end on cleans...

I know its hard to find though...a lot to ask for...

You could probably get a single and a 2x12 for a little over a grand. Just have to look for those amazing deals bro, they pop up every now and again.
do the singles have good (or decent) cleans??
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

All the cleans should sound the same. I think there ok, I don't use them a lot and you always add chorus/reverb to clean them up more.
Yep...chorus makes bad cleans sound great. But the singles don't have tube rectification! it's something that you would have to try yourself.
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Go dual ot triple, go triople if you want to ahve the most amazing ly over powering clean sound and insane low end punch.

Go dual if your a normal person

And I know how to EQ my amp Guys. My 6L6 Mesa Is absolutley tight and mid rich.

I would never put EL34's in an amp designed around the 6L6.

However I will say I am a huge huge fan of EL34 sounds. so naturally my Carvin amp Has my vote for sounding alltogether better in the respect that its just a monser tone machine.

If I had known I could get such awesome tone out of my Carvin just by tweaking a few knobs and flipping it down to 50 watts Id never have bought my mesa. But then agian I woud NEVER EVR EVER sell the Recto.

Its perfection in my eyes. 6L6's and all
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
Go dual ot triple, go triople if you want to ahve the most amazing ly over powering clean sound and insane low end punch.

Go dual if your a normal person

And I know how to EQ my amp Guys. My 6L6 Mesa Is absolutley tight and mid rich.

I would never put EL34's in an amp designed around the 6L6.

However I will say I am a huge huge fan of EL34 sounds. so naturally my Carvin amp Has my vote for sounding alltogether better in the respect that its just a monser tone machine.

If I had known I could get such awesome tone out of my Carvin just by tweaking a few knobs and flipping it down to 50 watts Id never have bought my mesa. But then agian I woud NEVER EVR EVER sell the Recto.

Its perfection in my eyes. 6L6's and all

You probably already said this, but where did you get the info that the Recto was designed around 6L6? Also, do you have any clips?
No clips but um Mesa says their amps are made around 6L6's....

Read the website.
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
No clips but um Mesa says their amps are made around 6L6's....

Read the website.

Pshhhh, reading...you're funny!

jk, I'll check it out later, now it's time for PIZZA!!!
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Tight and articulate...maybe, but no way it's as tight or as articulate as the EL-34s...

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
I run Ruby 6L6GCMSTR's and Ruby 5U4BG's.

12AX7's are Mesa's but they are one of the best sounding 12AX7's Ive veer used. Save NOS RCA tubes which are simply the best on the planet.

And once again. EQing your recto proporly i the Key, you can make it very tight, and articulate comes from playing clean. Sloppy playing isnt hidden by 6L6's... nor is it by EL34's.

And now onto my rant.

The reason Mesa's are regarded as a heavy bottom end amp, is due to the 6L6 being a very chunky low end tube. The amp isnt itself insanely low end oriented, the tubes make it so. If 6L6's really sounded like mud and undeffined loose flabby bass then why are Rectofiers with 6L6's one of the most saught after amps?

Why then would mesa simply offer Recto's with EL34's if they sounded soo much better? No instead the made an entire line of amplifiers after the EL34 concept.

the reason? Recto's were made to be played with 6L6's.. they added the Bias switch simply because it was a popular thing to swap tubes alot during recordig sessions and this made re-biasing the amp, very very easy.

I will admit the recto probably does sound quite good with the EL34's however I would not, could not, WILL not ever put EL34's in my rectofier.

On a side note. Ibanez4life SZ I would once again like to warn you of the dangers of using GZ-34 rectofier tubes. The reason your low end is so "tight" is that you are usung a tube that is so close to being the same as the SS rectofier its nearly impossible to dicern the difference if your a RF wave meter. The spongy setting on Diode rectifing is nearly ienticle to the GZ's with the setting on bold.

Furthermore, the bold setting on Diode rectifiing will further tighten the response, and low end. I am not a fan of the sound but it will improve what you claim the EL34's did for your sound!

Also the oversized cabinet is a bad bad cab. standing bass Waves sit and crash into eachother and make it nearly impossible to controll the bass...

I've stated this previously I am aware.

So ill leave my 6L6's and be more than happy and KNOW with my rpopor EQ-ing, amazing ruby tunes, 5U4GB's and Regular sized cabinet, that no other Recto can touch my tone.

End Rant.
Mail Goes here.

Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 20, 2006,
Also the most expensive I've wanted to try some NOS for a long time but dizzam...I iz poor
Yes, but they were also in a vintage JMP...

awe inspiring tone.
Mail Goes here.

I've played the stelleto and it sounded amazing! Great, full cleans even for an amp that was running el34's. I really liked it. Great lead tones. BUT, I like recto's better (insane bass).
My Rig:
PRS SE custom
cube 60
DR strings
EHX Multiplexer
Ok, new topic.

I think people underestimate the power of the Mesa Stilleto series.

I saw Hinder last week (Staind/Shinedown Tour), and I was right in front of the rhythm player's rack. He had two Stilettos (Back up I guesss), and when the tech came out to do sound check...the distortion was just as massive as a rectifier. The cleans were also amazing.

Makes me wonder...

Amps were Stiletto Deuce