Page 4 of 63
Quote by SGKIDD
no other Recto can touch my tone.

Exactly what a guys says on the ESP boards. I've heard his recto...

Godly Recto Tone

Also, where on the site does it say rectos where made around the 6L6? I can't find it
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Last edited by CodySG at Dec 21, 2006,
^^ its in the history section somewhere, I am pretty sure thats where.
It also could have been in an interview with a Mesa employee I can't remember?! haha

Also The Stilletto is erally awesome, and can put out the gain a recto can. with EL34 tone and a much more reliable amp than a recto using EL34's its output transformers are registered higher than a Recto's as 6L6's run cooler than a EL34's.

And Ibanez4life SZ, yes Ruby tubes are known to fun a wee bit hotter and have a MUCH MUCH better quility, both build and tone wise than many other tune companys, IE Groove Tubes = Junk. JJ's are a few steps up, then come Ruby's and then a few others which are hard to find, and finaly NOS RCA's

And I am not bashing your tone either im sure a Recto CREAMS with EL34's but I simply prefer my Recto 6L6 run! T each his own. BTW do you ahve any good clips of your recto? Id put some up but I lack any good recording gear.

But all have much different characteristics. Maybe perhaps someday you will re-tube your amp and jus for the hell of it thro some ruby 6L6's in and hear how amazing they are. Also MAYBE someday Ill go out and thro a set of EL34's in...

Maybe... but not likely.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 21, 2006,
Quote by Rock Savior
Ok....

how much am I looking at spending for a Road King 2??

I have a feeling its gonna be a lot and are there any other amps that are decent that do both....

Also, I'm the 100th post

Price for the Road King II per Mesa is $2499.00 for the head, $2699.00 for the 2x12 combo. The Road King cabinets are $629.00 for the 2x12, and $949.00 for either the straight or slant front 4x12. One of the main reasons I chose the Roadster was because of the $1899 price tag for the head. So that raises a question; Is the progressive linkage and multi-cab output worth the extra $700?
Quote by CodySG
Exactly what a guys says on the ESP boards. I've heard his recto...

Godly Recto Tone

Also, where on the site does it say rectos where made around the 6L6? I can't find it

That guy does have a really freaking awesome set-up. Its not my preffered style from a Recto. But I gotta give it to the guy...great tone!

The Stilleto series?...not a big fan. I know a kid who has one. He has a Gibson LP and a PRS with P90s. The LP sounds alright, still not very good. And the PRS with P90s sounds absolutely gross. Just....bleh. Idk. I dont like it.
^^ us triple rectos guys gotta sticktogether.

I like the Stilleto but its no recto

and that dudes bio says he uses and Engle power ball...
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 21, 2006,
Quote by SGKIDD
^^ us triple rectos guys gotta sticktogether.

I like the Stilleto but its no recto

and that dudes bio says he uses and Engle power ball...

All I have to say is: Get owned recto fanboys.
Well I just read every article on the Mesa website and if it said anything about being made around the 6L6 it's not there now. I'm probably going to call them in a second just to find out for myself.

*EDIT* Also, that recto tone up there is coming out of an oversized cab.
Last edited by CodySG at Dec 21, 2006,
Quote by CodySG
Well I just read every article on the Mesa website and if it said anything about being made around the 6L6 it's not there now. I'm probably going to call them in a second just to find out for myself.

*EDIT* Also, that recto tone up there is coming out of an oversized cab.

That tone isn't even 100% recto. G_G

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, the 'recto' tone sounds kinda like what comes out of my line6.
Last edited by xxgenocide98xx at Dec 21, 2006,
Ok?

Anyway, I called Mesa and they said yes the recto's where built around the 6L6 but the installed the bias switch so that you could have the best of both worlds kind of thing and there it's safe and yada yada.

Either way, it's there for a reason...
argh no one has a mesa f50 here?

i was looking for some good tones ican get form it.. anyone got any setting suggestions anyways?

im PRETTY sure itd got el43s
Minsoo s.w.
anybody want to buy an absolutely mint (just over 3 months old have the reciept never left my smoke free room not a scratch on it) rectifier standard 4X12 (i believe this is refered to as the oversize)? $700 pickup only i live in Secaucus NJ
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
That tone isn't even 100% recto. G_G

EDIT:

Now that I think about it, the 'recto' tone sounds kinda like what comes out of my line6.

Yeah my Line 6 Spider III can make a recto quiver....

Anywho, Im not a "fan boy" I tried several amps including Marshall DSL50's TSL60's and 100'S, JCM800's, Vox Ad and AC series, Several Mesa Roadsters, a Single Recto, Fender Super Sonic, Fender Twin, Randalls, Peavey Classic 30,50,100... And non of them got me the sont I get from my triple...

Not even close.

I chose Mesa Because Mesa was the best to MY ears. And If i remember correctly you were trying to sell me your single recto?

Besides why come here and be a pin when theres soooo many people talking about their Behringer V-tone that "pWnZ" or their Line 6 pos...
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
Yeah my Line 6 Spider III can make a recto quiver....

Anywho, Im not a "fan boy" I tried several amps including Marshall DSL50's TSL60's and 100'S, JCM800's, Vox Ad and AC series, Several Mesa Roadsters, a Single Recto, Fender Super Sonic, Fender Twin, Randalls, Peavey Classic 30,50,100... And non of them got me the sont I get from my triple...

Not even close.

I chose Mesa Because Mesa was the best to MY ears. And If i remember correctly you were trying to sell me your single recto?

Besides why come here and be a pin when theres soooo many people talking about their Behringer V-tone that "pWnZ" or their Line 6 pos...

Vetta combo, actually, not a spider.

If you want to buy a recto that's fine but I've always thought it was pretty clear that I didn't like it, which is why I sold it rather than kept it after I made the deal I did.

Anyway that tone from the myspace there sounds similar to what I get out of the vetta 2x12 downstairs, I find it highly ironic that everyone jizzes over something that line6 covers really well with their treadplate patch that can be found on their mid-level amplifiers...
ive never got to play mesa rectros, but spider vettas are fking awesome amps.

I loved them. But got a mesa f50 anyhow :p I guess i was just in the 'omfg i gotta get a tube amp' phase haha
Minsoo s.w.
After all this tube talk, I decided to throw the stock Mesa 5U4GBs back in the rectifier position.

The amp sounds pretty nice....a little looser than with the GZ-34s, but those were a bit too tight with the E-34Ls....

My next step will be a full retube from Doug's Tubes, but I'll run these for a few more months before I do that.
All Doug will recomend in power is Ruby, but I've heard they sound good in rectos.
Quote by minsoo
ive never got to play mesa rectros, but spider vettas are fking awesome amps.

I loved them. But got a mesa f50 anyhow :p I guess i was just in the 'omfg i gotta get a tube amp' phase haha

dude, don't be bummed about getting that amp, those are great little amps. You can get a lot of great tones out of those things. If you're new to the EQ, go to the Mesa manual, and try out the factory settings on page 9. After you set them up like the manual, then start tweaking them to your own taste. It should be able to put a smile on your face pretty quick, the Mesa active EQ's can be a bitch if you're not familiar with them. The Gain will shape the overall sound, so that's the most powerful control. Next is the treble, which is the first control in the signal path, and therefore affects how the mid and bass change the signal. A little crack on the gain or treble can really change all the other controls. http://www.mesaboogie.com/manuals/F-Series.pdf

oh, and btw, unless someone changed it over, it should be using 6L6GC. The F30 was the only one to use EL84
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 21, 2006,
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
You can't try it yourself? haha.

I don't own a Vetta, and I'm not going to run around trying to fine one
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
After all this tube talk, I decided to throw the stock Mesa 5U4GBs back in the rectifier position.

The amp sounds pretty nice....a little looser than with the GZ-34s, but those were a bit too tight with the E-34Ls....

My next step will be a full retube from Doug's Tubes, but I'll run these for a few more months before I do that.

Yeah dude, Get rid of those GZ's!!!

I prefer the sound of the 5U4GB's anyhow, I like a bit of sag.

Also Rubys are the way to go, the best sounding tube IMO (I already stated that NOS rca's are better however they come with a price)

Ok next up; I noticed today that when i rollled the guitar volume off...all the way...there was a considerable ground loop type hum...
So I went searching. Wasnt the cables, or the fact they were running parrallel to my power cable. Turns out it wasnt a bad ground at all.

My CF-7 Chorus/Flanger and My Digidelay were creating an uun believable amount of hum. My amp is 90% queiter now! then I went off and replaced my Godlyke pwer supply with an abanez wall wart. The Godlyke runs 1700ma or1.7 amps which causes a bit of unwanted noise. The Ibanez runs at 200ma... running only three pedals no more than two at once i think i can keep it under a 200ma load.

So heres my beef. Are my pedals broken? even with the ibanez power supply they were VERY VERY noisy! Is this common? and is there anyway to make my power supply quiet down so when i need to run say.... 10 pedals... ?
Mail Goes here.

Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 22, 2006,
yes but see im saying the TS-9, BD-2, SD-1,BBEand Both wahs and even my shitty Smash box which I dont even use (i dont use the sd-1 or bd-2 now either s they are dads and I ahve the ts and the BBE) dont have ANY noise with my ibanez power supply, and just a little added noise with the Godlyke.
Mail Goes here.

Quote by CodySG
I don't own a Vetta, and I'm not going to run around trying to fine one

Pod, podxt, flextone and HD147 all have recto models...

I'm not the one mistaking a recto tone for an ENGL. GG
They all sound like crap too!
Mail Goes here.

Quote by xxgenocide98xx
I'm not the one mistaking a recto tone for an ENGL. GG

?????
Hes obviously lost his mind....

lets all just let him be now...

poor little guy....
Mail Goes here.

Quote by SGKIDD
Hes obviously lost his mind....

lets all just let him be now...

poor little guy....

Quote by CodySG
?????

he's referring to that adam guy in the band you linked under "Godly Recto Tone". It says he uses an ENGL Powerball.
http://www.myspace.com/adamhooton
http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=25822919&blogID=118379629&MyToken=2fb95d21-4c06-4e26-a555-4efc7d52d159
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
I pointed that one out. I didnt mistake it. thats why I went searching.....
Mail Goes here.

He's not the guitarist with the recto, Bill is. If he looked at the pictures on Neo's site and not wondering around one of the guitarist he would have seen the Bill's rig of doom picture.

Because we guitarist must call everything "of doom"
Quote by SGKIDD
I pointed that one out. I didnt mistake it. thats why I went searching.....

Quote by CodySG
He's not the guitarist with the recto, Bill is. If he looked at the pictures on Neo's site and not wondering around one of the guitarist he would have seen the Bill's rig of doom picture.

Because we guitarist must call everything "of doom"

wow! that is a serious rig
so that Adam guy doesn't use his PB in those recordings?
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 22, 2006,
Idk if he does or not, but I know that the recto is the main amp being heard
Well now I see...

Cool, awesome rig!

Beats mine at the molment...

Stupid hum... Im getting rid of the Digidelay, and the CF-7 and the smash box, gonna trade them in on a new delay.... dont know which one yet... hopefully the place will give me cash for them...

any suggestions for a new delay? perhaps better than the digidelay which i was perfectly happy with despite its humming... something for 110 or less...
Mail Goes here.

Bump.
Mail Goes here.

Whered everyone go? haha, anyway (not to triple pst but...)

I just went on a knob twisting frenzy... Dialed in my channel three modern sound to whre im sure its gonna stay for a while...

Channel two could use some work... vintage mode, but still high gain, more of a lead tone, but a scorching one...

Clean Is still so messed... I need settings for REALLY REALLY clean at REALL REALLY loud volumes..
Mail Goes here.

don't know about the rest of your EQ, but you're going to want bold and silicon diode rectification if you are looking for the cleanest sound with the most headroom.
amp clips
amp vids
Its a crime to use silicone diodes...

so no, but i run bold.

any decent settings?
Mail Goes here.

lol why is it a crime? My single is stuck in it...and it rocks
well, you do realize that vacuum tube rectification has less headroom right? The vacuum tubes are less efficient at supplying current, so it adds a "sag" or "sponginess" to the sound as the amp chokes when it needs the most power. Lower frequencies need more power at higher volumes, and the more current the amp pulls, the higher the voltage drop and power drop. Silicone diode rectifiers have no internal resistance, so they don't suffer from the voltage drop as the current increases. The result is more headroom and a more punchy sound. You are shooting yourself in the foot if you are looking for "REALLY REALLY clean at REALL REALLY loud volumes" using a tube rectifier. That's why it's so popular with blues amps, since you can ride on that fine line of breakup where a dirty clean is so coveted.

BTW, have you tried what Mesa recommends for a clean? Try these with Silicon diode, bold setting, clean instead of pushed on channel 1:
presence: 11:00-2:00
Master: 11:00-1:00
Gain: 11:00- 1:00
Bass: 10:00-12:00
Mid: 7:00-8:00
Treble: 12:00-1:00
amp clips
amp vids
Last edited by Erock503 at Dec 22, 2006,