Page 5 of 63
ok but see I use the tube for my dist sound due to the sag...

and love it that way

I need a switch like the roadster... so i can ahve it on silocon dioeds for clean only

oh yeah we made it to nine pages. We have helped 6 people along the way, had three arguemnts and genreally had a good run. I say We continue making this the coolest Mesa thread ever.
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 23, 2006,
Im only on page 5. You guys havnt changed your settings to 40 posts a page? Pfft. N00bs.
Hey Guys. I was thinking about buying a mark III Blue Stripe. They say those are for heavier rock. Can I get anything even close to rectifier distortion?Does it have good cleans? I know a guy who has the red stripe one and he gets awesome vintage rock sounds.
Sorry bud I cant help you. Someone here might be able to, Wait and hope!

Also does a single recto have a EL34/6L6 bais switch?
Mail Goes here.

Musician for 14 years. Been inactive on UG since 2007. My have times changed. It's good to be back.
Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 23, 2006,
Quote by iluvmyprs89
Hey Guys. I was thinking about buying a mark III Blue Stripe. They say those are for heavier rock. Can I get anything even close to rectifier distortion?Does it have good cleans? I know a guy who has the red stripe one and he gets awesome vintage rock sounds.

does it have the graphic EQ? If you want metal tones out of it, you're going to want it with the graphic EQ, and probably a good OD. The Blue stripe is supposed to have more gain on the lead channel over the red from what I've been told, but it's going to be voiced different than a Recto distortion. Obviously more towards the Mark IV side.
"The fool doth think he is wise, but the wiseman knows himself to be a fool." - W.S.
amp clips
amp vids
Quote by SGKIDD
Sorry bud I cant help you. Someone here might be able to, Wait and hope!

Also does a single recto have a EL34/6L6 bais switch?

Series 1: No

Series 2: Yes.
bump.
Mail Goes here.

Ok so I think this thread is dieing..... not good.

So here I found an awesome setting on channel 3 modern for like... ridiculous drop tunings ( Drop Bb and ect...)

Pres: 11
Master: Wherever
Gain:1:30
Low: 1:00
Mid: 8 to 9
high: 12

Nice deep grindy and awesome for drop tunings...
Mail Goes here.

Quote by Erock503
does it have the graphic EQ? If you want metal tones out of it, you're going to want it with the graphic EQ, and probably a good OD. The Blue stripe is supposed to have more gain on the lead channel over the red from what I've been told, but it's going to be voiced different than a Recto distortion. Obviously more towards the Mark IV side.

An OD is definately not necessary. The Mark III sounds much more aggressive and has more percieved gain than the Mark IV, and right out of the box you've got more than enough gain for any kind of metal imaginable. Of course the graphic EQ is manditory.
How does the Splawn sound? I've been looking into them, seems like they're tone machines....

Sold your 5150 to get the MarkIV
Sold your MkIV for a Splawn

All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by CodySG
How does the Splawn sound? I've been looking into them, seems like they're tone machines....

Sold your 5150 to get the MarkIV
Sold your MkIV for a Splawn

Hehe, it is incredible. It is the kind of tone you hear on records that you've always heard in your head but have never been able to achieve. It is everything a Marshall should be and wishes it was. Nails the Van Halen tone, as well as any tone off any album made in the 80's but even better, and has gobs of gain after that to take me to death metal and beyond, with amazing clarity and crunch.

I really have absolutely no regrets buying this amp, and I think I'm done for a while. I've got the tone I've always wanted. One minor setback, the cleans suck dick, I'll have to pick up a Fender Deluxe Reverb or something soon.
You wanker...

WANKER

Either way, I wish I could get the 6L6 sound with the non fizz and mid crunch that the EL-34s give.

Funny you where praising Jesus like a month ago, now back to the ol' grind eh
I know....I know....flame away if you must....lol

For more moderate volumes, I found I MUCH prefered the E-34Ls....

But for band, live, and full blown recto fury, there's nothing like the 6L6.....smoother, and bigger in the mix. In a band mix, the E-34Ls were just a bit too harsh for my liking....

I missed the thump too

I ordered a pair of Mesa 5U4Gs (the coke bottle) rectifier tubes....everyone on the boogie board prasies them for being much clearer than the 5U4GBs....problem is they're on back order till February....Mesa is a bit behind....

I also look forward to a retube from Doug, especially in the preamp, but that's after these tubes get some more time on them

I'm starting to take a more logical approach to my amp....I trust Mesa to build the amp for me...I think I can trust them to use the right tubes too....
Im thinking about getting new preamp tubes... are 12AX7's rivialed by any other preamp tube? any other good ones, im going runys but what else...

also Rubys...rubys man....

Ok i didnt say this but...

Mesa tubes are made BY runy, mesa takes them and tests them again, silk screen their name on them and sells them.. and a ruby 5U4GB, is awesome... tighter than 12 year old pussy....

I didnt say that,.,
Mail Goes here.

Last edited by SGKIDD at Dec 27, 2006,
Idk, back off the mids a little and the presence and I got an amazing band tone with the EL's. The 6L6 sound a little more natural and airy to me though. Great tubes, I'll probably swap out and do a tone check sometime soon. I'm happy with either/or though.
Yea with Diode and the singles ways. The EL's do sound REALLY processed, I kinda like it in some situations, when I start gigging more I'll probably go to the 6L6 for good, but for now I swap.
Ok so in a dual you can remove two rubes to get 50 watts... how do i do that in my triple, or cant i..
Mail Goes here.

So here's a question... just how good IS the clean on the Lone Star? I heard the Road King Series II has the Lone Star clean channel, but I got mine (2005 model) used and it's a series 1... with the regular rectifier cleans I'm guessing... idk... point is I think the cleans sound amazing so... how much better do they get?
PRS Custom 22
Epiphone LP Custom
Ibanez Artcore AFS75T

Fender PT-100 Tuner
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon
Digitech Tone Driver
MXR Phase 100
Ernie Ball VP Jr Volume Pedal

Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Road King
'69 Fender Super Bassman
Gah... I need a Mark IIC+. Unless any of you Mesa junkies know any amps that can get similar tones?
ANDRE THE GIANT HAS A POSSE

Peace (sells)
Quote by SGKIDD
Ok so in a dual you can remove two rubes to get 50 watts... how do i do that in my triple, or cant i..

Cant be done. I researched that when I first bought my Triple. I called Mesa even and they said that its a nagatory.

I really wish you could do it with a Triple though. When I had my Dual Recto I pulled two tubes to run it in 50watts - hooked up two cabs to make a full stack and then cranked it...

*soiled pants*

*fainted*
Quote by Killedmt
Gah... I need a Mark IIC+. Unless any of you Mesa junkies know any amps that can get similar tones?

Mark III can get very similar tones for a fraction of the price.
So which one is better for melo-death metal? The Mark IV or the III?
Thats an oxy moron... melow death metal haha...
Mail Goes here.

Ok so Ive given up on my channel three modern...

I find a setting I like, and a few hours later I can't stand it. Channel two sounds amazing, I love it..

Anyone have A high gain channel three setting, with enough pres. so it doesn sound like my amp has a blanket over the cab? or w/e?

Im trying to find a ballance, enough mids to cut through the mix and sit nicely in a band situation, enough highs to make pinch harminics stand out,.... and keeo that chuggin thump low end...

Help?
Mail Goes here.

^ Have you seen my channel 3 settings pic? If not:

Those settings give me enough mids to cut through nicely, a thumpy low end, and a perfect amount of presence. So far, its been working great for all my guitars. IMO, thats just a good all-around setting for anything heavy for pretty much any guitar.

*If youve already seen this...disregard.
Ok Thats awesome... thanks much Im gonna go dial that in haha

also do you use mostly your channel volume? or use the master output volume?
Mail Goes here.

I just put a set of tubes from Doug in my Mark IV. I put a Tung-Sol 12AX7 reissue in V1 and V2, a JJ ECC83 in V3, a Sovtek 12AX7LPS in V4 and a 12AX7LPS marked "Phase Inverter" in V5. The power tubes are RUBY 6L6s.

If you're into heavier stuff, Winged =C= is another alternative, but the Ruby's are great for my style, which is more oriented towards blues and jazz tones. The TS tubes for the Rh 1 and Rh 2 channels sound lightyears better than stock Boogie.
Hi, I'm Peter
Quote by SGKIDD
Ok Thats awesome... thanks much Im gonna go dial that in haha

also do you use mostly your channel volume? or use the master output volume?

I use the master Output for overall volume. Then I use the channel volumes to keep all my channels at the same volume.

NEW PICS of my Recto with my new LTD EC-400 with an EMG 81/60 set. Also my new VisualSound H20 chorus/delay!

*click for fullsize*
ok.... so I dialed that setting in....maybe my recto is different but.... it sounded identical to my channel two when have it cranked..

But I will say it sat well when played against some backing tracks...

but still too much like channel two...

Im in one of those knob twisting modes... nom atter what I dial in it just doesnt sound right... and im getting rather frustrated... you know!!

So I dialed it it back to my original settings, which are basically the mesa's samples with a bit more presence/gain.. still this whole thing of dialing in that amp is making my head hurt..
Mail Goes here.

^ I know what you mean. I get into those modes too...where nothing sounds like I want it. And it pisses me off. Thats why I write down (with pictures and whatnot) the settings that I like so I dont forget them.
To continue my Christmas season GASing...

I talked to a guy from my job who just started there recently. Turns out the dude builds pedals as a side business and was a student of Dan Armstrong (father of Ken Armstrong) for a while. www.vintagetoneproject.com Fu Manchu and John Fogarty are a couple of the more popular artists he's done custom work for. But anyway, after talking to him for a bit, he said he'd build pedals for me at parts cost. I'm going to check out some samples of his work in person, but I think I'm going to have him do up a fuzz (Neil Young style) and a boost pedal for me.
Hi, I'm Peter
^ Ohhhh sounds cool man. Lucky you! Im still GASing even though Im perfectly set for life lol. I think Im gunna either buy a used Mesa Standard Recto straight cab to make a full stack, or if I cant find one cheap enough Im gunna put either V30s in my old Behringer straight cab...or G12Ts or Greenbacks...er idk what to put in there lol. I got all these speakers at work and I cant decide!

What do you guys think would pair nicely with a Mesa cab (with V30s)? More V30s? G12Ts? G12Ms?