Page 2 of 73
Quote by Aussie Ghost
NO FKN WAY!!! C'mon, it was almost exactly the same as the original. I mean, by the time id heard that cover i had heard the original so many times that in order for me to be impressed it had to give it a whole new light. Hense why i liked the COF version, it added a new aspect to the song. Iced Earth just sung and played the song like they had tabs in front of them, What is the point in that? (Also i think the fucked up the solo in it, but that is debatable as well i suppose)

I love their version of the song. Period. They own Iron Maiden at their own song.
^Clearly you are either deaf or just an idiot.

The song is supposed to be dark, and meaningful. The intro just totally fucks that up. The way he sings it is so sub-par to Iron Maiden. His voice is all over the shop and he just isn't convicing that he is feeling the song while he sings it. The rhythem guitar work is half arsed and it sounds like they have bought an Iron Maiden tab book and just tried to copy what was on the page! The drum set sounds like some dude smashing away on trashcans and the solo is effectively what i would expect from some garage cover band who can't play the actual solo so settle for something close enough.

Tell me what part of that song you think is better than Maidens version and your reasons behind it? Im really interested to hear this
Quote by J.R.R. Tolkein
All that is gold does not glitter; not all those that wander are lost.

Quote by CowboyUp
If a mute swears, does his mum wash his hands with soap?

Food for thought from AussiE
I personally think it was just a good tribute song, not trying to out do the original (which with Iron Maiden, isn't possible). And Aussie Ghost be aware that it was recorded in Jon Schaffer's basement and it was just a fun thing the band was doing which turned into a bonus album, oh it isn't exactly a easy song to top/give the same feeling, imho.
Quote by Nite27
you know, I have no problem with Ripper's vocals, but I just wish he would stop joining other people's bands and just dedicate himself to a solo project...

yeah its just that what i hate about him, although his vocals werent that good at the gigs they did on festivals a few years ago when i saw them twice...
every man dies, not every man really lives

Originally Posted by Guitarplaya27
god so all those weird noises on those songs were bass...

jesus christ i like them
Quote by Nite27
although I love Blind Guardian and Iced Earth, I actually like Demons & Wizards more than eiether of them.. the combination of John's riffs and Hansi's vocals is just mindblowing...

I second that. Demons and Wizards' "Wicked Witch" and "My Last Sunrise" Were my 2 Favorites
Quote by Cobain_is_king

Seth: 1
A7X: 0
Quote by Aussie Ghost
^Clearly you are either deaf or just an idiot.

Tell me what part of that song you think is better than Maidens version and your reasons behind it? Im really interested to hear this

I'm neither, I just have a differing opinion than yours. As I said, I liked the cover more...the ENTIRE cover, not just one part.

So you can shut up and stop telling me what's right and wrong. It's my opinion. Leave it at that.
Kick ass band. Schaffer is definatly my favourite rhythm guitarist of all time.

Ok so lets move on then, anyone have any mates that are into Iced Earth? do any of you jam to their songs etc.

I really wish more of my mates were into them (I got them to listen to them, but not to learn any songs ) so we could play together, I have once or twice (I'm a bassist and all mates are guitarists/drummers) and it was pretty fun.

After reading some of youse guys feed back I'm thinking about getting that (un)-official "Alive in Athens" DVD .... speaking of that does any one have that Gettysburg DVD?.

Anyway, yet again I'll say I have very high hopes for the new album(s), I've got a really strong feeling that Jon will bring out the most out of Tim Owens and all the members he has (I mean at least he has Brent Smedley, who has been in the band for a bit - he did the first "Something Wicked.." and Dark Saga albums) including the guitarist from England, who knows, he might equip them all with some new pickups .
On the matter of playing their songs, I am currently trying to learn all the songs of their Dark Saga album. As I am the only guitarist in the band, and the other two members just plays along with anything I choose we play a good amount of Iced Earth during rehearsals. Only their easier songs though, like the Dark Saga, Watching Over Me, Melancholy and A Question for Heaven.

On another note, are you guys able to play Violate at full speed? My band is called Violate, so I always thought it would be an awesome opener for us to play (you know the "Enter now... and Violate!" part), but I can't seem to nail it at that increadible speed! I play downstrokes only, and can manage some other trash songs like Creeping Death by Metallica, but this one totally kicks my ass!
Our band just recently got a drummer and at our last practice we did the Hunter and kinda did Iced Earth. I'm trying to get them all to learn Pure Evil, cause i recently got that song down pretty good and am able to sing parts of it without screwing up, plus I love that song.

Renka:The chorus to Violate I think is kinda easy actually, the only part I ever really had trouble with was the verse.
Yeah, I was talking about the verse too. The chorus I can manage, as well as the other parts, but Jesus Christ the verse is hard!
They are my fav band, I can play pretty much any of their songs (i don't want to hear cut ups, i don't care). They also released their Alive In Athens DVD this year (if this hasnt been mentioned yet) its ****ing sick, i love it. I hope this band never dies.

I don't understand why if maiden is so huge that very few have heard of Iced Earth. These two almost are parrallel in music style, considering that Schaffer had taken the triplet picking to a whole new level.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD
-Marshall AVT series 4x12" extension cab.
-Digitech Death Metal Distortion Pedal

ICED EARTH
^Good to see another die hard fan of Iced Earth, and on that point does anyone know if Iced Earth have ever played/met up with Iron Maiden?? or if it has been mentioned in any magazine etc?

Renka one of my mates has started to really get into Iced Earth too (thanks to me ) but he is the only one of my mates who doesn't play an instrument (even though he used to play keyboard ... hmm maybe I should get him to start playing again, ala Burnt Offerings), and he always asks my guitar playing mates to learn The Funeral or Pure Evil.

I've started learning Pure Evil on Bass, that riff about 1/3rd of the way through is cool on Bass (it has the harmonized guitar parts) and so is the one following that is heaps good too - it goes

G-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
E—1-0-1-0-----000-000-000-000-000-001-0-1-3-333-333-333-333-333-331-0-1-0-----------------------

very cool
iced earth are great! my friend is obsessed with them and is goin to see them at wacken >.< lucky bitch!!!
i love zeppelin
Quote by KVX10 KING V

I don't understand why if maiden is so huge that very few have heard of Iced Earth. These two almost are parrallel in music style, considering that Schaffer had taken the triplet picking to a whole new level.

Easy. Maiden has:
- been around for a decade longer than Iced Earth
- created their very own image, with all the horror stuff and Eddie and such
- a record label with really aggressive marketing

I think I'm gonna look for my copy of Night of the Stormrider now. Haven't listened to Iced Earth in a long time.
tr00, still it would be sick if they did something together.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
^The Oceanborn definately give it a listen, excellent album from start to finish - note worthy mentions include Pure Evil, which John Greeley did a very good job, Desert Rain, very varied and -able, and of course Travel in Stygian - although long it is very atmospheric (especially the re-issue - being remastered and all, Morrisound must be an excellent studio).

KVX10 KING V, I think they should do some sort of tour/collaboration or something of that type, especially considering the contrasts/similarities the bands have (Maiden being more melodic and Iced Earth being more thrash-y etc).

I've got a good feeling about the new lead guitarist (Tim Mills) as well, mainly from what Jon Schaffer said;

"As for his playing, it's awesome, very melodic, very tasty and he has great original ideas and songwriting abilities as well.

He's here now and we're really inspiring each other and coming up with some great parts together. It's been a very long time since

I've felt this kind of chemistry and I'm very psyched about it. It's an ingredient that's been missing for a very long time, so it should bring some very cool results."

Because with a lot of the recent Lead players that have worked with Iced Earth, they didn't really add to the band very much, well at least since Randall Shawver was in the band.
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Dec 19, 2006,
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
^The Oceanborn definately give it a listen, excellent album from start to finish - note worthy mentions include Pure Evil, which John Greeley did a very good job, Desert Rain, very varied and -able, and of course Travel in Stygian - although long it is very atmospheric (especially the re-issue - being remastered and all, Morrisound must be an excellent studio).

hehe thanks man, but you have misunderstood me: I was going to look for the CD in my messy room, I have had that album for quite a long time and I was listening to it AGAIN.

Fight on, grab on, Stormrider, I ****in love that cd, every song is a classic.

And about Tim Mills, does anyone know if he has played in any other bands, i would like to hear some of his stuff if he has any. I also found this one power metal band called Winters Bane that has Tim Owens singing, its pretty kickass but his vocals have progressed alot since then.
I love the Gregorian chant effect in Angel's Holocaust, Dante's Inferno, etc. I've mainly been listening to Horror Show but I need to get some more of their stuff.
Yesturday me and my band preformed 1776 live in our talent show infront of like 700 students and 200 parents, best time of my life. heres the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijdc3OjkIV0
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
Conqueror, I have yet to see what other bands the new Lead Guitarist has been in, it is possible that he is more of a jam/play at pubs kind of guy then a band guy. Jon Schaffer is known to be pretty good at getting well known/experienced musicians as well as talented/lesser known ones in his band/side projects.

KVX10 KING V, good to see you and your band organized to play an Iced Earth song, especially at a talent show.
KVX10 KING V, good to see you and your band organized to play an Iced Earth song, especially at a talent show.

Thnx, we plan to play some more of their songs next year.
My Equipment:

-KE3 Kelly Jackson
-Hyburn Stratocaster
-Marshall G80RCD

ICED EARTH
I can't convince my lead guitarist to want to learn any Iced Earth.

Probably because there are hardly any solos.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
KVX10 KING V I finally got a chance to watch your video, it was great, I tell the whole band was having fun and the crowd loved it. I'm just guessing you were in the middle?? any way the little synced head banging riff was a laugh and that was a good attempt at the flute solo at the end there.

ibaRGnez321, tell him hes a wuss and that he isn't really a Lead Guitarist if he can't attempt/learn descent Lead lines/melodies instead of just solos.
I love them. Barlow's voice was unbelievable.
Alive in athens FTW.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Thats right Necrolust didn't your go to Alive in Athens? you didn't say much about it last time, that would have been an f*cking excellent concert (especially since there is no chance of seeing another tour with Matt doing vocals ).
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
Thats right Necrolust didn't your go to Alive in Athens? you didn't say much about it last time, that would have been an f*cking excellent concert (especially since there is no chance of seeing another tour with Matt doing vocals ).

Yeah, I was there both days of the recordings and shows. I payed a little extra but I got to see barlow with his long hair banging like crazy. it was excellent and now with the alive in athens dvd you can also see the concert with the 35 songs performed along with special features with John Shaffer walking on the parthenon and introfucing his family.
And all that for a nominal fee. 15 to 28 euros , approximately $20 - $30
The Dvd was released in 2006 with great digital enhancement and absolutely amazing quality.
I definately suggest you to buy it. If I was Oprah I'd put a sticker on it.
Lol, anyway I think I'll get that DVD (I did know about it) but I hesitated because of what Jon said about the old record label and the fuss related to it. I currently own (have bought) every Iced Earth album (including the Dark Genesis box set - there was only 4000 made :woah) except The Dark Saga (I have a mp3 version from my mate but I refuse to listen to it till I get the original - it better quality anyway).

And I haven't seen either the Gettysburg or the Alive in Athens DVD's where I am so I'll have to order off the net I guess. So Necrolust is the DVD like a proper music DVD with the menus and all ?? and is the quality alright ?
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
And I haven't seen either the Gettysburg or the Alive in Athens DVD's where I am so I'll have to order off the net I guess. So Necrolust is the DVD like a proper music DVD with the menus and all ?? and is the quality alright ?

Yes, I was surprised at the quality actually. It has menus , song selection, the whole concert with 35 songs, and extra features. The sound and video quality is flawless. I cant stop watching it ..
I'm with Necrolust, the DVD is awesome. I think Jon was a bit bitter or something, cuz everything on it rocks. There are some flaws, for example there are like one shot of the drummer, they cut two or three songs out (good ones too) and the songs are in the wrong order (I may be the only one annoyed by this, but I want the autenthic experience, damn it! ).
Still, the sound and video was awesome and the DVD was pretty cheep where I bought it. So yeah, awesome.
Ok thanks guys, I'll have a look around to see where I can get a copy.

Anyway I might as well ask some Iced Earth related questions .... has anyone (other than Necrolust ) been to a Iced Earth concert? at all?.

And does anyone know what ever happened (seen an interview or other wise) to Dave Abell? he was the Bass player for the band from the start till (I think) The Dark Saga (or maybe till Some Wicked, when Jimmy Macdonough took over). I have a great deal of respect for him as I'm a Bass player and appreciate any good Bass playing in Metal, and I feel sorry for him (unless he did something wrong/bad?) being left behind when the band (sort of ) took off.
I've never been to one of their consert and I barely know anything of the members in the band, current or present.
But on the topic of taking off (career wise), I do think Iced Earth will get some fame with the release of their next album. If they just back it up with videos, ads and such I definently think they can cause a stir in the metal world seeing as they definently have the talent, they just need to be discovered.

The release of the Glorious Burden was definently a take off, if a minor one, seeing as it spawned a DVD release as well as two music videos (and the old record company thought Iced Earth to be a stong enough name to release an old DVD in it).
I see where your getting at Renka, and if you want to know anything about the band/songs etc just ask .

Yeah I've got a feeling the new album(s) will have sort of affect on how people perceive the band as there following (apparently) in most of Europe and Italy/Greece is picking up and other Western countries are starting to appreciate the band (not so much on these forums though ).

And the new record label seems to have a better concept of marketing the band for what it is and giving them a good chance to pick-up fans, and not to mention Jon and the band already said that on their next tour they will be doing the FULL-ON tour DVD with a proper crew etc. (I really hope they come to Australia
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Dec 30, 2006,
I got the DVD a few days ago and it is a hell of a lot better than I expected. I cant wait until there next tour,but it wont be as good without Barlow. I saw a video on youtube of the ripper doing Burning Times and he pulled it off alright but im still hoping Matt rejoins in time to tour, lol.
Iced Boreth.

All I really have.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour