Page 4 of 73
Incidentally, I just found out Iced Earth will play at Sweden Rock too! Holy **** that's big, Scandinavia just became a little close to heaven.

Speaking of which, what songs do you think they will play now adays? Some songs of Glorious Burden I figure, but other than that? Melancholy? Dracula?

Anyone seen them with Ripper?
Goddammit, i want to go to Wacken even more now. Iced Earth and Blind Guardian at the top of the bill, that just pwns.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Iced Earth and Blind Guardian both at Wacken, maybe there'll be some Demons & Wizards
Iced Earth is up there with my most played artists. Angel's Holocaust is such a ****ing epic song, along with Stormrider and 1776. In fact, 1776 gets me very pumped up
Rig

Jackson DK2M -> ISP Decimator -> Peavey 6505 Combo
unfathomable_bo, even thought I haven't been to a live concert with them playing, ALL of the footage/videos etc with them live are excellent, alot of energy and well preformed.

Oh and anyone over in Europe that gets to go to any concert with them preforming come back and let us know what it was like, especially since its going to be a fairly new line-up (The drummer, Brent Smedley is the only "veteran" among the band - he played the Alive in Athens concert, and Days of Pugatory CD), should be interesting I think.

Renka someone must have, but I'm pretty sure so far they have only been doing small concerts since The Glorious Burden (seen some footage of such venues).
Quote by Kepulix
I love the sound of doom in the morning, it sounds like... victory
Brent was awesome on Alive in Athens, the drums during that show were superb, so that is very good news indeed.

If I were to make a guess, I'd say they'll probably try and show off Ripper's high pitch, so I figure Dracula as a sure bet. Also, Melancholy should be an easy song for him to nail.
Other than that, I don't really know. My favourite Iced Earth songs are the one's with the low vocals, and my favourite album has got to be Horror Show and even though I hope otherwise, I do believe they will favour songs from the opposite end of the spectrum since I doubt Ripper can pull those songs off as well as Barlow could.

Don't get me wrong, he is very skilled and his hich vocals are superb, but I do believe he will have some problems with the lower vocals that we loved Barlow for.

But then, you can always hope, eh?
After downloading The Glorious Burden, i take back anything negative i ever said about Rippers singing, although i do agree with Renka that im not sure about if he'll pull off Barlows vocals.
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
^ Yes, you do have to acknowledge that fact that no one will come close to Matt Barlow's singing (in any band) especially any replacement vocalists they get, but Tim's voice is still very powerful and I think it will just take a bit of work for him to expand his style. (In all honesty you can't blame him for not nailing low vocals, as ALL the bands he has been in have higher pitched - Rob Halford-ish vocals).

And speaking of that his progression I have noticed through watching live videos is very encouraging, as far as the prospects for the new album(s). For example go on Youtube and watch the video for Dracula and ignore the fact he didn't do that well in the intro, and then listen to the one of Stand Alone - it just seems he needs to get more familiar with the songs & the flicking between styles (very few vocalists beside Matt can do this effectively).

Another example is songs on TGB where it is obvious he felt comfortable mixing up the range a bit, cos my view is that is must be difficult as a vocalist to come into a new band and sing their old songs with the same emotion and feeling when you are still settling within the new band.

Oh and again be aware that their is a good chance any new songs will have Jon doing backing vocals (he does it for some live songs too), and the best instance of this is in the last part of the Gettysburg trilogy (where Tim is General Lee and Jon is the other guy - very affective contrast).
Quote by Kepulix
Hey everybody, just though I'd ask; does anyone know what gear Iced Earth uses (Amps/Guitars)? I know that Jon is endorsed by Engl, but I also know he had a custom amp made for him, so I would assume he doesn't actually play them. Other than that, in this video (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tMknQXwnusw) at 5:48 the lead guitarist is using an amp clearly labled "Larry". Anyone know what the deal with that is?
i got nuthin but i really love ripper's vocals on the guettysburg trilogy ive had it mabey a week and listened to it 40+ times, he friggin rox, but i will miss songs like dante's inferno burnt offereings and the coming curse (insert sad smiley here)
Last edited by CAPTAINAMAZING at Feb 15, 2007,
Hello CAPTAINAMAZING, I am Captain Of Smug, we are now arch rivals.
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
LOL ^ good call Smug.

So anyone got the Alive in Athens DVD since we mentioned it last (I'm going to order it soonish), and I have watched the "Travel in Stygian" vid (on Youtube) from the DVD about 10 times or so. It owns pretty hard, best version of it I heard yet, and I'm guessing the rest of the concert was pretty good?

So anyone going to Wacken, and are they planning to see Iced Earth?? unfathomable_bo, I know you are, anyone else??

CAPTAINAMAZING, you are right, if you don't "compare" the vocals / vocalists, Tim Owens is excellent on The Glorious Burden, especially the trilogy (the end part of part three, where he plays General Lee is pretty intense).
Quote by Kepulix
I DO own the DVD and I think it's awesome, as I've said before. It could do with a few more shots of the drummer, and the order the songs are shown in doesn't make much sense, but that is all trivial. It kicks ass, dude.

Also, I think Jon uses B. C. Rich guitars live, but if I recall correctly he said in an interview that he uses Gibson Les Pauls in the studio (also, he will be using Bare Knucle Pickups from now on).

I also hope I will be going to Wacken later this year, but there are some money issues. Iced Earth will also come to Sweden Rock, so I have yet to decide which festival I am going to yet.
Thats good news on the DVD then, and from what I understand Jon will / does have some Guitars from Bernie Rico Jr. (The son of Bernie Rico whom start B.C. Rich) as that was how the band first met Ernie Carletti (lol who got charged with Rape and was "kicked out" the band, sort of).

And any of you Guitar players probably should have at look at the Bernie Rico Jr site, its has excellent Guitars, all custom and shit loads better than anything you will get from BC Rich now (which is why Bernie Jr started his own business - he had enough of the made in China sh*tty commercial BC Rich's).

Oh and from reading in other threads I would same it would be worth while to go to Wacken (I'd kill to go if I didn't live all the way across the world in Aus ).
Quote by Kepulix
And any of you Guitar players probably should have at look at the Bernie Rico Jr site, its has excellent Guitars, all custom and shit loads better than anything you will get from BC Rich now (which is why Bernie Jr started his own business - he had enough of the made in China sh*tty commercial BC Rich's).

See, I didn't know that! You sure know a lot about the band man, where do you get all this info? It's not like I've been scouring the web until my eyes bleed, but I still haven't found THAT much info.

And I'd love to go to Wacken too (it's not even that far, you know), but there are some logistical problems what with driving all the way there from Sweden. Gas money, etc. You know how it is with these things.
^LOL Yeah they are my favorite band after all, but I'm not like a "fan boy" (such as the Metallica fan boys) therefor I don't just listen to Iced Earth and think they are the best in the world etc.

BUT I always come back to them every so often and give an album a listen (I got a Zen Vision M, probably the best thing I have gotten in recent times, never underestimate how good it is to be able to listen to music any where you go .

Anyway so I was listening to Something Wicked today and then I remembered that to satisfy the fans for a while they are going to release a LP with a re-recorded version of the Something Wicked trilogy and some of the new songs.

I think this is a good idea and it will give us an idea of how the new line-up sounds (it has a few good bits for Ripper to sing his guts out, as well as some slower, deeper bits for him to work on). Also has any one else noticed that the solos on that album mostly cain? I mean for a band that doesn't do many solos and a songwriter who isn't that interested in them?

Oh and the rhythm "breakdowns" in that trilogy f*cking own hard, something that is (sort of) unique to this band, to some extent. (Chuck did some, but not the same)
Quote by Kepulix
Quote by Axis Of Evil
I have yet to see a thread dedicated to Iced Earth, and I myself strongly believe they deserve one. What does UG think of Iced Earth?

I really think it sucked Barlow left. Tim's a great vocalist, but Matt was a male vocal God. Period.

It's so weird barlow left to become a lawyer
Quote by dminishedthingy
It didn't seem possible, but apparently Messiah can spam even more now.

Quote by \Powerslave/
I can see it now. "Dark Thrones and Black People".

Quote by \Powerslave/
I pretty much wank something small and sleek.

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I feel bad for owens he's always joining bands and replacing amazing singers. He should either go solo or replace a crappy singer
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Axis Of Evil
I looked for one before I started this one. I just didn't have the patience to sit and go through all the search results.

I do believe that Barlow was a great vocalist. However, Tim brings something new and different to the table. That's good. He did extremely well on The Glorious Burden. I look forward to hearing what he can do with the next album.

As for the next album, it'll be good to hear how they go off the Something Wicked story. It's got a good base to it. So the next two CD's should rock big time.

What's everyone's five favorite songs? Just curious.

1.) Gettysburg
2.) Damien
3.) Blessed Are You
4.) Watching Over Me
5.) Dante's Inferno

Those go in no particular order. It's too hard to put them in an order.

1-Burnt Offerings (I listen to it like 3 times a day)
2-Angel's Holocust
3-Dante's inferno
4-Travel in Stygian
5-Damien
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I've never been a big fan of this band, they've always seemed so formulaic.
Don't be derivative. Explore...
Quote by Embodiment
I love the Gregorian chant effect in Angel's Holocaust, Dante's Inferno, etc. I've mainly been listening to Horror Show but I need to get some more of their stuff.

In angels holocust i don't really like it cause then you can barely hear the guitar. They should have made the chanting a little quieter
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
i bought the DVD. Am i the only one who noticed that, for example, on Dante's Inferno, it seems like the lead guitarist (don't remember the name) isn't playing the same solo you're hearing? or am i just crazy? same on Blessed Are You with Barlow's singing. A couple times, he appears to hold the note, but the note is dead on the audio. brainwashed has another guitar solo mismatch that i noticed. it doesn't bother me too much, but i laugh at it sometimes.
Quote by snipelfritz
I never thought I'd say this, but Bloody Piss sounds damn good.

The Iced Earth Thread
Quote by MetalMessiah665
In angels holocust i don't really like it cause then you can barely hear the guitar. They should have made the chanting a little quieter

I think that's what they were going for.

At least it sounds sick to me. Has such a cool feel to it.
I truly am my own redeemer
Blindly I follow none but myself
Without fear I am
Unhallowed be my name

Myself am hell and hell I shall unleash
I laugh at Thee to scorn
Mock Thy majesty
Pour forth my chalice ov victory
MetalMessiah665, you went a bit crazy triple posting back there, try not to do that .

INDUSTRIALMETAL I can sort of see where your coming from, but not really it depends on what albums / song you listen too. And the reason I love this band is because they are very consistent while over their career have changed up a fair bit. (compared to say Suffocation or Megadeth).

Slayer224, they have tonnes of good songs to learn (I'm gonna get a Guitar to learn some, as well as write some stuff - I'm a Bassist), some fun ones are "Stormrider" "Dragon's Child" (the chorus is great) "1776" (great lead stuff, some may be challenging) & "Colours" (the pre-song is a good acoustic one to learn its called "Enter the Realm" and leads straight into Colours).

And then the rest of their good songs / with cool riffs are rather long songs with a lot of fast galloping etc and aren't really 'solo' focused and more lead focused.

Axis Of Evil I think thats why the band (mainly Jon) wasn't completely happy with the DVD and wanted to have a go at editing it.
Quote by Kepulix
Quote by Monkey_Bassist
MetalMessiah665, you went a bit crazy triple posting back there, try not to do that .

INDUSTRIALMETAL I can sort of see where your coming from, but not really it depends on what albums / song you listen too. And the reason I love this band is because they are very consistent while over their career have changed up a fair bit. (compared to say Suffocation or Megadeth).

Slayer224, they have tonnes of good songs to learn (I'm gonna get a Guitar to learn some, as well as write some stuff - I'm a Bassist), some fun ones are "Stormrider" "Dragon's Child" (the chorus is great) "1776" (great lead stuff, some may be challenging) & "Colours" (the pre-song is a good acoustic one to learn its called "Enter the Realm" and leads straight into Colours).

And then the rest of their good songs / with cool riffs are rather long songs with a lot of fast galloping etc and aren't really 'solo' focused and more lead focused.

Axis Of Evil I think thats why the band (mainly Jon) wasn't completely happy with the DVD and wanted to have a go at editing it.

srry
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
Quote by Slayer224
Hey guys, whats a good Iced Earth song to learn on guitar?

Pure Evil and Iced Earth are the best ones to learn imo.
Quote by Slayer224

Travel In Stygian and Burnt Offerings.
I've found Jesus
Quote by Slayer224

The solos in dante's inferno are really cool but the 2nd one's really hard to play just right and the first one's really easy. Damien's also good and the hunter is too
Quote by dminishedthingy

Quote by \Powerslave/

Quote by \Powerslave/

ololololololol

JOIN THE NEKROGESTAPO!
I brought the Alive in Athens DVD two weekends back.

First off, it was freaking long and the longest I sat on the couch listening to music since Dream Theater (and I brought Score on that day too).

But it was good so it was worth it. Little audio problems doesn't bother me much.
Matt Barlow is the only singer who matters. I mean, Owens is alright, but Barlow is ace, and his booming tenor voice soothes my soul.
The thing is that Owens joins legendary bands who happened to have Legendary Singers and he just doesnt fit. He is a very good singer , nobody can say otherwise but the choices he makes about joining a band are false.
I'm seeing Iced earth again this year in rockwave festival in greece. I want to see the difference between 1999 and 2007.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
^Your right on there Necrolust, Tim Owens is an excellent singer with amazing power and control, its just comparitively (to Rob Halford & Matt Barlow) he may in some peoples opinions fall short (if he joined a band with a shit vocalist he would blow the fans away ).

Thats good news that your gonna see them again (I can't wait till their next tour ), especially since they will have a relatively new line-up since Alive in Athens.

Anyway to stray away from the typical vocalist discussions, what style does everyone prefer
-
in regard to the "old" Instrumental based song structure, with the eerie leads and very rhythm based riffing
- compared to -
the newer more melodic, theme based and lyrical 'imagery' focused?? And why do you like / not like a particular style??

*oh and don't make new Iced Earth threads please, its enough trouble trying to keep it on recent pages
Quote by Kepulix
I don't know which style I prefer. Both of them kind of fit with the theme of the albums they are used on. I like the style of "Stormrider" and "Waterloo" equally and they differ alot!
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
I was blown away by the riffing on Horror Show, that album is totally wicked! The guitar playing is almost prog-like, but it's still totally trashy and totally metal.
Other than that I also liked the more simplistic aprouch seen on the Dark Saga album, those are probably my most favourite efforts of the band so far (and I have an itching feeling it'll stay that way).
I like their early stuff a little bit more than the simplistic stuff from DS and SWTWC, but it is all kickass. And they have progressed through a few different styles during their career as a band. What do you think the new album will be like, will it be like one of the previous styles or something completely new and different?
Quote by Monkey_Bassist

Anyway to stray away from the typical vocalist discussions, what style does everyone prefer
-
in regard to the "old" Instrumental based song structure, with the eerie leads and very rhythm based riffing
- compared to -
the newer more melodic, theme based and lyrical 'imagery' focused?? And why do you like / not like a particular style??

I think the lyrical "imagery" that they had on The Glorious Burden was kind of ridiculous; who wants to hear a history factsheet being sung out in a metal song?
Quote by Charlatan_001
I think the lyrical "imagery" that they had on The Glorious Burden was kind of ridiculous; who wants to hear a history factsheet being sung out in a metal song?

lol I used to be in a history metal band, we pwned ballsack

History is more metal than most things

Apart from aerospace engineering mwahaha
Quote by Charlatan_001

Me.

I love when metal songs depict great battles and stuff like that.

For example - Iron Maiden's Paschendale.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~