Page 4 of 214
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
Man, I want a Two Rock

Oh jeez i saw that on his blog a few days ago. That is absolutely amazing. And the improv he does is so cool. I love that song, I just wish i could play it like him. And the tone of that amp is killer. So smooth and sexy. I wonder what one of those would go for.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
"Gravity" in Miami. January 26, 2007. So many different styles and moods in one song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeRaUjTBuv0

I'm seeing him tomorrow in Pensacola, or today depending on your time zone. My girlfriend and I went and saw the ATL show at the fall tour and we had pretty shitty seats, but her mom hooked us up for this one. We're section 2 on the floor, so it's gonna be grand.
I ****in love John Mayer. I have his new album. Pretty nice. I heard about him because he was born in my hometown
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
how does he get that violin sound (like reverse guitar), it seems digital cause it responds to his playing, he says all his pedals are rather cheap so I'm hoping this is one of them.
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Whats that? The reverse guitar thing. Is that right hand-left hand? Lol. Im a ****in n00b.
Ballz On Parade
Here's the review I wrote for the show that's hitting the press this week.

John Mayer’s winter tour stopped in Pensacola, Florida on January 29, 2007. My girlfriend’s mother got us floor seats as a Christmas present, so it was pretty much decided that we’d be missing a class or two to attend.
The opener was a fellow from Spain named Josh Rouse, whose acoustic-groove music was a guarantee to strike a chord with fans of the headliners earlier work. The crowd seemed to enjoy what the guy offered up, and he had my head bobbing along. His set only lasted about thirty minutes, but the last song was still greeted with a cheer that was more “Bring on Mayer,” than “Go, Josh Rouse!”
The civic center’s lights went dark and Mayer’s band took the stage. The core unit consisted of David “Dela” LaBruyere on bass, both David Ryan Harris and Robbie McIntosh on guitar, and J.J. Jackson on drums. The lights came up to Jackson smoking a cigarette and pounding out the beat to the tune “Vultures.” He looked so cool that I finally understood what peer pressure was all about. Mayer took to the stage and the show really began.
After the first song, the set took on an alternating old/new format, with Mayer bringing out his electric guitar for songs from “Continuum”, “Try!”, and “Heavier Things”, and then switching to his acoustic for his earlier material from “Room For Squares.” He was definitely making an effort to not alienate any group of his fans.
Highlights of the night came late in the set and in the encore. “Gravity” was perfect, and is the pinnacle of Mayer’s experiments with the combination of blues and pop music. His guitar playing was melodic, fierce, and a gut punch to anyone with an ear. For “I’m Gonna Find Another You” Mayer let Harris and McIntosh take extended solos and showed off some of his own playing that sounded like he had been studying B.B. King’s “Live at the Regal.”
For the encore Mayer brought out his acoustic, and McIntosh came out with a resonator guitar to play slide on “Your Body Is a Wonderland,” which he introduced with a “Back to the Future” reference (“This is an oldie, well it’s an oldie where I come from&rdquo. That put my girlfriend in an infinitely better mood seeing as how many of her favorite tunes were not performed on this night. Immediately following that was a performance of “Clarity” that had the entire band jumping.
The closer for the night was “In Repair,” which is harmonically designed to be an end-of-the-show anthem. Mayer let it all out on this one, unabashedly letting out the Stevie Ray Vaughan licks he’d been holding in all night. The song featured a fake ending, with Jackson bringing the beat down and revving the band right back up for two more verses. The song ended, the band left, and the crowd reflected on what they had just witnessed.
All in all, it was a great show, and the next stop that is closest to Auburn would be in Huntsville on Monday, February 5. I walked away from this show with a refreshed view on my own guitar playing, and I may have seen Jessica Simpson. No one believes me, but I swear to God it was her.
Shit, I wouldn't blame you guys if you didn't read that. I don't know html so I can't get it to indent correctly.
Hey, nice review by the way, but did David Ryan Harris by chance play any of his tunes? Or was he just apart of Mayer's band?
No, he just handled the backup backup vocals for the most part. He and John had a little rhythm duel on "Vultures" that was pretty sweet.
Quote by Quoteman
how does he get that violin sound (like reverse guitar), it seems digital cause it responds to his playing, he says all his pedals are rather cheap so I'm hoping this is one of them.

anyone...
Current Rig>>Jackson Phil Collin Signature Guitar/Ibanez Artcore>>>Modded Dunlop Crybaby>>>TS-9DXModded>>>Rat kit>>Octavia>>CE-20>>DD-7>>>Musicaman HD-120
Hey sweet review there. I like how you wrote through your own feelings and what you thought of the show. Its like a story was being told, yet it showed what the show was like in a review kind of way. Very good.

And to quoteman, I dont know.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Quote by Quoteman

Probably a volume swell, just hit a note with your guitar volume knob all the way down then raise your volume.
If you mean this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Edjvh2I6Xs
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Last edited by The Master Plan at Jan 31, 2007,
Quote by soda18
John Mayer rocks! can't wait to see him here in NYC!

Your gonna love it, I'm sure you've heard of how amazing his live shows are and in NYC, excellent. I use to live in Jersey so I was there all the time, what venue?
Hes goin to NYC? I live pretty close.
Ballz On Parade
Quote by crash 2.0
Hes goin to NYC? I live pretty close.

tickets are almost sold out man.. you should check out ebay if you want hot seats.. look
He's a good blues guitarist. He can't sing blues very well. His voice just isn't suited for it. I like him though. Agreed, he does need to give up the pop. I love his cover of Bold as Love.

I caught a couple of B.B. King techniques in there. The slide down from the 17th fret on the high e.
Quote by soda18
tickets are almost sold out man.. you should check out ebay if you want hot seats.. look

**** it. I heard its on a week day. I have school. And my teacher hates John Mayer. You should hear him bag on some guitarists. He says John is a pop guitarist not a very good blues guitarist. I think he said the only good white guy who can play the blues nowadays is Kenny Wayne Shepherd. And he said that eddie van halen is an asshole when it comes to the guitar. I forgot his reasonings but he said that randy rhoads is like 11x times better and I totally agree.
Ballz On Parade
Quote by Quoteman

if you're talking about the sound on "I don't trust myself", then this is the pedal you want:

Electro-Harmonix - POG Polyphonic Octave Generator

You can see it in his pedal line-up here.
epiphone dot
fender strat w/texas specials
epiphone ej-200ce
vox wah
ibanez ts9
menatone howie
boss dd6
fender 65 twin
Quote by SuburbanCowboy
When he plays pure blues I think he's amazing. But those f*cking cheesy ballad songs just keep coming. He'll never be a true bluesman, since he's obviously still milking the pop crap so little girls come to his concert and cry. What a waste of a genuinely talent player.
I agree. Mayer actually has real guitar chops (which saying alot, seeing that most pop musicians can't play any instruments), and Try showed actual growth as a musician. But he seems to want to make more bland ballads, than actual blues. And the record company wouldn't want to see an artist that has made so much revenue for them take an actuall risk.
Quote by TUMFP
^Ever think he is playing from "his" heart...not yours nor the record exec.

i'm a loyal fan of mayer but the cold hard truth is that he can't play real blues... his records whould not sell. He is better of mixing blues and pop. He even said it somewhere in an interview I gotta look for it.
Last edited by soda18 at Feb 5, 2007,
Quote by soda18
i'm a loyal fan of mayer but the cold hard truth is that he can't play real blues... his records would not sell. He is better of mixing blues and pop. He even said it somewhere in an interview I gotta look for it.

Ya and thats who John Mayer is. Just because hes not EXACTLY like SRV doesnt mean that he sucks. In fact, hes one of the best guitarists out there. Its his live stuff that really makes him amazing. He has such passion and he solos for like 5 minutes at a time. Sure hes not true blues, but thats who he is. You dont get mad at someone because they dont play your type of music, do you?
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Anyone mind tabbing out the full version of Slow Dancing In A Burning Room? Thanks! >.<
Quote by justin_fraser
You dont get mad at someone because they dont play your type of music, do you?

No, but i would tend to get mad at someone who claimed to play my type of music and claimed to be the only person that could bring it back, then played pop.

I'm not saying i'm "mad" at John Mayer, i'm just putting some food for thought out there.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
^ Seems to make sense to me.
Ballz On Parade