Page 5 of 214
That should be good, and I guess supposedly he is not wasting any time with it either. From what I know, he's throwing down the works already, when not touring.
Ya, I find the Trio is some of his best work. The most bluesy and upbeat stuff. Pino and Steve are amazing too. Best in the business those 3. But I wonder what they feel like being in a band named after the lead singer and guitar player. Like they dont get enough recognition. They should name the band something cooler. Like Pino Palladino has the coolest name, so why not that? Oh well, long live the Trio!
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
Wasn't continuum technically the Trio? I thought all the tracks were recorded with Pino and Steve, but i could be wrong.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Yea thats what I heard.
http://uncyclopedia.org/wiki/John_Mayer
meh?
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
Quote by TNfootballfan62
Wasn't continuum technically the Trio? I thought all the tracks were recorded with Pino and Steve, but i could be wrong.

He's said that he doesn't consider it a Trio record because of all the extra instrumentation with horns and whatnot. That's not to say that every trio album has to be a live album, but it will probably be four tracks (guitar, vocal, bass, drums).
Quote by TNfootballfan62

Yeah. All of the tracks had the same guys from the trio playing the same instruments. I was a little confused myself. You can check in the album booklet. In the credits. It says it
Ballz On Parade
Part of the Emo Dies in 2007 club, PM DownInAHole. or cockzit to join
Quote by TUMFP
plus...didn't he write the songs for continuum? (most) and then on Try! they all wrote the new songs

He wrote all the songs on Continuum, and his first two records for that matter (with the exception of a few off of Room For Squares being co-written with buddy Clay Cook). And all the songs on Try! were written by him, except the two covers obviously.

His touring band for Continuum consists of long-time members, Dela and JJ Johnson too.
hes the next guitar legend.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr
He wrote all the songs on Continuum, and his first two records for that matter (with the exception of a few off of Room For Squares being co-written with buddy Clay Cook). And all the songs on Try! were written by him, except the two covers obviously.

His touring band for Continuum consists of long-time members, Dela and JJ Johnson too.

ya i believe Steve Jordan is now playing with Clapton's backing band...and JJ Johnson is playing with him now again. Didn't JJ play in the original on 'Room For Squares'
Steve Jordan is awesome.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Quote by WyldeGibsonPlyr

The one song on Continuum he didn't write is "Bold as Love." And on Try!, Don't Mayer, Jordan, and Palladino all have writing credits for most of the songs?

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
What did you guys think of the performance last night? As usual, Mayer rips through a new beautiful show. I really liked the whole of it with Legend and Rae, I think it was really a class showing of musicianship.
Yea I just saw it on youtube, I believe he's been wanting to play with her for sometime on his blog.
Amp:
Fender Blues Jr (GH1230 Celestion Speaker)
Pedals
Barber DD
Wilson WH-10 Clone
Ibanez WH10 V2

Pitchblack Tuner
Boss DD-3
Guitars: 06' Custom Fender Strat Lindy Fralin Blues Specials, Callaham Tremolo
09' Olympic White Stratocaster
well i thought the grammy summed up my feelings on Mayer entirely....

Best POP Vocal Album
Quote by TNfootballfan62
The one song on Continuum he didn't write is "Bold as Love." And on Try!, Don't Mayer, Jordan, and Palladino all have writing credits for most of the songs?

Well I hoped most would reconize that wasnt his. And as far as I know, the songs off of Try! are his, exluding the two covers obviously.

As far as the Grammy's go, well im glad to see him take home two of his five. I really thought he deserved Album of the Year, and thats not just cause im a Mayer fanatic. It truely is a golden jem, no matter what genre of music you choose to classify it as, its good. I personally believe the Dixie Chicks only got most of there awards because of there currently popularity in pop culture and there "political" stance, you know? There album is okay, hell Mayer is even on two tracks, but its really not all that.

Stadium Arcadium got old way too fast, personally. But it was the Grammy's, a band like the Chili Peppers are always going to win. It was cool to see Try! even get nominated, but would have been cooler if it actually won. And I dont really know how Dylan beat John for Best Rock Vocal, but thats alright.

The Mayer-Legend-Rae perfomance I thought was very good, three musicians I really enjoy. It was really one of the only good performances of the night, that and the Smokey and Lionel one too. Rascal Flatts sucks, and still sucked, wow.

By the way, I picked up a show of John's from 12/29/04 from Webster Hall in New York. I'll try and find the link to download the torrent, cause its quite a show im sure most of you will enjoy. It was under the Trio, but I believe its just John and his band at the time (with a killer horn section, that is). Here's the setlist:
-Aint Gonna Give Up On Love.
-Come Back to Bed.
-Empty Arms.
-I'll Play the Blues For You.
-Im Tore Down.
-Killing Floor (featuring Hubert Sumlin).
-Stormy Monday (featuring Hubert Sumlin).
-Shake, Rattle, Roll.
-Rainy Day, Dream Away.
-Machine Gun/Voodoo Chile jam.

Its sick stuff, fella's.
So I just found out yesterday that John is coming to Winnipeg. You guys have no idea how excited I was, and still am (well you likely do, but hey ). I have never been to a big show with someone of Mayer's status. I just hope tickets dont sell out to fast, cause Im at school when they go on sale. As soon as I get home tomorrow, Im on the phone .
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
^have your parents order them for you (getting a little sneaky, of course) or, if you have a credit card, hide in the bathroom and call and order them.

EDIT: wait, they go on sale today? your post is at 12:10; well, good luck
WOOOT!! My mom doesnt have a credit card but my bro lives in winnipeg (about an hour from here) so he picked up a pair. Oh I am so psyched on this. Its not till april 26 but still, this is awesome.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Quote by TUMFP
Congrats, you will love the show.

Oh Im sure I will. His live stuff is amazing from what Ive heard (and seen on dvds). Now for the long wait of 2 and a half months
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

Screaming Help
Does anyone know where I can find tabs for the Continuum album? Jmtabs haven't posted any yet and UG's aren't that good.
LOL
Quote by DownInAHole.
Does anyone know where I can find tabs for the Continuum album? Jmtabs haven't posted any yet and UG's aren't that good.

The official tab book is coming out soon.
^One tab book actually woth getting. Actually though I have had luck with the tabs on UG, they are good guidelines for you to play around with and find the right notes.
Yeah John is a pretty decent guitar player. He also stole the music from Curtis Mayfields "People Get Ready" and put it in his "waiting on the world to change" if you listen to Curtis's song it is exactly the same as Mr. Mayer's and that kind've makes me wonder what all else he stole. The only thing he did was change around the words, and added a chorus.
Quote by jamey_270
Yeah John is a pretty decent guitar player. He also stole the music from Curtis Mayfields "People Get Ready" and put it in his "waiting on the world to change" if you listen to Curtis's song it is exactly the same as Mr. Mayer's and that kind've makes me wonder what all else he stole. The only thing he did was change around the words, and added a chorus.

Live vid of Mayfield playing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQqTxK7VhSk

I have a Mayfield album or two, and had heard the comparisons to Mayfield's work, but I never knew it was one tune in question. To be honest, I was shocked by this. The chord progression is nearly the same, if not completely. But I'd still like to think his tune has a different feel to it, but at this point I think any argument I threw up would be of fanboy quality, and I don't want to be that lame. IMHO, both songs have their own spirit about them though.
You guys do realize that the I-vi-IV-I-V-vi-IV-I progression is incredibly common in all forms of music, especially in the blues/soul realm. Yes, they sound a like, but not enough to say Mayer completely stole the entire thing from Curtis. First off, "People Get Ready" is one of the greatest songs of the last century, you couldnt get away ripping it off. Second off, like I said, music is meant to be shared, and some of it is widely alike.
Yeah, the chords are very similar. But , not saying this becuase I am a huge fan of Mayer, but I really don't the songs as a whole sound alike. The guitar might, but they are different songs.
I wouldn't mind flipping through the tab book. Hopefully my local store will get a copy in.

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
i love john mayers music, both pop and blues stuff,

and to all the people on this thread saying stuff like "he sounds fake and has no emotion" and stuff, i respect your oppinion but you must remember the fact that although he may not be a "true blues" player, he is definitly opening up the mainstreams eye to blues again and is introducing a mass of new fans to such other great artists as bb king, or muddy waters, and giving new life into a genre that nowadays is so obscure, overlooked, and underrated
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
Also I think people forget that just because he doesn't follow 100% the blues standards set before him, that it is still AMAZING music.

Also guys, check out his new tour dates for this summer. He is coming back to Red Rocks here in CO, and I'm jumping on those the day they go on sale. For anyone looking for a show, I'm just sending a heads up.
Quote by TUMFP
Do you happen to know the official release date? I couldn't find it anywhere.

I couldnt find it either.
im good friends with john mayer, ill can ask him to make a video teching how to play all his songs.
wait a minute, i just made that up, sorry.