EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
to start shredding? at what age, and how long had you played?
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
-[NiL]-
-[NiL]-ionaire
372 IQ
That depends on what you call shredding.

You see bro, I still don't know much about theory, but I was able to play quickly within a year. Some people will tell me what I'm doing isn't shredding, because I can't tell what scale or mode my solos are based on.

So, with what I call shredding.... One year into my playing. My age was sixteen.
broken_leg
152 IQ
im 20 and i been playin just about 2 years and i can do basic shredding, like playin fast solos that are too complicated and stuff like that. but yeah also depends what you define as shredding.
PM me if you want to join the broken_leg fan club, currently 352435 members, dont miss out
metal_man12
butt secks bandit
158 IQ
most of the pros practice for 2 or 3 years before they really get their technique down.
and thats 2-3 years of earnest practice.
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by metal_man12
most of the pros practice for 2 or 3 years before they really get their technique down.
and thats 2-3 years of earnest practice.

Multiply that by a factor of about 5.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
eXor
(sp)?
1,829 IQ
[quote="'-[NiL"]-']That depends on what you call shredding.

You see bro, I still don't know much about theory, but I was able to play quickly within a year. Some people will tell me what I'm doing isn't shredding, because I can't tell what scale or mode my solos are based on.

So, with what I call shredding.... One year into my playing. My age was sixteen.
That's just wanking
EZLN libertad
Pisser of cute avatars
1,944 IQ
i guess im asking about the straight up speed, not the technicality
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
Matt_Malmsteen
Shred n00b
363 IQ
Well, any idiot can play fast.

But when you start talking about playing at speed cleanly with good technique that's more about shredding, of course you need some theory in there too.

And I can't "shred".
'If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch you must first invent the Universe' - Carl Sagan.
TheUltimateSin
Guitar Padawan
510 IQ
Well, first, you have to get a green shoe. Then you have to paint the laces with yellow polkadots and thenput the shoe on. Next, while eating a pastry(flavor doesn't matter), you have to gargle salt water and paint the Mona Lisa. And....you don't have a large block of ice do you? Well......you could probably get away with just using and empty keg I guess...but you'll be able to shred after that. That's the easy way....

...........Or, you could do it the other way and devote years of practicing and developing technique and playing clean, while working on your speed.
Quote by Resiliance
I'm more of a hermafrodite guy.

Quote by apocalypse13
Lolz

/ultimatesin = genius]

[/really super obvious]

Original creator of the Resi Signal(s)
Only old shred forum regs get it

Some MP3's from me.

My Videos

Click for awesomeness
paddyo
?
340 IQ
^Yes.

And no I can't shred. I can play decently fast most of the time...That's not what we're talking about here though.
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
fondeedoodle
929 IQ
what songs would yous reccomend to get better at it?
PROUD MEMBER OF THE

Ug Irish Clan - Pog mo Thoin
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
A song you think you'll never be able to play.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Click.
Cheesepuff
i <3 you
2,386 IQ
Quote by Resiliance
A song you think you'll never be able to play.

Aww man... now u just made me wanna learn scarified.....
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
Quote by Cheesepuff
Aww man... now u just made me wanna learn scarified.....

What bad can come of it?

Gogogogogo.

Click.