Page 1 of 2
AMGram
UG Senior Member
434 IQ
What do you think of them compared to Dream Theater? Some songs are an aquired taste, but I think John Petrucci makes both bands sound similar. His playing may be more pronounced or just plain weird in Liquid Tension Experiment, any thoughts?
lit1219
301 IQ
I love both bands, (and the funny thing is i was listening to LTE when i came across this thread) but i cant choose which i like more. Petrucci is a true guitarist.
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
IMO Liquid Tension Experiment > Dream Theater

Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I haven't really listened to Liquid Tension Experiment before.

They sound interesting, considering who is in the band.

Any recommendations?

Basically three of the four members our from Dream Theater(Well Rudess joined DT after LTE came out). Think prog mixed with fusion.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

garden of grey
Banned
348 IQ
I used to think LTE were a different prog band with different members than DT lol. I liked both of them though (still do)
BigFatSandwich
occasional poster
1,451 IQ
LTE is a little bit more... out there.
Banging on a trash can
Drumming on a street light
Stratmaster69
DT+LTE 4 LIFE!!
183 IQ
i like dream theater more than LTE but both are amazing but as you said before LTE has some songs that are definitly an aquired taste, where as i own 7 DT albums and have yet to find a song i didnt like right off the bat
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
xxdarrenxx
UG Fanatic
1,654 IQ
Dream theater keeps it more metal as liquid tension are pushing the boundaries of virtuosity, strangness, richness and sound. Not saying dream theater doesn't do that stuff, but i think liquid tension is an outlet for them where by dream theater is just a band.

A bit like my own situation I guess, maybe Im wrong. But i;m in a rockband for playing live with a band, where as with some other musicians we are really pushing boundaries as far as our techniques and musical tastes allow us.

Musical wise - liquid tension

Bandwise - dream theater

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Resiliance
Acta est fabula
449 IQ
LTE kicks DT's ass.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Talon6
Is a Drummer
55 IQ
DT is my favorite band, but I often find that I like LTE more than DT. Probably because they're pretty much the same, only without James LaBrie. Don't know how much input Levin and Myung have.
Bodies.
Kris_man
623 IQ
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
I haven't really listened to Liquid Tension Experiment before.

They sound interesting, considering who is in the band.

Any recommendations?

Yeah bro:

Fast/loud songs: Acid Rain, Paradigm Shift, Universal Mind, Another Dimension, Kindred Spirits

Slower more mellow stuff: Osmosis, Hourglass, Biaxident

You can't go too wrong with LTE; awesome band. I love Dream Theater but I think Liquid Tension Experiment just take the cake. Petrucci's best work was done with them. Also, Dream Theater sound at times like they're trying to fit into the metal genre (eg, "Lie"), and it sounds a bit unnatural. I don't get that vibe with LTE, with them it's just free musical expression.
Talon6
Is a Drummer
55 IQ
When the Water Breaks and Another Dimension are my personal favorites.

The first five tracks of LTE 2 are the greatest 40 minutes of instrumental metal ever recorded.
Bodies.
6DOIT
Midway Creature
893 IQ
Quote by Talon6
DT is my favorite band, but I often find that I like LTE more than DT. Probably because they're pretty much the same, only without James LaBrie. Don't know how much input Levin and Myung have.

Umm myung is not involved with LTE.... And Rudess wasnt in DT at the time. The point was for Petrucci and Portnoy to kick musical @$$!!! Just Because we got an incredible keyboardist out of the ordeal, i still dont think of as being basically DT with out a singer.
Hot Pants
Get Out Of My Yard
314 IQ
When the water breaks has gotta be close to Mike's best drumming efforts and probably one of petrucci's greatest, especially creatively speaking.

Love them both. Both up top in the fave bands.
"I feel sorry for James Blunt, he has to wake up every morning and think 'Ah man, I'm James Blunt'"
Tantalus
1,404 IQ
Both are absolutely amazing.

I think that both Levin and Myung are absolutely amazing. The main difference between the bands is that LTE is much jazzier, and a lot of their music (with the exception of When The Water Breaks) is jammed instead of composed.
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"
Stratmaster69
DT+LTE 4 LIFE!!
183 IQ
its hard to believe that LTE wrote acid rain in less than 2 hours, like thats a pretty amazing and complex song
member of the "proud owner of an Ibanez club" PM goldbuddist to join!

gear:
Deluxe Players Fender Stratocaster
Ibanez RG320FM
Standard Stratocaster
Fender FM212R
Digitech RP400
get-born
Illegal in 37 States...
2,096 IQ
I like LTE, but I really don't think they match up with Dream Theater. Acid Rain is one of the greatest album openers I have ever heard.
bbqBBking
UG Newbie
278 IQ
Anyone looking for reccomendations, just buy both albums.
I once had a sparrow alight upon my shoulder for a moment, while I was hoeing in a village garden, and I felt that I was more distinguished by that circumstance than I should have been by any epaulet I could have worn.
Talon6
Is a Drummer
55 IQ
Quote by 6DOIT
Umm myung is not involved with LTE....

Yes, I know; the only member difference between DT and LTE during the writing process at this point is Myung vs Levin. I was comparing how much influence they each have on their respective groups.

Quote by 6DOIT
And Rudess wasnt in DT at the time.

He didn't join because of Liquid Tension Experiment, he joined because they weren't content with Sherinian. Rudess even played a show or two as a hired hand on the Awake tour as a hired gun before Sherinian came around. That was when their ideas started circulating with each other.

You've watched the Five Years in a LIVETime DVD commentary, right? It's all explained there.
Bodies.
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Liquid Tension Experiment 3??? If so I would be insanely stoked.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_releases/liquid_tension_experiment_3_is_possible.html
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
^Awesome!
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
SnowballofDoom
UG's Pity Friend
13 IQ
Quote by Talon6
He didn't join because of Liquid Tension Experiment, he joined because they weren't content with Sherinian. Rudess even played a show or two as a hired hand on the Awake tour as a hired gun before Sherinian came around. That was when their ideas started circulating with each other.

You've watched the Five Years in a LIVETime DVD commentary, right? It's all explained there.

DT was never discontent with Derek...

"All four of us really admire Derek and like him as a person, but it was really just a business decision. It was more about what was right about Jordan, as opposed to what was wrong about Derek. We decided that Jordan was what we wanted and where we wanted to take the band in the future. After John P and I worked with him, we thought "why should we work with him part-time? Let's work with him full-time." And it wasn't out of disrespect to Derek, it was just what we thought was better for the band. "

http://www.mikeportnoy.com/about/mpfaq/showquestion.asp?menu=about&faq=1&fldAuto=460
Quote by Resiliance
I ain't dissin' ya bro.

I be doin' some 'o dat sarcasm **** right thurr.
6DOIT
Midway Creature
893 IQ
We listened to LTE 2 in my Mechanical Drawing class yesterday!!!!! Everyone was like WTF.......This one girl was like"You buy cds without singing?"......But after she got over that she said it was actually kinda cool.......i was like air guitaring with my 4H pencil...................YAY!!!! listened to When the water breaks first.................My tech teacher was a music major first..........thats why i got away with it...........i got him interested by talking about the chapman stick..........anyway thats my story.........sorry about my...................punctuation..
Baroque_and_Rol
UG's Giant Stepper
615 IQ
^ Nice! We listened to Malmsteen's Concierto Suite in my Music Theory class along time ago.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by 6DOIT
We listened to LTE 2 in my Mechanical Drawing class yesterday!!!!! Everyone was like WTF.......This one girl was like"You buy cds without singing?"......But after she got over that she said it was actually kinda cool.......i was like air guitaring with my 4H pencil...................YAY!!!! listened to When the water breaks first.................My tech teacher was a music major first..........thats why i got away with it...........i got him interested by talking about the chapman stick..........anyway thats my story.........sorry about my...................punctuation..

4H That's the lighter(not counting number) of the two different pencils correct?
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

lobster624
stop that
245 IQ
someone on the first page said LTE was for portnoy and petrucci to kick ass...i read that portnoy didnt have petrucci on the top of his list at first
i also read that dimebag was almost guitarist for LTE
and i'm pretty sure portnoy wanted to recruit rudess for DT
and on a side note i'm also pretty sure a lot of LTE is improv.

both bands kick ass BTW but i'd say i like LTE more
[22:33] ben: Yesterday I was gonna eat a shitload of candy but I forgot.
6DOIT
Midway Creature
893 IQ
Quote by Godly Moose
4H That's the lighter(not counting number) of the two different pencils correct?

yup........there is a lighter 6h tho too...............if by two different you mean 4h and HB.....
Godly Moose
Co-Producer Speed Weed
680 IQ
Quote by 6DOIT
yup........there is a lighter 6h tho too...............if by two different you mean 4h and HB.....

Yeah I took an art class for two semesters. I forgot what was what.
              ┌────────────┐
            |  Jet fuel     |
            |  Can't melt    |
            |  Steel Beams  |
            └─────┰──────┘

"putnamehere"
Jazz and Metal Enthusiast
305 IQ
The opening of Paradigm Shift blew my mind. I'm downloading both of their albums as I type this.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
SGRocker0791
Banned
462 IQ
Amazing band, they are. More reasons why I say Petrucci is a guitar god.
justine0393
UG's UGer
68 IQ
Quote by Stratmaster69
its hard to believe that LTE wrote acid rain in less than 2 hours, like thats a pretty amazing and complex song

wtf! you serious?!?!?!?
"putnamehere"
Jazz and Metal Enthusiast
305 IQ
Quote by justine0393
wtf! you serious?!?!?!?

I think he means it the other way around.
Known.
Some.
Call.
Is.
Air.
Am?

Incoherent - yes.
Without meaning - I'm afraid not.

"Known some call is air am."
Which is to say-

"I am not what I used to be"
Maet
906 IQ
I like LTE more than DT. Due in large part for the fact that LaBrie has an annoying voice at times.

Paradigm Shift and Biaxident are my favourites. I'm actually a fan of the DT instrumentals over the vocal stuff. Stream Of Consciousness, Erotomania, Overture 1928, etc.
Witch-king
Dio
790 IQ
Quote by Maet
I like LTE more than DT. Due in large part for the fact that LaBrie has an annoying voice at times.

same here, except id go so far as to say i hate the DT singer and he ruins the band for me.

615 IQ
Quote by Witch-king
same here, except id go so far as to say i hate the DT singer and he ruins the band for me.

Am I the only person on this thread who digs La Bries voice?
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong