Page 1 of 2
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
hey,
i have a fender usa stratocaster, olympic white, maple neck and i'm bored with it's appearance, i really like relic guitars (when done well) and i wondered if i could get mine to look like John Frusciante's white '62 stratocaster he uses in the dani california video. so how might i go about doing that? any tips?

thanks
www.myspace.com/fuelfortiredminds

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Line 6 Tonecore Verbzilla
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
Generalpwnt
Righteous
1,727 IQ
How to relic a guitar:
1) Build a machine that makes whatever inside of it go age faster. Think of it as an inside out time machine.
2) Place guitar inside machine.
3) Rinse and repeat.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
Owned
UG Fanatic
737 IQ
well, the main areas of wear would be where your forearm rests when playing and above the pickguard where the pick scratches off the finish, i'm sure you can find something using google.
peever
368 IQ
belt buckles are how the fender custom shop does it
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
^belt buckles, what just wacking them against the body?. thanks, any other tips?

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
breadstick
Stop that. Now.
2,150 IQ
why would you ruin an american strat on purpose!?! (collapses in violent spasm)
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
^i don't want to ruin it lol. just want to make it cooler
i dont want to over do it, just have a few chips/scrathes here and there

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
johnos
641 IQ
maybe you should buy a cheapo guitar to practise on ebfore you go and potentially mess up a very expensive guitar
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
^but it's not the same with cheap guitars, cos the paint/finish can be easily chipped/scrathed off, unlike my my strat, which has like six layers of of different coloured coatings.

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
vanzant38
164 IQ
I just don't get it. I know what it is. I know what it's called. I just don't get it.

Adios.
thedonutman
2,676 IQ
to remove big layers of paint, like eric clapton's blackie for example, you can use a belt sander, but use high grit belts, and dont press too hard or you will reshape the wood which might be bad

anyway, IMHO, unless you are directly copying a "reliced" instrument scratch for scratch, like jaco's jazz bass or blackie, I think the whole relic thing is a bit cheesy.
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
^Don't use a belt sander.

Just chip bits off the paint with a bunch of keys, maybe use some wire wool to dull down the finish in some places.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
thanks for comments so far, but just in case it goes horribly wrong, how much would it cost me to get it completely (professionally) re-stored/repainted/re-finished?

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
Last edited by ezequiel89 at Dec 18, 2006,
notsojoeyb4eva
UG Senior Member
772 IQ
Why not keep the thing for about 25 years, do rigurous violent giging, spill beer on it and play it as hard as you can for honestly the next 25 years and you'll have a bang up relic job *thumbs up*
post pictures when done lol
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Rock Savior
Call Me Ricky :)
749 IQ
I hope that we wont have to wait that long....

What kind of relic are you looking for....as there a millions of different ways....

I think the reliced fenders don't look very good....

Heres a list of things you could do....
Paint thinner to take off some paint...
keys to chip it
belt buckle
drag on concrete
soysauce on pickgaurds or bare wood
cigarette burns

theres tons of ways to do it....and the key part IMO is to be unique....
Quote by thundrstruk891
do EXACTLY what rock savior said.

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD
^^ X2,00,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
lookie here
ExpldingAstros
322 IQ
Quote by Generalpwnt
How to relic a guitar:
1) Build a machine that makes whatever inside of it go age faster. Think of it as an inside out time machine.
2) Place guitar inside machine.
3) Rinse and repeat.

TO relic it just beat the shit outta it or check out AlGeeEaters thread
Quote by rabidguitarist
I even tried dressing up as a fly myself, and throwing myself out of the window in the hope that they will follow me. But to no avail.

Quote by daytripper75
we have a Llama forum, and still no drum forum.
CorduroyEW
UG's pickup winder
3,339 IQ
I have always said that I never relic a guitar. I age it. To age a guitar and make it look real takes practice. Most poeple don't get it there 1st try so you will not want to do it on your MIA stat before you tired it on something else.

The key to aging is you take the finish off where your body come in contact with the guitar. The best way to do this is with high grit sandpaper. You can use low grit paper to get yourself most of the way there, but once the wear is starting to look close, then you need to jump to something like 400 to 600 grit and sand very lightly. Keep in mind that it's supposed to be your skin that took the finish off the guitar and your skin is very soft.

You will also need a few hard wear marks. Belt buckles on the back of the guitar work well but you will also need to get some chips where you think your guitar might bang into stuff. The best way to get these is to bang it into stuff. I like to keep the chipping to a minimum because I want the guitar to look old and used, not beat up.

You will also need to make some light serface scratches just to help everything blend together. Some of the scratching will need to be done with steel wool and some will need to be done with sand paper of variouse grits. You don't want to go over the whole guitar, just the spots that seem like the need it.
Still doing business but not taking any online orders.
ezequiel89
With Ribbons of Euphoria
243 IQ
thanks for your helpful comments, i'm actually thinking whether i should keep it how it is or relic it. i might do it but if i comes out crap, i'll have to repaint it professionally, maybe the same colour or a different colour. anyways i'm goin on holiday tomorrow morning so i won't be on here for about 10 days.

cheers.

Fender USA Stratocaster
Marshall BluesBreaker

Vox V847
MXR MC401 Boost
Roger Mayer Octavia
Zvex Fuzz Factory
Maxon OD-9
Boss Space Echo RE-20
Line 6 DL4
Boss TU-2
silverguitar
UG's Silver Guitar
58 IQ
I think you should just leave it and let it gather its scratches and chips along the way. That way it will look cooler in time but not fake, I hate seeing people buy relic guitars so people think they have been using that guitar for ages.
##I Am Making A S**tload Of Money Online!## - Click that link and I will show you how I quit my job and can now play Guitar all day! (and I can help you do it too)

I also spend far too much time shopping for new gear online haha
beggles
Thread Killer
74 IQ
throw some wet coffee on it or some hot tea bags then put a lighter to it...works with paper =D
Beggles

Quote by the humanity

if he does not post pics, he obviously has installed a pickup and bridge on his house broom for some brutal sweep picking.

TJM2482
UG Monkey
6,835 IQ
Dude do you think John Frusciante just purposely slammed his guitar with a belt? Just let it naturally wear down, your a tool if you think it's worth ****ing the body up just for it to "look cool".
ExplorerFreak
Baphomet's Horn
1,052 IQ
Quote by TJM2482
Dude do you think John Frusciante just purposely slammed his guitar with a belt? Just let it naturally wear down, your a tool if you think it's worth ****ing the body up just for it to "look cool".

Your a tool if you think that you have the right to criticise his choice of what he wants to do with his guitar.
TinTin8
452 IQ
throw it on contrete ... drag it across the road ... coffee on it ... belt slashes ... etc
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Rock Savior
749 IQ
^^(up 2)exactly....

He can do what he wants, and you can do what you want...
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

Member of the 'Guitarists Born In 1991' Club. PM greendayguitar or blues_rocker to join.
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
People have to get this into their heads.

Poly finishes don't age like nitro finishes do, so you can't wait for his Strat to relic itself.
Don't be afraid to care"

Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
4,555 IQ
don't do it like that, just let it age on its own but dont treat it like a £700 guitar like it is, treat it like you dont care about it (you obviously dont to do this ) and with time it should work, like when your playing make sure you're wearing a big ass belt buckle and stuff like that
Noverion
lemon :D
698 IQ
i find it amusing to purposely hit things with my guitar, it looks funny

but its a cheap guitar, not a bloody fender strat, keep it nice!
PSN: Noverion
woodenbandman
Likes Dragonforce
1,139 IQ
yeah.

to relic it, something i have never done, it seems like you should start by holding your guitar, wearing a big belt buckle, and find where the spots you touch are. be sure to rust the saddles and pickup covers, but don't mess with the tuners or they might not work. even if they are sealed, and are supposed to be protected, i wouldn't personally mess w/them. don;t forget the input jack, pickup magnets, and such.

leave the frets alone, but work on the fretboard with like light sandpaper or something. make sure you cover the frets so you don't f-them up. you should be able to wear down the stain on the fretboard lightly, so it looks like you played it forever.

and lightly sand with VEry light grit steel wool on the body to dull the finish, like 1500-2500. and the same with the neck. go slightly longer on the body contour, chip it, belt buckle it, and drop the body a bit. take the neck and hardware off when you drop it, and drop it on a wood or linoleum floor, unless you want to dent it.

last, soak the pickup covers and pickguard in light tea or coffee. it's a white guitar, so you don't want them too dark.

fell free to flame me if you think any of this is wrong as it is all hearsay/ common sense
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
But still, the finish won't wear easily, the belt buckle thing will just scratch the poly, not wear it down.
Don't be afraid to care"

Rock Savior
749 IQ
true, but you could just sand the poly off where you contact it, and play it for a while...

the paint will come off naturally that way...personally I'm a fan of reliced guitars, but you have to be careful that they dont look cheesy...
Quote by thundrstruk891

EXACTLY.

Quote by SGKIDD

To me

R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
^Nope, it still just puts big scratch marks and doesn't actually wear it down, I've tried it.

I've found that the best way to wear/dull down a finish is to take some wire wool to the area, 'till it's smooth and satin-like, and then rub sweat on it and it makes it a bit more shiny, so it looks like a vintage finish.

And chip random parts, then do the same, looks good.
Don't be afraid to care"

Mr.Rodgers
I could do with a
455 IQ
Quote by ezequiel89
^but it's not the same with cheap guitars, cos the paint/finish can be easily chipped/scrathed off, unlike my my strat, which has like six layers of of different coloured coatings.

Maybe there's a reason for that...
I enjoy a hearty roast dinner...

...for breakfast.
dave293
‪‪‪
480 IQ
I wouldn't try relicing a guitar with a poly finish tbh. It doesn't work the same as nitro and very rarely looks real, it's very easy to tell it was reliced.
zekk
I am me as you are we
3,438 IQ
Play the fuck out of it. Best way ever.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
zekk
I am me as you are we
3,438 IQ
Quote by R_H_C_P
But still, the finish won't wear easily, the belt buckle thing will just scratch the poly, not wear it down.

I thought all USA made fenders were nitro?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
R_H_C_P
UG's God.
1,984 IQ
Quote by zekk
I thought all USA made fenders were nitro?

Nope.

The vintage reissues and custom shop Strats use nitro though, and the highway ones use a thin coat of nitro.
Don't be afraid to care"

mEtAlORc
UG Senior Member
3,563 IQ
what does "relic a guitar" mean?
Larrivée D-03R
US Fender Telecaster, Vox AC15