PatchworkMan
UG's Wise Old Owl
1,285 IQ
Fingerstyle guitar has dwindled almost to nothing in popular music since the classic era; post about your favorite classic fingerstyle players here.

Mine:
James Taylor
Paul Simon
Lindsey Buckingham

I suppose hybrid pickers count too, in which case I might add Roger McGuin to the list.
alliwant
Mod...of LOVE
1,155 IQ
Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest! I love him so.
Quote by bjoern_swe
my mom found me sitting in the kitchen, eating Corn Flakes from the floor. when she asked me what I was doing, I just roared at her and ran up to my room.

George Foreman Grill Appreciation Society
backtothe70s
Gratch
883 IQ
Quote by alliwant
Mark Knopfler is one of the greatest! I love him so.

Knopfler IS the best!
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
John Renbourn was the best in my opinion. Davey Graham coming a close second due to the influence he had over everyone in the 60s.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
rx_eb
rawwwr
273 IQ
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Who are they?

..fingerstyle acoustic guitarists

(folk guitarists. they're amazing)
My Spanish Hearts
flambe chicken
Look Ma, No Avatar!
536 IQ
Fingerstyle = cool.
If we are talking hybrid pickers, it has to be Albert Lee (and Eric Johnson I think). Not sure if they are classic rock though.
*ponders*
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Andrewbiles
11,166 IQ
Quote by Dirk Gently
^ Who are they?

Davey Graham is probably most famous for 'Anji', which was then covered by Paul Simon, Bert Jansch and pretty much every folk artist ever. Anyway, he developed a sh*t load of techniques and styles having travelled around a lot collecting new influences.

John Renbourn was in Pentangle with Bert for a while but really showed his skills off playing solo stuff. Go on youtube and search for him, especially 'The Hermit', absolutely amazing player.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
ledhed68
1,305 IQ
o my god i can't believe Robbie Kreiger hasnt been mentioned yet, the most underrated guitarist imo, and played everything but five songs fingerstyle
jskinnirvana
UG Member
210 IQ
Robbie Kreiger of the doors band from venice featuring Jim Morrison lol.
LJS and The OwlsLucky Jimr Stonge
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
I liked George Harrison's fingerstyle guitar works.
Sent from my iPad.
Brandon860
They call me... Brough
592 IQ
I'm gonna have to go with Knopfler on this one as well, the man has one of the most unique picking style I've ever seen. No matter how hard I try I can't play with my hand like that
Quote by richwatkinson
haha You pwned an entire website....i bow down...

TheDudeBox
rocknroll blues
<3 teh fuzz
253 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
John Renbourn was the best in my opinion. Davey Graham coming a close second due to the influence he had over everyone in the 60s.

If those are in the running then I'd put forth John Fahey and Dave Bromberg.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
Blind In 1 Ear
Git-Man
2,962 IQ
clapton can play some pretty good fingerstyle blues. but he doesnt do it all the time so i dont think he counts. but yea mark knopfler is great.
PatchworkMan
UG's Wise Old Owl
1,285 IQ
Yeah, I wouldn't count Clapton since he didn't put down the flatpick until the 90's.

Jorma Kaukonen, anyone?
Sherman901
UG Senior Member
320 IQ
Mark Knopfler is amazing.
Quote by primusucks
"i am so proud that by chance i am living in a place that during a territorial divide it got the largest mass of land."

hey texas, nobody cares.
The National D
Led Zep is overrated.
273 IQ
Duane Allman played fingerstyle (but mostly with a slide).

As did Ry Cooder.

Fingerstyle slide>everything.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
VR05
Miracle Train Fan
361 IQ
Quote by PatchworkMan
Yeah, I wouldn't count Clapton since he didn't put down the flatpick until the 90's.

Jorma Kaukonen, anyone?

Haha damn, i was gonna post Jorma... his work in both Jefferson Airplane and Hot Tuna is amazing, damn great folk player, not just blues and/or rock as some people would think.
Trey is a Jedi.

Co-Founder of the Ten Years After Fan Club. PM me or TheHeartbreaker to join.

Member of the Grateful Dead Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.

Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join.
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles

Fucking right. Nobody ever talks about those guys around here. It's sickening. I actually prefer Bert Jansch in terms of ability to both those guys (saw him live in the summer and he's just awesome) but I've had the honour of meeting Davey Graham (he was drunk of course) and he's generally an awesome guy. He's pretty much the original and most influential artist of the 60s whether people realise or not.

The best fingerpickers are the country guys though. Jerry Reed is the greatest fingerpicker on the planet by rather some distance.

Check out the video on youtube of him doing the song Jerry's Breakdown with Chet Atkins. It's just unbelievable.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Barstool
Barstool
10 IQ
Alex Lifeson of RUSH I seem to remember hearing a pretty decent fingerstyle on more
than couple of there tunes!
The National D
Led Zep is overrated.
273 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
The best fingerpickers are the country guys though. Jerry Reed is the greatest fingerpicker on the planet by rather some distance.

Speaking only in terms of fingerpickers, I'd have to say Tommy Emmanuel deserves that title. That said, not even Tommy's chops can hold their own against someone who can play like Django. Fingerpickers like Reed, Knopfler or even good old Chet get blown out of the water by good gypsy jazz and classical players.
How may The National D help you waste your time?
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by The National D
Speaking only in terms of fingerpickers, I'd have to say Tommy Emmanuel deserves that title. That said, not even Tommy's chops can hold their own against someone who can play like Django. Fingerpickers like Reed, Knopfler or even good old Chet get blown out of the water by good gypsy jazz and classical players.

Well I'll agree to disagree over who's the better player between Reed and Emmanuel. But don't mention Knopfler in the same league. I like him but he's really not that good. As for Django, awesome player, but he's more renowned for his improvisation in Jazz than his fingerpicking. Jerry Reed could still outpick him any day.
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Sloopy
is classic rock.
2,622 IQ
I always thought Rodger Hodgeson was a good fingerstylists. I don't know if he counts though.
DALAI LAMA OF ZEPPELINISM

Quote by Kartman

I look up to you now. I'm serious, I have more respect for you than most Ugers!
ledhead73
Defender of Good Music
14 IQ
Somebody had to say it and I most certainly will. Jimmy Page is definitely at least worth a mention. Sure he's just a rip off of Jansch in terms of fingerstyle, but a good rip off and better arranger at that.
I am Zosoian II, Archbishop of Bron-Yr-Aur, and Cardinal of Zeppelinism.

PM TheHeartbreaker to join Zeppelinism.

Long Live the Hammer of the Gods!
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by ledhead73
Somebody had to say it and I most certainly will. Jimmy Page is definitely at least worth a mention. Sure he's just a rip off of Jansch in terms of fingerstyle, but a good rip off and better arranger at that.

Yeah you're a fool if you truly believe that. Page was a crap fingerpicker. He left out the whole verse part to Black Water Side because he couldn't play it, he could only play the chorus and without singing at the same time. And he certainly isn't a better arranger. He's just a joke really.
Quote by CornLord

ledhed68
1,305 IQ
Quote by Derigiberble
Yeah you're a fool if you truly believe that. Page was a crap fingerpicker. He left out the whole verse part to Black Water Side because he couldn't play it, he could only play the chorus and without singing at the same time. And he certainly isn't a better arranger. He's just a joke really.

In case you forgot, Page barley sang, but i agree that he really wasnt that great, but i do enjoy his fingerstyle stuff and enjoying music, and being technically talented at music are two different things
ledhead73
Defender of Good Music
14 IQ
Wow. If there is one region in which Page left the rest of his contemporaries in the dust it was his orchestration and arrangement of guitars. You say otherwise, but you are obviously suffering from either stupidity or severe repressed homoerotic feelings toward the Hammer of the Gods. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe Achilles Last Stand isn't actually an incredible demonstration of arranging and guitar prowess and maybe Ten Years Gone could have been written by a prosthetic vagina, I don't know.

I am actually quite sick and tired of coming to these boards to defend a musician whose fame, fortune, and lasting legacy speak for themselves. I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.
I am Zosoian II, Archbishop of Bron-Yr-Aur, and Cardinal of Zeppelinism.

PM TheHeartbreaker to join Zeppelinism.

Long Live the Hammer of the Gods!
rocknroll blues
<3 teh fuzz
253 IQ
Quote by ledhead73
I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.

Isn't that what you just did?

Yes, Jimmy ripped a lot of people off. He's certainly overrated. I still enjoy his playing, though, on occasion.
Peace, peace, and that's my piece.

Just another pale, skinny, noiserawkin' indie boy with tousled hair

Last.fm
Derigiberble
UG's Prosthetic Vagina
2,308 IQ
Quote by ledhead73
Wow. If there is one region in which Page left the rest of his contemporaries in the dust it was his orchestration and arrangement of guitars. You say otherwise, but you are obviously suffering from either stupidity or severe repressed homoerotic feelings toward the Hammer of the Gods. Maybe there is something wrong with me. Maybe Achilles Last Stand isn't actually an incredible demonstration of arranging and guitar prowess and maybe Ten Years Gone could have been written by a prosthetic vagina, I don't know.

I am actually quite sick and tired of coming to these boards to defend a musician whose fame, fortune, and lasting legacy speak for themselves. I've got better things to do than refute what some egotistcal asshole said about a living legend. Enough, I'm done.

You're such a deluded tit.
Quote by CornLord