Page 1 of 2
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
I skimmed through it last night on stereogum and it didn't seem overly bad this year. Usually they try to be controversial by boosting something absolutely terrible to the top or by putting something like that Justin Timberlake album at the top, but they actually dropped that this year and went slightly more serious. Although I'm not a fan of 'Silent shout' or 'Return to Cookie Mountain', a lot of people have said they love the albums, so it wasn't unexpected that they'd be in a lot of top 5s.
They could've done better, but they could've done worse.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
balltounge
Ba Ba/Ti Ki/Di Do
65 IQ
Suprised to see Boris in such a creditable position.

Pink is a smashing album though, well worthy of posi kudos.
Enjoy your worries, you may never have them again.

The Books.
bobjewell87
Cause = time
874 IQ
i don't get how they focus on 100% american indie bands like neutral milk hotel, arcade fire, decemberists et al then go and review really shit pop-rap
*Truly Ninja*
it's yours
1,648 IQ
Ghostface's "Fishscale" really should have been #1. Hands down album of the year, followed by Joanna Newsom.
c_james
44 IQ
Flaming Lips' 'At War With The Mystics' should've made that list.
cortez0
144 IQ
Where is the album of the arctic monkeys and the kooks.
robbie
Laika
473 IQ
cortez0, I believe some flamage will be making its way to you shortly, hold on tight!

As for me, the good things about this list are Tapes 'n' Tapes made it on, and Joanna Newsom got to number 3 with 'Ys'. However (and this makes this list the worst list in the history of lists) 'He Poos Clouds' (Final Fantasy) is not on it at all. It should be number one of every list. Ever. Ah well...

Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
I agree with Andrew about the TV on The radio album , sound that really disappointing.
There are definately some good albums in there. I noticed Boris and Man Man.
Jesse Wants To Die Just As Much As You Want Him Dead
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
sadly, i knew the knife would take the cake this year

that is by far the worst list pitchfork has ever put together, and that's saying a lot.
dougiecrystals
.hot.
374 IQ
Quote by bobjewell87
i don't get how they focus on 100% american indie bands like neutral milk hotel, arcade fire, decemberists et al then go and review really shit pop-rap

Because Pitchfork is like your basic hipster.

See, they want to sound like they know everything about music, so they'll criticize the really big indie bands that are really popular, they try and go for bands that no one's ever heard of and say they're amazing, and of course, so they don't seem like they're close-minded, they'll take the most popular bands in pop and rap and say their albums are great too.

Griswold
21 IQ
I think the list is perfectly respectable. They were never going to please everybody - if you don't normally agree with pitchfork then don't read it or take it seriously.

So glad they didn't predictably put the Arctic Monkey's album first, like the Guardian did.
uhh_me?
schmendrick.
3,607 IQ
Quote by *Truly Ninja*
Ghostface's "Fishscale" really should have been #1. Hands down album of the year, followed by Joanna Newsom.

Mostly agreed, I'd only swap the order

Quote by c_james
Flaming Lips' 'At War With The Mystics' should've made that list.

I think pitchfork trashed that album

Quote by starsnostars

that is by far the worst list pitchfork has ever put together, and that's saying a lot.

Can I get a follow up to why? Especially considering some off their other lists are quite shit...
xX*Zeppelin*Xx
jamming econo
1,398 IQ
I think Bonnie 'Prine' Billy - the Letting Go should have deffinitely made the list.
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
Quote by uhh_me?

Can I get a follow up to why? Especially considering some off their other lists are quite shit...

this one was worse than normal for me because it was completely predictable, and not in any sort of good way. i could have told you their top 20 without even seeing the list. and besides maybe one or two albums in the top 20, they rest have no right to even be that close.

it would be nice if pitchfork no longer cared about trying to be snobs, which any more with the internet, is no achievement, and start actually showing a new perspective towards music. there is no professionalism with pitchfork, which could be used to their advantage, if they had credibility. and in short, this simple list proved to me once and for all that pitchfork is below modern day rolling stone.

and for that, maybe they should get a medal.
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Quote by Satch_Boogie
Pitchfork lost all credibility when they flopped Damien Rice.

I don't know. "O" was a bloody masterpiece. Coming after that, "9" felt sort of like the wet patch you wake up in after a one night stand - satisfying that it's there, but you can't help feeling it was better before. They may have been somewhat justified.

But mostly, yeah, Pitchfork lose.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
Last edited by Caustic at Dec 22, 2006,
AWA
Straight gumpin'
740 IQ
I'm disappointed that they didn't include Young Machetes.
Wade in the water, child.
sponj
UG Monkey
1,243 IQ
Quote by AWA
I'm disappointed that they didn't include Young Machetes.

yeah, that album is amazing. What's Justin Timberlake doing in the list? Please Pitchfork, don't try to be "open minded"...
the heart is a risky fuel to burn
slinks
Bastard in a Basket
443 IQ
Quote by Caustic
Coming after that, "9" felt sort of like the wet patch you wake up in after a one night stand - satisfying that it's there, but you can't help feeling it was better before.

Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
I'm not sure that analogy makes complete sense and he just wanted to say something about pulling out.
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Quote by Knife2aGunFight
I'm not sure that analogy makes complete sense and he just wanted to say something about pulling out.

If you'd listened to both albums, it'd make sense.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
cortez0
144 IQ
Quote by robbie
cortez0, I believe some flamage will be making its way to you shortly, hold on tight!

As for me, the good things about this list are Tapes 'n' Tapes made it on, and Joanna Newsom got to number 3 with 'Ys'. However (and this makes this list the worst list in the history of lists) 'He Poos Clouds' (Final Fantasy) is not on it at all. It should be number one of every list. Ever. Ah well...

Why? They're awesome!
Or is pitchfork a record label and not a magazine?
robbie
Laika
473 IQ
Quote by cortez0
Why? They're awesome!
Or is pitchfork a record label and not a magazine?

I only said that because people who read and agree with Pitchfork tend to be the sort of people who won't buy any album that more than 7 other people will buy.

starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
people who agree with pitchfork buy into whatever new trend that hasn't already been exploited

people who wont buy any album that more than 7 other people will think pitchfork is shit
STRAT811
Commander Cool
1,253 IQ
Post War and Blood Mountain were way to high on the list. I would put them in the top 15 myself. Boys and Girls in America was the only one I really agreed with. What's with all the pop and rap? I also think the Bright Eyes b-sides comp should be on there.
Call me Steve. All the cool kids are doin it.
Quote by crazynickman

Step One: Wake up in the LATE AFTERNOON
Step Two: Roll around in garbage and lyrical genius
Instant Bob Dylan.
Knife2aGunFight
Good Morning Captain
761 IQ
a list without mewithoutYou's Brother sister is in fact not a list at all but a sham.
2xG
Live it.
392 IQ
I have nothing against pitchfork. It's not like they're forcing you to agree with them. Granted, some of their attitudes are kinda annoying, but they do bring attention to many artists who deserve more recognition. And that deserves a minimum of respect. You guys should all get off your high horses.

That being said, I'm not a huge fan of that list, but then, it's hard to please everyone.
starsnostars
gloommonger
1,035 IQ
^wait wait, you're saying that the pitchfork writers are victims of elitism?

wow
2xG
Live it.
392 IQ
Quote by starsnostars
^wait wait, you're saying that the pitchfork writers are victims of elitism?

wow

Where did I say that?
2xG
Live it.
392 IQ
I think you misunderstood me.

Whatever. Doesn't really matter.
HavenSake
Banned
370 IQ
Pitchfork is lame. Boris shouldn't have even been on there, Pink was released in 2005. Ministry's new album should've taken the top spot.
Andrewbiles
11,150 IQ
Went mad making this.
Quote by Mia (Pulp Fiction)
Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?

That's when you know you found somebody special. When you can just shut the f*ck up for a minute, and comfortably share silence.

RateYourMusic
robbie
Laika
473 IQ
Quote by andrewbiles
Went mad making this.

Arrrggghhh!!! I see no Final Fantasy or Joanna Newsom. I cry. .