Theres so much to learn in the world of guitar. And many great techniques and styles to practice. All the infomation to learn and how to use it.

Well that brings me to my qustion to everyone who is reading this, what have you learned recently or been working on that has helped you improve your ability or has helped you enjoy practicing and playing.

Since its my thread i guess i should start,

Well i have been playing for a short while trying my best to grasp and learn every thing available to me. I have been workning on chord construction and scales for awhile, and doing ok at it.

So ofcouse i get a little bored, and feeling a little bit annoyed after doing the same practise routine for the last couple weeks or so, i decide to look in to new things.

I find Ug's section on arpeggios, and do my research. I find other sources of information on arpeggios. I learned that they can play with what i've been learning all this time. Now i have been practising my major and minor arpeggios and getting a lot of fun out of it. I really like being able to use a quick arp. to break the feel of a scale that has been running to long.

Yeah i know..... not really a big break though to some of ya'll experinced players, but you know you were here at one time yourself. And i really think finding the right things to practise that motivate you to just play is a step in the right direction. So anyone who would like to share something that you are now working on and learning, or have learned, and has helped you enjoy playing and helped you feel more confident in your ability please share with us. And please tell us of the techniques and how you practised them, and how you applied them to your own music.

Thank you for reading.
Last edited by epic7734 at Dec 22, 2006,
Well today I learned

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
ALien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
Michael Jackson - Beat it
Panic at the Disco - I write Sins not Tragedies..and thats basically it.

I dont really "learn" other peoples arpeggios anymore, I know what sounds cool to me and what doesnt.
This thread should be useful for other musicians who need an idea of what they should learn next.

Anyways, I worked on my slide playing today by attempting to learn Lynyrd Skynyrd's "Free Bird".

Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
ive been workin on sweep pickin since it seems to be the innovated way to play the guitar. i think i should work on arppegios. mite help for sweep pickin.
Quote by insideac

Avenged Sevenfold - Beast and the Harlot
ALien Ant Farm - Smooth Criminal
Michael Jackson - Beat it
Panic at the Disco - I write Sins not Tragedies..and thats basically it.

Where there any techniques you had to learn before you started playing these songs, or did you learn them as you learned the song?

S0ulja23..... did you have any other experience with a slide?
Quote by epic7734

S0ulja23..... did you have any other experience with a slide?

No not really.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

Well, I started learning Always with Me, Always with You by Joe Satriani. I'm taking my time with this one, as I love his fluidity in his playing and want to try to nail it myself.
Today..no, I just learned the song. SOrry. Didnt realize what you were asking. WHen I was first starting out...I pcked up as much as I could from a song and spent weeks perfecting one song..now I can learn a song in 15 minutes if its easy enough :P, youll get there, dont worry. Just practice the songs meticulously.
Quote by insideac
I dont like to do exercises that focus on a technique..instead, I just look for songs that have that, and practice it.

Hmm I should try that. Doing exercises bore me a bit.

Nothing too guitar related, but I've learnt that standard 13 gauge strings tuned to C standard give a bloody awesome tone, and excellent tension.
I think I just learned aload of Megadeth songs... didn't really use any new techniques or anything, but I did try out one of Dave's ways of muting the strings which he shows in a video thats pretty good... here it is.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yBYlzVN7twM
Quote by fukyu1980
LOL ! muther fuker i was gonna say that LOL!
I have been playing on guitar for the last year, and ive learnt a fair lot of theory. I used to take piano lessons but never really progressed - today I learnt that what was limiting me was my lack of theory knowledge.

That sorta pisses me off because my piano teacher should have tought me a fair lot of theory in my 9 years of lessons. Today I started learning a song and found because of my understanding of theory it was easier to sight read and remember.

Ultimate GUITAR taught me to play PIANO better than a piano teacher!

So, my biggest lesson learnt today is music theory makes music a LOT easier!
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by johnmalkin
Nothing too guitar related? Tell me, what do you use your strings for?

Guitar technique* related, as is the general atmosphere of the thread.
Today I've started learning Voodoo Child- Hendrix and Be Yourself - Solo by Audio Slave

It's going pretty well, Voodoo Child is not a hard as it sounds!

Today I got a Dunlop Orginal Crybaby so I'm learning Wah stuff now
I've just learned the clean part of Master of Puppets, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the song today... minus the second solo. I'll learn that over break.
ANDRE THE GIANT HAS A POSSE

Peace (sells)
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I hope to hear on how the pinky strengthening goes for you, and maybe you can comeback and tell us what you did to help aide you in this.

Cizzie, I would really like to hear what you learn from your new equipment. I would really like to know if you prefer to go with feeling when to use the wah, or if you prefer using it to the beat. So don't forget to let us know.

Well for myself,
I have continued working on the basic major and minor arpeggios. I notice when i try to play the notes that are on the same frett but are decending or ascending, i haven't found the most efficient way to do it.

I am trying it two different ways right now:

First way,
I am rolling my finger down the frett board at the places in the arpeggio where the notes ascend or decend on the same frett.

Works well for keeping a smooth rhythm and a nice speed.
But it tends to hurt in the knuckles at the tip of my fingers when i do them for to long.

Second way,

Using one of my other fingers to frett the note in the part of the arpeggio that is ascending/decending.

This works for relieving the pain in the top knuckles of my fingers, but i find the fretts become to clutered with fingers in the way.

Anyone who would like to give some advice or just a completly different way to practise this technique, please feel free to speak up.

Thank you.
i started learning glasgow kiss, an etude, and just concentrating on writeing
i learned the sweeps in some nevermore song i forget which one, mainly concentrating on the etude and glasgow and stabwound (necrophagist) today is a busy dday
i learned a song that someone wanted to know the chords for in my schools guitar class. i have no idea what song it is though. i also made up i new repeating lick today. pretty unproductive as far as actually learning something. i practiced alot today so i guess i built up on my skills ever so slightly. every day counts.
^ WOOOOH!

Quote by epic7734
Cizzie, I would really like to hear what you learn from your new equipment. I would really like to know if you prefer to go with feeling when to use the wah, or if you prefer using it to the beat. So don't forget to let us know.

Well, I'm not sure what I prefer yet, I still find throwing the Wah in randomly to go with 'feeling' a little bit hard, but I'm sure time and practice will solve that
Quote by Killedmt
I've just learned the clean part of Master of Puppets, and I'm gonna finish the rest of the song today... minus the second solo. I'll learn that over break.

A tip for the second solo, because I recently just learned it:

Make sure that the first part you do, it's 17 pull of 12, then on the B string you do 13 pull off 12 hammer on 13, don't do 12 hammer on 13 pull off 12. It might not even make sense now, but it's a little mistake that I made that screwed me up majorly.
i learned a little bit more about my own style of guitar playing, and how to unlock my ideas and put them on the guitar... short story, i got baked and played the songs i've been writing lately.

however, i did very recently get the hang of playing with a whammy bar, and in drop-d tuning no less, and I also recently switched from playing slide on my ring finger to my pinky.

word.
Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments
Quote by thu062012
Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum some months ago.

Pls use search box to find this questions with comments

Hi

I found that a member asked same question in this forum 6 years ago.

Pls use eyes to find this date thread was made.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Today I learned that necro's are awesome! Otherwise why would so many of them be on the first page?
I'm an
Engeneer
Enginear
Enginere

I'm Good at Math
I'm learning the solo of Stairway to heaven. Awesome but kind of to fast for me, sadly enough. Anyone tips?
I am learning all 3 solos to "One" I already learned the first 2 and I am actually taking them apart and looking at the notes compared to the rhythm guitar notes. It as actually really cool how in the intro both guitars are playing notes but it assembles chords. I highly suggest someone to look at it, even if it isnt technically hard, it has a lot aof nice phrasing principles to look at
i wrote an awesome new riff today, i have high expectations for that riff.

p.s. these thread is so old...... thu062012 you're no really supposed bump to threads this old...
I Have An Avant Garde Fetish....
Quote by Gantz92
Im in no way an amateur. I masturbate in public all the time.
Quote by Nelsean
I can get an erection just by looking at a plastic cup, or a river.
Quote by Obsceneairwaves
Don't worry, rape will always find a back way in