Page 1 of 2
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik
526 IQ
Never heard of it and to be honest it seems a bit dodgy to me... Make sure you try it out thoroughly before you buy it, and if you don't have the means of trying ... I wouldn't buy it, personally.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
tiny0514
2,251 IQ
thare a new comany and thay got a amazing review from totall guitar
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik
526 IQ
Quote by tiny0514
thare a new comany and thay got a amazing review from totall guitar

Yeah well Total Guitar also says Avenged Sevenfold is the best metal band ever, sooo............

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

codybcool
UG Monkey
367 IQ
I wouldn't buy it solely on this reason:

Total Guitar is a shitty rag. Never believe anything you read in it, especially their reviews. I ****ing hate that magazine.

Basically, if you gave them enough money, they would review your anus and rate it 5 stars saying that it had insane playbility and the stock pickups screamed.
Guitar_Dan_666
Dislikes above username
796 IQ
Quote by codybcool

Total Guitar is a shitty rag. Never believe anything you read in it, especially their reviews. I ****ing hate that magazine.

Basically, if you gave them enough money, they would review your anus and rate it 5 stars saying that it had insane playbility and the stock pickups screamed.

im sorry but.......

ESP LTD MH-350NT
Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 100
Orange PPC412AD
Seagull S6 Cedar Slim
Manuel Rodríguez C1M

Guitarist of Ravenage
Drummer of Windrider
Solo Project is Aloeswood
Telecastermark
21 IQ
I am the distributor for Spear in the UK and would just like to put in a few words.

Firstly the price of the Guitar is £349 and there was one shop that had listed the price wrong but that has since been corrected.

Yes the guitars did get a good review in Total Guitar because the are very good guitars and not because we have a big advertising budget with them. I know there are a lot of guitar snobs out there that unless the name on the headstock say F****R, G****N then a guitar must be crap. This is why it is hard to introduce anything new into the UK. Lots of people complain that there is limited choice between the flooded entry level market, which in some cases really is a case of you get what you pay for and the high end market.

When we had the guitars on show at music live they went down a storm and quite a few shops signed up as dealers there and then. So that is why the only thing about Spear is that you have to try one, only then can make a judgement about the playability, sound quality and value for money.

I am fortunate enough to have an extensive collection of guitars, and as I also distribute James Trussart and Don Grosh guitars I play guitars every day that cost thousands of pounds, but I will tell you that the Spear NFII is one of my personal favourites and it is fantastic example of the quality and attention to detail that Spear offer.

So if you would like to try one and your favourite local guitar store does not stock them then let us know and we will send one to the store for you to try without obligation.

If anyone has any other questions about just contact me

mark@blacki.eu
Hakanku
Tactician & Dreamweaver
283 IQ
Well.....I think we have all been told...

That link posted doesnt work, and im too lazy to search at work right now, but later on i'll have a look *nods*
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik
526 IQ
I'll certainly give them a try out as soon as possible if the guy will actually send one to Belfast, left him a email, I'll post a review on this whenever/if I get my hands on one of these guitars.

zeroconsequence
128 IQ
Damn! I'll give spear props for one reason........they managed to rip-off mostly EVERY body style that is out there. Here are some examples.
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/index,idproduit,97423,mao,spear_guitar_kt200.html
Looks like:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Damien-FR-Electric-Guitar?sku=513103
This is obviously a les paul:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/index,idproduit,97483,mao,spear_guitar_krd150.html
and this is a strat:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/index,idproduit,97419,mao,spear_guitar_krf101.html
This looks exactly like the fernandes ravelle:
http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/index,idproduit,97488,mao,spear_guitar_ktomcat.html
I know there aren't many options left out there as far as new bodies, but damn they look almost identical. Oh well if they play well then i got no complaints.
zeroconsequence
128 IQ
Hey mark..... Could you give us a link or some specs on these guitars. I understand french as well as I understand quantum physics.
zeroconsequence
128 IQ
Linky doesn't work. Is that a for real website. Hope the guitars work better than the web address.
ScottishAngus
33 IQ
Quote by Telecastermark
I am the distributor for Spear in the UK and would just like to put in a few words.

Firstly the price of the Guitar is £349 and there was one shop that had listed the price wrong but that has since been corrected.

Yes the guitars did get a good review in Total Guitar because the are very good guitars and not because we have a big advertising budget with them. I know there are a lot of guitar snobs out there that unless the name on the headstock say F****R, G****N then a guitar must be crap. This is why it is hard to introduce anything new into the UK. Lots of people complain that there is limited choice between the flooded entry level market, which in some cases really is a case of you get what you pay for and the high end market.

When we had the guitars on show at music live they went down a storm and quite a few shops signed up as dealers there and then. So that is why the only thing about Spear is that you have to try one, only then can make a judgement about the playability, sound quality and value for money.

I am fortunate enough to have an extensive collection of guitars, and as I also distribute James Trussart and Don Grosh guitars I play guitars every day that cost thousands of pounds, but I will tell you that the Spear NFII is one of my personal favourites and it is fantastic example of the quality and attention to detail that Spear offer.

So if you would like to try one and your favourite local guitar store does not stock them then let us know and we will send one to the store for you to try without obligation.

If anyone has any other questions about just contact me

mark@blacki.eu

Props for coming onto the forum!
Total guitar reviews arent the best these days i prefer guitarist personally! As far as spear guitars go they seem like nice guitars for the money. One thing that would sway alot of buyers (superstrat wise) but would probably raise the price a bit would be to put high quality licensed tremolo units on by the likes of gotoh or schaller. As that is the only real downside i can see atm that could be a problem.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
ar73m
Fantastik Pandastik
526 IQ
The links work fine, at least for me. I'm hoping for a chance to try the guitar out now; if they're really as good as the specs are, and properly assembled and set up, it'd be cool to see a new decent brand out there. And after getting to know Schechters, I have faith in Korea, so... we'll see.

timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
their guitars look nice and seem to have decent specs, but the headstock design is so horribly pre-pubescant.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
J.MitMetallica
Ex guitar forum slogger
329 IQ
The web address doesn't work for me either...
Why did Pat Metheney cross the road? He didn't, his hair got in the way
--
Member #1 of Ibanez > You club. PM me to join
Telecastermark
21 IQ
We are looking at having the Heastocks changed for the UK market but as these are the initial models we would like to get some feedback.

One thing though is that are sure that the quality and playability will surpass your expectations.

With regards to someone comments regarding the designs it is hard to come come up with a totallu unique shape that feels good and balances well. That is why you have different takes on the LP, Strat and Tele. Spear try to come up with unique takes on these styles by using thru neck construction etc.

I would like to thank everyone so far for the fantastic support including those that have contacted us and asked for a trial at their music store and then bought the instrument.

If you are serious about trying/buying a spear then please contact us and we will make one available at a store of your choice.
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Wait... £349 for that?

TBH I'd rather buy from an established brand like Ibanez. You could get an S470 for that....

My Music
Telecastermark
21 IQ
maybe but because it says Ibanez on the headstock and does not have the same build quality you would be the one that misses out. It does not need to be an established brand to be good. Judge with an open mind once you have tried it.
samoyed
10 IQ
I actually picked one of these up the other day as i kinda liked the NOP / top. I have a few guitars already:
2 Gibson Les Paul Elegants
2 Gibson Les Paul Customs
Ibanez Jem 7VWH
Ibanez Jem 10th
I picked this up as a 'take it anywhere' guitar as I like to throw a guitar in the back of the car to tinker on when the mood suits. I previously had an Ibanez S for the purpose but it took a fall from a wall hook and ended its life
Honest opinion on the Gladius day 1 ... and lets not forget its price.

Arrived in possibly the worst 'set up' state I've ever seen over the last 20 years of playing. I thought the cold may have knocked the tuning out ...understandable... but to attempt to put the guitar in concert pitch raised the action to point it could have doubled as a vegetable slice and the trem looked like it was about to be ripped clean off the body.... Not so good.

Was unable to set the trem up to a satifactory position as the trem springs for some reason have too much play ... gonna have to either switch em or drop a couple more on. Still it got the gladius in a playable state ... just some of the Floyd's functionality is impaired.... Not so good.

Having done a check out of the neck one of the frets is slightly proud causing the G string to choke on a couple of the high register frets .... Not so good.

Oh and the trem suck big style... very poor quality. Needs to be changed out. Spacing looks standard for any floyd although i havent measured the cavity yet to see if it has the width ... certainly 'looks' not as wide as either Jem.

Okay I sound negative dont I? Well I lets move on.

Stock PuPs are actually very suprising. Better to my ear than Ibanez S stocks, usable for an entry guitar.

Neck .. other than the proud fret than needs a slight tweak is finished well, raw
wood feels good to the touch and the 12th fret inlay is suprisingly well done. Rather have it plain imo ... but hey.

Body well put together, nice finish cavity's are a little rough but again nothing major.

Tuners seem to do the job okay, nut needs a change out with the trem ... 'feels' like its a risk of threading. Spear logo is very understated.

Thru neck sustains well, better than my S series... with a better Rose you would see the true benefits.

To round up ... it you like the look then its a decent guitar that with a few upgrades will make a much nicer guitar. Has the feel of a custom built guitar in that it doesnt 'feel' like a mass production model. I actually like it a lot and it does make you want to pick it up and play.

For me it needs a new Trem / Nut, a fret dress and for my own taste new PuPs. Comparing it to an Ibanez S .. kinda same price point. The S is more refined in terms of off the shelf build, neck profile is more comfortable.... but im thinking with a bit of love the Gladius may just have some hidden magic in it.
Kurapica
611 IQ
I'm interested in the Spear guitars, but I've not the cash atm so I wouldn't want you to send a guitar out that I've no intention of buying atm. Hmm where in the UK stocks them?
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
heretic555666
UG's Prog Thrash Master
453 IQ
the spear gladius sp looks like a fantastic guitar! Great finish! it sounds awesome! and it has a floyd rose tremolo! and i have enough cash for one but ive no idea where i could try one out or buy one
jsbassboy
UG's Freelance Badass
236 IQ
Quote by codybcool

LOL
Rufiothebandito
540 IQ
^Yeah that was brilliant haha
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Last edited by Rufiothebandito at Aug 29, 2007,
MetalheadA7X
Funeral Thirst
902 IQ
TBH i would be quite tempted to try the RG style spear if i was looking for a cheaper alternative form my next guitar.

Looks good (y)
Ibanez RG770DX Reissue

Ibanez Apex 2

Ibanez S520EX w/ EMGs

Marshall DSL100 Halfstack

NEWCASTLE UNITED!
CBA28
Did anyone else see that?
69 IQ
ok this might be a stupid question but, i really just want to see how one of these play, but im in the middle of kansas, and since you are a UK based company can you send one over, i have people all the time ask me what a good low end guitar is, and these seem good but i really need to play one be fore i recomend it, so can one b sent over?
Quote by Steve The Plank
Maybe you should just eliminate the idea of being a LEAD guitarist or a RHYTHM guitarist and just come to terms with being a guitarist.

Quote by Mike Huber
I used to steal legos from my friend. He always had the coolest pieces.
creedence
10 IQ
Quote by codybcool

Total Guitar is a ****ty rag. Never believe anything you read in it, especially their reviews. I ****ing hate that magazine.

I just came across this and I'm stunned... I'm the reviews editor of Total Guitar magazine. It always amazes how negative people can be about something as harmless as a magazine. Ok, so we don't do things like you would do it; fill the mag with only your favourite bands; we might even say a band is good that you don't like cos we like 'em and so do some of our other 54,000 readers; or we review stuff that you wouldn't ever in your wildest dreams want to play... start your own magazine then! Total **** perhaps...

What evidence do you have that any of that is true? I don't expect everyone to like the mag but seriously, how much of a c**t do you have to be to make baseless accusations like that. So we shouldn't ever believe anything we read in TG? Anything?

Oh, I can honestly say that I've never reviewed an anus mate... but if you feel like putting yourself forward I'll give you marks out of 5.

No-one in the guitar industry has ever paid me to give them a good review - or given me free gear. In the industry we are respected for not bowing to advertisers or PR companies... If you have any concrete evidence to the contrary my friend then I'd love to hear about it

If not, cut the slander. I respect your decision to not read or enjoy Total Guitar, but don't poison the minds of others who enjoy it with your insulting crap.

In the case of the Spear Gladius SP - the guitar has better quality tonewoods, finish and playability than we usually see at that price range. That's why it got a good review. The serious players on the mag really liked it. That's it, bottom line. If you haven't tried the guitar then you can't have an opinion on our review, yeah?

And yeah, we sent it back when the review was done, cos that's what we do.

Unless you have ever worked on Total Guitar or done my job, you can't possibly know what it entails. It's involves a lot of work, and late nights putting the mag together. That's why I get miffed when I read stupid comments like yours.

It feels good setting the record straight doesn't it? I only ever read this kind of toss online in forums, never when I met TG readers or people in the industry. Funny that.

I'm actually leaving the reviews editor job at the end of the month. So you'll have to make up **** about someone else from now on mate...

Ed Mitchell
Reviews Editor
Total Guitar
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
4,555 IQ
. . necro post

Hehe. Nice to see not just one but TWO "known" people posting in the same thread

I haven't actually tried a spear guitar but wouldn't mind trying one of their more "high end" ones.
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Quote by creedence
I just came across this and I'm stunned... I'm the reviews editor of Total Guitar magazine. It always amazes how negative people can be about something as harmless as a magazine. Ok, so we don't do things like you would do it; fill the mag with only your favourite bands; we might even say a band is good that you don't like cos we like 'em and so do some of our other 54,000 readers; or we review stuff that you wouldn't ever in your wildest dreams want to play... start your own magazine then! Total **** perhaps...

What evidence do you have that any of that is true? I don't expect everyone to like the mag but seriously, how much of a c**t do you have to be to make baseless accusations like that. So we shouldn't ever believe anything we read in TG? Anything?

Oh, I can honestly say that I've never reviewed an anus mate... but if you feel like putting yourself forward I'll give you marks out of 5.

No-one in the guitar industry has ever paid me to give them a good review - or given me free gear. In the industry we are respected for not bowing to advertisers or PR companies... If you have any concrete evidence to the contrary my friend then I'd love to hear about it

If not, cut the slander. I respect your decision to not read or enjoy Total Guitar, but don't poison the minds of others who enjoy it with your insulting crap.

In the case of the Spear Gladius SP - the guitar has better quality tonewoods, finish and playability than we usually see at that price range. That's why it got a good review. The serious players on the mag really liked it. That's it, bottom line. If you haven't tried the guitar then you can't have an opinion on our review, yeah?

And yeah, we sent it back when the review was done, cos that's what we do.

Unless you have ever worked on Total Guitar or done my job, you can't possibly know what it entails. It's involves a lot of work, and late nights putting the mag together. That's why I get miffed when I read stupid comments like yours.

It feels good setting the record straight doesn't it? I only ever read this kind of toss online in forums, never when I met TG readers or people in the industry. Funny that.

I'm actually leaving the reviews editor job at the end of the month. So you'll have to make up **** about someone else from now on mate...

Ed Mitchell
Reviews Editor
Total Guitar

Epic bump there...

I don't think you'd be that touchy about the matter if there wasn't some degree of truth in what he said.

My Music
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
4,555 IQ
Touché there

I do have to say TG has gone downhill since it was all about A7X, BFMV and Metallica.

Where's the Jazz, Blues (not just eric clapton ) and less known stuff, like Guthrie Govan and Frank Gambale.
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Quote by Punk_Ninja
Touché there

I do have to say TG has gone downhill since it was all about A7X, BFMV and Metallica.

Where's the Jazz, Blues (not just eric clapton ) and less known stuff, like Guthrie Govan and Frank Gambale.

In Guitarist magazine

TG seems to be more aimed at younger more metal orientated players now.

My Music
Punk_Ninja
Orianthi fanboy.
4,555 IQ
That's exactly the reason I buy Guitarist, Guitar Techniques and Guitar buyer (I'm a gear ***** ) now.

Though TG SOMETIMES tabs something good like Vai or Satch that makes me think "Damn I missed that!" and I buy them sometimes if they have good articles advertised on the front, like a recent NAMM issue which also had something abotu Satch.
Once I missed an issue with Vai's "Sisters" tabbed and I was gutted.

However I'm more gutted about missing the Guitar techniques with Scarified tabbed.
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
1,910 IQ
Go TG!

Why not buy BOTH TG and Guitarist magazine. Makes a great combination, one magazine for more metal/rock stuff, one for more rock/blues stuff. It's what I do, and they're both great.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
creedence
10 IQ
Quote by timi_hendrix
Epic bump there...

I don't think you'd be that touchy about the matter if there wasn't some degree of truth in what he said.

That's fair enough mate - maybe I am a bit touchy - I just didn't like the accusation that reviews can be 'bought' in Total Guitar. Plus the language he used was abusive... I felt I reacted in kind. What bit do you think has some degree of truth? Reviewing an anus? It did make me laugh but we do draw the line at body parts.

Cheers for your comment though

Ed
timi_hendrix
My heron!
445 IQ
Quote by Punk_Ninja
That's exactly the reason I buy Guitarist, Guitar Techniques and Guitar buyer (I'm a gear ***** ) now.

Though TG SOMETIMES tabs something good like Vai or Satch that makes me think "Damn I missed that!" and I buy them sometimes if they have good articles advertised on the front, like a recent NAMM issue which also had something abotu Satch.
Once I missed an issue with Vai's "Sisters" tabbed and I was gutted.

However I'm more gutted about missing the Guitar techniques with Scarified tabbed.

I only buy guitarist these days, and guitar buyer if I have some spare cash and I've already got that month's issue of guitarist.

TG has good tabs, and they're better presented than the ones in guitarist IMO, but they don't tend to tab much that isn't the latest trendy thing to like. But then again, it is more of a mainstream guitar magazine aimed at a younger audience so there's not really anything wrong with it.

My Music
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
1,910 IQ
Wait, no more Ed's Shed?
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
creedence
10 IQ
Quote by Simsimius
Wait, no more Ed's Shed?

No, i'll still be doing the Ed's Shed maintenance stuff, just not the reviews.
Simsimius
Peace. Love. Solidarity.
1,910 IQ
Quote by creedence
No, i'll still be doing the Ed's Shed maintenance stuff, just not the reviews.

Oh ok. I was worried then.

Btw, any hints on the new TG? Always nice when the new issue gets posted.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO