Page 14 of 14
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
Everything. Very few Metal outfits from their era can lay claim to what Darkthrone as a banner have. "Darkthrone" is so much more metal then Transylvanian Hunger, so much more genuine then Under A Funeral Fog. Darkthrone is a testament to a Metal passion given sound. Darkthrone is more then Black Metal, it's a outlet for two guys who are in it for one thing.

M.U.S.I.C
The fucking music.

Most people can't handle the fact that Fenriz isn't dracula and that they aren't Mayhem who believe they are Satan. One really only needs to absorb the lyrical content of Circle The Wagons, F.O.A.D., and Darktrhones and Black Flags to see what is going on here.

Darkthrone isn't and never has been about Black Metal, you'd have to be blind and disillusioned to think that.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,
I’m not ashamed to be white
Vi doede ikke... vi har aldri levd
Barbarism is the natural state of mankind
Civilization is unnatural

It is a whim of circumstance
an unenlightened one
Metal_Head1
MÖTÖR
560 IQ
Humph. Well put.
I'm familiar only with their first four releases, so the transition isn't clear to me.
I'm aware Fenriz likes NWOBHM and shit, but their middle period is just a black hole to me, so after looking into it a little...

I've made my own code
sold my soul to Manilla Road
Modern metal I don't give a **** UH!
I was raised on rock

it makes a little more sense.
Maybe.
Nietsche
Registered Hoover
386 IQ
Not really huge on Darkthrone but that chorus right there gets me every time.
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
That's because there is conviction behind the delivery, he really fucking means it.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
Kepulix
The Witchfinder
1,413 IQ
"Sold my soul to Manilla Road" is perhaps the single best line in metal lyrics ever.

EDIT: Listened to the new track and fucking love it. If I didn't know I wouldn't have guessed it was Darkthrone, but that doesn't matter one bit.
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Last edited by Kepulix at Jan 16, 2013,
eazy-c
Angus McHighlands
559 IQ
Am I alone in placing modern Darkthrone above the BM classics?

Like VG said, their passion is so tangible in what they're producing these days, nevermind just how fucking riftastic they are. That's not to take anything away from the BM releases, I just feel something special from the newer stuff that's missing in so much metal these days.
Quote by ChemicalFire
The point of underground bands is their not popular or famous most of the time. Thus there is a good chance they suck.
Last edited by eazy-c at Jan 16, 2013,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
My Darkthrone favorites are A Blaze In The Northern Sky, Darkthrones and Black Flags, The Cult Is Alive, Under A Funeral Moon.... well pretty much almost everything save a few "meh" releases.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
technicolour
Banned
1,153 IQ
Quote by eazy-c

Like VG said, their passion is so tangible in what they're producing these days, nevermind just how fucking riftastic they are. That's not to take anything away from the BM releases, I just feel something special from the newer stuff that's missing in so much metal these days.

Seems like they never really stopped developing as a band and haven't blundered into the mistakes that other "longer lived" metal bands have done. Might have something to do with Fenriz's hatred...or disappointment of the "black metal trendiness" which has been around since the end of the second wave.
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
Quote by Cheeselord
Uhh, the new song kinda sucks y'all. It doesn't flow at all, the chorus sucks and the riffs are more derivative than Sodom's shitty thrash.

It's your right to have that lousy opinion
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
InvaderTSN
Praise the sun!
184 IQ
Quote by Cheeselord
Uhh, the new song kinda sucks y'all. It doesn't flow at all, the chorus sucks and the riffs are more derivative than Sodom's shitty thrash.

It's unfortunate you feel this way. This is the first time in a long while that I've been this excited to hear a new release.
beadhangingOne
Gnomesaiyan?
1,468 IQ
Quote by Metal_Head1
Humph. Well put.
I'm familiar only with their first four releases, so the transition isn't clear to me.
I'm aware Fenriz likes NWOBHM and shit, but their middle period is just a black hole to me, so after looking into it a little...

it makes a little more sense.
Maybe.

Pshh more like raised on cock... am I right guys!?
sk8ordie97
Doesn't skate anymore
1,339 IQ
Quote by eazy-c

+1 to that. Their older shit is great but the new stuff is incredible.
Peres.T.Peanut
1,422 IQ
Just finished hearing the new album. ****ing loved it, so many great ideas...
Quote:
Hey Im Looking For Some Tech Death Metal In D

Quote:
try anything form avenged sevenfold

I lol'ed.

Quote by Basti95
inb4 everyone else, well played
Burning_Angel
Valar Morghulis
2,379 IQ
This is correct. So many great riffs, just, everywhere. It's awesome. It just oozes badass.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Crazed Shredder
Sheik Yerbouti
1,195 IQ
I can't believe I have been so disconnected from metal that I had no idea there is a new Darkthrone album.
Quote by beadhangingOne
Are you talking about those weird sphincter-spasms where it feels like there's a ghost dick in your ass for a little while and then it just disappears?
MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
Binging on Darkthrone a bit lately but can't say I share the sentiment stated by some above, those new albums aren't bad but they can't touch ABITNS, Under a Funeral Moon or Transilvanian Hunger. Panzerfaust too. And while I'm dropping apparently unpopular opinions I think I'll add that Soulside Journey seems a bit bland to me and I can't imagine it getting as much recognition as it does were it not for Darkthrone's name on it.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

The music winners listen to
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
I'll agree with the first opinion and crucify you for the second. Soulside Journey is a beautiful album and you are an uncultured dolt. Good day to you sir.
HESSIAN HAREM
FOR THE ADVANCEMENT OF THE HESSIAN CULTURE. STAY TRUE.
Kytokinesis
rose tint my world
705 IQ
The only two Darkthrone albums I own physically are Soulside Journey and The Underground Resistance. Soulside Journey is magical and bleak and terrifying. As for The Underground Resistance, well:
Quote by masterofmuppets
It's like Agent Steel meets Celtic Frost, what's not to love?
Who are you? The prince of darkness? Don't you have any friends?

PSN: esunax
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Their crossover / heavy metal albums don't live quite up to the standard set by the first four though. That's my issue with it. It's solid heavy metal and Motorhead b sides, but it's not quite the genius that they portrayed early in their career
HESSIAN HAREM
severed-metal
moo
4,307 IQ
My favourite is Transylvanian, but I'm actually pretty keen on everything Fenriz does with Darkthrone. He's a metal maniac and is one of the most dedicated people to the scene, not to mention he's got a decent ear for hardcore/crust too. I can't fault anything they've done, that I've heard.
MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
Well Transylvanian Hunger can almost be listened to as some kind of weird, inverted crust album - like a photographic negative - it's got the bass, drums and bare-bones simplicity.
O what a disgrace if such a despised and base race, which worships demons, should conquer a people which has the faith of omnipotent God and is made glorious with the name of Christ!

progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
It reminds me of Ildjarn in that regard, all the pieces are simple but they interact in complex ways. Genius when you really observe it
HESSIAN HAREM
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
Quote by progbass
It reminds me of Ildjarn

Absolutely. There are just three riffs per song (two in most or Ildjarn's music) but they work together perfectly. It appeals to something deep within the subconscious that more complex works don't seem to be able to reach.

Blaze and Funeral Moon are among the pinnacle of ritualised, occult black metal, but Transilvanian Hunger is some kind of primal force carved into metal.
NosferatuZodd09
Maiden thread -> Barf
1,561 IQ
anyone mind elaborating on that whole how they work together and interacting in complex ways? for whatever reason I've never been able to notice shit like that at an album level. perhaps my memory's too short lol. any examples?
progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
When was the last time you listened to Ildjarn-Nidhogg?

Run it back, and name each riff A B C etc. Mark how they structure the song and notice the similarities and contrasts between sections.
HESSIAN HAREM
Hoodoo Man
LEG XX VV
10 IQ
In terms of them working together, I don't think I have the theoretical knowledge to to explain it in an academic sense, but it's something that I can feel when listening to the music.

On Transilvanian Hunger, each song has two riffs that contrast each other while maintaining momentum, so the tension keeps building up. Then the third, concluding riff hits hard and all that momentum and tension breaks, which is immensely satisfying. I'm sure there is a theoretical explanation for why those riffs work together better than others, but they certainly feel right.

Ildjarn's songs tend to keep bouncing back and forth between the contrasting riffs, so while each riff partly resolves the other, they don't really get concluded within the song like with Darkthrone. Instead, Ildjarn's albums are clearly intended to be listened to as one complete work that moves through different moods.

In terms of interacting in complex ways, despite only having a few riffs, things like the number of repetitions of each riffs, the type of drumming and the presence or absence of vocals are varied as the song cycles through, so the role of each riff changes. This is more clearly the case on Norse, for example, than some of Ildjarn's other releases.

A good comparison would be Varg's electronic albums, where he layers several elements on top of each other and then varies the tone and how many are playing at any one time, rather than changing to a new melody to progress the music (although he does that sometimes, too).

All of this comes from listening to the albums many times, and I still feel like I've only scratched the surface. I'd like to be able to draw those kinds of conclusions after just a couple of listens, although it might diminish the journey, but it's not something that I find very easy.
Ironic Maiden
Holes instead of eyes
1,303 IQ
This thread made me want to listen to Transilvanian Hunger for the first time in a while. The small quantity of riffs compliments the hypnotic nature of the song, and this effect is supported by the format of the three riffs Hoodoo described, tension and release. Masterful execution as far as I'm concerned.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jul 7, 2016,
MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
And for the final point, the album is far greater as a whole than it's songs added together, like a gestalt

MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
Panzerfaust sure is underrated. This is one of the best Darkthrone songs:

progbass
UG Resident
1,030 IQ
Ironic did you happen to look into the whole album and whatnot?
HESSIAN HAREM
Ironic Maiden
Holes instead of eyes
1,303 IQ
Quote by progbass

Yeah man, I've heard it many times, but I hadn't for a while.
Last edited by Ironic Maiden at Jul 14, 2016,
VampireGoldfish
Suddenly...
3,617 IQ
Quote by MHDrunk
Panzerfaust sure is underrated. This is one of the best Darkthrone songs:

Fenriz basically looked around the scene at the time and exclaimed, "Did we forget Celtic Frost?" and he left Nocturno Culto in the studio to laydown some of the most ferocious and raw vocals to date.
A heathen, conceivably
but not,

I hope,

an unenlightened one
MHDrunk
The Mad Baron
2,930 IQ
My thoughts exactly, it's basically To Mega Therion meets Transilvanian Hunger