Page 1 of 14
metal Lover
Banned
5,044 IQ
I used to be very anti black metal. But I'm quickly starting to get into it. My favorite black metal is Drudkh, Dark Funeral, Burzum, Mayhem, Bathory, and of course Darkthrone.

But enough about me lets discuss Darkthrone. I searched and didn't find anything. I'm currently listening to Transylvanian Hunger.

(12/26/06)
Last edited by metal Lover at May 14, 2008,
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
I bought A Blaze in The Northern Sky the other day. Good stuff, but I expected more. Oh well.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Cooper1983
With Strength I Burn
175 IQ
Transylvanian Hunger is awesome. Very low production, bleak and harsh. Spine chillingly awesome.
Stranglehold
6,080 IQ
Darkthrone are amazing. Transilvanian Hunger is an excellent album, but I would still rate 'A Blaze......' or 'Under a Funeral Moon' ahead of it.
laffyjam
Unas Slayer of the Mods
649 IQ
I loathe Transilvanian Hunger but A Blaze In The Northern Sky and Under a Funeral Moon are great albums.
DanRev
Boom/Bap?
129 IQ
Excellent band. Best of the more mainstream black metal ones (Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor etc.) in my opinion, but then I never really listened to Emperor.
matt85210
UG's Sexy Party Host
2,273 IQ
^Then withhold your opinion, dear sir, until you have done!
'Thine Eyes Bleed':

Quote by CSguitarvocal
More like... Thine Butthole Bleeds... from all the gay sex you have!!! Ahahaha!

Quote by Butt Rayge
Fuck off already, you fucking faggot fuck.

amidoinitrite?

Quote by DeAd-RiP
I don't care for slipknot unless I'm so drunk I don't care about anything.
chemicalsolutio
DarkDryad
401 IQ
Although I pefer the raw atmospheric kind of black metal, Darkthrone has a very nice sound and some memorable songs.

Their best albums imo were their first ones: A Blaze in the northern sky, Under a funeral moon and Transylvanian Hunger. But they have been pretty consistent throughout the years and have rarely release something really shitty except for the last release which has some crappy punkish songs.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
Necrolust
My username is stupid
6,264 IQ
I was into them a long time ago , I have all their albums. Preety meh if you ask me. they remind me of Ramones but with brootal lyrics. lol.
I respect them though.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
vashts80
46 IQ
Quote by chemicalsolutio
Although I pefer the raw atmospheric kind of black metal, Darkthrone has a very nice sound and some memorable songs.

Their best albums imo were their first ones: A Blaze in the northern sky, Under a funeral moon and Transylvanian Hunger. But they have been pretty consistent throughout the years and have rarely release something really shitty except for the last release which has some crappy punkish songs.

I think that was pretty much the point of the whole album. Darkthrone generally make fun of the scene with how it is now; listen to "Too Old, Too Cold." It makes fun of the black metal scene as it is now.

Next to Burzum and Drudkh, my favorite BM band. Though I'm not into BM as much as DM, but regardless.
Gear:
SX SJB62-5 5-String Fretless Jazz Copy (EADGC)
Ibanez GSR200 4-String Fretted (BEAD)
Ibanez IBZ10B 10 Watt Practice Combo Amp
DR Stainless Steel Lo-Riders
Yamaha Air Cell Straps
chemicalsolutio
DarkDryad
401 IQ
^ problem is, it doesn't make the album good even though it's a mockery.
I'm entitled to double post, so fück off!!!
DanRev
Boom/Bap?
129 IQ
I dont mind the newer punkish stuff at all.
Patches McGee
UG Fanatic
42 IQ
Punk-ish??!?!?!

This I gotta hear....
Ain't Nuthin' But a UG Thang: Original Gangsta of the UG Hip Hop/Guitar Music Equality Illuminati
Spynal
Halt! Hammerzeit!
1,710 IQ
A once good band now quickly spiraling into nothing.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
DanRev
Boom/Bap?
129 IQ
Quote by masterofmuppets
Bah, I like the new album.

Its because its an album to drink to really, and you being Irish, and I being the son of an Irish couple, living in a heavily Irish area. Well, self explanatory really.

^Then withhold your opinion, dear sir, until you have done!

I listened to some more Emperor and I still prefer Darkthrone.

rockambassadorr
I Lick Chapstick
763 IQ
i have goatlord
good stuff
Jesus Satan

Quote by davedoom

Krank: "Here you go mate, shiitloads of money and free amps, all you have to do is have a pic taken with your thumbs up looking happy with this amp, we will do the rest"

Endorsee:"OK, thanks"
Bottled Ink Co.
Professional Headbanger
196 IQ
What's so bad about teh new album? I don't think it's that bad...But all I've heard is people bash it.

...And I don't see anything "punkish" about it. Just because it happens to have some faster-paced songs on it.
eternalgorias
Ripping through
365 IQ
'Blaphemer' was probably one of the first songs I heard that got me into blackmetal.
Embodiment
Banned
522 IQ
They're alright but they're nothing that really stands out to me. Under A Funeral Moon owns though.
xolax
Banned
192 IQ
I love darkthrone. Their early works are awesome. Right behind Burzum for me.
AzureNight
UG Board King
1,348 IQ
Quote by Bottled Ink Co.
What's so bad about teh new album? I don't think it's that bad...But all I've heard is people bash it.

...And I don't see anything "punkish" about it. Just because it happens to have some faster-paced songs on it.

No, the riffing and other stuff is punk style. Regardless, it blows the big one. It's a shame that Darkthrone, along with other more 'popular' Norwegian black metal bands like Emperor, Satyricon, etc, descended into the abysses of shitty overproduced poppy metal.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
metalmaster362
shred fan
926 IQ
one of the main things that prevents me from black metal is bad production, im just obsessed with good production
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
AzureNight
UG Board King
1,348 IQ
Quote by metalmaster362
one of the main things that prevents me from black metal is bad production, im just obsessed with good production

If you're obsessed about good production, black metal isn't for you. Processed production would ruin raw/atmospheric black metal that draws from lo-fi productions for the atmosphere it creates.
لا إله إلا الله محمد رسول الله
stygian87
skunker
47 IQ
i like an album to have a good production, but the raw sounds most black metal bands have does contribute to the atmosphere, but naglfar(ok, not purely BM..) for example has a good production and they still sound cold as hell (although hell is not really a cold place, the way i see it )
every man dies, not every man really lives

Originally Posted by Guitarplaya27
god so all those weird noises on those songs were bass...

jesus christ i like them
Cobain_Is_King
How Soon is Now?
1,150 IQ
Transilvanian Hunger and A Blaze in the Northern Sky are my favourite Darkthrone albums, and I love the low production, just goes to show you don't need to spend shitloads to make a good record and it does add to the atmosphere.
RULE BRITANNIA
Necrolust
My username is stupid
6,264 IQ
Quote by cobain_is_king
and I love the low production, just goes to show you don't need to spend shitloads to make a good record and it does add to the atmosphere.

Yeah, but there is a limit.. I just purchased the whole discography of xasthur from a guy and in some albums it sounds as if they recorded it with a Nokia 3310 in a bathtub.. I liked the music though.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
greety
2,178 IQ
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Panzerfaust is such an underated Darkthrone album, its so deliciously raw, like Mr Kipling's cakes if they were made of meat

ur ghey, u knowz.

On the subject of Darkthrone. I quite enjoy Blaze and Transilivanian. I find for me, that I have to be in the right mood..or it's just boring.
if you have belief in ur soul and jesus you can do anything
raise_the_dead
Gravedancer
1,535 IQ
I have three of their albums (Blaze, Ravishing Grimness, Plaguewielder) And they're pretty cool.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
SorrowIsMe
Unknown
2,178 IQ
Rather listen to Sargeist.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
mike130
UG Newbie
246 IQ
Don't listen to much black metal, but Transilvanian Hunger is teh sex.
Quote by Twist of fate
Aliens can invade us. Apparently you've never heard of pearl harbor