Page 3 of 6
terrible band, billy corgan writes there songs for them
I Return to Serenity

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
- Aldous Huxley
Ben Burnley and Billy Corgan colaborated on one song together. And I wouldn't want Billy Corgan writing anything for me.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
Quote by #_of_the_beast

Wow obviously you know nothing. Get out of the BB thread.
I with you on that one, Ronnie.
Member #60 of the Alter Bridge Fan club - PM Logz to join!

The Altar Boy of Zeppelinism. PM TheHeartBreaker to join.

You never had a mind of your own, never could resist a single pleasure.
Quote by #_of_the_beast

Out of three albums and EPs, only 2 songs (1. Follow, 2. Forget It). As if Corgan contribute much
I'd also like to mention that the ones he helped write are also some of their worst songs. Follow is okay, but Forget It? I also think he had a hand in Rain too. Rain and Forget It are their worst songs. Coincidence?
Ahh ^^ Follow is a really kickass song. didn't know billy corgan helped write it, maybe thats why they never play it live Forget it is not too bad, and rains like an old nursery rhyme type song? O well, and to say there a terrible band is funny
On a good note, i got to meet Ben At rock on the range, he was standing behind a fence smokin a cigarette, so i just went up and said hi, had him sign my shoe! KICKASS
breaking Benjamin are really good especially in concert then there awesome just saw them in new hamshire
I love the song Breath! Ben Burnley has such a great voice. I think that its so unique!
Quote by Colton165
I did also. The songs were good though. I wish they would have done some covers though, maybe like 2 or so, just to give it a more 'live' feel

They actually performed a cover of Depeche Mode's Enjoy The Silence at the concert that was recorded, but due to legal issues it wasn't included on the dvd. Think there may have been one other song with a similar issue on the night, too. Shame, considering they actually did a studio recording of Enjoy The Silence but it'll never see the light of day. I've only heard a live recording of it, sounded pretty good.

They may not be the most technical band, but I don't think they try to make it that technical - from what I can tell, Aaron at least definitely has the potential to play more complex pieces, and Ben ain't too shabby on the guitar either. Eh, they're both better than me... ;P
i jsut saw them on the 31 in cleveland. they are sweet live!!! wehn ben came out and sang for 3DG he blew everyone away.

does anyone have a pic of bens custom prs? the one with the logo inlays and something where the neck pup should be.
#64 in the Alter Bridge rocks club!

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Be sure to vote for Ben Burnley in the modern rock vocalst thread. He's sure as hell better than 90% of the other singers on there.
Ben Burnley is the best vocalist I've heard in a long time. I'd rank him up there with Freddy of Queen and Phil Collins of Genisis. I saw them live in Knoxville and they were KICKASS!!! Both Ben and Aaron are awesome guitarists.
Quote by 3rdActguitarist
Ben Burnley is the best vocalist I've heard in a long time. I'd rank him up there with Freddy of Queen and Phil Collins of Genisis. I saw them live in Knoxville and they were KICKASS!!! Both Ben and Aaron are awesome guitarists.

Im with you there definitely. Few male vocalists actually have a full vocal range, but Ben does. Off the top of my head so do the singers from Shinedown and Alter Bridge also. Ben also has an ton of control over his voice and uses it perfectly in his songs. He would win in that modern vocalist thread if people actually knew anything about singing.
Are you a member of the Shallow Bay? I hang out there a lot so I know my stuff when it comes to Breaking Benjamin.
I've been meaning to join, I just haven't had the time. I've visited the website, and I've checkout the bios and other stuff. Its freaking heaven for a Breaking Benjamin fan

EDIT: I joined. My name is Your_polyamorous_pal
Last edited by 3rdActguitarist at Jun 11, 2007,
Breaking Benjamin in my opinion is a great band. Best band around today that makes you eliminate all that emo and rap sh*t.

But, the only thing that I dislike about the band is, to me the whole "band" is only focused on Ben Burnley (the lead singer and rhythm guitar player) and only on him. First off, the band is named after him, WTF is that about I would be pissed off if I was a member of the band and the band name only represented the front man. I've read through most of your guys posted through out this thread and seen the only posts about individual members of the band only of Ben. Starting to get my point? I really hate bands like this. Complete slap in the face to the other members who get no spot light in the band.

The guitar scratches in every song kinda gets annoying, but as someone said its there style. If there gonna put out more stuff its gonna get really annoying. They usually go at it with the same style most of the time. Opening riff, little chicken picking, and a hell load of scratches.

After Saturate, basically every member besides Ben was replaced... To me I don't like this, because the new members are going to be covering songs that didn't write the riffs for or lyrics (if they helped out Ben..?) I don't know its just not right in my opinion.

The reason I know so much about Breaking Benjamin is because they are from my home town. Everyone here loves them and what pissed me off so much is that they don't know any more than the songs Diary of Jane, Breath, and Polyamorous. They are the only big thing from around here. When they come here now, its sold out before tickets go on sale. I seen BB at least 20 times now. I used to love them opening up when they were touring for there first CD that would have half there set Nirvana Covers.

For the bad news... rumor has it in our home town that this is Breaking Benjamin's last CD. Word wasn't "officially" released but thats what everyone is saying. Lets see what happens. I know a lot about Breaking Benjamin I just don't like the idea of the whole spot light being revolved around Ben.

Don't fall asleep reading my post :p
Quote by Titans4Lyfe
After Saturate, basically every member besides Ben was replaced... To me I don't like this, because the new members are going to be covering songs that didn't write the riffs for or lyrics (if they helped out Ben..?) I don't know its just not right in my opinion.

They've only replaced one member, and that was the drummer. Aaron and Mark are still in the band.

And as for Phobia being their last album; why in the hell would they just stop making albums at the peek of their success? They all seem to get along fine now, so I think that those rumors are completly untrue
Quote by Titans4Lyfe
Breaking Benjamin in my opinion is a great band. Best band around today that makes you eliminate all that emo and rap sh*t.

But, the only thing that I dislike about the band is, to me the whole "band" is only focused on Ben Burnley (the lead singer and rhythm guitar player) and only on him. First off, the band is named after him, WTF is that about I would be pissed off if I was a member of the band and the band name only represented the front man. I've read through most of your guys posted through out this thread and seen the only posts about individual members of the band only of Ben. Starting to get my point? I really hate bands like this. Complete slap in the face to the other members who get no spot light in the band.

The guitar scratches in every song kinda gets annoying, but as someone said its there style. If there gonna put out more stuff its gonna get really annoying. They usually go at it with the same style most of the time. Opening riff, little chicken picking, and a hell load of scratches.

The reason I know so much about Breaking Benjamin is because they are from my home town. Everyone here loves them and what pissed me off so much is that they don't know any more than the songs Diary of Jane, Breath, and Polyamorous. They are the only big thing from around here. When they come here now, its sold out before tickets go on sale. I seen BB at least 20 times now. I used to love them opening up when they were touring for there first CD that would have half there set Nirvana Covers.

For the bad news... rumor has it in our home town that this is Breaking Benjamin's last CD. Word wasn't "officially" released but thats what everyone is saying. Lets see what happens. I know a lot about Breaking Benjamin I just don't like the idea of the whole spot light being revolved around Ben.

Don't fall asleep reading my post :p

I'll admit, Breaking Benjamin isnt exactly the best band name ever but oh well. You said looking at the posts here everyone only talks about Ben, well that is probably true but go to almost an Modern Rock band (That doesnt have some incredibly talented Guitarist) and the only person really talked about will be the singer. Besides it's not bad enough that this sounds like some singer's solo album. Just close your eyes and listen to any song and forget their band name, doesn't sound that much focused on Ben, at least compared to pretty much all other bands out there. But yeah I'll be the first to admit that Breaking Benjamin was a bad band name. Only good thing about it is that it kinda sticks out though.

Plus Ben is a really talented singer too. Chad is actually a very good drummer if you take the time to listen to the drums in Breath, Diary of Jane, etc.. and Hummel was also great, listen to Natural Life and So Cold. Mark is a very underrated bassist. He writes some strong counter melodies, listen to Phase to hear what I mean and I love how he occasionally incorporates some bass slapping in his songs like the intro to Breakdown, Simple Design and the bridge of Polyamorous. Plus he gets a very nice tone out of his Warwick. Listen to the verse of Breath to hear it clearly, or if you have the live DVD, watch that. Especially when the bass comes in at the intro to So Cold. Aaron is a good guitarist too, he's nothing ground breaking but you have to give him credit. I'm no guitarist though (I play bass/drums) so maybe an experienced guitarist here can analyze Aaron's work for me.

Quote by Titans4Lyfe
The guitar scratches in every song kinda gets annoying

This is going to make me look like a dumb ass but what do you mean by scratches. Pick slides?

Quote by Titans4Lyfe
basically every member besides Ben was replaced

3rdActGuitarist is right, Hummel, their old drummer was the only one to be replaced. They had a couple drummers in between Hummel and Chad to fill in for shows but they never showed up on any recordings.

Comparing Phobia to Saturate though itt doesnt sound like all new people though. They've all matured as musicians (inculding Ben with his vocal work).

Quote by 3rdActguitarist
And as for Phobia being their last album; why in the hell would they just stop making albums at the peek of their success? They all seem to get along fine now, so I think that those rumors are completly untrue

Saturate=250,000 Copies
We Are Not Alone=1,200,000
Phobia=600,000-700,000

Right now I wouldnt exactly call this the "peak" of their success but I see no reason for them to break up yet. They are more popular now than ever but popularity doesn't always equal album sales. Especially with all those limewiring bastards and people who buy one CD and make 9999999999 copies and give them out to all their friends.

Sure We Are Not Alone has been out longer than Phobia but it was released June 2004, and went platinum May 2005. Phobia was released August 2006 and its already June 2007 and is just over gold (500k copies sold). It's progressing much slower than We Are Not Alone. The only chance for Phobia to make it gold is for the third single to get more success than Diary of Jane and Breath. Right now Phobia sells between 7,000-11,000 copies a week so with either no third single or a push from Hollywood Records, Platinum would take another year at this rate.

Wow that has to be the longest post I've ever written.
Last edited by __Ronnie__ at Jun 12, 2007,
Billy Corgan writes there songs for them
I Return to Serenity

"After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music."
- Aldous Huxley
Quote by #_of_the_beast
Billy Corgan writes there songs for them

hes written like 3 or 4. we already went over this a few pages ago

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Former members:
Jeremy Hummel - Drums
Jonathan Price - Bass

See your still talking about the band name, thats not really my point. I'm talking about how the whole band is pretty much all about Ben. Honestly, how often do you hear Mark yeah what a great bassist. Arron what a amazing lead guitarist. Hardly ever, my point. The band name was just a example, which he got by dropping a mic and breaking it when he was younger.

For the scratches, I mean like the chorus for Polyamorous and just the beginning chorus for Breath (those are scratches).. If you listen closely in mostly all there songs they do that. There music gets to be repeative in my opinion.

Ok, you guys are talking about success why they wouldn't break up. Like I said it a rumor down here, nobody knows for sure but, I'm gonna back it up. Why should success be based on happiness. If Breaking Ben goes triple platinum or something could that make them happier? Necessarily no. Just because the bands doing better with fame and fouturne doesn't necessarily make them get as long as much. The rumor is that the band doesn't get along. From seeing them live they seem as if they like each other. At the end of the last show I seen Ben walked over to Arron gave him him a hug and told him he loved him...
Quote by Titans4Lyfe
Former members:
Jeremy Hummel - Drums
Jonathan Price - Bass

See your still talking about the band name, thats not really my point. I'm talking about how the whole band is pretty much all about Ben. Honestly, how often do you hear Mark yeah what a great bassist. Arron what a amazing lead guitarist. Hardly ever, my point. The band name was just a example, which he got by dropping a mic and breaking it when he was younger.

For the scratches, I mean like the chorus for Polyamorous and just the beginning chorus for Breath (those are scratches).. If you listen closely in mostly all there songs they do that. There music gets to be repeative in my opinion.

Ok, you guys are talking about success why they wouldn't break up. Like I said it a rumor down here, nobody knows for sure but, I'm gonna back it up. Why should success be based on happiness. If Breaking Ben goes triple platinum or something could that make them happier? Necessarily no. Just because the bands doing better with fame and fouturne doesn't necessarily make them get as long as much. The rumor is that the band doesn't get along. From seeing them live they seem as if they like each other. At the end of the last show I seen Ben walked over to Arron gave him him a hug and told him he loved him...

I heard ther doing fine emotionally too, but Ive heard they're not so I've heard both.

I see what you mean by the scratches. Doesnt bother me too much though but I understand the repetitiveness. (If thats a word)

As far as hearing Mark, I actually hear Mark a lot. Big ass sub woofer and playing bass myself has trained my ears to be able to sort of sort through the guitar and pick out the bass perfectly. Plus it's always very easy to hear him live. Bassists are usually easy to ehar live but are hard in recordings due to the song files being compressed and other factors.

Aaron isn't really that bad. He's probably average, maybe slightly above average. Compared to the guitarists of other modern rock bands that are in their same genre, like Three Days Grace, Chevelle, etc... hes not that bad.
wow i just heard "blow me away" and i cant believe i havent heard that song before, amazingness!
Quote by bignuts20
wow i just heard "blow me away" and i cant believe i havent heard that song before, amazingness!

That's the song that introduced me to BB. Heard it while playing Halo 2 and decided to look it up my computer and found out it was by BB. Damn cool song.
Quote by __Ronnie__
That's the song that introduced me to BB. Heard it while playing Halo 2 and decided to look it up my computer and found out it was by BB. Damn cool song.

True that
"For Us, For Them, For You"
yeah i wish Blow Me Away wasnt on a single. i love that song and it was better live! but i dont have it

These guys are a great live band. Bens voice is jsut as it is on teh albums. i wish they woulda played unknown soldier though.

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
I have never head Blow Me Away. I'm more of a stick with the formal discography kind of person.
Quote by stepco12345
I have never head Blow Me Away. I'm more of a stick with the formal discography kind of person.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=9bVMiWPB9Wo

LTD MH-400
Line 6 Uber Metal
Line 6 Echo Park
Peavey Valveking 112
Last edited by HugeRed at Jun 16, 2007,
There's a live video on youtube somewhere of an early performance of Shallow Bay where Aaron adds in a solo that goes for a minute or two, while the other members retune for a second and so on. Think the good bit about his guitar playing is that it isn't overdone - as though no notes are wasted, in a way.
Quote by xgrapefruitx
I can't hear the text.

That was in response to the instrumental video of Blow Me Away.
Quote by HugeRed
yeah i wish Blow Me Away wasnt on a single. i love that song and it was better live! but i dont have it

These guys are a great live band. Bens voice is jsut as it is on teh albums. i wish they woulda played unknown soldier though.

Amen to that one! 'Unknown Soldier' is one of the most underrated songs on the Phobia album
Any Shallow Bay members here? It's B.B.'s official fan ite and forum. Anyhow for y two cents, i have to say I've been a breaking benjamin fan since the beginning almost. I was hooked when i heard "water" off the Saturate album. Every album has been a progression, and it just keeps getting better. Phobia to me is Ben Burnley's best display of vocal talent thus far. I'd say my favorite songs though are Until the End, Unknown Soldier, Topless, Ordinary man, Phase, & Skin.
1) Aaron fink is a great guitarist. His true talent lies in being able to knit subtle riffs and licks together which add depth and melody to the band's songs, not necessarily in the complexity of the pieces he writes. Come on, anyone that's been playing the guitar for ten years can write a bunch of fancy solos, shred like a maniac and write airy-fairy atmospherics. It takes true musical talent and humility to blend music the way Aaron does while blending with the rest of band's talent - take a long hard think about songs like Natural Life and Evil Angel. Depth of sound is his art. Mark is much the same - they've been playing together for so long that they're great at playing off each other and making music that's not formulaic and predictable, but still melodic and smooth. Ronnie is right - Mark is an incredibly underrated bassist.

2) Of course there will always be guitar "scratches" - they're used as accents. Get used to it. Haha, I'm not sure what else to say about that. It's not like they're the only accents Ben and Aaron both use, it's just part of their overall style. They use some harmonics, artificial harmonics, and some sliding too if it makes you feel any better.

3) Ben does not write EVERYTHING; every member contributes. Not every member other than Ben was "replaced" after Saturate. Ben, Aaron and Mark were all part of the lineup that signed with Hollywood Records to record Saturate. Jon wrote some of the drum parts but pretty much everything he wrote was refined by Jeremy for recordings on both the EP and Saturate. Chad has been the only real change in the band as-we-know-it, and he's an amazing drummer. (The guy has been a session drummer for some amazing jazz artists in the past...)

4) Christ, enough with the "Billy Corgan" writes their songs; he has writing credits on like 3 of them, but he sure as hell didn't write them single handedly without the band.

5) Over 20 Breaking Ben shows and you still think all their songs sound the same? bigwesut is right - every album has been a growing experience for the band, and the songs from each one have distinct stylistic differences. Sure, Ben's voice always soars, Aaron's guitar always crunches, Mark's bass always fills the space between (and the space between one's ears), and both drummers always rumble, supporting the other instruments yet forcefully rising to fill any remaining space with resounding effect. But Saturate is rough and grungy, WANA is more refined, with better flow and more mainstream melodies, while Phobia is more aggressive, more complex and as someone else said, "infiltrates your headspace". I could be technical and break down how each song is different, but this post is already boring and long enough!

6) Mark my words, I promise you Phobia will outsell WANA.

Sorry if this is a little caustic; I just hate it when people sh*t on my favorite band! My favorite Breaking Benjamin songs are Dance with the Devil, Evil Angel, Natural Life, Phase, So Cold and Simple Design. I'm an avid guitarist and vocalist and have covered a few Breaking Ben songs over the years - arranging their stuff with a whole band is challenging but fun. Keep on rockin' Benheads!
Any Shallow Bay members here?QUOTE]

I was until I forgot my password and username

Nice post there Memento. Say, do you like Kamelot?

Well today I got the Collector Edition of Phobia (could've gotten the special edition Kreator - Enemy of God or Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos CD's, but couldn't find them at the local Best Buy so I passed). The live recording was awesome. You can hear every instruments perfectly, though Ben's voice was drowned out a couple of times. Setlist wasn't bad either, but it would be neat to hear Blow Me Away or Forever live.

Did anyone catches them on The Late Late Show? I thought the performance was tight.

By the way, does anyone have a clear picture of Ben's custom PRS hollowbody?
Last edited by Paroxysm at Jul 7, 2007,
Quote by Wikipedia
The band did not perform on July 9 of 2007 in Atlanta at the Tabernacle due to an illness that Ben had. The fans were incredibly angry and threw refreshments at the road crew, hitting one in the head with a full water bottle. No injuries, however, were reported.

Lol, quite descriptive.