LiquidTension99
197 IQ
Has anyone ever heard of them? I just heard them the other day and they're amazing.
The Virtuoso
L'Étranger
3,904 IQ
Yeah, I found out about them from here but I didn't actually hear them until a friend of mine gave me some of their songs, and yes they rule. Listen to Grace, that is one of the best songs ever written imo. Also check out Refletions, I'll give you some more to check out later.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
hepzibahbaptist
Soupy
1,790 IQ
Do you have their website, any videos, mp3s ?
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
malmsteen61
UG's jim morrison fanatic
182 IQ
i havnt heard much of them but im a fan of ron jarzombeck (sp?) when he was in watchtower so the have to be good
Talon6
Is a Drummer
55 IQ
Own both their albums, they're terrific; especially the tracks Jarzombek and Myung guest in. "Dancing Rivers" is the highlight of their catalog.
Bodies.
omarrodrigez
UG Board King
527 IQ
I love Gordian Knot, great band. It's like Cynic combined with prog rock greats (Levin, Bruford, Myung, etc.).
Emo is to music as etch-a-sketch is to art.

Quote by TMVolta19
Music can't really be judged, since it's all on the same level. Unless it's screamo. then it sucks.
threedomfighter
79 IQ
They're one of my favourites, I have both their albums.
"Excitement in music comes from tension in the beats. If you only offer the complex beat, people tend to only perceive it as a complex beat. If you offer the simple at the same time, there is the excitement, there is music." -Bill Bruford
cfrank
52 IQ
Quote by The Virtuoso
Yeah, I found out about them from here but I didn't actually hear them until a friend of mine gave me some of their songs, and yes they rule. Listen to Grace, that is one of the best songs ever written imo. Also check out Refletions, I'll give you some more to check out later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtKSe-22Va0

I found out about this band yesterday and it's really amazing. Didn't knew it was from cynic's bassist. Cool!
TheLlamaMan
491 IQ
Yeah, I've heard their first album after a friend of mine showed me them.. Pretty epic. I did a review too One of those awesome supergroups noone hears about like Liquid Tension Experiment
surface54
500 IQ
the song grace is stellar off of Gordian Knot, the 1998 album.
you might want to check out Aeon Spoke.
guys from Cynic.
Baby Strange
Plunder Bunny
12 IQ
Checked them out due to the Cynic connection but was pleasantly surprised.
I've only listened to Emergent, though that seems to have disappeared off of my computer *confused*
thejoeman
497 IQ
I am a big fan of Gordian Knot. I was trying real hard to find a good fusion between Heavy Metal and Jazz, and I found it. Many rock bands do incorporate Jazz in their songs but not in a fusion like Gordian Knot and Joe Satriani. I imagine it being real hard work, especially for Bass players, to come up with a complex-jazzy song structure while still making the sound heavy.
Last edited by thejoeman at Aug 14, 2009,
ctfod
Your move, creep
1,105 IQ
Sean Malone is a fantastic bassist, who has awesome technical ability but also writes very tasteful music, but doesn't get the credit he should.
Quote by duncang
maybe it's because i secrely agree that tracedin inymballsackistheb best album ever

he's got the fire and the fury,
at his command
well you don't have to worry,
if you hold onto jesus' hand
|_JR_|
Something awkward.
772 IQ
Gordian Knot is one of my favourite bands and definitely the one with which I can identify the most in terms of style... Rivers Dancing is a goddamned masterpiece.

Recently I found a bunch of mentions in sites such as last.fm of what's supposed to be albums by them, such as "A Mid Summer Knot's Dream" or "Jenny Adair" but which are clearly fake.. why would anyone do that? Has Knot even done anything since 2003, or did they disband?
Steve08
Lord of Battery
390 IQ
Quote by |_JR_|
Gordian Knot is one of my favourite bands and definitely the one with which I can identify the most in terms of style... Rivers Dancing is a goddamned masterpiece.

Recently I found a bunch of mentions in sites such as last.fm of what's supposed to be albums by them, such as "A Mid Summer Knot's Dream" or "Jenny Adair" but which are clearly fake.. why would anyone do that? Has Knot even done anything since 2003, or did they disband?
They're not really disbanded, as far as I know-- it's basically just Sean Malone's project so he mostly chooses whenever they make a new album or tour.
Deplorable
LIVING HARDCORE RADIKULT
601 IQ
Does anyone else like the original version of Grace is better than the newer one. Apart from that Emergent kicks s/t's ass.
Deplorable
LIVING HARDCORE RADIKULT
601 IQ
Quote by sextacy
The version of "Grace" off Emergent is actually a live track. Both the live track and the original kick ass.

I had a feeling, but there's just something missing from it that the other version has.
|_JR_|
Something awkward.
772 IQ
Yeah, the original has that awesome strings ending. I don't think the live version has it.

I usually prefer studio recordings over live ones. They take their time to nail everything, and there's the goodies of post-production. One exception: Joe Satriani.

*sigh*... I miss the Knot :/