Page 1 of 2
I read this book about tube amps the other day where the guy said you should basically focus all your money on your amp cos even a crap guitar will sound ok through a decent amp, while a decent guitar will sound crap through a bad amp. I personally sort of half agree - amps are half the story.

Your views?
90% amp
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
thats pretty much the case. i think a mesa might be able to make a squier sound half decent. but then again, if the guitar sucks, and isnt any fun to play, it wont be as good.
This is how you keep a blonde busy for hours!
Click Here

Quote by gsr2k6
My gf tryed to click your sig link and then asked me why it wouldnt work .

Oh.. wait....
amps make a huge difference, and i think what you read is pretty much true, thats if by 'bad guitar' they mean low quality/cheap, instead of horribly set up and out of tune.
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
yeah i'll add to that...90% amp, 5% pickups, and the last 5% is strings and your effects chain and stuff like that.
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I think the amp is most important. I've played a $150 strat copy through my hot rod and it was sounding amazing. I've also played my american strat through a cheap fender ss amp and thought it sounded horrible.
Amps are important but the sound comes from your playing so you really need a comfortable guitar
#57 of the Alter Bridge Fan Club
I agree. If u have a great guitar but a crappy/O.K. amp it will sound like shit/O.K. On the other end if u have a REALLY shity guitar but a great amp will still sound like shit. However if u have a fairly descent guitar and a great amp it should sound great. Of course it will still probably sound better with a better guitar but not too much.
Better guitar, better playability.
Better amp, way better sound.

End of story.
METALLICA.
Quote by el_strato
thats pretty much the case. i think a mesa might be able to make a squier sound half decent. but then again, if the guitar sucks, and isnt any fun to play, it wont be as good.

+1.

it's mostly the amp, but at the same time you won't find too many people playing a squier through a dumble, for example.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My Squier through my AD30VT doesn't sound half bad. Through the ol' 10-watter? Crap. Utter crap. Now I have a tone that I rather like.
pretty much but you still need a playable guitar. meaning, not like $1000 amp and $50 guitar, lol.

but amp>guitar definitely
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

amp is not everything, but a shit amp sounds like shit, and a good amp sounds good...

everything else makes a good amp great.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

80% amp
10% guitar
9% effects (varies depending on what exactly you use)
1% fingers
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
80% amp
10% guitar
1% fingers

so if you play through stevie ray vaughan's rig it would sound 99% like Stevie?

news to me
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Quote by Archeo Avis
80% amp
10% guitar
1% fingers

Hahahaha... if I were you, I would have deleted that post after reading it. Then again, I wouldn't ever come up with such BS.
Quote by Cmogi10
amp is not everything, but a shit amp sounds like shit, and a good amp sounds good...

everything else makes a good amp great.

that's a nice way of putting it.

Quote by Archeo Avis
80% amp
10% guitar
1% fingers

everyone else has had their shot, so I might as well have mine too...

so someone who can't play guitar will sound 99% as good as vai through his exact rig?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
everyone else has had their shot, so I might as well have mine too...

so someone who can't play guitar will sound 99% as good as vai through his exact rig?

if you can afford it, or get lucky enough to get to play it.

but no.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
I know some idiots who pay like 1000 bucks for a LP Studio or American Strat, just to run it through a cheap Crate or Spider.

If you have 1000 bucks to spend, spend 300-350 for a decent playable guitar (Mexi Fender or Epi for most people) and then the rest on a good amp.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by That_Pink_Queen
I know some idiots who pay like 1000 bucks for a LP Studio or American Strat, just to run it through a cheap Crate or Spider.

If you have 1000 bucks to spend, spend 300-350 for a decent playable guitar (Mexi Fender or Epi for most people) and then the rest on a good amp.

^ One of my friend's mates just forked out for a USA razorback and plays it through a Spider II.

He spent £2000 on a below-par guitar to run it through a really poor amp.

*insert ishmael's avatar here*
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
^^ +1 on pink.

^

*also insert dirk's avatar*
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
this really doesnt make any sense, they both are needed equally to get sound at all... so if I get rid of my guitar i still got 90 percent of tone? Bitch please, i can get a better tone of my acoustic than your guitarless amp....
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
^You know what we mean.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
I wouldn't say it's 90% amp, but it is mostly amp. Next, your pickups, wood quality, etc are important.

The overlooked variable, though, is the fingers. Those are important as anything else when it comes to achieving a certain sound.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by batman123
this really doesnt make any sense, they both are needed equally to get sound at all... so if I get rid of my guitar i still got 90 percent of tone? Bitch please, i can get a better tone of my acoustic than your guitarless amp....

they are talking about rigs. guitar amp and maybe effects used together.
and they are assigning %, based on importance to each part's role in overall tone.
now do u get it?

on a similar note. i suppose if u get rid of ur fingers the other guy ^ thinks ull still sound 99% ok.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 4, 2007,
Quote by jj1565
they are talking about rigs. guitar amp and maybe effects used together.
and they are assigning %, based on importance to each part's role in overall tone.
now do u get it?

on a similar note. i suppose if u get rid of ur fingers the other guy ^ thinks ull still sound 99% ok.

yes i know, that was my heavy use of sarcasm, I just think that you really shouldnt give it in percent figures because everything is nessessary to sound at all... Like what makes everyone think that its 90% amp? I've heard amazing guitars through fender frontmans that sound just gorgeous... I kid you not.
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Takamine G340SC
Epiphone G 310
i say around
70% amp
10% pickups
10% guitar
10% effects chains

i do beleive that your fingers play a roll in tone but thats just a case of it being unique
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

the speaker shapes the tone my brutha. and i was sort of dripping in sarcasm myself.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

^But don't you take that into consideration with your amp?!?!?! This is all so confusing!!!!!!!!

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
yeah sorry, i was talking about the amp/ speaker. jungle jumped in when i was answering Batman.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

my amp is such a huge part of my sound, but it sounds so different from strat to gibson, or even strat to strat.

I think everything is equally important to finding your sound, but the amp makes the hugest difference.
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

The amps far from everything, you don't wnat too much difference in the quality of your equipment. The amp can hold back the guitar, but not the other way round, the easiest way to look at its...

A crap amp can make a great guitar sound crap
A good amp will let ANY guitar, great or crap, sound as good as possible.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by Archeo Avis
40% amp
19% guitar
1% effects (varies depending on what exactly you use)
40% fingers

fixed
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

I'd say
70% amp
20% guitar
10% effects

I didn't include fingers because to me they don't count as gear....

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Amp...60
Guitar...20
Strings, pickups, pick, fingers, cables, tubes, etc...20%

Didn't count effects because the effect on tone ranges wildly....a clean boost will make a small difference, 18 fuzz factories would probably make you sound rather different than usual.
Quote by jj1565
yeah sorry, i was talking about the amp/ speaker. jungle jumped in when i was answering Batman.

It's okay, i was just giving you a hard time

Quote by ibz_bucket

Quote by tubetime86
90% fingers
9% amp
1% guitar
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
these percents are retarded, they cant be divied into percents
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Page 1 of 2